Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Fallout 4

Postby dakazu » Dec 17th, 2015 @ 1:20pm

Looks like I finally cleared out all the nonrepeatable side quests. Time to finish the main quests.
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » Dec 17th, 2015 @ 4:01pm

How far into the main quests are you? Know any good spoilers yet?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 17th, 2015 @ 7:26pm

I know the spoilers. The plot in this game is actually retarded.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 17th, 2015 @ 8:00pm

The "plot" itself isn't retarded, just the way the game forces you to carry out the ending. There are a lot of good moments scattered throughout the actual game, honestly.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 17th, 2015 @ 11:37pm

No bruh, it's actually retarded. The whole point of the central storyline is to go hunt down the baby that was stolen from you and the ppl who killed ur significant other. But like, why should I, as a player, give two shits about that? The game spends a whole 5 minutes establishing your character and family pre-apocalypse. My character gives a crap about her baby, but I don't, and as a player I have zero motivation to go down and follow a dumb quest to get that stupid baby back that I'm told I should care about but don't. It wants to mean something but not actually do the work to earn it. This is like, storytelling 101 and it's pretty sad to see Bethesda fuck up something so simple.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 12:15am

I mean, it's a baby. You should care about it because it's a baby. But I'm not arguing that the game has a perfect setup, so that's not really relevant. I'm just saying the point to point quest narrative isn't bad. I like a lot of the actual plot beats. Like your confrontation with Kellogg, the mid-late game spoilerable reveals that I won't say for fear of giving Dakazu an actual, real life heart attack. On top of that it's got some neat companions like Nick and Curie (how weird is it that the game's best characters are robots?). A lot of what's bad about the plot in the big picture is that it's hamstrung by the dumbing down of the game's dialog system, which I won't defend, even tho it didn't bother me like it bothered some. But it's kind of inexcusable (especially after New Vegas) that there's no way to speech check your way thru some of the dumb shit the plot forces you to do. If this same story was told in a narrative-focused game like Last of Us without all the open-world Fallout gameplay and with the player funneled down a single, unerring path and with the ending completely redone, people would be lauding it.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 1:01am

LiQuid wrote:it's kind of inexcusable (especially after New Vegas) that there's no way to speech check your way thru some of the dumb shit the plot forces you to do.
I just got done slaughtering an entire idylic town because I wasn't allowed to speech check my way into a compromise where I could both free an innocent girl held captive, and keep everyone else from attacking me on sight. It's kind of ridiculous. I actually hate this game at times. Like, I pumped hella stats into my charisma so I could do some smooth talking and it's all been mostly useless since the convosystem is so gimped. And like, I wouldn't necessarily feel bad about slaughtering that town since the outfit they were running is so fucked up and not even accomplishing what they want to even do, but there were some genuinely good citizens that didn't deserve their heads to explode, and yet they're running after me like rabid jackals b/c fuck that guy I guess.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 2:26am

Yep, that entire quest line actively pissed me off. There is a lot of bad writing in the game. But there's a lot of good stuff too. Aside from things like lore, background and characters, I don't really play Bethesda games for engaging storytelling. I never have. I've played most of their games and it's been suspect for as long as they've existed.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 3:19am

That quest is the fucking worst. Especially since she really is a robot. But like, the village and secret base are littered with evidence that this stupid outfit is full of people with real doubts and proof none of it works. It's a scenario ripe for using some conversing to get people and organization on your side. And yet, no opportunities to do so. And even tho I killed everyone silently and there was no opportunities for backup or get the word out about my villainy, everyone still instantly knew to shoot me on sight.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 5:35am

I mean she was a robot but for crying out loud who even gives a shit. There's so much anti robot paranoia in that game and it's not earned at all. I'm not about the libtard ideals of the railroad but if a robot's just minding their own fucking business, especially if they don't even know they're a robot cut em some slack already. The best part about that quest was I got a good laugh listening to the infodump tapes of the scientists grilling people about baseball like they were giving them a Voight Kampff. "WHAT POSITION DO YOU PLAY?!" "...Uhhh catcher?" :lol:
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 18th, 2015 @ 11:03pm

Jesus Christ, why didn't anyone tell me about Shack Foundations.

I moved all my important people and shit from Sanctuary to The Castle cause it seemed like a cooler main base. But the giant holes in the walls were pissing me off.

So first, I just kinda built huge bridges over them. Which did nothing to stop people from coming in, but at least made the place look more complete from the top. But I wasn't satisfied, so I looked up how other people were doing it, and someone introduced me to the beauty of the Shack Foundation. Which not only completely solved the problem, but about a million other problems I'd been having with the building system(primarily, things looking like shit when built on uneven terrain).

Once the tops of all my walls were evened out, I build metal walls and rooftops, forming metal corridors on top of all 5 walls. Then I put power lines on the roofs of all those hallways. It looks badass as hell. Plus the only actual access to the fort now is the actual gate. Which I can just surround in fucking turrets.

I should probably get back to actually playing the game now.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 1:01am

I actually posted a video in both this and the whatcha playin thread that details the use of shack foundations for building. So I tried man, sorry. IMO the best base of operations is the drive in. So much empty space. I build Tenpenny Tower 2.0 there with a huge shopping district!
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 1:55pm

LiQuid wrote:IMO the best base of operations is the drive in. So much empty space.
I agree with that. Though there's not a ton of room for farming because it's mostly pavement. I was pleasantly surprised though when scrapping the waste barrels in the pool got rid of the radiation.

Although, it seems like every time I walk around that place I set off a new landmine in the projection booth that I somehow never found before...
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Dec 19th, 2015 @ 3:35pm

You're probably tripping the same landmine over and over again, since they don't show up again after you die and quick load but they WILL come back after you leave the area and return to it.

I was able to squeeze all the food I ever needed onto the patch of grass right under the sign and awning by the main restaurant. Posted pics of that on the last page.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Dec 20th, 2015 @ 6:09am

LiQuid wrote:You're probably tripping the same landmine over and over again, since they don't show up again after you die and quick load but they WILL come back after you leave the area and return to it.
Ohhh, that does happen all the time. I'll walk down a hall and set off like 3 mines, then quickload and they've magically disappeared. I assume that's a bug? Or is it some weird feature designed to keep you from looting mines you triggered before?
DarthEnder

Postby dakazu » Jan 6th, 2016 @ 3:13am

Done. Jesus Christ that took a long time.
dakazu

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 13th, 2016 @ 7:51pm

Finished the main story today.

My complaints remain. Conversation system still sucks. User interface remains the worst.

Navigating my inventory towards the end of the game was just SOOOO bad. The game drastically needs more inventory categories.

Clothes and armor should be separate, drugs and food should be separate, junk and materials should be separate, and Misc needs all kinds of breakdowns. Collectables, holotapes, keys, etc.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Jan 13th, 2016 @ 9:08pm

Most clothes take armor slots, so I dunno if separating them will do any good, but I'm sure a mod exists or will exist that at least sections the armor off into slots. Having them all buttfucking in the same pile and alphabetized with no regard to what slot they're for is that inventory system's biggest tragedy. And yeah the entire misc section of the inventory is a debacle. It's bad.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 14th, 2016 @ 1:24pm

And I will say, that while the settlement building was interesting, even knowing about foundations, building things is still touchy as fuck. And, frankly, there are way too many settlements in the game.

Like 2/3rds of them are stupid small, or just have nothing interesting going on in them.

They could have limited it to:
Sanctuary Hills
The Castle
Bunker Hill
Covenant
Egret Tours Marina
Kingsport Lighthouse
The Slog
Starlight Drive-in
Sunshine Tidings Co-op
Warwick Homestead

The other 60% were pointless.

What I want for the next game, is for the region you play in to not have a Megaton/New Vegas/Diamond City style hub city, and for the player to actually build that city.

One giant settlement that you build over the course of the entire game, by collecting actual named NPCs from all over the game, rather than just building a radio and filling it with rando npcs.

Get Obsidian back. Tell them to make New Manhattan.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Jan 14th, 2016 @ 3:37pm

That's a neat idea but the building tools would have to be completely reworked to accommodate it. Megaton and Diamond City had a lot of individual character to them that you can't really replicate with stock prefabs and janky structure placement. At the level of fidelity you'd be creating a settlement like them you might as well be using actual mod tools at that point and I dunno about you but I'm far too stupid to properly utilize mod tools.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Jan 25th, 2016 @ 3:45am

So since beating the game I've just been spending a lot of time dicking around the wasteland, gathering way too much shit.

I eventually got to the point where I'm just wasting resources needlessly overdeveloping my settlements. Only not, in, like, interesting ways. But more templated ways. Where I have this list of things that every settlement will have. Like it's got to have beds, food, and water for 24 people(21 is my current max).

In addition, in every settlement I can fit it in, I end up building this thing I call a Watchtower.
It's just this identical 3 story pain pagoda I build in every town that has 12 Heavy Machine Gun Turrets around it, and an Artillery piece on the roof.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 2nd, 2016 @ 12:26am

Figures that, right AFTER I finish playing the game, they release a patch after the game's been out 3 months that fixes a bunch of the bugs I was having. I logged in just so I could finally assign all my bugged out NPCs properly.

That said, I'm really going to miss that Killshot bug. It was awesome always having 95% accuracy on headshots.
DarthEnder

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 17th, 2016 @ 7:30am

If you guys think you want to get any DLC for this you should probably buy the season pass now. March 1st the price of the season pass goes from $30 to $50. So far they've announced $40 of DLC and more is coming.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Feb 17th, 2016 @ 7:40am

I probably want to get all of the DLC. In 2017. When it is on Steam sale. Season passes are for retards. Season passes are just as bad as pre-ordering games and only retards do it. All that DLC could be shitty trash. Oh but the discount! Why would you pay even a discounted price for shitty trash?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Feb 17th, 2016 @ 8:49am

2 of the announced DLCs are just additions to the janky ass crafting systems. These are precisely the types of DLCs you wait to get on sale.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Feb 17th, 2016 @ 9:02am

Man, this is such dumbfuck, video game industry chicanery and I fucking hate that Bethesda has stooped to it. Increasing the price of a season pass, a dumbfuck concept in the first place, after it had already been available because of some arbitrary expanding of the scope of the DLC. Like, fuck off. This is the kind of bullshit that makes me LOATHE buying video games at full price anymore and refuse to buy Ubi and EA games outright. Fuck bigpublisher videogaming. Entire industry can fucking burn for all I care. The indies will pick up the mantle and do it better, I'm sure.

Queue derpy kenzo shitpost about how he told me so or whatever, who cares.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Feb 17th, 2016 @ 9:06am

So you want less Fallout is what I'm reading.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Feb 17th, 2016 @ 9:25am

The fuck you even talking about, dumb fuck.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Feb 17th, 2016 @ 2:29pm

Derp Derp Derp
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 18th, 2016 @ 11:15pm

Well, if this was a scheme to get me to immediately buy the season pass for $30, it worked.
DarthEnder

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics