Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » May 21st, 2010 @ 3:59pm

Jaebird wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:This is the best Batman book on the shelves, and if you're not reading it, you're missing out.

I question that, because I'm not liking the book. At all.


What would you suggest is a better Batman book?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby Jaebird » May 21st, 2010 @ 6:14pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Jaebird wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:This is the best Batman book on the shelves, and if you're not reading it, you're missing out.

I question that, because I'm not liking the book. At all.


What would you suggest is a better Batman book?

Batman: Hush comes to mind at the moment. This is my personal opinion, after all.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird
User avatar
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Jun 6th, 2009 @ 7:37am
Location: New Iberia, LA

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » May 21st, 2010 @ 7:34pm

Jaebird wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
Jaebird wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:This is the best Batman book on the shelves, and if you're not reading it, you're missing out.

I question that, because I'm not liking the book. At all.


What would you suggest is a better Batman book?

Batman: Hush comes to mind at the moment. This is my personal opinion, after all.


No, not what story arc. I meant what CURRENT monthly book on the shelves. Your choices are:

Batman
Batman Confidential
Batman & Robin
Batman: Streets of Gotham
Batgirl
Birds of Prey
Azreal
Superman/Batman
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby Jaebird » May 21st, 2010 @ 7:51pm

jinpei05 wrote:No, not what story arc. I meant what CURRENT monthly book on the shelves. Your choices are:

Batman
Batman Confidential
Batman & Robin
Batman: Streets of Gotham
Batgirl
Birds of Prey
Azreal
Superman/Batman

First of all, you didn't say "current monthly book." "Better Batman book" kinda leaves it open to interpretation.

Secondly, Streets of Gotham, Detective Comics (with Batwoman) and Gotham City Sirens are the only books that I am enjoying. And I know Detective is now focused on Batman, the stories with Batwoman were damn good, in my opinion. I would mention Batman, but it's been hit-and-miss for me.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird
User avatar
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Jun 6th, 2009 @ 7:37am
Location: New Iberia, LA

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » May 21st, 2010 @ 8:01pm

Jaebird wrote:First of all, you didn't say "current monthly book." "Better Batman book" kinda leaves it open to interpretation.

Secondly, Streets of Gotham, Detective Comics (with Batwoman) and Gotham City Sirens are the only books that I am enjoying. And I know Detective is now focused on Batman, the stories with Batwoman were damn good, in my opinion. I would mention Batman, but it's been hit-and-miss for me.


Sorry for the confusion, but when I say book, I usually refer to a monthly title. I say story arc when I refer to a storyline.

Batman's flagship title has been pretty bad for a while now. I don't know how Tony Daniel got both writing and drawing duties, and both the story and art have suffered in my opinion.

Batwoman's artwok has been very impressive, but I don't find the character that interesting.

Paul Dini's writing on Streets of Gotham is very good, but I'm not a fan of Dustin Nguyen.

Tell me how you feel about Detective after the first complete arc, now that Greg Rucka's not on writing duty.

For me Batman & Robin is the complete package. Good writing, decent art (except for Philip Tan), and straightforward storytelling.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 12th, 2010 @ 1:22pm

Issue #13 shipped last week. Wow. Just wow.

After the shocking unmasking of Oberon Sexton in issue #12, Batman begins to unravel the plot of El Penitente, while Robin "interrogates" the Joker for more information.

Frazier Irving's artwork is a perfect match for the story, providing a macabre, moody atmosphere that foreshadows the return of Thomas Wayne and the downfall of Batman. It seems everything that Morrison has set up (i.e., R.I.P.) is coming to fruition in this storyarc, and the question of whether or not Dick Grayson is worthy of the mantle of the Bat will be resoundingly answered by issue #15.

Best Batman book today.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby Jaebird » Jul 12th, 2010 @ 1:34pm

I'm surprised to say that I liked this issue, as oppose to the book as a whole. It still infuriates me that Morrison is mind-fucking Batman's origin with the asshole Thomas Wayne-wannabe.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird
User avatar
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Jun 6th, 2009 @ 7:37am
Location: New Iberia, LA

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Jul 12th, 2010 @ 1:50pm

Jaebird wrote:I'm surprised to say that I liked this issue, as oppose to the book as a whole. It still infuriates me that Morrison is mind-fucking Batman's origin with the asshole Thomas Wayne-wannabe.


Yeah, I'm not a fan of the whole Thomas Wayne/Simon Hurt device. That's why I hated R.I.P. so much. Still, Irving's art is awesome, and I'm willing to overlook a stupid story element for the sake of a good storyline overall.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 10:51am

Issue #14 shipped last week, but I couldn't read it until last night.

Wow. Just wow.

The Joker once again proves why he's fiction's greatest villain and begins to enact his vengeance upon The Black Glove and Simon Hurt. Meanwhile, Dick races to rescue Damien and somehow save the city from the designer virus that threatens to infect and destroy everyone.

The artwork was again incredible and the writing is building to a breakneck pace. The wait for issue #15 seems so long!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 5:02pm

I really like Frazier Irving's artwork in this and the Return of Bruce Wayne. I agree with what you said about the Joker.
Spoiler: show
Should be interesting now that Dick will pretty much have to work for him. I also like how the Joker can tell Dick isn't Batman but recognizes Damien sounds and acts just like "him".

Now I have to buy anything Morrison does with the Batman story. This and RoBW got me hooked!
Lombaszko
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 3:53am
Location: Boston

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 15th, 2010 @ 5:24pm

Lombaszko wrote:I really like Frazier Irving's artwork in this and the Return of Bruce Wayne. I agree with what you said about the Joker.
Spoiler: show
Should be interesting now that Dick will pretty much have to work for him. I also like how the Joker can tell Dick isn't Batman but recognizes Damien sounds and acts just like "him".

Now I have to buy anything Morrison does with the Batman story. This and RoBW got me hooked!


Those are the only two Batman books I'm reading right now. They've been pretty awesome, which is surprising, considering I thought R.I.P. and Final Crisis sucked ass.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 2:37am

Every time I see this thread, I always think it's about Adam Morrison and get excited.

:lol: Seriously, the best moment in college basketball history.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 9:01am

kenzo wrote:Every time I see this thread, I always think it's about Adam Morrison and get excited.

:lol: Seriously, the best moment in college basketball history.


Nice derailment, kenzo. Why would anything about Adam Morrison be in a comics forum???
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 11:45am

Hope against hope?
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 11:58am

Never gonna happen.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:08pm

Unless I make it happen:

Skip to about 1:30 for the good part.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:10pm


LOLOLOLOL
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:11pm


Awkwwwaarrddddddd
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:13pm


"Yeah, I cried... more people should cry."
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:18pm

C'mon mang. I like this comic and we were getting some nice discussion in here. :x
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 12:44pm

jinpei05 wrote:C'mon mang. I like this comic and we were getting some nice discussion in here. :x


Batistia with the caaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 1:25pm

Asshole. :evil:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 1:38pm

jinpei05 wrote:Asshole. :evil:
Now you know how I feel with everyone shitting on Jersey Shore, even though they've never even seen it and given it a chance.

I'm sorry for derailing your conversation BTW. Just trying to be humorous. You have to admit, Adam Morrison is fucking hilarious.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 2:48pm

kenzo wrote:Now you know how I feel with everyone shitting on Jersey Shore, even though they've never even seen it and given it a chance.

I'm sorry for derailing your conversation BTW. Just trying to be humorous. You have to admit, Adam Morrison is fucking hilarious.


Not exactly the same thing. You started a discussion thread about Jersey Shore, so you should have been prepared for dissenting opinions and the possibility of ridicule as part of that discussion.

This thread has nothing to do with sports of Adam Morrison, but you introduced it solely to derail the thread. That's the difference.

Whateves. I was annoyed, but I'm over it. ;)
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 3:32pm

jinpei05 wrote:Not exactly the same thing. You started a discussion thread about Jersey Shore, so you should have been prepared for dissenting opinions and the possibility of ridicule as part of that discussion.
I've stated all along, I'm fine with dissenting opinions. But when you refuse to even give the show a chance but shit all over it, that's not an actual opinion. That's a perspective that is uninformed and based on prejudice - it's being a troll.

And again, sorry for trolling your Batman post. Batman is pretty sweet.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Sep 16th, 2010 @ 4:10pm

kenzo wrote:I've stated all along, I'm fine with dissenting opinions. But when you refuse to even give the show a chance but shit all over it, that's not an actual opinion. That's a perspective that is uninformed and based on prejudice - it's being a troll.

And again, sorry for trolling your Batman post. Batman is pretty sweet.


That's true. But what does that have to do with what you did in this thread? You didn't even attempt to troll on Batman, you just derailed it outright.

Anyway, apology accepted.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby Jaebird » Sep 30th, 2010 @ 9:49pm

I finally read the latest issue. The pacing feels like it came to a halt when all the action started. I don't know; I guess when the balance between action and dialogue fluctuates in weird ways bother me. Like Greg Pak on Incredible Hulk. But I digress.

The art is really nice, though. Doesn't flow well in some spots, but nothing to complain about.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird
User avatar
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Jun 6th, 2009 @ 7:37am
Location: New Iberia, LA

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 1st, 2010 @ 8:35am

I'm just pissed that B&R and Return of Bruce Wayne got delayed until October. WTF is Grant Morrison doing?

(NOTE: Rhetorical question. I know it's drugs!)
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby kenzo » Oct 1st, 2010 @ 1:57pm

jinpei05 wrote:I'm just pissed that B&R and Return of Bruce Wayne got delayed until October. WTF is Grant Morrison doing?

Image
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 2nd, 2010 @ 12:02am

I thought we talked about this... :cry:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Options

Return to Comics

cron