Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby TopHaZZard » Feb 23rd, 2012 @ 6:59am

So I took your guys advice and started reading Batman and I think its pretty solid.

It was so hard not to just buy all of them at once because they were only 2$ each in CC comixology store.

I agree with all the Red Hood art being awesome. Its the primary the reason I started the New 52 with Red Hood.
TopHaZZard

Postby Killinginist » Feb 23rd, 2012 @ 11:44am

Haven't read Flash #6 yet, but I was definitely happy with Aquaman #6. I actually think I like what Johns is doing better with the Aquaman reboot than the Green Lantern reboot. Should get to read lots more comics tonight.
Killinginist

Postby LiQuid » Feb 23rd, 2012 @ 11:58am

Aquaman 6 was the worst issue of that series so far. Bootleg art and a side story about Mera that wasted a lot of time just to hammer home the "not all humans r bad lol" lesson. I've been saying I was going to drop this issue for weeks but I keep getting it because of Johns and Reis. I think this might have finally been the one that gets me to drop it.
LiQuid

Postby Killinginist » Feb 23rd, 2012 @ 2:19pm

Aquaman #6 was the worst issue of the series so far. It was just filler, but it gave us a little glimpse into the history of Mera and Arthur, which I know nothing of. I haven't read Aquaman before, and I still had fun with the read.
Killinginist

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2012 @ 12:07pm

Anybody wanna try and justify what happens in Green Lantern Corp 6??? Spoiler, cause it seems like a big deal.

Spoiler: show
So John Stewart and 2 other Green Lanterns are being held and tortured for the pass code to Oa. One of the red shirt lanterns is like "I'm not as strong as you!!" and tells his ring to spill its guts. So John's all like "LOL SRY BRO, no wai" slips out of his space ropes and reaches over and snaps his neck killing him and sending his ring flying back to Oa. Literally the next page, him and red shirt #2 bust out of the base they are being held in and the other GL is like "how u do that bro, our rings are juiced?" and John's like "Oh there was enough to get us twenty feet away but now they're empty and we're fucked!" Then Guy and his Hard Ass Motherfucker Corps sweep in and save the day... It's literally a three panel difference between John murdering a companion (granted one that showed a weakness of willpower) and being rescued.

I understand they are probably trying to establish some kind of identity for what was probably the most boring and nondescript of the 2814 Lanterns but that was probably the most unsubtle and ridiculous way they could have done it. It just ended up making John look like a huge fucking asshole and a bit of a psychopath. Anybody wanna weigh in on this? This just seems like really shitty writing on Tomasi's behalf but maybe I'm missing something.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2012 @ 3:39pm

I had no idea JLD and I Vamp were crossing over. Wonder how many issues that's gonna run. Anyways, JLD this month was alright. Cool art but just more team building. I Vampire, though, holy shit. They pretty convincingly killed Andrew, regardless of how that turned out. Also eff that bee that was tagging along with them! Batman is so damn ridiculous in this book and I really hope he checks out soon. His no-kill policy, while kind of novel and silly in a vampire book really hampers the serious nature of what's going on. I don't really like him there at all.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Feb 26th, 2012 @ 3:49pm

I liked that. I was genuinely like "oh snap! homeboy will do whatever it takes to get shit done!" I think that probably, they set this up not only to be kind of a character-defining moment, but to also be something he kind of dwells upon and holds against either himself or the Guardians (for fucking over this alien species to begin with).
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2012 @ 3:52pm

I don't care that it happened. I care that it happened while he is literally at the same time Deus Ex Machina'ing his way out of captivity... Why didn't he just escape sooner with both of his bros?!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Feb 26th, 2012 @ 4:13pm

They were all holding out, waiting for the hope of being rescued. If they were to try and escape, it would basically be a death sentence. When that red shirt cracked it was the moment where John Stewart was like, "whelp, we can't wait anymore." He had to make a move then and there or else Oa and the rest of the GLs were fucked. Everything made perfect sense to me. He broke free and killed his buddy fully expecting to die shortly after - it was just a bit of extremely good (or bad) timing that it happened to coincide with the other dudes rescue plan.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2012 @ 4:20pm

Hmm, ok. I guess you've swayed me. I'll just chalk the stupidness of the timing of Guy showing up as comics.

