Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Whatcha been readin?

Postby LiQuid » Sep 11th, 2011 @ 8:58pm

Generic thread to talk about comics you're reading that don't need their own thread since we have a similar thread for every other media. I don't expect this will be as active as my "watchin" thread but whatevs.

I'm making my way through Morrison's Animal Man, as I said in the DC thread. I'm half way through the second book and generally I really love it but for a couple of key issues.

1. I have literally no knowledge of the big events happening in DC around this time. They keep referencing a Crisis of some kind and I think an Invasion too. But as far as I know DC has has a new Crisis or Invasion more or less annually for the last 50 years.

2. All of Grant Morrison's preachy animal rights bullshit is really starting to wear on me. It started out super hilarious that he would be so bold as to use his first major comic assignment to preach. It was fine when it was just a couple scenes out of a chapter, but now it is the driving force behind entire storylines.
LiQuid

Re: Whatcha been readin?

Postby SerpentineZERO » Sep 11th, 2011 @ 11:22pm

I'm new to Daredevil, but i've been liking Mark Waid's run so far. I also just recently finished the Arkham City miniseries, which was pretty solid, but i don't think it made me more excited for the game than i already am, partly because i still haven't played AA.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Sep 15th, 2011 @ 2:25am

Just finally got around to finishing Animal Man. All hyperbole aside, that was hands down the best comic book I've ever read. The best part about the ending is that it explicitly addressed both of the complaints I listed earlier! I don't want to go into any amount of spoilers, but I'll just say that for all the misaligned tastes and opinions I hold in practically every medium I consume, I truly, avidly believe that every single person that reads Animal Man should love it.
LiQuid

Postby mcbrid55 » Sep 15th, 2011 @ 10:58am

Finished animal man the other day while waiting for class and the ending was a little f*cked up to me! But the comic was pretty awesome and I added it to my subscription list. Looking forward to the next one
Jack of all trades; Master of none
http://www.facebook.com/ryanmcb123
Hookah/Shisha Consultant
mcbrid55

Postby SerpentineZERO » Sep 19th, 2011 @ 6:28pm

I recently read the first trade of the New Avengers (2010). It was pretty good, except anything involving magic and stuff was totally boring, and that's pretty much the main plot of this arc. The team is cool though, and the dialogue is pretty good too, so i'll probably be getting the second one.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Sep 19th, 2011 @ 6:47pm

Thinking about picking up some Sandman this week and finally checking it out. Nerds seem to really, really love it but I hate Neil Gaiman and it sounds SO BORING. Deliberation ensuing.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 2:00am

I just finished Avengers: Dissassembled. It was okay, main arc was good, but some of the crossovers were crap. Going to continue from there with what I can find instead of jumping to the next event. I started reading what I could find of what leads up to Crisis on Infinite Earths and it's hilarious, Flash is my favorite book after two issues because of his insane Rogues Gallery and Big Sir. I'm also reading Astonishing X-Men Vol. 3, after the first issue I know I've read it before, though I can't remember when so it's kind of boring. By issue #5 I'll be more interested, I think that's when I stopped before.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 6:56am

Yay! Bear came back!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby DarthChris4 » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 9:01am

I'm reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. I really liked the first issue of the overall book.

I'm taking things slow with this one because it's one of the last trades I have at home that I haven't read and I don't want to rush out and buy more trades right now.
DarthChris4

Postby IRL_Troll » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 10:01am

I've read the 1st 2 volumes of Preacher. I'm going back for more pretty soon
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby LiQuid » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 11:06am

I tried reading Preacher and it make me want to strangle Garth Ennis. How can people like that idiot and not Mark Millar?
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 11:28am

LiQuid wrote:I tried reading Preacher and it make me want to strangle Garth Ennis. How can people like that idiot and not Mark Millar?

Cause Garth Ennis is one of the best writers in the comic industry and Mark Millar is a dickhead Hollywood-wannabe?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 11:31am

Sometimes comics need to be a little more like Hollywood.
LiQuid

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Sep 21st, 2011 @ 3:21pm

jinpei05 wrote:Yay! Bear came back!

Typing to you from a Playstation 3!

I'm reading Emma Frost, I don't care much for the character but I figured "What the hell?" The first arc was pretty good and the art was great. The second arc is boring and the art isn't great, altogether meh. Hopefully by the time they get to the Hellfire Club it's more interesting.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby LiQuid » Sep 25th, 2011 @ 1:04am

Reread (mostly just skimmed) Green Lantern Rebirth today and read the first trade. What an amazing, faced paced, nonstop fun read that was. I'm gonna go full bore into the last half decade worth of GL and GL Corp as soon as I can. I'm super excited after having watched the movie, the animated movies, and read the first couple New 52 issues.

Reading those trades made me realize how shitty it's going to be waiting a month for new issues of the New 52 stuff. I don't know how comic fans do it. I have a hard enough time waiting a week for new episodes of my favorite TV shows, and those usually last two or three times as long as it takes to barrel through a single issue of a comic.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 25th, 2011 @ 2:15pm

LiQuid wrote:Reread (mostly just skimmed) Green Lantern Rebirth today and read the first trade. What an amazing, faced paced, nonstop fun read that was. I'm gonna go full bore into the last half decade worth of GL and GL Corp as soon as I can. I'm super excited after having watched the movie, the animated movies, and read the first couple New 52 issues.

The great thing about Rebirth is that it managed to fully redeem Hal Jordan to hero status and explain the yellow impurity weakness with minimal bullshit. Unfortunately, Johns should've quit when he was ahead instead of writing Flash: Rebirth.

LiQuid wrote:Reading those trades made me realize how shitty it's going to be waiting a month for new issues of the New 52 stuff. I don't know how comic fans do it. I have a hard enough time waiting a week for new episodes of my favorite TV shows, and those usually last two or three times as long as it takes to barrel through a single issue of a comic.

Oh, it's worse than you think. Comics are notorious for missing ship dates for any number of dumb reasons. At least with weekly television shows, you're guaranteed a new episode every week unless there's a breaking news story of high importance or a power outage and even then you'll get a make-up episode sooner than a late comic.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 10:42pm

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, Green Lantern comics are so god damned good!! GL Corps especially. Hal's great and all but I love all the god damned martian shit, and Guy is pretty much the best ever. This is like my new favorite shit ever. I'm so excited that I have a half a decade worth of both of these books to read! :o
LiQuid

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 11:10pm

I've been reading Spider-Island and X-Men: Schism, hoping to write something about event comics for my blog, but they're both actually pretty good. Though the tie-ins for both have been shit, except for the Deadly Foes one-shot and the Cloak and Dagger mini. And Venom, but Rick Remender has been a boss.

Also Teen Titans #1 wasn't awful, so that's good.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby wtfpeople » Oct 2nd, 2011 @ 6:41pm

LiQuid wrote:Thinking about picking up some Sandman this week and finally checking it out. Nerds seem to really, really love it but I hate Neil Gaiman and it sounds SO BORING. Deliberation ensuing.

A Game of You story arc was enjoyable. If the series ended there I would ave been fine with it. I could not get through World's End, I don't know why, but I stopped with the series at that point. Might finish it off in the future.
wtfpeople

Postby SerpentineZERO » Oct 2nd, 2011 @ 7:01pm

Just got around to reading Justice League #1 the other day. It's alright.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Oct 2nd, 2011 @ 7:13pm

Found the most hilarious/shitty comic ever. A new, creator owned comic by Ron Marz (whose name I know from all the Green Lantern I've been reading) called Shinku. It's about an female, Asian, motorcycle-riding, street samurai that hunts and murders vampires in modern day Tokyo. It's full of tits and blood and is just in general all around amazing.

Oh, and in other WBR news: I've been reading a FUCKING METRIC ASS LOAD of Green Lantern. Up to Sinestro Corps War in both GL and GLC. Reading Marz's Ion: Guardian of the Universe now cause I wanted to see what the fuck was up with Kyle Rayner.

Can any GL fans fill me in on something: Ok, so I know all about Emerald Twilight, and Kyle taking over for Hal, and being the last lantern and everything (which I now know is what they were retelling at the beginning of New Guardians #1). Now I'm just wonder what the circumstance was behind the Guardians and the Corps rebuilding and coming back to life under Rayner. I'm assuming that all happens somewhere between Emerald Twilight and Rayner getting the Ion powers, but how exactly did it all happen? How did the Guardians and Kilowog and the rest of the lanterns come back? Basically just need a summary of all the major shit that happened in Rayner's run of Volume 3.

I think I need to read Rebirth again. I know so, so, so much more about Green Lantern now than I did when I first sat down and read that.
LiQuid

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Oct 2nd, 2011 @ 7:33pm

That was during Judd Winnick's run on Green Lantern, I think it's in the Power of Ion trade. Basically Rayner receives all the GL power in the universe, and after Superman talks him out of playing God for a while, he uses all the power to restore John Stewart's legs, give Jade back her powers, relit the Central Battery and resurrected the Guardians as little babies that Ganthet was going to raise. He also found his apparently mexican father. Dunno about Kilowog.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby LiQuid » Oct 2nd, 2011 @ 7:41pm

Thanks! After (not "if') I catch up with all Geoff Johns' run, I'm gonna go back and read some of the older stuff.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 5:24pm

Hot off the heels of their new TMNT series, I decided to check out the first issue of IDW's new Ghostbusters series. It was actually kind of good. So so much fanservice, including an appearance from Stay Puft, one of the Blues Brothers, and Slimer. Seems like another capable revival of Shit We Liked As Kids.

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 9:49pm

Finished reading Ion: Guardian of the Universe so I can finally continue on with my Sinestro Corp Wars trades.

Ion was a weird little mini series. They presented a bunch of questions but didn't really answer any of them. Then they're just like To be continued in the Sinestro Corps Special. So I guess I gotta dig around for more comic scans to figure out what all happened.

It was definitely worth reading though, if nothing else than to see Kilowog in a tux and Some little, punk kid double-fist groping one of Kyle's constructs. :lol:

So in other words, still really, really, really loving every single Green Lantern story I can get my mitts on. I remember listening to the Comic Conspiracy podcast and hearing Brock talk about how when he got back into comics he was insatiable and just had to keep finding more and more stuff to read. I'm kind of going through that right now. I've been binge reading comics for the last month.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 10th, 2011 @ 7:18pm

Finally got around to finishing Echo, which is a series I bought the first 2 trades of back when this forum first went up in 2009 on the recommendation of a poster that probably has long since abandoned this place. Aside from Terry Moore being a totally pervy writer that only knows how to write about lesbian and/or bi-curious females, it was a pretty good series. The ending left a bit to be desired and felt a little rushed, but it was always more about the journey of the characters and not the final confrontation. Aside from the borderline lesbo shit, the moment to moment character interaction was really great.

Now I'm making my way through the existing Skullkickers (two arcs are done as of this month) after seeing a review for it up on ComicVine the other day. This series is so damn good. It's a fantasy/comedy/action comic. It's drawn by a yellow man and kinda reminds me of manga from an art standpoint, and specifically Full Metal Alchemist in that there's a little, loud guy and a tall, quiet guy. Thought these two are off on adventures and stuff trying to make money and not whatever hackneyed Japanese bullshit Ed and Elric were doing in FMA (made it like 5 episodes from the end of that garbage and got sick of it, still never finished it). Simple premise, good art and action and some legit funny bits. I give it a thumbs up. I'm gonna keep reading this.

Thinking about finally picking up Morning Glories. It sounds so, so, so damn good, and like something that's going to be right up my alley, but I'm worried about getting invested in another series with a strong, ongoing, narrative continuity that isn't going to end for years. I got into books like Echo, and Y The Last Man, et al, in the middle of their continuity when they had defined and planned endings and it sucked really bad having to wait for them to wrap up.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 11th, 2011 @ 1:21am

Ok, that first story arc of Skullkickers was good. The second was fucking magic. And hilarious. Highly recommended. Two thumbs up. A+++++ Would read again.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 26th, 2011 @ 8:50pm

Anybody pick up Azzarello's Spaceman? I was gonna pick it up since it was only a buck. Turns out it's hella stupid. Genetically altered monkey man faux-leet speak talking like Jar Jar Binks... Just fucking nonsense. Anybody like this unironically?
LiQuid

Postby DarthChris4 » Oct 27th, 2011 @ 8:16am

I started reading the single issues that make up the No Man's Land year-long story arc. I've picked up the first two issues of the Cataclysm storyline, but I'm waiting to pick up more of the others. Higgins is having a sale this weekend so I'm hoping to find a ton of issues for cheap. I decided that for this story I wanted to collect all the single issues rather than buying the trades for 2 reasons: 1. The NML trades apparently leave out some of the issues that are part of the story, as an anal completionist, that annoys me, 2. While trades are a great way to catch up on a huge chunk of stories, I like being able to see all the art on the pages, and trying to see into the spine of a trade can sometimes make the panels look weird. There were many panels in Blackest Night where I couldn't make out details because of the spine of the book. Semi off topic tangent.

However, I saw in the latest issue of Comic Shop News that there's going to be a new trade of NML that includes many of the single issues that were left out of the original trade books. So while I would rather be reading from the single issues, I need to figure out if it would just be more economic to buy the new trades since they will most likely be cheaper in the long run.

But yeah, reading the NML comics right now. I've already read the novel, which I enjoyed.
DarthChris4

Postby LiQuid » Oct 27th, 2011 @ 11:37am

I remember reading the novelization of NML back in the day. I got a free, softcover, prerelease, preview copy of it from some event (probably Gen Con?) that didn't have the last couple chapters in it, so me and my friend both read through it and then the day it actually released, we went to Barnes and Noble and sat and finished it. I couldn't tell you a thing about it, however. At the time I didn't even know it was based on the comic storyline.

I read the new big #1's from Marvel yesterday. Wolvie's X-men and Incredible Hulk. Not very familiar with the storylines leading in to either book but they were both actually really quality reads. Jason Aaron seems to be a legitimate talent over there. I generally don't care too much about Wolverine, but he seems like much more of a stressed out, father figure type now and the whole situation of him and Kitty trying to get their school up and running is a much more interesting setup than some of the bananas, time and space spanning shit that Marvel has been going with lately. I could really, REALLY do without Chris Bachalo's art though. He seems to be a major, popular contributor on the X-men and I just don't like him. He's like a busier, sloppier Joe Mad.

Hulk was a gorgeous book. Silvestri's art was pretty stellar. Hulk fought a giant enemy crab, Bruce Banner has gone Dr. Moreau and next month Hulk is going to be fighting mega sharks. There is very little to complain about here. I've barely read a single comic book with Hulk in it since he was one of my favorite characters in grade school. I couldn't have asked for much more than this.
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics