Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

DC reboots entire line

Postby Master Higgins » May 31st, 2011 @ 1:46pm

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/201 ... ents_n.htm

Starting this summer, the publisher will re-number its entire DC Universe of titles, revamping famous characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and others from its 76-year history for a more modern and diverse 21st century.

The first book to be released under this new era: Justice League No. 1, out Aug. 31, a series by writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee that reunites the famous lineup of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Entire line day-and-date both digital and physical. New costumes. New origins. The characters are younger. Mind, blown.

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2011 @ 1:53pm

Isn't that just kind of like Ultimate Marvel? What is going to happen to all of the books they are running currently? Are they all just going to stop wherever they are in July and revert back to number 1?
LiQuid

Postby Ranmabot » May 31st, 2011 @ 1:54pm

BIG news! So I guess it's safe to say the next Comics Conspiracy podcast is gonna be about, oh, I dunno, ... this? lol
DCUO Server: New Frontier (PC)
Flintlocke
lvl 30/Fire/Dual Pistols/DPS
Ranmabot

Postby Master Higgins » May 31st, 2011 @ 2:26pm

Will be rebooted: (31)
Adventure Comics
Batgirl
Batman
Batman: Detective
Batman & Robin
Batman Beyond
Batman: Dark Knight
Gotham City Sirens
Batman Inc
Birds of Prey
Booster Gold
Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
Justice League of America
Justice Society
Legion of Super-Heroes
Power Girl
Red Robin
Secret Six
Superboy
Supergirl
Action Comics
Superman
Superman/Batman
Teen Titans
Titans
Wonder Woman
Zatanna

Maybe?: (2)
Jonah Hex
THUNDER Agents

New series: (10)
Aquaman
Batgirl and Nightwing
Batwoman
Firestorm?
Green Lantern: Multi-Color Corps Team
Green Lantern: Red Lantern
Hawkman?
Justice League
Justice League International
Martian Manhunter?
Swamp Thing?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » May 31st, 2011 @ 2:43pm

Why????
kenzo

Postby Zook Zoltn » May 31st, 2011 @ 2:45pm

Red Lantern for new series.
And I can hope for a new Animal Man series.
Zook Zoltn

Postby seamus2389 » May 31st, 2011 @ 2:52pm

I am interested in the more diverse lineup although I can already here fanboys screaming x has always been white/male and whether Mr. Higgins is right in thinking the JL will be the ground for an Avengers style expanding of the titles.
seamus2389

Postby Kyari » May 31st, 2011 @ 2:53pm

Is that a confirmed list of reboots, or just all of the current ongoings that are assumed to reboot?
Kyari

Postby Flameboy » May 31st, 2011 @ 3:23pm

What makes the Red Lanterns so special. I would have thought Sinestro would get his own book.

Also maybe a new Hawk and Dove book, and maybe a new Deadman book?
Flameboy

Postby Zook Zoltn » May 31st, 2011 @ 3:35pm

Flameboy wrote:..., and maybe a new Deadman book?

Bleeding Cool is reporting Deadman will star in Adventure Comics.
Zook Zoltn

Postby jinpei05 » May 31st, 2011 @ 3:42pm

Master Higgins wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm

Starting this summer, the publisher will re-number its entire DC Universe of titles, revamping famous characters such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and others from its 76-year history for a more modern and diverse 21st century.

The first book to be released under this new era: Justice League No. 1, out Aug. 31, a series by writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee that reunites the famous lineup of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Entire line day-and-date both digital and physical. New costumes. New origins. The characters are younger. Mind, blown.

Unless Johns has handed in two years worth of scripts and Lee's been penciling since 2005, I refuse to get excited. That fucker still hasn't finished All-Star Batman and Robin.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Wobag » May 31st, 2011 @ 3:52pm

Five Lantern books is surely overkill in anyone's book.

My guess is Emerald Warriors goes away. 4 is still one too many.
Wobag

Postby Flameboy » May 31st, 2011 @ 3:54pm

Wobag wrote:Five Lantern books is surely overkill in anyone's book.

My guess is Emerald Warriors goes away. 4 is still one too many.

Same can be said of the Bat books. But I like em both so all is cool with me.
Flameboy

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2011 @ 3:55pm

Nobody has a guess on an answer to my questions? Are they going to just continue all ongoing stories just make every book #1? Or are they going to completely stop every book they are currently releasing and start new stories for everything. Like for example, wouldn't it be kind of dumb if they took Batman Inc, which only has 4 issues out so far, and completely reboot it with a brand new number 1 and a new start to the story.
LiQuid

Postby Kyari » May 31st, 2011 @ 4:00pm

I worry that, if it's a hard reboot, we could lose some of the more convoluted or superfluous characters all together.

Do mainstream audiences really need 4 human Green Lanterns in the corp? Do they really want to have to reboot all four of them even if they did? Then you have the likes of Power Girl with her reliance on Earth 2 as a backstory, if there's time travel messing around as a cause of the reboot is that going to result in the loss of either Supergirl or Power girl? What about Tim Drake/Damien Wayne, or even any other Legacy type characters with hand me down names/costumes/etc?

Though part of me is already automatically being cynical over the whole thing, will it REALLY be as drastic as they're implying? Some pre-planned titles have merely been pushed back until just after the reboot. Batwoman and Firestorm off the top of my head, so maybe it's not going to really matter that much in the end.
Kyari

Postby jinpei05 » May 31st, 2011 @ 4:09pm

LiQuid wrote:Nobody has a guess on an answer to my questions? Are they going to just continue all ongoing stories just make every book #1? Or are they going to completely stop every book they are currently releasing and start new stories for everything. Like for example, wouldn't it be kind of dumb if they took Batman Inc, which only has 4 issues out so far, and completely reboot it with a brand new number 1 and a new start to the story.

Every book will start at #1 again. That's kind of the point of a reboot.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Wobag » May 31st, 2011 @ 4:13pm

LiQuid wrote:Nobody has a guess on an answer to my questions? Are they going to just continue all ongoing stories just make every book #1? Or are they going to completely stop every book they are currently releasing and start new stories for everything. Like for example, wouldn't it be kind of dumb if they took Batman Inc, which only has 4 issues out so far, and completely reboot it with a brand new number 1 and a new start to the story.

My guess is that at the very least every book will have a good jump on point in September.
So yes I expect a new story arc for every book. Batman Inc is sort of self contained issues isnt it? If so I expect its in an easier position than most.

Yes clearly renumbering a book to 1 when its only at 4 is hardly a great move, but DC has to think theres more to gain from a big unified effort than going half hearted to spare the awkwardness for a few books.
Wobag

Postby Wobag » May 31st, 2011 @ 4:53pm

Actually, having now slowly digested the release I think the telling phrase is:

"This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience"

That statement feels like some books are flatly incompatible with this new DC universe.

How can a younger less experienced Batman be pursuing Batman Inc at all?
Wobag

Postby Coctopus » May 31st, 2011 @ 5:18pm

This gives me an erection. Can't wait to be able to buy things day and date.
Coctopus

Postby Master Higgins » May 31st, 2011 @ 5:44pm

Coctopus wrote:This gives me an erection. Can't wait to be able to buy things day and date.

Hopefully, you'll be buying them through our soon-to-be live ComiXology site! :D
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby darfox8 » May 31st, 2011 @ 6:09pm

Is there such thing as a subscribtion that sends cool Batman shit to my aunt's house here in Chile. Also, is there a ray gun that turns uncool non-Batman shit into cool Batman shit?
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Coctopus » May 31st, 2011 @ 6:27pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Coctopus wrote:This gives me an erection. Can't wait to be able to buy things day and date.

Hopefully, you'll be buying them through our soon-to-be live ComiXology site! :D

Of course, sir!
Coctopus

Postby socialfonso » May 31st, 2011 @ 8:21pm

Like someone else has posted, I'm wondering if all current creative teams have been given a mandate to end all current storylines by their August issue. With only two books dropping on August 31st, where does this leave a book like "Batman, Inc," and it's current storyline?

I completely understand we're on "Day One" of DC's big announcement but I sincerely hope they give out some information on this soon, preferrably before SDCC.

With that said, what's a guy gotta do for a David Lapham written "Deathstroke and Ravager?"
socialfonso

Postby DarthChris4 » May 31st, 2011 @ 10:28pm

Coctopus wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Of course, sir!

My GF will be happy since she just got a Xoom and loves the comic viewing apps she's downloaded for it recently.

What's the difference between all the JL series?

I'll be starting up new subscriptions in September!
DarthChris4

Postby Ninjabear » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 6:18am

So what's going to happen to Batgirl (Stephine Brown), Tim Drake, Superboy, Damien, all the other characters I actually like?
Ninjabear

Postby Norman Osborn » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 7:41am

from everything I heard yesterday on Twitter and websites it sounds as if DC is pulling an "Ultimate" treatment and totally wiping out everything we know through it's Flashpoint series, which is currently running through August. Justice League #1 will come out at the end of August with the rest of the #1 to follow in September. My guess is that Flashpoint will "redo" everything as the universe starts over again. It was said somewhere, sorry no reference, that DC wants to view these characters in todays time with a refreshed look. If I understand this correctly, they will give everyone a new origin, similar to what happened after Crisis on Infinie Earths.
You can assume that everything up to Flashpoint can be erased. They will throw in some clever plot where history will be rewritten, but not forgotten. I guess the characters will have a younger look which tells me that nothing is off limits. Like Higgins said earlier, this is a reboot. Everything starts over. I feel that this is DC's way in trying to regain the market share from Marvel, which they haven't had since 2002. This will make producing their upcoming rebooted movies more accessible to the general public. It appears to be very similar to Marvel. More mainstream.
Simply Norman...
Norman Osborn

Postby LiQuid » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 10:03am

DC probably doesn't realize that they reason why they haven't had market share since 2002 is because Marvel's movies have been good and DC's have been nonexistent or just sucked balls. Batman isn't going to carry your label forever.
LiQuid

Postby Kyari » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 12:31pm

I would not be upset if this Babs as Batgirl thing turns out to be true, but seeing as Bleedingcool is the only source....
Kyari

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 12:58pm

I just hope Dick Grayson's belt buckle implausibility gets fixed.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Kyari » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 2:32pm

Haha, what?

Also editorially mandated pants for female characters. Not sure how I feel about that.
Kyari

Next
Forum Statistics