Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 8:44am

Took me about fifteen minutes to blast through Birds of Prey #3-5. Book is fucking aweeeeeeesome. I was wrong to dismiss this book. It might actually be the best batchicks book out right now since Batwoman and Batgirl suffer from writing woes and Batwoman's on its B-artist until July.

As much as I love Travel Foreman, I'm now officially going to miss Jesus Saiz on this book! He draws perfect ladies. Everybody on the team looks very distinctive and there's so much consistency from panel to panel. I think DC's musical chairs with artists is going to pay off and succeed in getting me trickle down interested in Resurrection Man now too!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 9:51am

Yeah, BoP is picking up some steam at the store as people who dismissed it are getting into it now...
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby DarthChris4 » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 1:09pm

I'm thinking of dropping a couple of books I've been reading, just because it's getting a bit too expensive, but I don't want to cut short a storyline. So I'm wondering as of February and the #6s of these books, which are done with a story arc or are in the middle of one:

New Guardians, Batman & Robin, Nightwing, Superboy and Supergirl.

Thanks
DarthChris4
User avatar
 
Posts: 175
Joined: May 4th, 2011 @ 9:16am
Location: san jose, ca

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 1:32pm

New Guardians is smack dab in the middle of a storyline right now. I don't read any of the rest of the stuff, but those are all B-tier books, I wouldn't feel bad about dropping any of them.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:08pm

DarthChris4 wrote:I'm thinking of dropping a couple of books I've been reading, just because it's getting a bit too expensive, but I don't want to cut short a storyline. So I'm wondering as of February and the #6s of these books, which are done with a story arc or are in the middle of one:

New Guardians, Batman & Robin, Nightwing, Superboy and Supergirl.

Thanks
Those are some of my favorite books... :?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:23pm

kenzo wrote:
DarthChris4 wrote:I'm thinking of dropping a couple of books I've been reading, just because it's getting a bit too expensive, but I don't want to cut short a storyline. So I'm wondering as of February and the #6s of these books, which are done with a story arc or are in the middle of one:

New Guardians, Batman & Robin, Nightwing, Superboy and Supergirl.

Thanks
Those are some of my favorite books... :?

And they're all really good, hence, LiQuid's dislike of them. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:27pm

Nothing is really happening with the New Guardains, and it seems to feature a heavy amount of cross-pollination with the other GL books. So if you're not reading those, it probably doesn't make much sense to keep reading that. Same with Superboy and Teen Titans - those books seem to be the same story, just split between two different titles. That said, if you are reading those other books, have fun making sense of stuff without these.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:40pm

I'm not really seeing the cross pollination in NG. All the Lantern books seem very very separate so far. That said, nothing going on in any of them is as interesting as the main GL book.

As for the other four I couldn't find anything in the first two issues of any of them to justify continuing to read. The first two issues of Supergirl were particularly stupid (oh, I'm confused so I will fight EVERYONE!). B&R and Nightwing seemed like they had potential but I don't really care about Batfamily books unless the main character has a vagina or there's a really good writer on it, like I'll probably go read all Snyder's Batman stuff someday.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:42pm

No, you won't.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:48pm

I think the relaunch was a success, I have stuck with about 18 of the books, and they are doing a toll on my bank account! I really liked everything I picked up with the exception of a couple titles. Superboy, Mister Terrific I dropped.

Man has Blue Beetle been excellent! Lots of the others have too, but Blue Beetle and Nightwing have been my surprises. Thinking about dropping Batgirl, not digging that book at all.
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:49pm

LiQuid wrote:I'm not really seeing the cross pollination in NG.
In the last month, it feels like there's lots of books beginning to cross polinate. The last issue of New Guardians has a pretty direct tie-in with the Red Lanterns.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:51pm

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:I'm not really seeing the cross pollination in NG.
In the last month, it feels like there's lots of books beginning to cross polinate. The last issue of New Guardians has a pretty direct tie-in with the Red Lanterns.

What is it? I'm not seeing RL tie into anything, and NG are off in their weird artificial solar system...
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 2:58pm

Bleez is hopping between titles (hell, there's even an editor note that is basically "Read RLs if you want this to make sense - LULZ!", and they're implying the RLs will get involved.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 3:04pm

Oooooh, god I forget Bleez is even in New Guardians without all Ed Benes' ass shots. :lol:

Ok, so the only real tie in is that Atrocitus threw her in the blood lake to make her sentient. That still doesn't seem like a ton of correlation between the titles.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 3:14pm

Killinginist wrote:I think the relaunch was a success, I have stuck with about 18 of the books, and they are doing a toll on my bank account! I really liked everything I picked up with the exception of a couple titles. Superboy, Mister Terrific I dropped.

Man has Blue Beetle been excellent! Lots of the others have too, but Blue Beetle and Nightwing have been my surprises. Thinking about dropping Batgirl, not digging that book at all.


I dropped Batgirl too, but that was less about the quality of the book, and more to the fact I picked up other books that have been good, like Flash.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 3:24pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Killinginist wrote:I think the relaunch was a success, I have stuck with about 18 of the books, and they are doing a toll on my bank account! I really liked everything I picked up with the exception of a couple titles. Superboy, Mister Terrific I dropped.

Man has Blue Beetle been excellent! Lots of the others have too, but Blue Beetle and Nightwing have been my surprises. Thinking about dropping Batgirl, not digging that book at all.


I dropped Batgirl too, but that was less about the quality of the book, and more to the fact I picked up other books that have been good, like Flash.


Yeah, Flash is great. There are so many books that are better than Batgirl on the stands right now. That's my problem. I think quality across the board for the new DC is there. I like the Barbara character and I wish they would do something with her and Nightwing romance wise, that's why I'm hanging around. Will they do it? I don't know, but I almost can't drop it for that reason alone.
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 3:25pm

I got to start cutting my pull list starting this month...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 3:34pm

Killinginist wrote:Yeah, Flash is great. There are so many books that are better than Batgirl on the stands right now. That's my problem. I think quality across the board for the new DC is there. I like the Barbara character and I wish they would do something with her and Nightwing romance wise, that's why I'm hanging around. Will they do it? I don't know, but I almost can't drop it for that reason alone.

Glad nobody is reading Batgirl. Fuck that book. Put Babs back in the wheelchair, get Stephanie or Cassie in the suit and let Duane Sczwe'repolish write it and I'll start reading it again.

My current DC pull is:
Action
Animal Man
Batwoman
Birds of Prey
Demon Knights
Flash
Frankenstein
GL/GLC/NG
I Vampire
Justice League
JL Dark
Red Lanterns
Shade
Suicide Squad
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman

18 exactly. Really love most of those. Only thing on there even close to being dropped is Red Lanterns.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 3:48pm

That's good that you can name all the titles you are reading off-hand LiQuid! I have no idea what I am getting week to week. I just show up and pick up whatever I have been reading, that's currently sitting on the rack. I spend about $60 weekly. I need halp!

Was that last Action issue turrible or what? Man, I hope there is a good recover after that one! I liked the first 5, but 6 was just turrible.
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 3:52pm

My shop has online pull list management, cause it's awesome. :)
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 4:01pm

That is awesome LiQuid, you must be at one of those super sophisticated shops! My comic shop has all kinds of back issues, but they still have paper pull list management. I dont' have them pull it many weeks anyways, because I'm always there when they open on Wednesdays to grab any variants they may have!
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 4:04pm

Killinginist wrote:That is awesome LiQuid, you must be at one of those super sophisticated shops!

:lol: If you saw their website, you'd :lol: too.

Here, click, but get some eye bleach ready.

http://www.collectorsedgecomics.com/
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 4:21pm

Nice man, that website is pretty cool. Now I know where I can go to find a list of what's shipping the following week! Like the Halloween theme about the website! Glad you have a cool shop down there in Milwaukee!
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 4:33pm

I really like Batgirl and the most recent issue of Action Comics... >_>
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby SerpentineZERO » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 5:30pm

I've been enjoying Batgirl but I may drop that and Demon Knights and try out something else. I'm trade-waiting on Resurrection Man, Supergirl, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, JL Dark, Swamp Thing, Batwing, and maybe Superboy and Red Hood.

Shit, I might have to start culling those too.
SerpentineZERO
User avatar
 
Posts: 578
Joined: May 21st, 2011 @ 6:02pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 6:03pm

Not sure how anybody can not be pleased by Demon Knights if they're a fan of the premise. For the size of its cast that series probably has the best character development of any New 52 book. All the characters have a very distinct voice and set of motivations and we've barely seen any layers peeled back.

Also every issue has a ton of great action, dragons, dinosaurs and sorcery and shit... Such a god damned good book.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 6:05pm

I've been enjoying Batgirl. It's mostly because it plays out less like a superhero book, and more about a personal young adult drama where the superhero stuff is almost incidental to Babs' rehabilitation and her complicated relationships with the people she loves. I know for most people, that's gonna be boring and stupid and not what comics are about... but reading the rest of these New 52 where it's punch-dudes-in-the-face-all-the-time-for-no-reason-madness, this is a pretty cool change of pace. Plus, Babs is the best. <3<3<3
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 6:10pm

Were you a big Felicity fan, kenzo?
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 6:13pm

Also, if you like the things that you say you like about this Batgirl series you should go back and try and find some of the most recent X-23 series. Maybe it's because Laura plays a better "straight man" to the typical girlie girl stuff, but Marjorie Liu does that tone of book so much better. Gail Simone reads like she just got her gold star certificate in Girl Writing 101.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby SerpentineZERO » Feb 13th, 2012 @ 7:16pm

kenzo wrote:I've been enjoying Batgirl. It's mostly because it plays out less like a superhero book, and more about a personal young adult drama where the superhero stuff is almost incidental to Babs' rehabilitation and her complicated relationships with the people she loves. I know for most people, that's gonna be boring and stupid and not what comics are about... but reading the rest of these New 52 where it's punch-dudes-in-the-face-all-the-time-for-no-reason-madness, this is a pretty cool change of pace. Plus, Babs is the best. <3<3<3


This is kinda why I like it too.

LiQuid wrote:Not sure how anybody can not be pleased by Demon Knights if they're a fan of the premise. For the size of its cast that series probably has the best character development of any New 52 book. All the characters have a very distinct voice and set of motivations and we've barely seen any layers peeled back.

Also every issue has a ton of great action, dragons, dinosaurs and sorcery and shit... Such a god damned good book.


I like it but it's been moving slow for a few issues, though i've not read the new one. I sorta don't wanna jump off because it's probably one of those series that'll get cancelled and not collected. I was also considering dropping JL but the upcoming arcs look interesting, plus Captain Marvel backups. Same with Batman, but then it reminded me why it's awesome. The Ray is pretty decent as well, I think.

After those, the only DC books left that i pull are:

Suicide Squad
Nightwing
Animal Man (but i haven't read any of them yet, missing #1)
Batwoman
The Shade

Probably not going to drop any of those anytime soon unless they take a massive dive in quality.
SerpentineZERO
User avatar
 
Posts: 578
Joined: May 21st, 2011 @ 6:02pm
Location: Riverside, CA

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Options

Return to Comics

cron