Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 11:57am

Thankfully I'm not that cynical about the medium. To me, the stories are the stories and the meta narrative means little to the actual product I've got in my hands. I'm enjoying the books they are putting out, regardless of the numbering, or the exact place they sit in continuity, and I feel the same way about pre-New 52 stories I've read and Marvel stories I've read. The New 52 initiative was clearly successful marketing that they're still reaping the benefits of, so good on them for trying something so bold. It ultimately helps keep monthly comics afloat longer and that's good for all comic fans.

Now given the revelations in JL6, sure they have an out now, but honestly everyone kind of already saw this coming when all the #1s were rolling out. Not only that but there's no indication that they are going to use the out any time soon, especially since they are still trouncing Marvel in sales. If there is any backlash over the revelation it will just be a lot of fanboy ranting, which truthfully is a much more disheartening aspect of comic book culture to me than the endless marketing surrounding books. Getting upset about marketing gimmicks that ultimately help a dying medium stay afloat is something pretty unique to comic book nerds.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 1:16pm

Haven't read The Shade 5 yet but just leafing through it I reeeeally like the look of it! The flat shading gives it an 80s comic feel. Definitely getting a Tales of the Black Freighter vibe from it.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 8:43pm

Welp that ending to the first arc of Justice League sure did kick a whole mess of ass.
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Feb 29th, 2012 @ 11:45pm

LiQuid wrote:Thankfully I'm not that cynical about the medium. To me, the stories are the stories and the meta narrative means little to the actual product I've got in my hands. I'm enjoying the books they are putting out, regardless of the numbering, or the exact place they sit in continuity, and I feel the same way about pre-New 52 stories I've read and Marvel stories I've read. The New 52 initiative was clearly successful marketing that they're still reaping the benefits of, so good on them for trying something so bold. It ultimately helps keep monthly comics afloat longer and that's good for all comic fans.

Now given the revelations in JL6, sure they have an out now, but honestly everyone kind of already saw this coming when all the #1s were rolling out. Not only that but there's no indication that they are going to use the out any time soon, especially since they are still trouncing Marvel in sales. If there is any backlash over the revelation it will just be a lot of fanboy ranting, which truthfully is a much more disheartening aspect of comic book culture to me than the endless marketing surrounding books. Getting upset about marketing gimmicks that ultimately help a dying medium stay afloat is something pretty unique to comic book nerds.

I'm not cynical about the medium. I'm cynical about the storytelling in DC and Marvel super hero comics books. And, yeah, I try not to care and I did not see it coming 1) this soon and 2) at all, I took DC at its word that this was a new reader friendly reboot that would establish a new universe. I know I should not care, but that's just my OCD parts getting all fired up because I am not getting the whole story etc. (serious issues, I know, I just decided I needed to read all of Gotham Central, all The Question relevant to Montoya, Infinite Crisis and 52 just to feel like I can actually read Batwoman) I know it's the nature of serialized stories to be profit oriented, but I don't care for those stories and never will. That's why I never read mainstream super hero stuff before and I feel like that's why DC will loose me (one of the coveted new readers) again.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby LiQuid » Mar 1st, 2012 @ 1:02am

Dude, I think you're jumping the gun here. They aren't going to be reverting to old continuity or anything. They just confirmed what we already knew, that Pandora was responsible for the New 52. They only barely implied that she might be able to reverse it, but as this is Comic Books we're talking about here they hardly needed that conceit anyways. They could just say fuck it and go back. Not that they even would do that since sales are still so good. Hell they haven't even rolled out their second wave of new books yet...

So what are you getting up in arms over?
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Mar 1st, 2012 @ 2:11am

Ah, don't get me wrong, I'm not getting up in arms over it. I just find it annoying that they even try to justify the New 52 thing in the stories. What I mean is not that they will revert, but it means that somehow, all that crap just got even more convoluted and I don't care for that. Everything is somehow still there or not or whatever, so they can churn out a company wide crossover that will get all the good old fans hugely excited. What I tried to convey was just that this (and the Earth-2 stuff, they really need to make it clear, on the covers, that this is an alternate universe) alienates new readers like me. As long as it stays out of the books I read, I don't care. I can enjoy those stories just for the ridiculousness, I have read some Crises stuff, but it's just not what I get the books for. The thing is: before really starting to read the super hero stuff (don't equate the medium with one genre, man, comic books per se aren't this ridiculous), I thought Batman, Superman etc. all lived in their own separate universes. That made sense to me and was the impression I got from watching some cartoons and movies. Now that is of course totally wrong and Batman can hang out with Superman (I bet the whole Avengers thing confuses a lot of regular movie goers over here) and that's cool, but the consequences from that don't make for good stories, imho. Again, not getting all worked up here, so far everything I read has been fine, but that's also because I chose carefully.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 1st, 2012 @ 5:37pm

People keep saying that Earth-2 will be confusing for new readers, but i really don't think so, i mean there are going to be two titles focusing on it, one if you count titles that actually take place there. I'm sure they will point it out on the covers, and if not, well, it's in the name. I think new readers can figure it out, hopefully.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Mar 1st, 2012 @ 5:45pm

If anything I feel like the Earth 2 books will make it less confusing for new readers if only because then the golden age characters won't have to exist within the same continuity as the current roster. Like in pre-New 52 I always thought it was SUPER fucking weird that Alan Scott still existed, and was a "Green Lantern" but not really a Green Lantern? I never really did much research in it, but it sounded confusion. This way they have a way to use all those "old" characters, in new, ongoing stories without having to deal with having them all mashed together with the existing brands. I find it quite clever actually.
LiQuid

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 1st, 2012 @ 5:49pm

I really liked the idea of having older superheroes mentoring a new generation of legacy characters and fighting old supervillains but it can be pretty confusing. I'm really looking forward to Earth-2.
SerpentineZERO

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 4th, 2012 @ 11:12pm

Read all of Animal Man finally. Such an awesome book, even #6 which was a solid interlude, and the guy who did the art for the movie is really good. I guess this means i have to catch up on Swamp Thing too.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 12:21pm

Jay Garrick

Spoiler: show
:lol:
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 12:30pm

Rats...why did it have to be rats?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 4:58pm

I liked his old helmet better. I read an interview with James Robinson and apparently the 5 year jumping on point applies to Earth 2 as well. That's too bad, I really was hoping that they'd be old. I don't think i like how grimdark DC is trying to be, what with Batman who kills and Wonder Woman as the last amazon.

Speaking of grimdark, Shazam is going dark and gritty. This is also too bad, i like the fun Captain Marvel on YJ. It's like fun isn't allowed in the New 52 or something.
SerpentineZERO

Postby juventuz » Mar 5th, 2012 @ 7:55pm

Greetings, I'm the newbie here but I thought that I'd share a few thoughts on the new lineup. I was a big bat-fan before the reboot and for the most part I'm a little disappointed with the reboot. Sure, Snyder and Capullo are killing it on Batman but I'm not really feeling The Dark Knight or Detective Comics. Batman and Robin is doing well, but I can't help to think that it was better before the reboot. I actually enjoyed the old Gotham City Central as well as Gotham City Streets. I think it's because I also miss some of the old artists like Jock and Dustin Nguyen. Staying in Gotham I don't like Catwoman nearly as much as I enjoyed Gotham City Sirens.

As for the Flash, I'm enjoying it immensely. Francis Manapul is doing an excellent job and am really enjoying his artwork. The GL titles haven't missed a beat and still keep me engaged, which is a good thing I suppose. I think my biggest disappointments so far are Action Comics and Superman, while I actually like Supes new look I'm not liking what they've been doing with him. Then again prior to the reboot Superman was waning a bit for me as well. Perhaps by biggest disappointments were the cancellation of Zatanna (I actually liked that one a lot) and Power Girl. I might have been one of the few that actually read Power Girl, but I enjoyed it a lot. From what I've seen of the new Power Girl I'm hating it and refuse to try it out.

Enough ranting, but I will end it on this note... bring back the Elseworlds books. I really loved reading those back when they were popular. I think they could do some great things with them.
juventuz

Postby Killinginist » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 4:12pm

Welcome Juventuz! I actually like almost everything from the reboot, but agree with you that I miss the ongoing Zatanna and PG series. I don't like what they have done with PG at all since the reboot and they need to rectify the situation, perhaps by putting Palmiotti, Gray and Conner back on it? :p I don't know if I am going to try the new stuff out? Really? George Perez? Shouldn't that guy go back to the 80's? Anyways, welcome to the forums.
Killinginist

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 4:15pm

Aside from Frankenstein (which Jeff Lemire now swears is going to stay amazing after he leaves it), I only get my fun comics from Marvel. DC is way way too srs bzns.
LiQuid

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 5:19pm

LiQuid wrote:DC is way way too srs bzns.

Seriously.
SerpentineZERO

Postby juventuz » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 7:19pm

Killinginist wrote:Welcome Juventuz! I actually like almost everything from the reboot, but agree with you that I miss the ongoing Zatanna and PG series. I don't like what they have done with PG at all since the reboot and they need to rectify the situation, perhaps by putting Palmiotti, Gray and Conner back on it? :p I don't know if I am going to try the new stuff out? Really? George Perez? Shouldn't that guy go back to the 80's? Anyways, welcome to the forums.

From what I've seen of Earth 2 I will be staying away. I heard on a podcast, maybe the Comic Conspiracy, that they liked the new costumes. I really don't like them, especially Batmans.

Also Perez's version of the new Power Girl looks horrible.
juventuz

Postby kenzo » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 7:38pm

I like the new Power Girl. I love the character, but hate that she's a titty-monster. This new version is a little more toned down and easy to roll with.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 7:42pm

She's cool but I hate the Farrah Fawcett haircut.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 6th, 2012 @ 7:53pm

I WANT TO TOUCH THAT HAIR
kenzo

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 1:03am

I think I prefer the blue over the gold, and I don't like her hair. But at least the boob window is gone.

I kinda like some of the other costumes though, like Superman's.
SerpentineZERO

Postby kenzo » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 1:14am

So awesome:

Edit: image hopefully fixed.
Last edited by kenzo on Mar 7th, 2012 @ 5:06am, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 7th, 2012 @ 4:13am

You succeed at posting lots of broken images lately.
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 10:58am

LiQuid wrote:You succeed at posting lots of broken images lately.

And the Geekbox Award for "Captain Obvious" goes to LiQuid.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby LiQuid » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 11:11am

I nearly literally popped a boner reading Swamp Thing. Holy fucking art!

Animal Man 7 was alright. The transition to Pugh was jarring and I don't know why they didn't just have him redraw the bookending 5 pages that Foreman did. It was weird seeing Ellen go from having no accessories to wearing a headband and hipster glasses from one page to the next. Pugh did the crazy flesh monster stuff alright too, but I hate the way he draws Maxine. She looks like a creepy Chucky doll when he draws her instead of the snerky, emotive kid that Foreman drew her as. In the end there's gives and takes but I think he'll be fine once he does his first full book. The first five issues of this are going to stand as one of the best runs of comics from this who new 52.

Oh and Shade 5 from last week was also AMAZING. I love how Robinson is building all these branching narratives off different periods in Shade's life and having them all being relevant to what's going on. The idea of a teenage girl, vampire, butt-kicker isn't wholly original, but the origin and how she's tied to The Shade now is pretty fun and interesting. Also holy damn this book looks good. Think I mentioned it before but I love the solid/unshaded coloring. Gives the book a very old-school adventure feel. Will be glad to see more of this arc with this artist.
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 11:55am

LiQuid wrote:I nearly literally popped a boner reading Swamp Thing. Holy fucking art!

LiQuid, LiQuided in his pants. Someone get him a towel.

"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Killinginist » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 12:56pm

I haven't read Swampy #7 yet, but I am really excited for it. After the end of the last issue and knowing Snyder, this one can be nothing but excellent. Getting back to PG, I don't dig the new haircut either. Blah. Don't totally mind the new costume, but I can't help myself, I will read anything with PG in it. Hence the reason I was reading Mister Terrific. :-( Hopefully this World's Finest book turns out to be good. I have some faith in Levitz.
Killinginist

Postby kenzo » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 3:13pm

Roadie Brock wrote:
LiQuid wrote:You succeed at posting lots of broken images lately.
And the Geekbox Award for "Captain Obvious" goes to LiQuid.
Honestly, it's not always obvious. A decent amount of images don't allow hotlinking, and it's not always evident because web browsers cache files and load the cache instead of attempting to download the file again.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 3:27pm

As a force of habit now I always rehost shit I Google Image Search for. There's a Chrome extension that adds a right click context menu option to rehost that has changed the way that I internet.
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics