Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Fallout 4

Postby LiQuid » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 8:44am

Why does the game need a scrap all junk option? Once it's in your bench the game automatically scraps junk as its needed. You literally don't have to think about it anymore once it's deposited.

There are a lot of tricks you can use to make building better. Way too many for me to go over here, but one of the ones I learned on my own for fences is when you're making one, start your fence at the LOWEST point in the terrain. The rest of the pieces will snap to that piece, even if they submerge themselves in the ground a bunch. So your fence will be level with itself, but it will not be uniform height from the surface of the ground. I think it looks good this way as it's not floating up above the ground at all. Here's an example of one of my gardens:

Started it at the lowest spot in the terrain here:

By the time it wraps around to the other side of the garden it's practically fully sunk, but at no point is it floating.

That part where it stops being enclosed there I actually couldn't snap anymore posts to it because it was too low in the ground, so obviously you still wanna do this on as flat a surface as possible. I thought it still looked good even partially open like that. I just used that opening to enter it rather than making a gated piece of fence.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 8:50am

For general building tips check this out:

I learned some valuable tips from this video, like how you can grab the entirety of a group of placed items by holding A, and holding A+L1 to move them vertically without moving your character. The most valuable tip was the last one, about building all of your structure on the edge of raised foundation blocks, that way you can pick up the whole bunch of items and place them with no regard to clipping. I've made some pretty cool floating structures like that.

There are a bunch of other build tips that are possible only on PC with 'the tcl' console command, but I don't like fucking with that stuff personally so I don't use them.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 10:13am

Is there any easy way to scrap armor and weapons, short of tossing them on the floor?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 10:14am

Go to the armor/weapon crafting benches with them in your inventory. There's a button to scrap them.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 12:36pm

LiQuid wrote:Why does the game need a scrap all junk option? Once it's in your bench the game automatically scraps junk as its needed. You literally don't have to think about it anymore once it's deposited.
It does if I want, to, say, build a bunch of turrets in another settlement, and I need circuitry, and instead of just taking circuitry out of the bank, I have to look and see what items have it, then take them out, and carry them around instead.

That's why I've taken to, every time I return home after doing stuff, I dump all the junk on the ground, then bring up the build interface and scrap it all. So all I end up with is materials.

It's a pain in the ass though, and there's really no good reason for the game NOT to have a "scrap all junk" button.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 12:46pm

You're meant to use supply lines to build between settlements without having to move junk. If you're planning on building out all your settlements charisma 6 is mandatory.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 1:17pm

totoro wrote:This from the guy who tells people to skip optional Bloodborne bosses.

You talking about Kevin? :lol: :lol: :lol: That guy will never finish that game. If he's bitching that I'm not helping tell him GET GUD.

Spent yesterday doing companion quests for Cait and McCready. I like Cait alot but I just cleared Trinity Tower and have access to Strong so I might switch to him.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Nov 30th, 2015 @ 1:33pm

Strong's perk is useless if you don't use melee. He was the first companion I maxed out and I regretted it, especially because he got pissy every time I picked a lock.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 3:20pm

Hit level 39 to unlock Armorer/Gun But lvl 4. Now only science lvl 4 remains.

Not that I really need it because combat is still a breeze. Should I bump up the difficulty? I heard you get better legendary loot.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 3:27pm

Not better, just more. Harder difficulties add a multiplier to the probability that all monsters will spawn legendary.

Another important thing about survival mode tho is that unless you have leveled the Medic perk, when you use stims and radaways they tick up your health V E R R R R R R Y slowly. Like a stimpack will take like a full minute to resolve itself. By that point in the game I was basically invulnerable anyways tho, rare ever, if at all, using stims, so yeah if you're just stomping around in a power armor that's maxed out you could try turning up the difficulty. I opted to just not use the armor as much, but I really missed having a jet pack. After you get a jet pack you're never going to want to get out of that thing.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 7:49pm

So, continuing something I was talking about the the Playin' thread, my biggest problem with the new conversation system is the loss of nuances in regards to your own skills.

One of my favorite things in FO3, and even moreso in FONV, was the way you constantly got new conversation options and resolutions based on your skills. "I'm a master Medic, I know exactly why that guy is sick." "I'm a master mechanic, I can fix that for you no problem". "I'm a master at speech, why don't we just not fight instead."

Near as I can tell, none of that is present in this game.

Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the granularity of skills at all. Converting them into perks with 4-5 levels is completely fine with me. But the game never seems to let you refer to them during conversations at all. The game occasionally has some kind of persuasion checks, but they seem to be based purely on charisma. I don't even think there's a speech perk at all.

It's just a huge piece of immersion that previous games did really well that seems to be completely absent from this.
DarthEnder

Postby CrossXhunteR » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 7:54pm

I don't know if I ever noticed stuff like that playing through FO3. At least not in the way you are describing it.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 8:54pm

It's a common complaint Ender. It didn't effect my enjoyment of the game, but I understand why other people are miffed over it. That stuff was definitely prevalent in NV. Much less so in 3, but still there, for sure.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 2nd, 2015 @ 1:21am

CrossXhunteR wrote:I don't know if I ever noticed stuff like that playing through FO3. At least not in the way you are describing it.
I guess it didn't happen as much in the original FO3. I played FO3 when it first came out, and didn't play FONV until earlier this year, so I remember it much better.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Dec 2nd, 2015 @ 9:13am

You gotta remember, New Vegas was made by a lot of the same people that made the first two Fallout games, so they went above and beyond to add a lot of those "role playing" touches that Bethesda has been shying away from more and more since Morrowind. New Vegas was a really rad game, but at this point it's clear that it's definitely an outlier and we probably won't see another game like it. Obsidian's too busy making tank games.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 2nd, 2015 @ 12:22pm

Very sad really. Didn't New Vegas do well for them? Or is the mama-ship Bethesda threatened by someone making a better game than theirs?
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 2nd, 2015 @ 12:36pm

I'm sure it did fine. I just don't know if Obsidian is still in the business of picking up other peoples' IPs and iterating on them anymore. They haven't done a sequel to another big developer's work in a while.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 3rd, 2015 @ 12:33am

My understanding is that New Vegas did really well, but something about their contract with them caused Obsidian to get almost no money out of it. So it's unlikely that Obsidian would want to work with them again.

Anyway, I want to take a moment here to make a quick story prediction:
Spoiler: show
I haven't progressed enough in the game to find out if this is true or not, but the instant they took my kid, and then the cryo chamber froze me again, I thought "My kid is going to be grown up when I find him".

I feel like that's being positioned to be a big twist, but if that's what happens, I just want to say it was predictable immediately.

One thing I AM super glad is gone in this game though, is weapon and armor decay. I hate that shit and I don't miss it one bit.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Dec 3rd, 2015 @ 12:59am

I don't think they really position it as a "big twist" at all. It's fairly obvious the player that Shaun's not going to be a newborn anymore, given that the MC goes back to cryosleep after the kidnapping. It's weird that they even have the main character thinking that when he first gets out of the 2nd cryonap, but I guess in Fallout's pre-war era the concept of cryogenics hasn't made its way into the realm of worn out science fiction trope yet.

If there's one thing Mr. Robot has taught me is that knowing a "twist" doesn't automatically mean you've been spoiled. More people should watch Mr. Robot. It's the antithesis to #spoilerculture.
LiQuid

Postby dakazu » Dec 3rd, 2015 @ 3:04am

#spoilers

Staying out of this thread for a while
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Dec 3rd, 2015 @ 5:04am

LOL, Jesus Christ dakazu...
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 3rd, 2015 @ 7:59am

Fucking seriously. I'm going to message him some spoilers on Steam.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 3rd, 2015 @ 8:03am

You literally find Shaun after 4 main story missions by the way. Dakazu has been playing this game since the day it came out.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 4th, 2015 @ 8:49am

LiQuid wrote:You literally find Shaun after 4 main story missions by the way. Dakazu has been playing this game since the day it came out.
I mean, I've been playing a lot of hours now too and still haven't reached that point because I actively avoid the main questline.

I JUST got around to freeing the robot detective from the vault.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Dec 7th, 2015 @ 1:03pm

I played some Fallout 4 last night and Jenn & Rodney asked to stream it. I was raiding a base - which is normally a very slow and methodical thing for me. But with an audience I felt pressed to make stupid choices and go in guns blazing to be entertaining. That triggered my OCD really hard with all the goodies I left on the ground b/c of it.

I got to the bottom of this dungeon and killed it's boss, this one woman. Then I read through her logs, and learned that all she wanted was to get her sister - who was kidnapped - back safe and sound. I felt pretty shitty after that. Especially knowing that I actually killed the guy who kidnapped her earlier, and her sister was already dead. The wasteland fuckin' sucks. :(

This game is literally the exact same game as Fallout 3, just with more mechanics stripped out from underneath. I like some things, I grow bored and weary of others. Dungeon diving never stops being fun. Doing on-rails quests is a bother though. I might give up on this one before beating it. I'm too completionist/want to hit up all the dungeons in these kinds of games, but I don't know if my attention span these days will let me. I already put off beating AssCreed to play this. Something else is bound to come along. I'm already getting a burning itch to gunpla, for example.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 7th, 2015 @ 1:18pm

The thing about dungeons is usually methodically clearing them nets you nothing of note unless there's a collectible (bobblehead or magazine) there or a quest specifically sends you to it. I spent the first 20-30 hours of the game methodically exploring everything, getting frustrated that I would be arbitrarily locked out of "finishing" a dungeon, only to find out that a companion quest sent me there later and let me pass it. Even if you "clear" a dungeon, the game un-clears it after a few hours anyways, so it's not like you can even OCD clear the whole game out.

Putting off the quests so you can just wander and explore is our nature, but it's the wrong way to do it unless you actively want the game to absorb a hundred hours of your life, which it sounds like you don't. Even after I cleared the game to the point where I couldn't find any new quests that weren't infinitely repeatable, there were still a handful of places on my map that I hadn't visited. I still don't think I've visited every single location in Skyrim, a game I probably have a thousand hours in. You just gotta turn that off at some point. If a game really wants you to be at a place, it will point you there via a rumor or quest.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 7th, 2015 @ 2:03pm

I went back to that same dungeon I blew thru too fast to clean it out. Picked up a magazine and rare gun I passed over. #worth
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 10th, 2015 @ 3:13am

kenzo wrote:This game is literally the exact same game as Fallout 3, just with more mechanics stripped out from underneath.
Absolutely.

My two biggest complaints remain that they made 3/NV's conversation systems way worse. And that the user interface from 3/NV is exactly the same. Which is to say, terrible.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Dec 10th, 2015 @ 3:26am

I don't really care about stripping out superfluous conversation options that don't really matter for anything in the grand scheme of things. But what irks me is that your character can't build notoriety or personality like you used to be able to. Like, if I've murdered a bunch of civilians, other NPCs should be quaking in their boots around me. And if I've done a bunch of god's work, ppl should be super nice or expectant of me. Instead, they simplified everything a bunch. Which isn't the biggest loss by itself, but that coupled with a dozen other things makes a markedly inferior product.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 10th, 2015 @ 7:43pm

kenzo wrote:I don't really care about stripping out superfluous conversation options that don't really matter for anything in the grand scheme of things.
Do you mean the, like, the grand scheme of the entire universe? Because otherwise, you're full of shit. Proper manipulation of conversation options could resolve SO many situations in NV. To the point where whether you were good or bad at it would make it practically two different games. It literally could NOT have mattered more in the grand scheme of the game itself.
DarthEnder

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics