Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Who is the strongest hero in the DC Universe?

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 2:12pm

In terms of strength, not magic or power rings. Is it Citizen Steel?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Re: Who is the strongest hero in the DC Universe?

Postby IRL_Troll » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 4:37pm

Squirrel Girl...oh DC? Damn...There's a lot in the top tier.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Strength_Scale
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 4:39pm

Uh. You mean like, unaltered strength through some weird means? Darkseid, Lobo, Superman would be my top 3 just for physical strength.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 4:40pm

And with that link, this thread is rendered useless.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 4:54pm

That list doesn't have Citizen Steel on it so eX's question was still kind of unanswered.

Originally Commander Steel could only lift 1000 pounds but when he appeared in the pages of the All Star Squadron he was attributed 'super human' strength without an exact limit.

From the list posted it appears everyone above 800 pounds is considered to have powers and from that quote one would assume Steel is at 1000 without powers, I don't really know. Depending on which Steel you're talking about he's either a cyborg or has metal skin, not sure if that falls into the category of natural strength.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 6:03pm

Citizen Steel was altered when Reichsmark bled on him turning him into living steel. He cant control his strength so he has to wear a metal costume to reduce it to a manageable level or else he'd pretty much kill anyone he touched. The costume has a tensile strength of over 280,000 lbs. per square inch, so...

When the JSA fought Gog(the god not the lame villain), Gog sent everyone flying but Citizen Steel didn't even fall. He then sent Gog to the ground with one punch, something even old Superman wasn't able to do(old Supes is stronger than normal Supes). So by that fight alone I'd say Citizen Steel is stronger than Superman.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Oct 11th, 2010 @ 10:18pm

I'd be inclined to agree with you.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 6:16am

Also in Blackest Night, Citizen Steel fought Superman 2, Supes said during the fight that he's about as strong as Power Girl who is Kryptonian, but he was wearing his suit so he wasn't at full strength.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 11:53am

Mr_eX wrote:Citizen Steel was altered when Reichsmark bled on him turning him into living steel. He cant control his strength so he has to wear a metal costume to reduce it to a manageable level or else he'd pretty much kill anyone he touched. The costume has a tensile strength of over 280,000 lbs. per square inch, so...

When the JSA fought Gog(the god not the lame villain), Gog sent everyone flying but Citizen Steel didn't even fall. He then sent Gog to the ground with one punch, something even old Superman wasn't able to do(old Supes is stronger than normal Supes). So by that fight alone I'd say Citizen Steel is stronger than Superman.

If you want to classify strength in terms of landing the biggest punch wouldn't one of the Flashes qualify? i.e. the infinite mass punch?

wikipedia wrote:Infinite mass punch - Introduced in Grant Morrison's JLA title. Flash (Wally West), traveling near the speed of light acquired the relativistic mass of such speed to impart blows which could hit with the force of "a white dwarf star," enabling him to knock down such powerful foes as the White Martians with a single punch. Flash's own durability is regulated by the Speed Force in such cases.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 12:16pm

That clearly doesn't count as strength.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 12:53pm

Mr_eX wrote:That clearly doesn't count as strength.

Definitions of strength on the Web:

force: physical energy or intensity; "he hit with all the force he could muster"; "it was destroyed by the strength of the gale"; "a government has not the vitality and forcefulness of a living man"

potency: capacity to produce strong physiological or chemical effects; "the toxin's potency"; "the strength of the drinks"
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 1:06pm

Flash is a powerful character but counting that punch would be like counting an energy blast.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 1:13pm

Mr_eX wrote:Flash is a powerful character but counting that punch would be like counting an energy blast.

If we are defining strength as the physical application of force, the Flash reigns supreme. It isn't purely an energy blast, it is mass times acceleration.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 1:27pm

But Superman and Captain Marvel can go the speed of light too, so why wouldn't they be able to do the punch too?

Strength has many definitions

the physical power to carry out demanding tasks

the necessary qualities required to deal with stressful or painful situations

a source of strength or support

the ability to withstand force, pressure, or stress

the ability to resist attack

a valuable or useful ability, asset, or quality

the degree of intensity, e.g. of color, light, smell, or sound

force, effectiveness, or intensity, e.g. of beliefs, feelings, or expression

power to convince or persuade, e.g. by argument or suggestion

the potency of something such as an alcoholic drink or a drug

the number of people required to make something such as an army, team, or work force complete and enable it to function effectively

finance the tendency of prices to be stable or rise

I'm talking about physical power. Are you saying Flash could beat Superman in an arm wrestling match?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 2:09pm

Mr_eX wrote:But Superman and Captain Marvel can go the speed of light too, so why wouldn't they be able to do the punch too?

Who is to say they can't? I don't know if there bodies are durable enough to handle physical contact at lightspeed or near light speed. It is worth noting "Flash's own durability is regulated by the Speed Force in such cases" and Flash can move faster than light.

Mr_eX wrote:I'm talking about physical power. Are you saying Flash could beat Superman in an arm wrestling match?

Yes. The match would be over before Supes even had a chance to contract his muscles. In addition the Flash's acceleration would overcome any force Supes could generate.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 2:20pm

I don't think you know the rules of arm wrestling. Someone has to say go before they start, Flash can't just be like "surprise we're arm wrestling". In order for Flash to accelerate he would need room to move his arm, starting from the standard arm wrestling postion he wouldn't be able to accelerate because Superman would be holding him still, the best he could do is vibrate though him and thats not winning.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 2:32pm

Mr_eX wrote:I don't think you know the rules of arm wrestling.

Denigrating my intelligence, already? I haven't questioned your grasp of physics. I do know the rules of arm wrestling. The Flash would have plenty of time to react before Supes and all he would need is a micron of space since his acceleration is so absurdly overpowered.

If that isn't enough for you, we will delve into another aspect of the Flash's power:

Speed lend/steal - Perhaps his most versatile new power. Because the Speed Force governed all motion, the Flash could rob objects of their kinetic energy, motion, or momentum (e.g., bullets in flight or turning a supervillain into a statue) and use the energy to accelerate himself even faster.

In essence, he would use all of Superman's kinetic energy against him.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 2:45pm

I'm not denigrating your intelligence, I just assumed you have never seen Over the Top.

The speed force is like magic, which is why I don't think Flash counts. I'm not saying Flash couldn't beat Supes in a fight(couldn't he just run through him and make him explode?) but I don't see Flash being able to move a planet in/out of orbit.

Citizen Steels wouldn't be able to arm wrestle without killing his oppenent before it started.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 12th, 2010 @ 10:03pm

IRL_Troll wrote:Squirrel Girl...oh DC? Damn...There's a lot in the top tier.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Strength_Scale
I got excited reading that page when I saw "Ultraman." Then immediately got depressed when I realized they were talking about:

This loser:

and not this guy:

Because the real Ultraman could kill each and every person in the DC Universe.
kenzo

Postby IRL_Troll » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 4:37am

Except for the Goddamn Batman
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 12:53pm

Mr_eX wrote:I'm not denigrating your intelligence, I just assumed you have never seen Over the Top.

Okay. You are in trouble now. I'm turning my trucker cap backwards and you can't bribe me with a truck.

Mr_eX wrote:The speed force is like magic, which is why I don't think Flash counts.

It has never been consider a magical force in the DC universe before. It is no more magical than Earth's yellow sun powering Superman or absorbing metallic blood and becoming a living steel being.

Mr_eX wrote:I don't see Flash being able to move a planet in/out of orbit.

Really? A being who has mastery of all kinetic energy/motion wouldn't be able to affect planetary motion.

Mr_eX wrote:Citizen Steels wouldn't be able to arm wrestle without killing his oppenent before it started.

Assuming he was arm wrestling someone who isn't able to turn his own kinetic energy against him or Kal-L [Superman (Earth-Two)].

# Blackest Night: JSA #3 wrote:During the events of Blackest Night, Nathan helps fight off the hordes of Black Lanterns attacking Manhattan. He tries to help Power Girl during her battle with the newly reanimated Kal-L, but is knocked aside by the hero, who mockingly refers to him as a "paperweight" compared to him.

That weighs heavily against the theory of Citizen Steel being the "strongest" in the DC universe.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 2:06pm

In that fight black lantern Superman 2 says he's about as strong as Power Girl before throwing him but the thing is, Citizen Steel is wearing his costume and his costume reduces his strength by like 50%, so he's at least twice as strong as a Kryptonian. My theory stands.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 5:48pm

The answer is simple: Superman. Because he's the face of DC comics. He's the face of super heroes in general. Here's a simple way to put it:

If DC comics had to make a comic tomorrow about Superman vs anyone else in the DC Universe in a battle to the death... and the loser would die permanently and could never come back to a comic ever again in the future, who would win?

You can bet your asses that Superman would come out on top every single time, except maybe against Batman.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 6:12pm

kenzo wrote:The answer is simple: Superman. Because he's the face of DC comics. He's the face of super heroes in general. Here's a simple way to put it:

If DC comics had to make a comic tomorrow about Superman vs anyone else in the DC Universe in a battle to the death... and the loser would die permanently and could never come back to a comic ever again in the future, who would win?

You can bet your asses that Superman would come out on top every single time, except maybe against Batman.

I'm not asking who would win in a fight I'm asking who the strongest is.

JSA couldn't knock Gog down(notice Superman from Kingdom Come, he's way stronger than standard Supes)
http://i.imgur.com/b9kBS.jpg

Gog vs Citizen Steel
http://imgur.com/3gs77.jpg
http://imgur.com/clqVj.jpg
http://imgur.com/7h7S9.jpg

Images are huge so I made them links
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 6:25pm

Mr_eX wrote:I'm not asking who would win in a fight I'm asking who the strongest is.
Arguing over whoever is the strongest is meaningless if they won't win in a fight. It would be like a guy boasting about having a three foot long dick - it's a kind of meaningless distinction if it's so big that he can't have sex with it.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 7:01pm

It's been discussed already but I don't think Flash is the strongest and yet he could beat everyone without much effort. It's known that Mongul is stronger than Supes and yet Supes and Lanterns beat him pretty often. I don't think Citizen Steel would have a chance against Supes, he's stronger but he doesn't have freeze breath, laser eyes or super speed.

If the question is who would win in a fight, the answer is always Mogo, he's a planet with a power ring.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 7:06pm

When you consider for a moment that the Flash doesn't break into a million pieces when he hits something, or that his feet don't rub down into stubs from the incredible amount of friction that he must generate, or that he doesn't bust into flames like he ought to whenever he runs faster than the speed of sound for durations longer than a few dozen seconds... IMO the Flash is way stronger than people give him credit for. His body has to be almost as durable as Superman's in order to tolerate the shit he subjects it to.
kenzo

Postby Bobloblaw » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 7:14pm

Mr_eX wrote:Citizen Steel is wearing his costume and his costume reduces his strength by like 50%, so he's at least twice as strong as a Kryptonian. My theory stands.

He was beaten in that fight at half strength. Would it have been the same outcome if he was at full strength? Who knows?

Two interesting things to note about his costume.

One, he has to wear it because he can't he doesn't have enough control without it. If he can't control it, it doesn't count.

Two, how does the costume cut his strength in half? It does so by restricting his movement. What hero has the ability to restrict movement? That is right ... the Flash.

Mr_eX wrote:I'm not asking who would win in a fight I'm asking who the strongest is.

Right. We already know the answer to this. Kal-L mopped the floor with him.

JSA couldn't knock Gog down(notice Superman from Kingdom Come, he's way stronger than standard Supes)

It depends which Supes and what point in time.
Bobloblaw

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 7:48pm

kenzo wrote:When you consider for a moment that the Flash doesn't break into a million pieces when he hits something, or that his feet don't rub down into stubs from the incredible amount of friction that he must generate, or that he doesn't bust into flames like he ought to whenever he runs faster than the speed of sound for durations longer than a few dozen seconds... IMO the Flash is way stronger than people give him credit for. His body has to be almost as durable as Superman's in order to tolerate the shit he subjects it to.

Flash's own durability is regulated by the Speed Force
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 13th, 2010 @ 7:52pm

Mr_eX wrote:Flash's own durability is regulated by the Speed Force
WTF does that even mean.
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics