Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Batman & Robin

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 4th, 2009 @ 6:34pm

I gotta say, I kinda am. Even though I thought "RIP" sucked and "Final Crisis" was overly confusing, I am eagerly anticipating a fresh new look on the Dynamic Duo in June. And Quitely's pencils are icing on the cake.

So what are your thoughts? Think it'll be awesome or a bigger flop than "All Star Batman and Robin?" Share here!
Last edited by jinpei05 on Nov 19th, 2010 @ 5:36pm, edited 3 times in total.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Re: Anyone excited for Morrison/Quitely on "Batman and Robin?"

Postby Sokkratez » Apr 5th, 2009 @ 6:06pm

I think I'm more excited for Gotham Sirens.
Sokkratez

Postby exwingzero » Apr 5th, 2009 @ 6:44pm

I'm not looking forward to it...I haven't liked Morrison's Batman as of late. I'm not going to buy it.
If someone ask if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!
exwingzero

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Apr 5th, 2009 @ 8:38pm

It can't be a bigger flop than All-Star Batman and Robin. I am kind of worried how crazy weird Morrison is going to get with this. This is something he was building to with his earlier run, and that makes me think it'll be some odd Batman and Damien as Robin.

That, and Quitely is only confirmed for the first arc; Morrison said it'll be like his New X-Men run.

I just don't GET Morrison's Batman. Batman and Son was great, but RIP was redundant nonsense that didn't make sense, and WHY, if his whole run was building towards "a new Batman," why is Tony Daniel, a second stringer who to date had his biggest assignment doing X-Force after Liefeld left, writing it? That's either lack of faith from DC editorial or Morrison being lazy. "Ahhh, here kid, I've got this whole thing planned out, but you handle this part."
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby Sokkratez » Apr 6th, 2009 @ 12:29am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Damian is Robin. Tim is probably Red Robin. Dick as Batman.
Sokkratez

Postby Rydog » Apr 6th, 2009 @ 5:51pm

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:I just don't GET Morrison's Batman. Batman and Son was great, but RIP was redundant nonsense that didn't make sense, and WHY, if his whole run was building towards "a new Batman," why is Tony Daniel, a second stringer who to date had his biggest assignment doing X-Force after Liefeld left, writing it? That's either lack of faith from DC editorial or Morrison being lazy. "Ahhh, here kid, I've got this whole thing planned out, but you handle this part."

I have said this before: Only the comic book writing elite -- master storytellers who have proven track records for popular, critically acclaimed stories -- should get to handle the truly top-tier books. In DC's case, this means:

- Justice League
- Action Comics
- Detective Comics
- Superman
- Batman
- All key miniseries that spawn out of those books -- basically, anything that alters the status quo of Superman or Batman

Yeah, I dunno about Tony Daniel. His name isn't Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid, Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis, Gail Simone, Kurt Busiek, Brad Meltzer, Paul Dini, Dennis O'Neil, John Ostrander, J. Michael Straczynski, or Judd Winick. So yeah, I agree -- why is he writing this book?
Ryan Scott
Editorial Director/Executive Producer, Geekbox.net
Rydog
Hell Yeah!

Postby RedPanda77 » Apr 7th, 2009 @ 1:05am

In my opinion, Morrison and Quitley have knocked it out of the park every time as a team. I could not be more interested in my favorite (current) comics team taking on one of the greatest characters ever.
PSN: redpanda77
Steam: redpanda77
XB1: redpanda77
RedPanda77

Postby exwingzero » Apr 7th, 2009 @ 8:49am

RedPanda77 wrote:In my opinion, Morrison and Quitley have knocked it out of the park every time as a team. I could not be more interested in my favorite (current) comics team taking on one of the greatest characters ever.

There a good team, I just do not like trippy Morrison; which he has been for his batman run this far.
If someone ask if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!
exwingzero

Postby RedPanda77 » Apr 7th, 2009 @ 10:37am

exwingzero wrote:
RedPanda77 wrote:In my opinion, Morrison and Quitley have knocked it out of the park every time as a team. I could not be more interested in my favorite (current) comics team taking on one of the greatest characters ever.

There a good team, I just do not like trippy Morrison; which he has been for his batman run this far.

I don't blame you, the Batman run was the most uncohesive runs I have ever read. But I have yet to see something by both Morrison and Quitly that I didn't love.
PSN: redpanda77
Steam: redpanda77
XB1: redpanda77
RedPanda77

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 6th, 2009 @ 1:01pm

Well, the first issue shipped this past Wednesday, and I'm pleased with how it kicked things off.

With Batman now the lighter spirit and Robin the darker, abrasive one, a new dynamic in the Dynamic Duo could be an interesting plot point.

Quitely's pencils were awesome as usual, but the inks threw me.

All in all, a promising start, but with no artists announced for the two middle arcs, I am growing concerned...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 6th, 2009 @ 1:10pm

jinpei05 wrote:All in all, a promising start, but with no artists announced for the two middle arcs, I am growing concerned...

Phil Tan is the artist on #4-6, and Frazier Irving is the artist on #7-9.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Jaebird » Jun 6th, 2009 @ 1:52pm

I didn't really feel anything while reading it. I know I don't like Damian as Robin. I don't know much about him, other than that he's a clone of Bruce. I just don't like him. And Dick being Batman just doesn't click for me, nor does Morrison writing Batman.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 6th, 2009 @ 2:45pm

Master Higgins wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:All in all, a promising start, but with no artists announced for the two middle arcs, I am growing concerned...

Master Higgins, I have not heard of either of these artists. Can you provide some reference works so I can see what's ahead? Thanks.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Jun 7th, 2009 @ 6:15am

jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Master Higgins, I have not heard of either of these artists. Can you provide some reference works so I can see what's ahead? Thanks.

Turns out I've been watching this guy on deviantArt, but I never notice because he hardly updated his stuff: http://butones.deviantart.com/
Jaebird

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 8th, 2009 @ 12:24am

jinpei05 wrote:Master Higgins, I have not heard of either of these artists. Can you provide some reference works so I can see what's ahead? Thanks.

Woops, misspelled Frazer Irving (no "i"). He was the artist on all the David Hine "Silent War" books from Marvel, as well as the Seven Soldiers: Klarion mini by Grant Morrison, and the recent Azrael mini-series.

Philip Tan's biggest work includes the Final Crisis: Revelations mini and the most recent arc on Green Lantern arc, "Agent Orange."

They're both really good artists.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Jun 8th, 2009 @ 10:15am

There's a weird vibe in this issue. I'd almost call it whimsical. I mean, a dashing figure dressed in black fighting odd creatures and evil-doers; has Grant Morrison turned Batman into The Princess Bride?

At least they're finally getting some decent artists for him.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby Jaebird » Jun 8th, 2009 @ 11:14am

I'll have to disagree with that. I like Frank Quitely in All-Star Superman, but with Batman it doesn't mix well in my mind. Though, given the tone of the first issue so far, I guess it works.
Jaebird

Postby hunter zolomon » Jun 8th, 2009 @ 4:45pm

i think a lot of fans didnt like rip cause it was smart you had to pay attention everything made sense by the end and the clues were there dating back to the beginning of morrisons batman run.
final crisis is a whole other story though, im still confused on that one.
so now we have a lighter batman then what weve had in the past 30 years. i like bruce but im im excited to see what dick will be as batman, damian is a blank slate, he could and i mean could be the perfect amalgam of all 3 robins(sorry steph you may have worn the booties but i dont count ya as a real robin)
making others better through great tragedy and laced cookies
hunter zolomon

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 9th, 2009 @ 2:35pm

hunter zolomon wrote:i think a lot of fans didnt like rip cause it was smart you had to pay attention everything made sense by the end and the clues were there dating back to the beginning of morrisons batman run.
final crisis is a whole other story though, im still confused on that one.
so now we have a lighter batman then what weve had in the past 30 years. i like bruce but im im excited to see what dick will be as batman, damian is a blank slate, he could and i mean could be the perfect amalgam of all 3 robins(sorry steph you may have worn the booties but i dont count ya as a real robin)

Gotta disagree with you on one point: RIP sucked because it was overly confusing from the first splash page (ie, time skips with no reference point) and having the main villain claim to be Dr. Thomas Wayne was just stupid. To make matters worse, the final fate of Batman wouldn't be known until Final Crisis anyway, making RIP almost pointless.

ZUR ENH ARH? WTF is more like it...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby hunter zolomon » Jun 10th, 2009 @ 7:45am

i agree it wasn't perfect, maybe in time it might get better with age who knows,
hurt claiming he was thomas wayne was just one more way to try to get bruce to crack, with all the manipulation that he did with bruce over the years, the drugs etc. when all is said and we have a new member of the rouges that isnt like a cookie cutter bad guy like most of batmans villains. granted you probly couldve exchanged hugo strange or professor milo with dr hurt and the result would have been the same,
making others better through great tragedy and laced cookies
hunter zolomon

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 12:27pm

Issue #2 hit stands today, and it was well worth the wait.

After Dick and Damien make their debut as the new Dynamic Duo on the top of GCPD headquarters, their first true test as Batman and Robin begins as the Circus of Strange attempts to break Mr. Toad out of the joint. The majority of the issue is a series of awesome splash pages and action shots as Batman and Robin attempt to subdue the would-be liberators with as little loss of life and limb as possible.

The inks in this issue seem to be much improved over the debut issue, and seeing Dick struggle both physically and mentally with the weight of the cape and cowl is a intriguing take on the Dark Knight. When has Batman been this unsure of his place in Gotham? How can he claim to own the night when he can't even control his sidekick, who grows even more unstable and violent than Jason Todd?

It's going to be a long and painful wait until issue #3!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 26th, 2009 @ 12:44pm

After a lengthy delay, issue #3 hits stands today, bringing the first arc to a close.

After a few missteps, Dick finally settles into a more comfortable fit inside the cape and cowl and even manages to convince Gordon that Gotham is in safe hands under his watch. Meanwhile, Damien learns his place in the Dynamic Duo and grows a little closer to his "big brother."

All in all, a good close to the first arc and a great set up for the next!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 26th, 2009 @ 1:05pm

I loved that we finally got that last page from RIP.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 26th, 2009 @ 5:40pm

Master Higgins wrote:I loved that we finally got that last page from RIP.

Agreed!!!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 25th, 2009 @ 10:54am

I must be slipping. Issue #4 hit the shelves last week!

First things first: I think Phillip Tan is a good artist, but after the Frank Quitely love fest in the first story arc, the pencils are kind of a let down. That being said, the beginning of this story arc holds a lot of potential, as Red Hood and his new partner, Scarlet, take crime-fighting to lethal extremes and butt heads with Batman and Robin. Is it Jason Todd reviving his wicked ways, or a brand new Hood? How will Dick and Damien handle their out-of-control "step-brother?"
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 9th, 2009 @ 9:27am

Issue #5 hit stands this week, and boy, did this arc take a turn for the weird...

The face under the Red Hood is revealed and a new player is jarringly introduced into the story. Not some of Grant Morrison's best, but I'll wait until next month to see how it plays out. Phillip Tan's pencils are more than competent, but he's still no Frank Quitely.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 14th, 2009 @ 2:17pm

Issue #6 hit the stands this week, drawing the second arc to a close and raising a lot of questions.

Dick and Damien manage to escape from their bonds before their identities are revealed to a captive webcam audience and manage to defeat Jason, Scarlet, and Flamingo, but not before one of the Dynamic Duo is seriously injured. Jason then demands to know why Bruce wasn't revived via a Lazarus Pit before being hauled off to jail. The final reveal is a shocker (that I won't spoil here!) that sets up the next arc nicely and makes a great tie-in to Blackest Night.

Overall, this arc was above average, but Frank Quitely's art would've made it spectacular, with all due respect to Philip Tan. Bring on issue #7!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 28th, 2010 @ 2:44pm

After a lengthy break, Batman and Robin #7 comes back with a vengeance!

With Robin sidelined with injuries, Batman travels to the British Isles to follow the trail of the Domino Killer and complete a secret mission in the name of Bruce Wayne

First things first: Cameron Stewart is a much better suited artist for this gig than Philip Tan. Frank Quitely he's not, but he does a respectable job. As for the final page, more questions are raised as the final fate and true location of Bruce Wayne are still a mystery. Bring on #8!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » May 5th, 2010 @ 4:22pm

Time to dust off this thread, because this week's issue #12 caps off two incredible story arcs.

First, Dick travels to England to track down a Lazarus Pit to revive "Bruce" after the events of Final Crisis, but what comes back is ultimately more horrifying than anyone could've imagined. Then, Damien is forced against his will to become an agent of death against Dick as clues of Bruce's true fate begin to appear, and the true identity of Oberon Sexton is revealed which will leave you slack-jawed.

This is the best Batman book on the shelves, and if you're not reading it, you're missing out.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » May 20th, 2010 @ 7:44am

jinpei05 wrote:This is the best Batman book on the shelves, and if you're not reading it, you're missing out.

I question that, because I'm not liking the book. At all.
Jaebird

Next
Forum Statistics