Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: Batman & Robin

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 13th, 2011 @ 12:04pm

Thank God, this arc has come to an end. Nothing was resolved, and the Absence is at large. :roll:

Can't wait for Tomasi and Gleason to start next month.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Jan 14th, 2011 @ 3:55am

I haven't picked my comics in a few weeks (I've still got next week to do so), this kinda saddening to hear. Any ideas what the next arc is?
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 14th, 2011 @ 10:12am

Here's the info according to DC's website:

From the pages of the best-selling BRIGHTEST DAY and GREEN LANTERN CORPS comes the new regular creative team of writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Patrick Gleason! Kicking off the action is "Dark Knight, White Knight" part 1 of 3, as Bruce Wayne returns from the dead and Gotham City finds itself locked in the grip of chaos! Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne come face-to-face with what could possibly be the strangest Bat Villain yet. Who is the White Knight, and why is he hell-bent on making Gotham City into Heaven on Earth?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Jan 14th, 2011 @ 10:28am

Interesting at the very least. I wonder if that's kinda a slap in the face of Mark MillAR's Nemesis book that he tossed around or claimed he's writing
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 14th, 2011 @ 10:32am

Anything's going to be an improvement over this last filler arc...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 10th, 2011 @ 12:58pm

Finally! After weeks of delay, issue #20 hits the stands.

Patrick Gleason's art is a marked improvement over Scott McDaniel, but the story is a bit slow to start. All we're given is an apparent suicide and a battle with the original Man-Bat.

This series doesn't quite have the punch it did when Morrison was on the book, but I'm on. For now.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Feb 10th, 2011 @ 6:36pm

I liked it. I kinda want to deviate briefly and talk about Red Robin. I'M LOVING IT!!! Oh, and Damien Wayne is currently in the Teen Titans now right? How've those issues been? I can't get enough of the little bastard
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby obtainium » Feb 17th, 2011 @ 10:37am

The bat books have been awesome post return of bruce wayne. It makes me wish they had held off on bringing him back, just a bit longer. These dick stories are awesome.
obtainium

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 17th, 2011 @ 11:40am

Tomasi and Gleason are only on for this three-issue arc. :|
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Feb 17th, 2011 @ 12:11pm

obtainium wrote:The bat books have been awesome post return of bruce wayne. It makes me wish they had held off on bringing him back, just a bit longer. These dick stories are awesome.

From what I understand, Dick is still the Batman in both Detective Comics and Batman. I haven't been keeping up on both books to know what's going on. Buying comics on a budget sucks, but it gives me time to paint the grass. So that way I can watch it grow and dry!
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby obtainium » Feb 17th, 2011 @ 1:03pm

Thats what I mean, all the best stuff is Grayson and Damien.

They should have let it breath a bit and bruce returning would have been richer for it.

Who's taking over from Tomasi? :x
obtainium

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 18th, 2011 @ 11:02am

According to the website, it's Judd Winick :evil: on writing and Guillem March.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby obtainium » Feb 19th, 2011 @ 4:39pm

Hmm Judd has been on fire with justice league generation lost.
obtainium

Postby Jaebird » Feb 19th, 2011 @ 6:07pm

You had me at Guillem March :)
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 1:58pm

After a lengthy delay, issue #21 hit the stands today.

After thwarting an apparent suicide, Batman and Robin are shocked to discover that the fallen angels are none other than Francine Langstrom and her two children! Meanwhile, Gotham's White Knight continues on a twisted crusade to "liberate" the darkest shadows of the soul; namely, the relatives of Arkham's most notorious inmates.

Gleason's artwork finally hits its stride in this issue, and with the reveal of the killer and his intentions, the confusing mess that was issue #20 is forgiven and quickly forgotten.

Can't wait to see how this one resolves. Hopefully, we won't have to wait over a month for it.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby BagODicks » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 2:58pm

I really liked the splash page in the middle of Batman and Robin zip-lining across the Gotham skyline with the Bat Signal in the back.
BagODicks

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 15th, 2011 @ 9:49am

Issue #22 bring the White Knight Saga to a close, as he makes a final stand at Arkham to purge Gotham of Batman's Rogues Gallery and his tragic origin is revealed.

Gleason is really on point with some incredible splash pages between Batman and White Knight and Tomasi brings Dick and Damien's path of heroism into closer focus.

Unfortunately, Issue #23 brings Judd Winick and Gulliem March into the fold for the next three issue arc. Guess Tomasi and Gleason are busy with War of the Green Lanterns?

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Lord_Xv » Sep 19th, 2011 @ 10:54pm

in one of the most resent comics of batman and robin the french batman Nightrunner played a starring role and a man who's pretty much the french joker, the man who laughs http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FCksOPw7Iqg/T ... laughs.jpg , now this presents something if I may say and it goes alot with the whole batman universe, Batman inc.= Multiple batmen with different names, costumes, and cultures, now using that a point and matter of fact, each one of them having a kind of joker enemy, boring? Predictable? or interesting?
would zombies attack Frankenstein's monster?
Lord_Xv

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 7:37pm

The relaunched book is really good. If anyone here had any doubts that Tomasi and Gleason could handle the Dynamic Duo, cast your fears aside and enjoy one of the best Bat books of the relaunch.

As a mysterious villain named NoBody is targeting the members of Batman, Inc., Bruce and Damien begin what will be a long and arduous journey to put the dynamic back in the Dynamic Duo.

Tomasi manages to get the emotional beats of both father and son just right as Gleason effortlessly brings plenty of action to the frontlines.

Definitely keeping this book on my pull list.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 7:43pm

I haven't read a single good review of it. Seems you're among the minority that actually liked it. I agree with the mediocre reviews. Compared to Detective, B&R was barely worth mentioning.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 7:45pm

LiQuid wrote:I haven't read a single good review of it. Seems you're among the minority that actually liked it. I agree with the mediocre reviews. Compared to Detective, B&R was barely mediocre.

Among my friends, it's one of the strongest Bat books. Of course, the flagship title launches tomorrow, and I have high hopes that it will easily take the title.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 7:49pm

Well your friends are weird. Comic press wasn't thrilled. Now you know how I feel when I stick up for shitty games like Alpha Protocol to all the haters. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 7:53pm

LiQuid wrote:Well your friends are weird. Comic press wasn't thrilled. Now you know how I feel when I stick up for shitty games like Alpha Protocol to all the haters. :lol:

*SHRUG* Different strokes for different folks. This book would definitely be better if Dick was still Batman.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 7:56pm

Who's Dick now, Nightwing? I got what you were saying about the Dick/Damien dynamic, and yeah it probably would have been better, but that doesn't make B&R as it exists better. It had potential, but I think consensus is that Damien was just a total wet blanket.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 8:01pm

LiQuid wrote:Who's Dick now, Nightwing? I got what you were saying about the Dick/Damien dynamic, and yeah it probably would have been better, but that doesn't make B&R as it exists better. It had potential, but I think consensus is that Damien was just a total wet blanket.

Damien's a bastard, but that's exactly part of the reason why he's shot up the charts as the new favorite Robin. No Jason Todd exit for him anytime soon.

And I don't have high hopes for Nightwing. His new costume is awful. He reached costume perfection back in 1995.

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Lord_Xv » Sep 21st, 2011 @ 8:44am

LiQuid wrote:Who's Dick now, Nightwing? I got what you were saying about the Dick/Damien dynamic, and yeah it probably would have been better, but that doesn't make B&R as it exists better. It had potential, but I think consensus is that Damien was just a total wet blanket.
What? that would mean batman(bruce then I guess) who have to try to be fatherly
would zombies attack Frankenstein's monster?
Lord_Xv

Postby LiQuid » Sep 21st, 2011 @ 12:27pm

I don't understand a word you're saying, bro.
LiQuid

Postby mcbrid55 » Sep 25th, 2011 @ 1:09am

I know B&R hasn't gotten the best reviews but I liked it a lot; especially the dynamic between Bruce and Damien. I just love how much of a little shit he is!
Jack of all trades; Master of none
http://www.facebook.com/ryanmcb123
Hookah/Shisha Consultant
mcbrid55

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 25th, 2011 @ 1:45pm

mcbrid55 wrote:I know B&R hasn't gotten the best reviews but I liked it a lot; especially the dynamic between Bruce and Damien. I just love how much of a little shit he is!

Thank you! Now tell it to LiQuid! :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Sep 25th, 2011 @ 2:28pm

Don't tell me tell these guys:

http://weeklycomicbookreview.com/2011/0 ... -review-2/
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... ew&id=3917
http://www.comicvine.com/batman-and-rob ... ff-review/
http://www.championcitycomics.com/2011/ ... eview.html
http://www.digitalspy.com/comics/news/a ... eview.html

While I like the general dynamic being set up between Bruce and Damian, I think it’s weakened considerably by the father/son relationship that necessarily runs under every line and interaction they share. It makes Damian come off as a petulant child talking back to his father, rather than a brilliant and brash young independent hero with a (somewhat understandable) superiority complex. It lessens both of them as characters, and undercuts the schools of thought that Tomasi is setting them up as representing

I can appreciate that their relationship is awkward and forced and will take time to develop but right now there’s little enjoyment in seeing them together. Damian feels even more bratty than normal (“Impossible,” you say? I wish.) and Bruce feels more touchy feel-y than normal. In the end, all you find yourself wishing for is the Dick Grayson/Damian Wayne dynamic that worked so beautifully (even when it was contentious) for the last year.

I have to wonder if Damian would really be this disrespectful, going so far as to demand he be trusted and be considered a partner, not a sidekick.

The problem with Batman & Robin is that we have a Batman that has stopped focusing upon his parent's death and a Robin that's unworthy, unlikeable, and unrealistic as a sidekick. This bad formula makes this title a bad start to what could have been a great series

Damian himself is portrayed as the most petulant individual to take on the guise of the Boy Wonder since Chris O'Donnell in Joel Schumacher's reviled Batman & Robin film. He argues with his mentor at every turn, ignores his advice, and gloats about how superior he is to his predecessors.

The character comes across as largely unlikable
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics