Wherein we discuss digital pixels and polygons, directed by handheld input devices.

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby kenzo » May 30th, 2016 @ 2:30am

LiQuid wrote:I'm trying to make the dischord server more welcoming and nice to newcomers!
When have you ever given shits about that, just be fuckin' honest with yourself. You created a bullshit justification to create containment boards for selfish, self-serving reasons. And when I pointed out this obvious fact to you, you deleted it. I don't care about the majority of shit you post, but I don't complain like a little entitled whiner just because you're talking about shit I don't like in a public space. And pushing all that stuff somewhere else is just censorship.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 3:13am

You can think I'm pushing whatever agenda you want but you're wrong, regardless of how many times you say it, it won't become more true. My deleting your line about that on the server was an attempt to squash your ranting in the general chat, not stifle your voice. Say whatever you want, but you're chaining yourself to a tree. This isn't just my idea dude. It's clear it's an issue. As Darfox so helpfully pointed out, the general chat on our discord server has been a cess pool. Anime isn't the culprit. I started this initiative by making the shitposting channel to filter out social media blather and fringe, internet bullshit. This is a natural progression of that. Get the niche topics their own place to exist and leave the general chat for general frivolity, like how (un)acceptable ketchup is on hot dogs.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 30th, 2016 @ 5:37am

I think hot dogs need there own separate chat and voice channel.
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 6:50am

If that's the case we're changing the general to Hot Dog Chat cause I REFUSE to have my hot dog chat contained.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby totoro » May 30th, 2016 @ 7:30am

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro
User avatar
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: Dec 28th, 2010 @ 10:32am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 8:01am

Was reading thru the conversation about topical channels from while I was playing Overwatch last night and kenzo said this in favor of removing the anime picture bot:

Image

How is this any different than what is happening in the general chat? If someone makes a comment about wrestling in the general chat and then 2 people go off into a huge day-spanning conversation about anime that pushes that comment into nonexistence, how is that any different than Medot spamming waifu at the bot in kenzo's lewd channel and pushing his naked lady picture up too far for people to see??

Topical channels is PRO-conversation. It keeps actual general discussing in the main chat and it makes it EASIER for people to see relevant topical chat because it's not pushed up by other stuff.

I honestly think this needs to be given a fair shake with an open mind instead of people having tantrums and claming there's an agenda behind it. The only agenda is trying to make the general server chat less inclusive to make it more welcome to EVERYBODY and not just the half dozen people that talk about anime all day.

Like I said, anime isn't banned from general chat, but if you're having a long ass conversation about the latest episode of Hentai School just do it in the anime channel. It'll make it easier for people who care about Hentai School to find that conversation and it'll be easier for people who don't care about it to ignore.

I can't believe this is getting vilified and so much resistance when all it needs to be is an organizational thing. Yes I started yesterday's discussion about this as a denouncement of anime chat but this applies to any heavily discussed fringe topic.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 8:02am

BTW, I didn't see the thing last night where you guys said you were over the anime bot, I can kick it if you guys don't want it anymore. I only kept it cause I figured you guys were still having fun with it. It can be ignored tho, just like the airhorn bot.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 8:05am


This is actually irritating. Is Merriam Webster in the habit of being wrong about things often???
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 30th, 2016 @ 8:05am

LiQuid wrote:Was reading thru the conversation about topical channels from while I was playing Overwatch last night and kenzo said this in favor of removing the anime picture bot:

Image

How is this any different than what is happening in the general chat? If someone makes a comment about wrestling in the general chat and then 2 people go off into a huge day-spanning conversation about anime that pushes that comment into nonexistence, how is that any different than Medot spamming waifu at the bot in kenzo's lewd channel and pushing his naked lady picture up too far for people to see??

Topical channels is PRO-conversation. It keeps actual general discussing in the main chat and it makes it EASIER for people to see relevant topical chat because it's not pushed up by other stuff.

I honestly think this needs to be given a fair shake with an open mind instead of people having tantrums and claming there's an agenda behind it. The only agenda is trying to make the general server chat less inclusive to make it more welcome to EVERYBODY and not just the half dozen people that talk about anime all day.

Like I said, anime isn't banned from general chat, but if you're having a long ass conversation about the latest episode of Hentai School just do it in the anime channel. It'll make it easier for people who care about Hentai School to find that conversation and it'll be easier for people who don't care about it to ignore.

I can't believe this is getting vilified and so much resistance when all it needs to be is an organizational thing. Yes I started yesterday's discussion about this as a denouncement of anime chat but this applies to any heavily discussed fringe topic.


Nothing should ever get posted in the general chat. Everything is some niche/fringe topic. Any line of discussion will push away any other line of discussion.
CrossXhunteR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 8:14am

CrossXhunteR wrote:Nothing should ever get posted in the general chat. Everything is some niche/fringe topic. Any line of discussion will push away any other line of discussion.

Sure, anything not covered by any of the topical chats should be fine.

If someone is found to be too dominant of general chat to the point where it's stifling conversation it can be segmented as well. (like Overwatch?), I dunno, you tell me.

Seems to me tho like you're just taking the idea to its extreme in order to stir shit. Seems uncharacteristic of you.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby lemon-fresh » May 30th, 2016 @ 1:01pm

Send me a damn invite to the discord server!!!
lemon-fresh
User avatar
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Apr 13th, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Location: Canada

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby totoro » May 30th, 2016 @ 3:25pm

It's on the front page of posts in the thread: https://discordapp.com/invite/0TyWb9KWysKvr6aP
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro
User avatar
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: Dec 28th, 2010 @ 10:32am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 3:52pm

We got him. Good games of overwatch lemon.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby darfox8 » May 30th, 2016 @ 7:23pm

I delayed my response to this because I've been typing way to much grievances post and generally piling on Kenzo. I wanted to wait and see how the dust settles, but I seriously doubt it will be a nice affair. Kenzo and Cross and going forward with their plan to ignore the topicals and I don't foresee LiQuid going through and deleting everything by hand. Unless I'm wrong but they stated as much and so far it seems they're doing that.

In my opinion, if done in good faith, this would be better for the server. In fact there's little doubt of that in my mind. The counter argument is that this stifles conversation by separating it too much, but I think that's not true and I feel it's very self serving. The Discord server as it was, was very one sided. I feel that more than half the post are about anime in some way and it's usually kenzo. This absolutely drives people away. For reasons I feel are dumb(anime hate) but they obviously feel it's justified. We have people like MrEx, who are "pillars" of the "community", who want nothing to do with general chat. Nothing would be changing except some people(people who don't care about anime) will never see kenzo's post and I don't think kenzo likes that. I think he liked being in the center of it(cross too), not really the center of attention but the center of conversation. Seeing what everyone is saying and everyone seeing what he's saying. Nothing's wrong with that in theory but in our current ratio it just means it's like 60% anime, 20% games, 10% movies tv, 5% misc life stuff, and 5% fast food taco bell. This isn't to say that this is purely some egomaniacal thing that kenzo is on. I think he totes believes LiQuid is lying and doing it to spite him. He may be right I honestly don't even try and read LiQuid's actions. I just feel like he is cutting his nose off to spite his face. Even fucking Ransuu was against kenzo posting naked anime girls in general chat, that's something. Kenzo's response is that if it's unappropriated then a mod will just delete it("the system works"), but it baffles me he'd actually say that. Like that's not what I'd expect kenzo to say, honestly. Not that I know him THAT well, but I know him at least a little.

This is almost moot because I'm very tired of this. I'm sure you guys are also very tired of me and my post too. We sometimes have so little patience and respect for each other it's kinda unhealthy. I honestly want to eject this community into the sun and start all over, no such thing I know, but it'd be nice. We are not the Geekbox community. That exist as a larger audience that listens to the podcast and might engage in some social media. We are our own separate community that has hobbled along with huge elephants in the room, never really addressed but routinely provoked. We are Those Who Don't Exist and sometimes I wonder why I signed up for it. I personally think it's been more than worth it, over the whole run. You guys have been by and large great, but also occasionally abusive in ways I feel are completely unnecessary. Also the thought of me being the perpetrate of the abuse, in the past and in the future, kinda makes me even more sad.

