Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Space Opera comics

Postby DerBonk » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 2:24am

We started talking in the comic newbie thread and I guess it got kinda off topic, so I'll just open a new one right here. Here are the most important posts on that topic:

Magitek85 wrote:I just started reading comics like a year and a half ago. I'm not really into the superhero ones though. The series I've enjoyed are Preacher, Y: The Last Man, am enjoying The Walking Dead right now, and anything by Jonathan Hickman, meaning The Nightly News, Pax Romana, Transhuman, and A Red Mass for Mars.

LiQuid wrote: By no stretch was it exactly what I was looking for, but I just discovered that there are more Star Wars comics out there than I could conceivably read in my entire lifetime. I'd still love to find something more original, non-franchised in the realm of intergalactic sci-fi, but for now this is gonna have to do.

DerBonk wrote:Thanks for the tip! The issue is online here (legal!). Judging fom the cover and the first few pages it seems like what we've been looking for. Too bad there's only one issue. I'm gonna read that later tonight, once again, thanks for that!

Magitek85 wrote:Check out his Red Mass for Mars, Pax Romana, Transhuman, and Nightly News comics too. I read an article on him like 2 years ago and it's what got me into comics.

I looked at the 5-page previews on his homepage. His stuff looks fantastic, incredible art. Red Mass for Mars sounds like a story I'd enjoy, but there's no preview unfortunately. I think I know what I'll buy after I've completed Y: The Last Man! Thanks for that!

I also remembered that there are some Dead Space comics, I really enjoyed the motion comics. It's not really space opera either though. I think The Core is still the closest to what I had in mind. Any other usggestions?
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Re: Space Opera comics

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 6:16am

I've written quite a bit about Hickman's books on my blog. I love his work to pieces. Hoping he doesn't stop with the creator-owned stuff now that he's the Matt Fraction of 2009.

I'd recommend checking out Dan Dare. Ennis did a revival mini-series for Virgin Comics recently, and I am pretty sure that more are in the works. edit: It looks like it changed hands to Dynamite?
Sokkratez

Postby LiQuid » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 6:55am

Metabarons sounds interesting. I'm gonna have to find a copy to leaf through next time I'm out.

I want to try and find a physical copy of that Core book too. I can't handle reading through the low res pages online. Seems Dune-esque!
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 10:32am

Metabarons definitely seems Dune-esque. I'll see if there are more than 17 issues in German, the local store here carries a lot of French stuff.

Is Dan Dare some kind of B-Movie SF? Looks a lot like Flash Gordon and the likes ;) Might be interesting to check out, but actually not the kinda stuff im into.

Now that I think about it, I'd really love to read a comic based in the EVE Online universe (or better yet, about players playing EVE, robbing a bank or something ;) ). Those gorgeous stars, gas clouds and giant ships have burnt their shapes into my memory.
DerBonk

Postby LiQuid » Mar 16th, 2009 @ 11:51pm

Hannibal Rex wrote:If you're looking for a really good SF then I just have to recommend Metabarons, I'm not an SF fan and still I think it's something really special.

Holy shit, "special" does not accurately sum up this comic. It might be the most amazing thing I've ever read. Laser beam castration, robocrotch, whore-priestesses, mid-air childbirt, levitating babies, space sharks, and I've only read the first trade!!! It reads like it was written by a 12 year old with ADD! Seriously. Amazing. I owe you a huuuuuge solid for this one, man!
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 8:03am

I just read a post about Station on BoingBoing. It sounds great, but it's not really Science Fiction, I guess. But it takes place in space, on the ISS. A Russian cosmonaut gets murdered during an EVA, sounds interesting to me.
DerBonk

Postby Magitek85 » Mar 17th, 2009 @ 5:52pm

Glad you guys liked what you read of Hickmans. I can't champion that mans work enough. You can still get in on Red Mass as I think the last two issues are coming out soon and thats probably the most space opera esque just because its set in space. Did you try Pax Romana too? The catholic church discovers time travel and decides to go back and change the future to favor them, now THATS a premise. And Transhuman is a mockumentary like look into the future of surgical enhancements. I don't know about you but I'd pay good money to have a can opener on my hand.

Besides that I know the lead singer of Coheed and Cambria is writing comics for the huge epic storylines of their cds. I read the first trade but didn't really get into it. Just like the band, I wanted to like it but just couldn't. Still, it's pretty space opera. I can't remember what its called for sure. Second Stage Turbine Blade? Or was that before they changed the name? OH! The Amory Wars I think. You might like that.
Magitek85

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Mar 19th, 2009 @ 10:58am

I'm going to throw in X-Men: The Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire, since Ed Brubaker was specially shooting for a mutant-filled space opera on that one. The other Marvel cosmic books like Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest and also huge and sweeping but great reads.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby DerBonk » Mar 19th, 2009 @ 11:38am

Ash wrote:Metabarons is crazy. No one does Space Opera quite like the Europeans (mostly France and Belgium). There's so much stuff there that is never translated or anything. Heavy Metal magazine has a lot of it serialised though. If you enjoy Metabarons there will have been plenty of stuff in that over the years that you'd probably like.

I asked about Metabarons at the local comic book store yesterday and there is a ton of great looking Space Opera from European writers. I will definitely pick up Metabarons, as it just came out as a very, very nice collection (4 volumes I think, all hardcover with each one A4 print (I think it's a cover of one of the issues) in the back and fantastic quality). Another series that looked and sounded interesting is Red Star. Sowjets in space, with beautiful art.
DerBonk

Forum Statistics