Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Roadie Brock » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 3:31pm

kenzo wrote:
Roadie Brock wrote:
LiQuid wrote:You succeed at posting lots of broken images lately.
And the Geekbox Award for "Captain Obvious" goes to LiQuid.
Honestly, it's not always obvious. A decent amount of images don't allow hotlinking, and it's not always evident because web browsers cache files and load the cache instead of attempting to download the file again.


And the Geekbox Award for "killing a joke" goes to Kenzo.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
User avatar
Official Geekbox Roadie
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Nov 1st, 2009 @ 10:52pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 3:32pm

Can't kill a joke that dead on arrival. :|
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Roadie Brock » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 3:36pm

LiQuid wrote:Can't kill a joke that dead on arrival. :|


LiQuid wins another Geekbox Award for "lame wannabe burns".
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
User avatar
Official Geekbox Roadie
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Nov 1st, 2009 @ 10:52pm
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 3:56pm

LiQuid wrote:Can't kill a joke that dead on arrival. :|
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 4:45pm

Wasn't even trying to burn. I think Brock's trying to keep the Let's Troll LiQuid flame alive. Commendable.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 10:09pm

I read the first issue of I, Vampire and was definitely not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. At this rate, I should just drop everything and just read the Dark titles, because i'm sure all of them barring Animal Man and Swamp Thing are doing shitty sales-wise.
SerpentineZERO
User avatar
 
Posts: 578
Joined: May 21st, 2011 @ 6:02pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Mar 8th, 2012 @ 11:24pm

SerpentineZERO wrote:I should just drop everything and just read the Dark titles

Exactly this.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 9th, 2012 @ 9:53am

LiQuid wrote:
SerpentineZERO wrote:I should just drop everything and just read the Dark titles

Exactly this.

I read the first few issues of Justice League Dark and was very disappointed. Wish it could live up to the first arc in DCP with Deadman.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976
User avatar
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Mar 26th, 2009 @ 6:14pm
Location: Queens, New York

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 9th, 2012 @ 5:12pm

Looks like Reeder is off Batwoman with #9, Trevor McCarthy is replacing her, and Tony Daniel is only writing Tec #10-12 with Ed Benes on art. Which is weird since Daniel is a way better artist than writer (because he really isn't a great writer).
SerpentineZERO
User avatar
 
Posts: 578
Joined: May 21st, 2011 @ 6:02pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2012 @ 5:15pm

I wish we got more explanation than "creative differences" when it came to abrupt artist shifts like that.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 9th, 2012 @ 5:41pm

Well Daniel is coming back to art duties after #12, but i don't know about Reeder. McCarthy is a pretty good artist and i'm interested to see his work on Batwoman.
SerpentineZERO
User avatar
 
Posts: 578
Joined: May 21st, 2011 @ 6:02pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2012 @ 9:14pm

AHahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHHAHAHAhahahahahahahahAHAHAHAhAHA

Image
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 9th, 2012 @ 10:51pm

Whatisthisidon'teven
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2012 @ 11:04pm

Fucking everybody in DC is sporting akimbo pistols now. This is too fucking hysterical for words. I can't wait til Batman starts dual wielding gats. Then I might start picking it up.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 10th, 2012 @ 8:00am

wat
SerpentineZERO
User avatar
 
Posts: 578
Joined: May 21st, 2011 @ 6:02pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 16th, 2012 @ 11:06pm

So i finally picked up comics after a few weeks. First, Suicide Squad #7 was awesome.
Spoiler: show
Looks like Waller wasn't fucking around with those head bombs. Lime and Light is now just Light, and Harley Quinn is dead but we all know that that isn't even a little bit true.


Batgirl #7 was... eh. The art is just way inconsistent and the villains haven't been that great. The new one in this ish is an improvement over the terrible last one (Gretel) so that's good at least.

Batwoman #7 was weak as hell. The art wasn't that bad, but something was really off. Might've been the inking. I'm not liking how break up the story either, it's just jarring. At this point, i'm awaiting Travis McCarthy's issues.

Demon Knights #7 was fucking awesome. Not dropping. Animal Man #7 was sweet too, Steve Pugh's art is pretty great but it's still too bad Travel Foreman's off it.

Justice League #6 wasn't as great as it should've been. The dialog was just plain not good at times, and Lee's art for the first 3/4th's of it was muddy and not as good as it was in previous issues. Darkseid didn't really do much, he just blasted a couple of people and shouted a few times. Though, the backup was cool and I really like D'anda's art.
SerpentineZERO
User avatar
 
Posts: 578
Joined: May 21st, 2011 @ 6:02pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 17th, 2012 @ 12:02am

Superboy #7 was boss. I love going between Superboy and Teen Titans every two weeks - it's a lot easier to follow the story and not forget what's happened lately.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Mar 19th, 2012 @ 2:21pm

I have liked this whole new origin story for Harley. Kind of interesting. Went to a Jim Lee Wondercon Panel this weekend and someone asked him about failing and if they were leaving themselves an out to go back to old continuity with Pandora, etc. He said it just drives him to work harder when someone doubts something he does, ala the new 52 and hardcore fans not loving it. Doesn't sound like they plan on going back to old continuity any time soon.
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 1:55am

Batman & Robin #7 was some of the most intense shit I've read in a while, and that last page/quote is just priceless LULZ. I don't think it's humanly possible for anyone to write a more retarded, mood-deflating line.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 8:14am

I agree with this assessment Kenzo. I really enjoyed Batman and Robin #7, but the last line was pretty cheesy. It kind of felt out of place. My only problem with this series has been Damian. I don't really like him or the bickering between him and Batman. It all seems a little to childish to me, for a crime fighting team anyways. That last line fit right in with the few things that irk me about the series. Overall though, it's really good.
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 10:56am

Killinginist wrote:I agree with this assessment Kenzo. I really enjoyed Batman and Robin #7, but the last line was pretty cheesy. It kind of felt out of place. My only problem with this series has been Damian. I don't really like him or the bickering between him and Batman. It all seems a little to childish to me, for a crime fighting team anyways. That last line fit right in with the few things that irk me about the series. Overall though, it's really good.
But see, to me that's totally appropriate and hilarious. Lest we forget, Damien is only ten years old. What the hell were you doing at that age? I was making dioramas for school and playing video games. All this srsly business of being a modern Batman thrust upon a ten year old sidekick is a whacky juxtaposition to begin with, so I think it's totes appropriate for this kind of whack shit to happen in order to remind the reader once and a while "oh yeah, this is a stupid setup to begin with."
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Dr Otacon » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 12:13pm

So I just finished reading The Flash #1 and I guess I should have seen this coming but
Spoiler: show
Barry and Iris aren't married anymore
? I didn't care so much when this happened to
Spoiler: show
Superman and Lois Lane
but then again Supes has never been my favorite superhero...but The Flash? I know they want to try and make the heroes "younger" and resonate with a younger audience, and I'm 23 I'm probably still in that demographic to them, but I liked it better when
Spoiler: show
Barry had a wife
because it provides more of a sense of jeopardy should his secret be found out, or like what happened in Rebirth.
“The one thing you must never let yourself forget: The story is always on the street.”
Spider Jerusalem
Dr Otacon
User avatar
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 19th, 2012 @ 12:23am
Location: Texas

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 1:46pm

kenzo wrote:
Killinginist wrote:I agree with this assessment Kenzo. I really enjoyed Batman and Robin #7, but the last line was pretty cheesy. It kind of felt out of place. My only problem with this series has been Damian. I don't really like him or the bickering between him and Batman. It all seems a little to childish to me, for a crime fighting team anyways. That last line fit right in with the few things that irk me about the series. Overall though, it's really good.
But see, to me that's totally appropriate and hilarious. Lest we forget, Damien is only ten years old. What the hell were you doing at that age? I was making dioramas for school and playing video games. All this srsly business of being a modern Batman thrust upon a ten year old sidekick is a whacky juxtaposition to begin with, so I think it's totes appropriate for this kind of whack shit to happen in order to remind the reader once and a while "oh yeah, this is a stupid setup to begin with."


Yeah, maybe I don't like reading about whiney children in general or something. Some of the issues Damien has just driven me nuts. And I agree the comic is kind of whack in having a 10 year old that can do all this. I almost dropped the series after issue 4 but it has really picked up. I actually really miss the older Robins. I am surprised they decided to start with Damien as Robin. The last issue was boss, until the very end. It still was a little shocking because I wasn't expecting that outcome.
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 3:43pm

I love it. It's so self-aware. Since Bat-history was basically left untouched in the N52, Batman & Robin was basically saddled with all this retarded Bat-history and told to sort it out, and now it is. Damien is damaged goods, so that the story is just kind of running with it and seeing how retarded/lulzy such a premise inherently is, is great to me. I can respect that people are like "WTF?" but I love this stuff. Batman & Robin is traditionally a family-affair: Batman showing a softer side, tutoring a little kid. But with how hardcore and gritty Batman has become over the years, combined with the mostly adult-readership of modern DC comics, these two diametrically opposite ideas (family-friendly vs RAPE-YOUR-FACE-GRIT) clash and it's fun to see that happening in a self-aware manner in my comics.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 4:38pm

kenzo wrote:I love it. It's so self-aware. Since Bat-history was basically left untouched in the N52, Batman & Robin was basically saddled with all this retarded Bat-history and told to sort it out, and now it is. Damien is damaged goods, so that the story is just kind of running with it and seeing how retarded/lulzy such a premise inherently is, is great to me. I can respect that people are like "WTF?" but I love this stuff. Batman & Robin is traditionally a family-affair: Batman showing a softer side, tutoring a little kid. But with how hardcore and gritty Batman has become over the years, combined with the mostly adult-readership of modern DC comics, these two diametrically opposite ideas (family-friendly vs RAPE-YOUR-FACE-GRIT) clash and it's fun to see that happening in a self-aware manner in my comics.


I do like it now quite a bit. And it is kind of cool that Damien is damaged goods, and I suppose some children do treat their parents like he was earlier, I was just always tought to be respectful, so it kind of seemed little outlandish. I do however enjoy getting to see a little more of the family. Damien, Alfred, perhaps a love interest if one ever builds. I would like to see Batman get married in this new 52. I have never seen that. It would definitely be a story I would be interested in reading and I don't know if it would be any good, but I would like to see how it is handled. Some people might think Batman being married is dumb. He's never been able to hold a relationship together, but I would be interested to see it explored.
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 5:14pm

Batman is doomed to be:
Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby Killinginist » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 5:22pm

Kenzo, I agree that he is, but I really think they should explore at some point a Batman relationship. In fact, I would take it so far as to say I would like to see a Batman, Wonder Woman romance/love story. Why, because I feel like it has been a while since WW has had a relationship and Batman needs someone steady. It would be totally crazy and most would not like it. In fact, I might not like it, but imagine the press it would get. It could be interesting. Obviously I am just story boarding throwing ideas out here, but I would be interested in it.
Killinginist
User avatar
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mar 7th, 2010 @ 6:56pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 20th, 2012 @ 5:56pm

Killinginist wrote:Kenzo, I agree that he is, but I really think they should explore at some point a Batman relationship. In fact, I would take it so far as to say I would like to see a Batman, Wonder Woman romance/love story. Why, because I feel like it has been a while since WW has had a relationship and Batman needs someone steady. It would be totally crazy and most would not like it. In fact, I might not like it, but imagine the press it would get. It could be interesting. Obviously I am just story boarding throwing ideas out here, but I would be interested in it.

Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby SerpentineZERO » Mar 22nd, 2012 @ 7:10pm

Batman #7 was really good, and Nightwing #7 was pretty good. I read Batman first so a few of the stuff in Nightwing towards the end was pretty much just a retread. Though i'm glad the Haly's Circus arc is done, it was padded out by like two issues, but it was a pretty good conclusion.

EDIT: Justice League #7 had some sweet art all around, with both Gene Ha and Gary Frank. It was good, though some of the dialog is kinda mediocre (especially when the public is praising the Justice League). Though, it hardly felt like it was set in the present because they interact similarly as they did in the first arc, and Green Lantern is still douchey (but I'm somewhat ok with that). The Shazam backup was interesting, but I don't like the new Billy Batson; he's a total asshole now.
SerpentineZERO
User avatar
 
Posts: 578
Joined: May 21st, 2011 @ 6:02pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: DC reboots entire line

Postby kenzo » Mar 24th, 2012 @ 5:37am

So, I don't think anyone around here reads it, but last week's JLI was totes insane. I was flipping out reading it, I'm really curious where they're gonna go with it now. I know they'll probably find a way to reverse the most recent events but still - shit be heavy, yo.

Red Hood & Nightwing #7 were both kinda dumb. But oh well.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Options

Return to Comics