I wish I could get Rydog, Higgins, Fitch, Justin, and Alice(I shall call them Founders) to make their own discord server for the greater community. That might exorcise Those Who Don't Exist of it's need to pay tribute to a hollow identifier. Also potentially stop LiQuid from using Geekbox as a sort of cudgel he could exploit to down play or censor things he doesn't like. Assuming this is what's happening. Not self identifying /alltalk as "The Geekbox Community Podcast" honestly did wonders for us. We tried to bring you guys on and make a fun thing that reflected these boards and the gamenight, but we realized that was impossible. Because those elements where so at odds with themselves(not to mention huge reluctance from the community it self), so we just made it the dakazu/ex/darfox/totoro show. That's all it was and all it is.

I can only imagine what The Founders would think of all this. I honestly don't feel they should feel much of anything about it. Not sad or ashamed or embarrassed, for as I said before it kinda doesn't have much to do with them. A lot of Those Who Don't Exist don't even listen to the Geekbox podcast anymore. So we have the named connection, Higgins who's cool enough to hang out with us sometimes(recently Rydog too for Overwatch), a fan podcast that was suppose to reflect something that wasn't there, and these message boards that are owned by Ryan Scott. These are the only connections to The Founders we have and I don't think we should cling to them so much. Or maybe I just shouldn't.

P.S. I know I sound overly dramatic, but that's just me being bored as I write it. These are my genuine thoughts on it.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby totoro » May 30th, 2016 @ 8:01pm

Since the word "censorship" was brought up previously I just wanted to add that I think that Randall Munroe said it best:

Spoiler: show
Image


And I'm sure that some people will think to themselves that "hey, totoro's never been in the Discord server, fuck his opinion on this", but when things started moving over to the Discord I was very weary of all of the crap that was happening in the Mumble server and the in-fighting, and the yelling, and the toxicity. That point was a conscious uncoupling of that part of the community for me. I may join the Discord server eventually (probably for the E3 stuff if anything), but seeing Liquid wanting to make sure that the server is something that's at least marginally inviting is something that gives me hope for the next however many years this community lasts and it doesn't fix all of the issues that exist (like the general lack of interaction by some of the Geekbox folks, I understand they're busy, have lives and do interact when time allows), but it seems to me like it's steps in the right direction. Much like what Dar said, these are just my opinions on the matter and I'm sure it'll piss some people off and others will be fine with it.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro
User avatar
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: Dec 28th, 2010 @ 10:32am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby Mr_eX » May 30th, 2016 @ 9:06pm

Categorizing isn't censorship, its categorizing. It makes finding things easier. So if you want to talk about anime/wrestling/other stuff its easier to find what other people are saying about anime/wrestling/other stuff when they are properly categorized. Thats all this is.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby dakazu » May 30th, 2016 @ 9:26pm

I'm fine with separating chat but I don't expect it to work.

Unless you have someone moderating general chat the people who don't want to play along will continue to use main chat like they have. And the problem is that they are the ones who use general chat the most. I doubt anyone even cares enough to police this BS so things will stay the same(as they've always been).

People are complaining about anime/gundams or whatever filling up general chat and being unfriendly but none of that matters compared to people taking the time to greet new people. I can guarantee you that 90% the members here won't reply or will ignore new people in general chat.

And I honestly don't look at the general chat when I'm using voice chat instead. I don't have a 2nd monitor and don't feel the need to alt tab every second just to check up on what's anime gifs are being posted from 4chan. I prefer voice chat and promise I will try to do a better job saying hi to new people. However I'll probably miss things in text chat becuase like I said earlier, I don't look at it 24/7.

Then again, even when I actually looked at text chat I would only look at general because none of the other channels interested me.
dakazu
User avatar
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009 @ 1:00pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby Mr_eX » May 30th, 2016 @ 9:45pm

Can mods move posts to other channels or just delete?
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 10:27pm

If there are people that don't want to play along with chat categorization, I can just take their ability to use general chat away but I DON'T want to have to do that, nor should I have to. We're all grown ass adults. Being so petulant about this is peak Geekbox childishness. The only reason why there is resistance to this is because it's me spearheading it and kenzo seems incapable of following a directive from me that doesn't feed his ego. I'm tempted to hand over ownership of the server to Darfox so I can remove the ego clash of me and kenzo being at odds over this, but, and I'm sorry I don't mean this to be offensive at all darfox, you have a tendency to burn a little hot over some of this stuff. That too feels like drastic a measure to bypass the actions of a few people who are trying to stand in the way of potential progress.

Cross, while he was still modded this morning, took it upon himself to delete all of the separate channels I had created last night (including the movie channel which was converted from the old spoiler channel, so all that conversation is lost to time now, thanks Cross). It's actually a god damned shame that this is the the type of behavior this community has to deal with. It's actually a joke.

We've had more people join the server today and over the last week or two than we had in the previous year since it went up. That's exciting, but if they're coming into it and seeing all this ridiculous bitching, what kind of example are we setting? This shit's gross.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2016 @ 10:27pm

Mr_eX wrote:Can mods move posts to other channels or just delete?

Can't move, only delete.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby kenzo » May 31st, 2016 @ 12:10am

If I was like liquid, sustained on trolling and verbally accosting others, I would take great pleasure in the drama being manufactured here. Instead, here's a whole page of drama, vitriol, passive aggressive (and aggressive aggressive!) insults of which I've contributed a single short post and refrained from adding anything more because I've actually been trying to not add to the fire or step on feelings. If people really wanted to actually discuss this or how to make the discord server a better, more inviting place, then there's a million things that we could be doing, and I'd be happy to discuss them with people who would like to discuss them in good faith. But instead, what this is really about is creating containment boards because liquid and a few others don't like when people enjoy things they don't like, within view of them. And I'm also not up to wasting a bunch of mine and everyone else's time discussing things either in bad faith, or when the other people have already made up their mind and are likely unwilling to hear me out.

LiQuid wrote:I'm tempted to hand over ownership of the server to Darfox so I can remove the ego clash of me and kenzo being at odds over this...
Then do it. And if this is an undue burden to put at his feet that he doesn't need, give it to someone like apant who will either be rational, fair, and impartial about anything, or simply just sit on admin permissions and never use them unless it's absolutely necessary. Because if you're really being sincere about making this place a better and more inviting place, this is the first thing that needs to happen. But I don't believe for a minute you're actually interested in making this a better place, nor are you doing this for altruistic reasons. And giving up that power willingly would do a lot to engender trust, cooperation, and good will where previously you have earned none.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2016 @ 12:38am

This whole dumb thing is basically "separate voice channel for dota" 2.0. It doesn't hurt to have voice chats separate so conversations aren't overlapping each other, and we do that now more than ever with separate voice chats for people in separate games of Overwatch, or a group in a game of Dota... I was opposed to that before back when I didn't care about the mumble/discord servers, or any of your guys' feelings at all and I just muted people I didn't want to hear and expected them to do the same to me. I was wrong then, and you're wrong now.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2016 @ 12:47am

I think I just discovered an ingenious workaround for this! Tell me if this is crazy or not.

I just renamed "Geekboxery" "weeb life" this is the same general chat channel that has existed since the dawn of the server. All that old chat exists back until the dawn of time and kenzo and cross can continue talking about gunpla and anime and whatever else they want in there. You guys win you finally own the channel.

And then I just made a new geekboxery chat. This will for all intents and purposes be the new general channel. I've essentially rebooted the general chat. A fresh start for the server.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2016 @ 1:10am

"If I was like liquid, sustained on trolling and verbally accosting others, I would take great pleasure in the drama being manufactured here."

Just to address this specifically. I know you guys have known me for many years now at this point, or as well as anybody can know anybody else who exists merely on the internet. I know you guys know I have been and probably still can be a massive asshole. Shocking. But regardless of your feelings on this, you especially kenzo because we've butted heads so many times over the years on dumber stuff than this, I hope that you of all people can recognize that even I have my moments of sincerity.

I don't take any pleasure in any of this shit. Far from it, I'm scared. Scared that you guys are working to sabotage something that could potentially be cool again. Cool like it was before I even joined the old mumble server and shat on old game nights. We've had such a surge of people join this server over the last couple weeks due to Overwatch, with like 3 or 4 new guys just in the last day or so. We've been promoting this place on the Steam group, we even got Ryan god damned Scott to join it. I'm really, really sorry that you see this entire thing as some kind of personal attack on you, but I don't know how I can convince you that it isn't other than making a plea that you do without any malice behind the words and hope you take me at them. This is not an attack on kenzo. If anything this is an attack, but it's an attack on the way we've been running things for years. Because we've turned this server into a shitty boy's club, and that's fucked.

You MUST try to understand that us dozen or so "old" guys dominating conversations in the main channel, even if it isn't actively discluding people from joining in, makes it less welcoming. Keeping the general chat free of long, involved conversations between friends who have known each other for literally fucking years at this point is a good way to at least TRY to make the chat more welcoming.

Please try to understand. I'm not asking you to eat shit here. I'm not banning the mention on anime in any channel. I'm just asking you to TRY and make an adjustment to TRY and make a change for the better.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby kenzo » May 31st, 2016 @ 2:56am

You want me to trust your sincerity, but you've done literally nothing to earn it. Quite to the contrary, you've frequently done things to make me distrust you ever being sincere ever. You keep saying this is for the good of the server/community, but through this entire scenario you've laser-locked onto just this and never discussed other things we could do, or even allowed discussion of the merits of this. Cross and I tried early, and we both gave up in exasperation pretty quickly because you spent the entire time couching your idea of being 'inclusive' in ways that were specifically very insulting and exclusive to us. I mean within moments of trying to express sincerity in this very thread, you also manage to squeak in an insulting, patronizing 'compromise' that really is just you still getting your way. Like, that's a real genuine and inviting channel name, there, "weeb life". :lol: This entire process has been undermined with you from the first step to the last with you being insulting, patronizing, commanding, and refusing to even consider contrary perspectives. You wanted anime banned from the main channel, so you created a poll to do it, a poll singling out anime, insulting it as a pastime, and loading the question in some of the most egregiously bogus and leading language possible. You refined it but not by much. And you even proudly proclaimed how you were going to arbitrarily subtract votes in order to get the outcome you wanted, so why should I even bother taking part in a vote or discussion like that, skewing the results further? And then you used those results and a select couple of responses to justify strong arming your position into being the way we would do things now. Forgive me for protesting such a blatantly hostile and insincere attempt to squash and quarantine discussions.

Meanwhile, literally every justification you've espoused has been bullshit. "I want dakazu and darfox to see the wrasslin videos and links I send to them! It's a shame they all slide off the page!" So? When I really want someone to see something and they're not there, I don't insist everyone stop cluttering the chat so that my content can stand tall and proud. For example, when I make progress on my models and want cross and jenn and especially kevin to see, I make a forum post about it. If something slides off and isn't important enough for me to post it again later or put it in the forums, it probably wasn't actually important enough to me that they see it to begin with. "Look at Giant Bomb! Look at how many text channels they have!" They're also a community that, when I looked, had HUNDREDS of users online (not even including all the offline; just online) in the dead of the night. And they only have eight channels; ours of typing has nine channels for 40 total users for some fucking reason. I can see the necessity of having multiple chat channels just so everything doesn't scroll off the screen so fast that you can't even read it, that's totally fair. But that's literally never been the case with our discord server, except when people are copy-pasta flooding the chat with airhornbot commands (which wouldn't be affected by this new policy, and the bot itself is subject #1385 of things more important to making the discord server more inviting than segregating discussion topics). But this wasn't a suggestion born of that kind of necessity, this is 100% about segregating conversation topics you don't like out of your view, which is discriminatory, petty, and gross. If you're the kind of person who comes into a place, and is so intolerant of other people's interests and hobbies that are on display that you immediately nope out, how is that my problem? How is that my fault? It seems to me like the other party is the one with a problem, and I don't know if I want someone so close minded and intolerant here to begin with.

But let's grant for a moment that there's truly no ulterior motive for this segregation of discussion topics, and we should do this for purely altruistic reasons and the betterment of the community. But I still have to propose the question, will that actually do anything? Is having a unified chat inherently off-putting, and enables a 'toxic' community? Because I would have thought our own experience with this very forum would have informed an obvious NO answer. This forum is very regimented and discussion topics are very clearly segregated and organized. Did that stop this place from imploding and fizzling out? Was this delineation between topics something made the place less toxic and more inviting? Not for one moment. If you'll even recall, it had the exact opposite effect - people argued and were petty all the fucking time about where discussions should go. And even at the least passive aggressive, that toxicity helped drive plenty of people out of here. Newbies would show up, create a dupe thread or misscategorize something, and we'd lambaste them for it, and they'd never come back again.

Know what really makes the discord, mumble, and forums so toxic for this community? Not any one rule or organizing principle. Just people being fucking mean people to each other and saying mean things and berating each other because they're different in some way. Know what I wasn't doing yesterday, or the day before? Doing or saying mean things to people or judging them. I was having a very pleasant time conversing with people and playing games with them. Then literally out of nowhere you show up to start an anti-anime tirade and this stupid drama snowballed out of it. Today, Cross and I were literally the only people active on the server. He was muted and deafened so I text-chatted with him until he unmuted himself. Our conversation broached on like a dozen of innocent topics and naturally flowed back and forth between them. If we had stayed text chatting, we would have had to bounce between at least half the stupid topic channels in ways that were extremely unnatural, cumbersome, and probably dissuaded us from actually talking about stuff we wanted to. I've done that before, chatting in three different channels with people like Jenn or Rodney at the same time and holding separate conversations simultaneously and it's confusing and cumbersome and stupid and needlessly complicating what should have been a simple discussion and I can't imagine such a thing being inviting to newcommers. But regardless, we had a nice pleasant discussion, and anyone showing up in the middle of it and wanting to talk was certainly welcome to do so, and it interfered with nothing, and not long later there's a new forum post by darfox complaining that we were being recidivists. Again, even in your last post, you say we're "sabotaging" the server by merely existing here and talking about things we like. We were having a grand old time, and would have welcomed anyone entering and wishing to talk with us. This is directly in comparison to people like you liquid, who walk in, and bitch and moan about anime, and have to let everyone know how much you hate it. Or ex who does the same with anime, or feels compelled to interrupt any conversation about dota about how much he hates it and how he thinks it's evil and occasionally how he thinks the people who play it are bad people for doing so for the umpteenth time. I brush off and ignore those kinds of constant not-so-micro-aggressions that happen on a regular basis by plenty of people and don't take them to heart. And I'm positive I do it frequently too! But the solution to people behaving badly isn't to just remove all discussions they don't like from their sight, the solution is for people to simply stop behaving badly to other people.

So that's where I stand on this. It's hard not to take things personally when you made them personal from the get go, and several people reply here unprompted in this thread sound like this is a personal issue with me as well. But hey, you said you wanted to be earnest and just make things better, so here's me actually giving you the time of day to respond giving you the benefit of the doubt you frankly haven't earned or deserved. That's my perspective on all this. I could have broken down more of your arguments or others in petty ways that would have gone on forever and would have done nothing productive, but I didn't. And no doubt, just the sight of this giant block of text is going to either immediately fall on deaf ears or send some people into a rage, but this is how I honestly feel and this is me communicating my perspective. My personal inclinations for doing things going forward hasn't changed. However I'd be willing to compromise and obey these new stupid rules if there was actually a serious discussion about how to else clean things up in discord and make it more inviting, starting with the idea of you liquid giving up your admin control. But I have very little faith that will happen, especially since you didn't even re-address the idea, something I'm going to go out on a limb and assume would be welcomed as a positive change almost universally. And like I said before, I'm more than open to having a fair and honest discussion about what else should be done to make this discord server better and more inviting place, starting with things like removing the airhornbot from the main audio channel (Cross brought up with me the fact that he was appalled that someone started using that the first time Ryan Scott entered the discord server, as if a fucking airhorn interrupting people talking is an inviting thing to a new person) or having the OP of this thread actually have the url for the permanent invite link so guys like lemon-fresh didn't have to wait a whole day to get onto the server, or so that in absence of an admin/mod, someone could easily reference the link to give out to others. But again, I think I've outlined already why I'm deservedly skeptical that that's what people are really interested in doing.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2016 @ 3:19am

The only reason I mentioned giving admin to darfox is because he shares my vision for an improved server, but he's just as sick of your crap as I am, not to mention he was already driven from the servers by you once in the past, so I'm not sure it would make any difference.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby kenzo » May 31st, 2016 @ 3:23pm

So this happened:

Image

Because LiQuid can sit and stoke drama and fill the 'general' chat with bullshit, but if I make one fair retort, that's "no drama pls, put it in #shitposting thx". Which brings me to this:

LiQuid wrote:The only reason I mentioned giving admin to darfox is because he shares my vision for an improved server, but he's just as sick of your crap as I am, not to mention he was already driven from the servers by you once in the past, so I'm not sure it would make any difference.

Thanks for not even reading or addressing what even I said:
kenzo wrote:And if this is an undue burden to put at his feet that he doesn't need, give it to someone like apant who will either be rational, fair, and impartial about anything, or simply just sit on admin permissions and never use them unless it's absolutely necessary.
Honestly, give it to literally anyone else on the server because you're an asshole, and a bully, and literally anyone else being the admin would engender more trust and good will than you would. This is something I know I'm not alone in thinking. This is a solution to fixing the toxicity of the discord server that YOU brought up, and is a great idea. But I'm calling you out because you'd never actually do it because you're not actually concerned with making things better. You're a troll who gets a kick out of pissing people off and flexing your epeen. And you've proven over and over this is the case. So I'm washing my hands of this. And congrats on strong-arming and trolling into getting your way. And shame on literally every one of you following along and trusting liquid to be fair and altruistic.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2016 @ 4:03pm

Ah good I wasn't sure that permission worked without putting you in your own role. I turned it off shortly after I added it, but I'm glad to know it works because it seems like I might have to turn it on again. I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place because your accusing me of bullying and being an asshole is disruptive and forcing my hand to do things I don't want to do. Like do I just let you keep having temper tantrums in the chat and undermining this change? It's a hard position for me to be in.

You continuing to push me to give up admin is just another tactic you're trying to use to "win" whatever battle you're fighting right now and I'm not going to even consider it while your temper is hot.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby darfox8 » May 31st, 2016 @ 5:05pm

I guess this a appropriate since LiQuid is just reaping what he sowed for the last few years.

However when I wigged out on Kenzo I just said "fuck off" and left for like 6 months. I didn't ask him to go through every single post he made in the forum and apologize to every user who posted there. I knew he would never do that. Kenzo to this day never thought he did anything wrong and it was just a misunderstanding of our relationship. He understands I got angry, he has since tried to not make me angry in way he thinks will help. But he's just appeasing me. I know this and it is what it is.

LiQuid on the other hand probably knows what he's done wrong and I think I've heard him admit it, he likely doesn't care tho. Either way he's never going to bend over backwards for these request Kenzo is making, and Kenzo wouldn't either. This is the spear and the shield, Batman v Joker: Cheetos Dust Edition. Seeing Kenzo say "You ignore my suggestion so I'm going to ignore yours." is like the end game. We literally have no where else to go.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8
User avatar
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 3:23pm
Location: Ocala, Florida

Re: Community Fun: Overwatch Gamenight Sundays | Discord Ser

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2016 @ 6:40pm

The thing is, none of this dumb arguing changes the fact that kenzo and cross are making a big deal out of a little thing.

Just a few hours ago Rodney, Jenn and Ko got to discuss their canadian anime convention in the anime channel near the same time we were welcoming totoro to the discord server for the first time in the main chat. Everything worked perfectly.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Options

Return to Games

cron