Still seems like even if it was a death sentence, just hanging around (literally, lol) waiting for someone to crack is less productive than wiggling out of your ropes and using that little bit of ring power left to TRY and escape or die fighting. By just continuing to hang there he was almost inviting the red shirt to crack. In the end it just felt like they came to the decision that they wanted John to snap a motherfucker's neck and then concocted some nonsense in order to facilitate it. Can I at least have that much?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 7:59am

Holy fuck Earth 2 Batman! :lol:

LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 9:38am

The escrima stick leads me to believe that my suspicion that Dick Grayson is Earth-2's Batman is gaining merit.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Killinginist » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 11:15am

Oh let it be so! I hope Dick Grayson is Earth-2 Batman! I really liked him at the end of the old continuity. I could go for some more Dick Grayson Batman.

And I agree that I, Vampire was awesome. I wasn't expecting that with Andrew. He has to come back somehow right??? And yeah, I agree they need to check Batman out of that book pronto. But with Andrew gone, who's going to stop Mary? So many questions, hope we get some of them answered next issue.
Killinginist

Postby LiQuid » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 11:27am

I did a minimal amount of checking to see if Andrew was a returning character or if they created him for the New 52 and didn't see him mentioned anywhere, but I still highly doubt they would kill him for real. Without the interplay of him and Mary the book has no purpose. More importantly though I wonder what they're going to do with the book after Mary is "stopped." Obviously the book will have no legs if every single issue is Andrew trying to stop Mary so they have to give him and his ragtag group of vampire hunters other shit to do, but the book has been so singularly focused on Andrew and Mary since issue one I don't know if it will hold up with a less personal, emotionally charged storyline.
LiQuid

Postby Killinginist » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 1:04pm

LiQuid wrote:I did a minimal amount of checking to see if Andrew was a returning character or if they created him for the New 52 and didn't see him mentioned anywhere, but I still highly doubt they would kill him for real. Without the interplay of him and Mary the book has no purpose. More importantly though I wonder what they're going to do with the book after Mary is "stopped." Obviously the book will have no legs if every single issue is Andrew trying to stop Mary so they have to give him and his ragtag group of vampire hunters other shit to do, but the book has been so singularly focused on Andrew and Mary since issue one I don't know if it will hold up with a less personal, emotionally charged storyline.

Yeah, I agree with you LiQuid. I don't think there is any way they could have actually killed him off. I am sure he will come back some how. How will they have a book if he is dead? I doubt it will focus on Mary, but even still. What do they do once this feud is over? It will be interesting to see, as I am sure they are already thinking of where to go next, hopefully already have lots of other ideas planned.
Killinginist

Postby LiQuid » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 1:15pm

It would be cool if they turned it into kind of a vampire anthology where they switched the cast of characters and tone of the book every handful of issues. It would give this story so much more emotional heft if they did in fact kill off both characters (preferable together) and then maybe went to a more anarchist/mayhem theme like AmVam, or a comedic theme. I love this book for its current tone and its amazing art, but I think there's a bit of a vampire renaissance going on right now that could pave the way for a lot of varied, vampyrical tales.
LiQuid

Postby Killinginist » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 3:28pm

I do think it is kind of better dramatically when they make deaths stick. Like in UXF, it was a huge moment when psylocke killed angel, but then he just came walking out. Why not leave him dead like Jean? That would have made that whole story arc way more impactful. Sure they will bring him back in 10 years or something, but leave him dead for a while. :)

When do you all think they are going to bring Jean back? Ever?
Killinginist

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 3:30pm

Killinginist wrote:I do think it is kind of better dramatically when they make deaths stick. Like in UXF, it was a huge moment when psylocke killed angel, but then he just came walking out. Why not leave him dead like Jean? That would have made that whole story arc way more impactful. Sure they will bring him back in 10 years or something, but leave him dead for a while. :)

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel- ... 11017.html
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Killinginist » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 3:35pm

Master Higgins wrote:
Killinginist wrote:I do think it is kind of better dramatically when they make deaths stick. Like in UXF, it was a huge moment when psylocke killed angel, but then he just came walking out. Why not leave him dead like Jean? That would have made that whole story arc way more impactful. Sure they will bring him back in 10 years or something, but leave him dead for a while. :)

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel- ... 11017.html

Higgins, wait, look at those writers! Do you think they were originally planning on doing a return of the Phoenix story and then decided to do AVX? Do you think they would do a big Phoenix arc and the AVX stuff? Hmmm... Do you think it will be Jean coming back? Or will the Phoenix force come back through Rachel? So many quesitons.
Killinginist

Postby LiQuid » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 3:36pm

Jean's died and come back so many times.

As for Angel, I thought the way Remender handled it was flawless. "Killing" him with the Seed of Life struck me as dumb and oxymoronical. Instead it literally just granted him a new life. Warren as he was is essentially gone. Who knows if they'll ever give him back his pre-Dark Angel memories or not, but for the moment he is making a pretty hilarious addition to the JGS student roster.

Why are we talking about X-Men comics in the DC thread?
LiQuid

Postby Killinginist » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 4:41pm

LiQuid wrote:Jean's died and come back so many times.

As for Angel, I thought the way Remender handled it was flawless. "Killing" him with the Seed of Life struck me as dumb and oxymoronical. Instead it literally just granted him a new life. Warren as he was is essentially gone. Who knows if they'll ever give him back his pre-Dark Angel memories or not, but for the moment he is making a pretty hilarious addition to the JGS student roster.

Why are we talking about X-Men comics in the DC thread?

I agree, I think Remender handled it really well, but I feel like all this fake killing people makes it lose it's appeal. I mean sure psylocke had to "kill" him, but even before the end of the issue he is back. Sure he doesn't have any memories, but man. That kind of takes the impact away from me. Imagine if Angel was actually dead. It would have made the already monumental arc, that much more!
Killinginist

Postby LiQuid » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 5:01pm

I dunno. I still disagree that just straight up offing him forever would be a better plan. Especially since you admit there's really no state of being "actually dead" in comics. The fate of Angel now is more interesting than just adding him to the list of currently dead X-Men that may or may not pop back up some time in the future. Also, if you're reading WatXM you've noticed that there are some questions about the evolution of Angel's powers that make him much more angelic in his Seed of Life state. Once he sheds the currently comedic childlike personality of being basically freshly born, there is potential to turn him into a vastly more interesting character.
LiQuid

Postby SerpentineZERO » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 5:53pm

LiQuid wrote:Jean's died and come back so many times.

I read somewhere that she's only actually done that once or twice, if you don't count fake outs and stuff.

BACK TO DC

The description of Earth-2 Batman sounds like the Thomas Wayne Flashpoint Batman, kinda.
SerpentineZERO

Postby Killinginist » Feb 27th, 2012 @ 6:48pm

LiQuid wrote:I dunno. I still disagree that just straight up offing him forever would be a better plan. Especially since you admit there's really no state of being "actually dead" in comics. The fate of Angel now is more interesting than just adding him to the list of currently dead X-Men that may or may not pop back up some time in the future. Also, if you're reading WatXM you've noticed that there are some questions about the evolution of Angel's powers that make him much more angelic in his Seed of Life state. Once he sheds the currently comedic childlike personality of being basically freshly born, there is potential to turn him into a vastly more interesting character.

I actually enjoyed the old angel.archangel schtick quite a bit though. I do agree I guess whats the point in killing him to bring him back in ten years or so. Maybe they should have just killed him for real! What? In a comic.... no!
Killinginist

Postby SerpentineZERO » Feb 28th, 2012 @ 4:45pm

So looks like Huntress on Earth 2 was Robin at some point.Image
SerpentineZERO

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 10:14am

JL #6 spoilers:

They kick the shit out of Darkseid, Pandora is Darkseid's daughter, she built this new universe, and it seems like they remember the old universe. Pandora's Box is a Mother Box! :o
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 10:21am

Jesus fucking shit...

so she really is a potential reset button then?
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 10:54am

LiQuid wrote:Jesus fucking shit...

so she really is a potential reset button then?

Seems like it. It's not clearly stated, but heavily implied.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 11:02am

So how long until they put that into effect? Do you still think they'll hang on to it as an ace in the hole, or have we all just been dragged along on a year-long sales experiment?
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 11:44am

I try so hard not to care about this stuff, because it is simply ridiculous.... lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala This is exactly why I never got into reading super-hero stuff aside from Astro City. It's just improvised, pieced together marketing in the guise of a story about people in capes. Too bad I'm hooked on some of it now.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics