Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Overwatch

Postby Mr_eX » May 26th, 2016 @ 8:48pm

Those were some really dumb games we played tonight.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 26th, 2016 @ 10:10pm

At the risk of sounding too tryhard, I think some people need to put a little more thought into the heroes they change to mid-match. You should really only change heroes mid-match specifically to counter and enemy hero first and foremost (like a Genji was really necessary against that Bastion in that last game) or to build an ultimate to get past a specific chokepoint. It's usually not very helpful if multiple people are changing their hero mid-match and especially if they are all changing into the same hero, or a different class as the one they were. Like losing a tank mid-match and suddenly having 2 healers or something is usually not helpful. I understand a lot of people don't understand the heroes yet so we see weird stuff like swapping to Symmetra in the middle of a payload map.

Pretty sure peeps were just getting straight up outplayed in some of those debacles tho. It happens.

Our new Europal Tofurky was having a pretty good McCree game in that loss tho. Even on the non-PotG plays I saw him putting on slays in the kill feed all game.

I think it's safe to blame Snakedude for most losses tho since he plays that stupid sniper so much. Let's make him our scapegoat!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 26th, 2016 @ 10:13pm

Davis found a gif of the night crew in action by the way. How on the nose is this?

LiQuid

Postby dakazu » May 27th, 2016 @ 1:18am

More quality games of Night Krew with Ryan Scott with Lightning bolt as our official adversary. We actually got Ryan to play a game of Reaper and he cleaned house on 1 round of King of the Hill.

Had some quality Reinhardt charges tonight :lol:

Also this thread is quickly becoming DOTA2 thread redux ;)
dakazu

Postby LiQuid » May 27th, 2016 @ 1:26am

Did he reap? I think the jury's still out on that one.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » May 27th, 2016 @ 9:27am

Don't blame snakedude. If anything blame me. It just wasn't happening for me last night. I had a Reaper game with 1 elimination.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 27th, 2016 @ 9:31am

I don't actually blame anybody. It's video games.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 27th, 2016 @ 10:09am

During the beta and stress test I got into, I felt pretty good on Pharah. Since launch though, I've been very ineffective, if not downright bad, as her. It's even worse when I'm against an enemy Pharah.
Guess I'll stick to Junkrat as my explosive man.

Enjoyed what I played of Roadhog yesterday. Finally figured out how his right click actually works.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » May 27th, 2016 @ 10:18am

Yeah I had that happen to me to. I played her a lot in the closed portion of the beta and did alright but there were a lot less of her counters being picked in nearly every single game. The noob pubs have been spamming the shit out of Soldier, Widow and Bastion, and all 3 of those heroes fuck her so badly. Also she isn't especially necessary in most situations. She's good at splashing turret nests, but she has to get the most vulnerable to do it. Genji and Hanzo take those out so much better and are relatively safer doing it.
LiQuid

Postby darfox8 » May 27th, 2016 @ 12:52pm

Yeah Phara is like sniping for me on console shooters. I gotta have my mojo on. Mei is evergreen as long as I have the discipline to turtle up early, because if I wait till the last moment the tick issue of the game screws me.

I'm jealous and annoyed that literally the night I fix my sleep schedule there's a good reason to stay up late.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby darfox8 » May 27th, 2016 @ 7:58pm

Cross and I two stacked earlier and had a really good streak. Like 6-8 games where we whooped some ass. Probably got lucky with some great pubs and shitty opponents but we were also playing on point.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 27th, 2016 @ 11:24pm

inb4 ban cross
CrossXhunteR

Postby dakazu » May 28th, 2016 @ 12:34am

dakazu

Postby LiQuid » May 28th, 2016 @ 12:55am

CrossXhunteR wrote:inb4 ban cross

You kenzo'd us. I don't even have to ban you. I'd rather you live with that shame.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » May 28th, 2016 @ 5:12am

In that Mei video around the 45 second mark when I'm formulating The Master Plan I do kind of a triple take looking behind me trying to figure out where my dumbass teammates are, totally subconsciously and it makes me laugh. I even look farther behind me all 3 times until I do a full 180 on the third look. Unintentional physical comedy!
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 28th, 2016 @ 8:36am

Played lots of good Zarya games this morning. Felt very effective at keeping people alive, dishing out damage, and getting big ults.
CrossXhunteR

Postby meDotJS » May 28th, 2016 @ 10:26pm

I think I have a problem. I might need professional help.

Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby Frothy Loins » Jun 1st, 2016 @ 11:09am

Looking to play overwatch with anyone other then the utterly tactic lacking pubs that plague the landscape. Have xbone, will travel... Frothy Loins is the gamertag if anyone interested in accompanying me on a quest to leave mediocrity laden failure mires behind for the shimmering fabled mountains of teamwork located in the realm sense of the common.
Frothy Loins

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 1st, 2016 @ 6:09pm

Most, if not all of us have it on PC. Sorry
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 12:06am

If I had an xbone I'd play with you. :( Hopefully the prices on them lower some more after e3.

The reliance on good teamwork in this game feels like it might become an Achilles Heel for the long term viability for its multiplayer scene. I've heard nothing but the most miserable stories about when people have to stack with just pubs. Even with games like dota that has a toxic fanbase, I feel like your odds of getting one or two pubs in your game that you can work with and who will communicate with you is about a coin flip. And in dota, the objectives are always the same, a single person can do a lot of game-changing things by themselves and most people playing the game already have an implicit idea of what everyone should be doing at any given point. Most people playing Overwatch don't seem like they have a good idea at how to work as a team implicitly. Blizzard games in general seem to discourage communicating (LOL, hots is so bad) for fear of fostering a toxic playing experience, but while that limits the bad behavior, it also curbs the possible good behavior and communications as well. I have yet to hear a single one of our pubs talk to us on PC. And it must be even worse on XBL. In my experience, most people playing on XBL these days stick to party chat with their friends, which mutes audio chat with the rest of the game, or just mute audio chat all together. Some of my IRL buddies that play xbox tell me how they really dislike solo-queueing or two-stacking in games like Smite or now Overwatch, because there's zero teamwork and coordination with their pubs and they just lose literally every single game, but when I ask them if they ever stop using party chat in order to actually try to directly talk and communicate strategy with their pubs, they just look at me with a confused expression, like, "why would you ever try to talk to your pubs?" And I think that's really antithetical to the whole point of the game and undermines people's ability to have fun with it. It might be different if there was just a DM/Team DM mode as well where the COD-babies could get their kicks and not have to worry about shit like teamwork, or if the lobby/game sizes got as big as TF2, so that there's just so much random chaos that teamwork kinda doesn't matter. But as it stands, Overwatch is the alpha test of a possibly really neat idea that needs a LOT of balance tweaks and deeper changes for it to be something people are still playing en masse years from now, never mind just a few months from now too.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 12:47am

Dude, turn it around. Can you imagine what a random pub would say to you? I highly doubt they would be polite enough to praise you or ask you politely to change up strategy. More that likely you'd be getting bitched out for your hero pick or your lackluster play. Even if they were being polite I don't know if I'd care enough to try and coordinate with them.

Honestly it's best to keep a casual mindset because you're more likely to be playing with like minded casuals. Coordinating is great when you get a group but otherwise you're never going to find that mindset in pubs. Sad but true.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 3:24am

dakazu wrote:Dude, turn it around. Can you imagine what a random pub would say to you? I highly doubt they would be polite enough to praise you or ask you politely to change up strategy. More that likely you'd be getting bitched out for your hero pick or your lackluster play. Even if they were being polite I don't know if I'd care enough to try and coordinate with them.
I mean, that's kind of my point... that's the expectation that most gamers have when dealing with XBL (or to a slightly lesser extent, PC), and that's why most essentially tune out voice chat or retreat to party chats. And that's why I think this game's legs are going to be somewhat limited, because for such a teamwork-heavy game, it NEEDS its player base to either get smart enough to implicitly know how to do all the right things in the right situations and perform good teamwork without direct communication, or for people to start talking to each other suddenly and be polite about it, and I just don't see that happening with all the chips stacked against it. Which brings me to:

dakazu wrote:Honestly it's best to keep a casual mindset because you're more likely to be playing with like minded casuals. Coordinating is great when you get a group but otherwise you're never going to find that mindset in pubs. Sad but true.
I totally agree, but I also think this limits the game going forward as well. Because unless if the matchmaking suddenly starts working well (maybe hopefully gets enough data to start working?), if you walk into a game like that can't can't/won't work with your team and be a tryhard, you'll lose the vast majority of your games. And even the most steeled, flippant, IDGAF gamers will probably stop playing sooner rather than later because it isn't fun to never win. I was talking with one of my buddies who bought it on XBOne, and he was telling me how the game isn't really fun for him because of this. "I don't need to win all the time, or even most of the time... but it would be nice to win once in a while and instead we lost 20 straight last night, and that much losing isn't fun." That's why I hope they introduce more game modes geared towards a more casual experience like DM or Team DM or something. Because all the COD-babies that just want to solo-queue and RP as Rambo all game are going to get sick of losing all the time, and they'll quickly abandon Overwatch for the next FOTM. And if you want your game to be healthy and vibrant and continue to get supported for years to come, that can't be the case.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 4:21am

I've actually encountered a few people/groups using the in game voice chat before. I kept accidentally using my discord PTT key instead of the Overwatch when when I wanted to talk to them.

On the point of loss streaks, people don't really counter balance those against the win streaks they go on. Theoretically the matchmaking should end up having you win about 50% of your games, so big wins have to be made up for later on. It's just that no one enjoys losing a whole lot.
Look at dota. I basically had a 15 game losing streak or some such before I stopped playing for a long time. I was still holding my 50% win rate though the entire thing, just with like a 90-100% loss rate in that microcosm of games.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 6:25am

I'm actually really looking forward to ranked play. That way as you move up in the ranks you'll get matched with people around your skill level which should eventually filter out the people that don't like work as a team.

If it's anything like CSGO the unranked/low ranked player level matchmaking will be a nightmare but it gradually gets better the higher you get.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Konanda » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 7:14am

One of the unfortunate things about solo-queueing is because there is no punishment for leaving an in-progress game (oh noes -75% exp for like 4 games, the horror) and their is no way to disable being matched into an in-progress game, you'll often get stuck waiting out 3 to 5 minutes of a very, very hard to win game before playing an actual game*, sometimes with a team less than 6. Which is pretty dumb and boring, personally I would rather be able to disable being matchmade into in-progress games if Blizzard isn't going to give any actual punishment to leavers, and just wait the extra minute or two it takes to find a game. At least during the wait queue I can go do something else, when you are in a game if you aren't doing something for about 2 minutes you just get auto-kicked and I'm not sure if being auto-kicked even gives the meaningless slap on the wrist they give to leavers.

*That is assuming that a bunch more people don't leave once its over and then you just don't get to play a game at all, which is super stupid.
Get outta here, Thunder Tits!
Konanda

Postby Frothy Loins » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 8:39am

I have two friends who I play with regularly its when I'm solo the frustration comes to a head. When a lobby of pub players cant even team select in a balanced manner you know your in for a bad time. Take a match yesterday, on the attack in Anubis, First player picks Hanzo, 2 players proceed to take Junkrat, 2 more players take widowmaker. Facepalm, gg guys. I pick Dva and just suffer through the pounding that ensues. In response to chat on Live you guys are correct, maybe 1% of my matches have had anyone using the chat, and zero percent of these players were saying anything constructive or helpful.
Frothy Loins

Postby kenzo » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 3:54pm

Mr_eX wrote:I'm actually really looking forward to ranked play. That way as you move up in the ranks you'll get matched with people around your skill level which should eventually filter out the people that don't like work as a team.

If it's anything like CSGO the unranked/low ranked player level matchmaking will be a nightmare but it gradually gets better the higher you get.
I don't really think formally ranked play is the solution to anything, at least not in Overwatch. CS/COD/any pew-pew shooter is, even in ranked, oriented around individuals making individual plays. You can still be a Rambo and win, so long as you're the best Rambo around. But in ranked for Overwatch, the necessity for teamwork to win is going to be even stronger with people trying hard, but Overwatch simply lacks both the structure to encourage teamwork and the culture to foster it. And all you're going to do is ratchet up the stakes and the tension, so that people are even more buttmad when they lose or perceive their teammates to not be doing the right things. You see it all the time in ranked Dota, where some mid gets a rune snatched from underneath him, or a support doesn't rotate to help, or people don't call missing, and they rage, and go full-tilt or even sabotage the game. When it's unranked, there's nothing on the line, but people feel righteous indignity when their imaginary numbers are at risk. And this isn't just a matter of low-MMR versus high-MMR too, you get babies ruining high-MMR games just as frequently.

Overwatch needs to change a lot of things at its core to not just encourage teamwork (because wanting to win should be encouragement enough) but to force it, IMO. Limit the number of people playing a type of character, or better yet type of character class (only let two ppl be defensive characters; two attackers, etc). Create some gametypes that still require teamwork, but much more rudimentary kinds that COD-babies are used to like capture the flag. Make something like a PVE horde mode that people can play casually. Or create specific scenarios for newbies that teaches them good team comp. Restructure the playing rewards to promote support-play, like giving medals for most damage blocked, or amount of damage boosted, or completely scrapping the broken POTG system (I watched a POTG yesterday, where a Reaper got a quad-kill with his ult, but it only happened because a Mei shoved an ice-wall underneath his feet and boosted him up to be on the same level as the enemy team. If it wasn't for that Mei, that ult goes to waste, only nets a single kill, and the Reaper probably dies. But the Reaper gets the POTG there, not the Mei?). Maybe have the votes people do at the end of the game determine the POTG? Overwatch seriously needs to re-balance or create new heroes oriented around support play too, and make those just as rewarding to play as damage-dealers. Make more tanks than just Reinhard better damage sponges. Dig into something like dota for better ideas for abilities. There's very few characters in Overwatch oriented around doing things like stuns. What if you gave a character Venge-swap? Or Drow aura? Or illusions (make 'em bots)? Or brutal slows like viper-strike? Or ability-disables/lockdowns like doom? Or a character like butt-rider that blinks in and drags a character out of a defensive position? Or a zombie-tombstone? Maybe have a character that can grant lifesteal to targets for 5-6 seconds? Start giving some weak, flimsy characters some really powerful game-changing ults maybe, like how Lich has his chainfrost? The support-game in Overwatch is so bad, but so necessary to winning, and it simply isn't fun or rewarding enough to be a heal-slut all game, when there's plenty of fun ways to be a support and not a damage dealer that Overwatch simply hasn't explored yet.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 4:23pm

For the Mei/Reaper POTG situation, the same argument could be used against the Mei's wall giving her the POTG. Without Reaper there to utilize that wall with his quad-killing ult, that wall would have had probably no meaning.

Also, I like playing the supports.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 5:30pm

Fiiiiiiinally got some games in today. Still love D.VA, played a few with Mercy. Tracer, for some reason, I can't do shit with now. Did they cut her health in half or something? I was getting massacred.

Any suggestions for another good tank to try out? I might be done playing glass cannons, don't have the reflexes for it.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 2nd, 2016 @ 5:48pm

Roadhog is my favorite tank but he should be played pretty aggressively
Mr_eX