Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Fallout 4

Postby dakazu » Nov 21st, 2015 @ 4:09am

Figured I'd make a thread.

Going to Diamond city got me back to exploring. Trying to manage my settlements in between mission so I sell everything.

I do have one pet peeve. I don't like how my guy meets every NPC and addresses them by their 1st name regardless of never meeting them before.
dakazu

Re: Fallout 4

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 21st, 2015 @ 12:34pm

I think I'm nearing the end of Rise of the Tomb Raider so I'll probably be starting this soon.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dakazu » Nov 23rd, 2015 @ 3:20pm

Patch is out. Hopefully they fix a lot of bugs. Last night all my settlement shops stopped working.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 23rd, 2015 @ 4:13pm

I installed it yesterday. I'll start it tonight or tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to like it, this settlement stuff sounds super boring.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 24th, 2015 @ 8:56am

Talking to Justin on the podcast last night, he says the settlement stuff can be skipped almost entirely. I'm only building up what I need in the first area.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Nov 24th, 2015 @ 10:21am

Yep. It's completely optional. I heard there's a quest later in the game where you're required to build an item in order to proceed which requires collecting some junk, but that's another situation where you can do just the bare minimum to get by.

By and large I recommend skipping ALL Minutemen quests if you want to avoid the settlement stuff. This will prevent you from unlocking more settlements which in turn will unlock a slew of infinitely repeatable quests that just clog up your journal.

The one exception is you're going to want to do Garvey's quest to retake The Castle. That's a more significant quest than the bog standard "Settlers need help with raider problem" style quests.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Nov 25th, 2015 @ 12:08am

Using Psycho in this game is actually probably better than the "scream" button in Chivalry.

LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 25th, 2015 @ 10:07am

When you leave the vault are you suppose to have the vaul-tec jumpsuit? Cause my dude is just running around the wasteland in his underwear. I remember picking up 2 blue jumpsuits in the vault but they're not in my inventory.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Nov 25th, 2015 @ 3:06pm

It should have automatically equipped you with a Vault 111 jumpsuit when you entered your cryopod. Must have bugged for you somehow or you accidentally dropped it. Wiki says there are in fact other 111 suits in the vault so you probably picked them up. There's no reason they shouldn't be in your inventory. Are you sure you're on the apparel tab?

Anyways, there are other vaults in the game where you can get different numbered suits if you want the functionality of them. Or there's console codes you can use to just add the 111 suit to your inventory. Otherwise there are plenty of other underclothes you can get pretty early in the game. The ones that fully go under armor like army fatigues, road leathers, raider leathers, long johns, etc.

Since I'm in my PA 99% of the time I just wear the outfit I like the most of and completely ignore the standard armor system.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Nov 26th, 2015 @ 12:16pm

Does PA not stack with your regular armor?
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Nov 26th, 2015 @ 12:21pm

Nope, it negates and replaces it. My damage resist stat on foot from just my outfit is 30. When it's in PA it's well over a thousand.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 26th, 2015 @ 6:16pm

Restarted the game. All is good now
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dakazu » Nov 28th, 2015 @ 5:37am

I've been focusing on mod perks and it's made combat super easy. Trade off is that I'm obsessively trying to gather crafting materials and having to drop them off frequently. Gotta max out my perks for max carrying capacity.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 28th, 2015 @ 10:43am

I'm really tempted to just turn off encumbrance
Last edited by Mr_eX on Nov 28th, 2015 @ 10:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Nov 28th, 2015 @ 10:51am

encumbrance is fucking stupid, yo. Hi I'm going to magically carry around 200 lbs of cheese on my body with no visual indicators that I'm doing so, but if I have 201lbs, I magically can't walk! What a shit system. In the quest to be more 'realistic' they made it less so. Just let me carry anything and everything ala FF.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Nov 28th, 2015 @ 10:52am

I haven't found encumbrance an issue at all and I collect a LOT of junk and am completely perked out to be able to build anything. Between me (even before I started wearing power armor) and a companion we could usually hold 2-3 dungeons worth of junk and then I'd just warp to base and drop it all off between. Once you wear PA and mod the legs for carry weight you can carry like 350+ (with my measly strength) on top of whatever your companion has. If encumbrance is that big an issue you're looting way too much garbage and need to be smarter about what you pick up. Make sure you flag the specific components you need so they are highlighted and you don't end up wasting a lot of weight on items that are just wood/steel with no rare components in it. Also looting shit like armor and clothing is pointless. Just loot expensive guns to sell if you need money (I have like 50k caps and money has never been an issue. The perk that makes you find more ammo in containers is much more helpful at earning money than any other loot or the "find more caps" perk IMO). Armor is almost never worth the weight/caps ratio.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Nov 28th, 2015 @ 10:57am

Oh, and be spartan about the type of recovery shit you bring with you. Food in particular is HEAVY. In the beginning of the game when stimpacks were at a premium, having a lot of meat and food on me was mandatory, but as soon as I grew out of it, and now that I have 300+ stimpacks I never bring any food with me. Just a couple rad-x, a couple rad away and my collection of stims and it takes no weight at all. My character actually with my main guns on me and no other junk/miscellany on me is at like 50-75 weight out of 200-whatever.

Even early on I wouldn't treat your stimpacks like they're too special. Most dungeons you'll get like 4-6 of them off enemy corpses and from med stations in bathrooms and shit. I'm constantly using far less than I loot, which is how I've accrued so many.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Nov 28th, 2015 @ 10:59am

I've seen screenshots from people that used console commands to fuck with encumbrance too where the game bugged out and it says they are holding 5,000+ weight worth of shit on them at all times even when their inventory is empty, so beware of that.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Nov 28th, 2015 @ 1:06pm

LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Nov 29th, 2015 @ 3:25am

I'm starting to sour on this game. You spend so much time in inventory management instead of questing its stupid.

Also most of the quests are "go to this location and kill everything". I've only run into a few quests that had unique boss encounters or was dialogue heavy with interesting choices. Enemies are also a complete joke because I've been Spec-ing in weapon and armor mods. Have the perks to make fusion cores last twice as long and my cores are always 30+ now.

Where's the Fallout Vegas cannibal quest equivalent? Or Fallout 3 Megaton vs Tenpenny tower? Have I spent all my time in settlement management that I'm missing out or something? I finally visited Goodneighbor and got some quests there but, again, they are fetch quests or clear out location quests.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Nov 29th, 2015 @ 8:42am

Fucking moron. How many times do I have to tell you to ignore settlements? Do you have me on ignore here? Yes you're playing the game wrong. Did you do the Silver Shroud quest? I bet you haven't. God damned idiot.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Nov 29th, 2015 @ 11:02am

LiQuid wrote:Fucking moron. How many times do I have to tell you to ignore settlements? Do you have me on ignore here? Yes you're playing the game wrong. Did you do the Silver Shroud quest? I bet you haven't. God damned idiot.

Lol are you retarded? So far Settlement quests have been 75% of the game and you want me to just ignore them?

I just got the Silver Shroud quest which seems like yet another fetch quest but I guess I'll look into it.

Last night I turned off encumbrance and it cut down my Inventory management by 1000%. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Nov 29th, 2015 @ 11:51am

You actually don't understand dude. The REASON settlement quests are 75% of the game is because you're doing them. If you had stopped after rescuing the initial Minutemen and then NEVER interacted with those guys again you would actually be playing Fallout 4 instead of a half-assed base building game. Every single quest you get from Garvey is OPTIONAL, and not optional in a way that a normal-ass "side quest" is optional. They are optional in that they ONLY exist to expand on the base building, which you claim to not like... So you're actively sabotaging your experience by continuing to expand a system of the game that you don't like and only exists to waylay actual progress.

I've been trying to tell you this so long, I don't understand why you can't comprehend it.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Nov 29th, 2015 @ 11:54am

Also ALL of the Minutemen based radiant quests should be ignored! They will never end and failing them has NO repercussion. They only exist as a means to give you infinite exp to grind on. If someone is kidnapped at a settlement you have to try (please god fucking try) to ignore it because that person WILL GET KIDNAPPED OVER AND OVER AGAIN FOREVER AND SAVING THEM IS MEANINGLESS. Same thing with your settlements being attacked. There's no reason to help them. They will survive without your help. If you don't have any beds in a settlement and their happiness drops to 0 IT DOESN'T MATTER.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Nov 29th, 2015 @ 3:17pm

Lol why is it in the game then?
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Nov 29th, 2015 @ 3:56pm

To give obsessive people something to obsess over. Back in old Fallouts they just gave you a standard house with almost nothing you could customize in it and a lot of people wished they could add a bunch of nonsense to it. The same reason the Hearthfire expansion exists for Skyrim. It's time sink bullshit. It has no bearing on the actual game.

It's actually hilarious that you keep complaining about something you don't like yet won't stop perpetuating.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 1:56am

I can't help it! My OCD tendencies are taking over!!!
dakazu

Postby totoro » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 6:44am

This from the guy who tells people to skip optional Bloodborne bosses.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro

Postby CrossXhunteR » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 7:05am

This takes no skill to do.
CrossXhunteR

Postby DarthEnder » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 7:47am

I'm also just building up Sanctuary and not really worry about anyplace else.

Well, not totally not worrying. I still do them all. I just don't really build them up. When I get a new settlement location, I scrap everything in the zone. Then every settlement gets 3 beds, 3 water, 3 food and a turret.

As for Sanctuary, I've been playing with it a bunch, and, like with everything else in Fallout, it's overabundance of freedom just makes it really janky. Building shit would be 100x better if the game just had some kind of overhead RTS style view of the settlement you could build from, instead of having to walk around and manually place shit. And since the game lets you put shit anywhere and doesn't have some kind of grid or tileset system in place, nothing fits together right. Walls/fences are the worst, because even though they snap to each other, they don't snap to the ground, so they leave gaps all over the place when you build them on slopes.

I also wish everything you build didn't automatically look like shit. I'm literally grinding up sinks and toilets into ceramic and building a new toilet from scratch and it still looks like a broken toilet. And every building I make still looks like it got hit by a bomb.

Is there a console command to just switch off encumberence? I only found a command to increase my weight limit.

Also, the game needs a "scrap all junk" option.
DarthEnder

Next
Forum Statistics