Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: Whatcha been readin?

Postby LiQuid » Mar 25th, 2015 @ 6:36pm

Wonder Woman and Aquaman dude. Those were probably my 2 favorite books from the start of the new 52. Both are highly regarded. Also Azarrello's run on WW is apparently going to be the basis of the character in the new DC movies so you can go all hipster on your bitch ass friends and tell em why Diana is the daughter of Zeus instead of molded out of clay or whatever her dumb origin used to be.

By the way, whatever you just suggested is way too damn much money to spend on comic books. Don't do it. If you're new to comic books there's practically an infinite amount of rad shit out there for you to read. Don't drop hundreds of (even australian) dollars on keeping up with the big 2 publisher's event du jours. Read trades. Trades are the best.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Mar 25th, 2015 @ 6:38pm

Don't read god damned Action Comics. The dude just started reading comics. You think he's going to understand any of the shit in that book? It's almost (but not quite) worth it to read it for the Super Obama issue, but c'mon. Morrison isn't newbie friendly.
LiQuid

Postby Shayman » Mar 25th, 2015 @ 7:33pm

I appreciate all the thoughts. I think you're right LiqUid, probably too much to spend, just getting caught up in the excitement of comics.

Loving the Flash series too. Swamp Thing is on my to buy list (heard the story telling is excellent), as is Aquaman and Lantern. I'll check out Multiversity and Wonder Woman. Has Deathstroke been discontinued? I can't find info on a Volume 3 - or am I up to date?

The plan: Keep buying the collected volumes of what I'm reading and wait for the Convergence trades later on. Thanks for the suggestions.
Shayman

Postby LiQuid » Mar 25th, 2015 @ 7:58pm

Deathstroke got cancelled real early in the run.
LiQuid

Postby Shayman » Mar 25th, 2015 @ 8:00pm

LiQuid wrote:Deathstroke got cancelled real early in the run.

Damn, that makes me sad. Was really enjoying it.
Shayman

Postby CrossXhunteR » Mar 26th, 2015 @ 3:11am

It came back and I believe is currently going.
CrossXhunteR

Postby Shayman » Mar 26th, 2015 @ 3:59am

CrossXhunteR wrote:It came back and I believe is currently going.

Is it a new series? I can't find any info.
Shayman

Postby CrossXhunteR » Mar 26th, 2015 @ 4:59am

CrossXhunteR

Postby Shayman » Mar 26th, 2015 @ 5:02am

Whaat?! This is awesome, thanks for the link!
Shayman

Postby kenzo » Apr 1st, 2015 @ 12:58pm

Holy shit. Earth 2: World's End and Future's End both end in hot fucking garbage. No conclusion, just bullshit. Fuck both these books. If the new Batman Beyond book ends up being the continued adventures of Future's End I think I'm going to lose it. DON'T DO IT DC. YOU'VE FUCKED ME LONG ENOUGH. Oh yeah, and Convergence is bullshit too.

Batman: Eternal on the other hand, managed to be the only book not a total waste of time and actually had a decent conclusion.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Apr 13th, 2015 @ 10:01am

New52, pls go

Spoiler: show
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 14th, 2015 @ 5:03am

I had planned on getting the Spider-Verse hardcovers and reading through that story, but apparently Marvel just had to go and be stupid. They collected the issues of the crossover not in chronological order, but grouping it by title.
CrossXhunteR

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 18th, 2015 @ 12:55pm

Superboy-Prime during his glory days, fought 4 Kryptonians, a Green Martian, the entire Justice League, the entire Justice Society of America, the entire Teen Titans and their rejects, the entire Green Lantern Corps, the entire Sinestro Corps, multiple Speed Force users, an Ion empowered Daxamite Green Lantern, a weakened Anti-Monitor and was winning. He would had solo Superman and should had solo the Teen Titans. But you know prior to Flashpoint happening, storytelling went downhill.

Read the above quote from a discussion about Superboy-Prime losing to the teen titans in the final arc/issue before Flashpoint. Thought it was pretty good.
CrossXhunteR

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 19th, 2015 @ 9:08am

Read the new JLA and did not like it. The art did nothing for me, the story seemed uninteresting and the page count meant the uninteresting story just kept going and going. 56 pages might be a bit too much for a comic. Also, I understand the whole "no strict continuity" thing, but that type of stuff does actually bother me. Why bother having this universe of characters and stories if none of them actually matter to each other.

Read Superman/Wonder Woman. I liked this issue, and continue to be surprised about how much I like the new direction of Superman. I like anytime they actually acknowledge that Superman was a guy that grew up in Smallville and and actually had friends, in this case Lana Lang. For a while, it seemed like most of Superman's appearances in the New 52 treated him like an outsider to the world.

Read the new Runaways book. It was okay, but calling it Runaways is super fucked up. Also, I have no idea how something like that fits into Battleworld.

Read Thors. That book was actually really good. The whole murder mystery setup is good, and having a whole lot of different versions of character running around leads to some very cool character interactions. It was a little hard trying to figure out who all the different Thors were though. Most are recognizable, but there were a few who I had no idea about.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jun 19th, 2015 @ 9:58am

Fucking Marvel fucking with Runaways.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jun 28th, 2015 @ 6:57pm

Skye is a thing in the comics now.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2015 @ 7:23am

Robin Son of Batman is so fucking good. Gleason is so based. I can't believe they get to take over the core Batman book, it's gonna be so fucking rad.

Also loving Nobody 3.0.

kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 15th, 2015 @ 8:31am

Wait, who was Nobody 2.0?
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2015 @ 9:55am

Isn't 2.0 the dude Damian rekt, and 1.0 was his father, the guy Bruce trained under?
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 15th, 2015 @ 2:59pm

Maybe.
CrossXhunteR

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 26th, 2015 @ 10:57am

It has finally been revealed in the comics why Lois Lane told the world that Superman is Clark Kent. And it seems kind of dumb.
At least Romita Jr. will be off of that book soon so I can actually start reading it. The JL3001 artist is going to take over, which seems super weird. Romita is going to another DC book, which I hope isn't one that I read. Some people are speculating Batman.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Aug 26th, 2015 @ 1:16pm

RJR is a fantastic artist. As long as he's not drawing kids.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 26th, 2015 @ 2:06pm

LiQuid wrote:RJR is a fantastic artist. As long as he's not drawing human beings.

FTFY

CrossXhunteR wrote:It has finally been revealed in the comics why Lois Lane told the world that Superman is Clark Kent. And it seems kind of dumb.
last week she said she would keep his secret. However a villain currently knows and is basically blackmailing superman with his identity, so I'm guessing Lois just blows the story anyways because it was probably going to come out anyways and that they might as well control the narrative rather than let it write itself. Still, the pretext doesn't seem all that convincing. But I don't really care what story mechanism they create in order to tell new stories that are better because supes got nerfed.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 26th, 2015 @ 2:18pm

RJR's art is good. His people are stylized and if you don't like the style you don't like it, but that doesn't make him a poor artist. I personally don't like the style of guys like Quitely or Bachalo, but I acknowledge that both of those dudes are insanely good artists.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 27th, 2015 @ 2:05am

Frazer Irving is a good artist that makes terrible art.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Sep 6th, 2015 @ 3:00am

Checked out the first 2 issues of the new Archie from Waid and Staples and I really like it a lot. In the first issue I thought Waid was going out of his way to make Archie a little too cool compared to traditional Archie, but they course corrected that a lot in the 2nd issue. I really like Fiona's character art a lot, but I'm finding her backgrounds a little too sparse in this book. She does a LOT of world building with her sparse art in Saga, but I'm not really feeling this Riverdale yet. There just isn't enough detail packed into the panels. What's there is still quality tho. Not sure how the reception for this reboot has been, but as someone who only occasionally picked up Archie comics over the years and generally liked them telling modern stories with the more old fashioned characters, I think this was overdue. Not sure why they didn't drop Jughead's whoopee cap tho. I get that it's iconic, but it feels so out of place.
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Sep 7th, 2015 @ 5:57am

Caught up on a good number of them this weekend.
Aquaman is still pretty good, more so than most of the other new 52 titles this one has probably been the most consistently good in my eyes.
The star wars comics are pretty good, lando is great. For those who watch rebels kanaan is also a pretty good book to pick up.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby kenzo » Oct 1st, 2015 @ 12:52am

Justice League #44:

Spoiler: show
So, Darkseid just died. And how many times has this happened exactly?
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Oct 29th, 2015 @ 12:01am

Read this week's Batgirl b/c Dick was in it. Issue ends with Dick getting cucked. I'm generally OK with how the N52 has handled rebooting the world, but I don't like what's generally happened between Dick & Babs
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Oct 29th, 2015 @ 2:11am

I read it to for the same reasons. That book is way too saccharine for my tastes. Also, this is like the second "rebuilding" encounter between those two since Dick came back.
CrossXhunteR

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics