Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: Where to start with Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Postby Hellsfire » Mar 20th, 2009 @ 2:03am

The first volume of the trade or the hardcover is a good start.
Hellsfire

Postby Hellsfire » Mar 20th, 2009 @ 3:25am

From what I've found out-yes. However, the HC has issue 20, which wraps up the previous storyline. I have the TPB and found that not having issue 20 didn't matter.
Hellsfire

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 20th, 2009 @ 9:09am

Yeah, you can just read the tpbs. Issue #20, while Alan Moore's first issue, is actually the wrap-up to a previous story. Issue #21, the first issue in the tpbs, he basically reboots Swamp Thing. Issue #20 is interesting, but eventually disregarded.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby exwingzero » Mar 25th, 2009 @ 12:51pm

If you really want to read issue 20 you can pick up the hardcover, if you feel you don't need to you can pick up the trade and save some money. His run is from volume 1-6 then Reich Viech takes over at volume 7 (I have just haven't read). You shouldn't have to know any backstory, and if you do, they explain it. There are homages later in Moore's run but if you don't know the bits of trivia you really don't miss out.

Also of note, there is a particular character (trying not going to spoil anything) who keeps mentioning New Castle. That wasn't something in the story at all, and wasn't adressed until later in a different book. You don't need to know about it, it's just an extra layer to a character in Swampthing.
If someone ask if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!
exwingzero

Forum Statistics