Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: Morrison/Quitely's "Batman and Robin"

Postby Kirgandian » Oct 4th, 2010 @ 1:20pm

My hardcover of the first collected volume came in the mail today. Even though I must admit that I haven't read R.I.P. or Final Crisis (To my shame. I'm working on that), I found it very easy to follow, which is a testament to Morrison's storytelling. Even though I only know Dick and Damian's characters mildly, they are definitely easy characters to get used to. Quitely's artwork is superb, even though I wasn't fond of the drawing done on the Dollotrons. I don't know why, but they seemed to have less work done on them than other elements, but that's merely my opinion.

Still, loving the series even though I've only read the first few issues, and I'm looking forward to reading the second volume when its released.
Last edited by Kirgandian on Oct 5th, 2010 @ 10:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirgandian

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 4th, 2010 @ 5:19pm

Kirgandian wrote:My hardcover of the first collected volume came in the mail today. Even though I must admit that I haven't read R.I.P. or Final Crisis (To my shame. I'm working on that), I found it very easy to follow, which is a testament to Morrison's storytelling. Even though I only know Dick and Damian's characters mildly, they are definitely easy characters to get used to. Quitely's artwork is superb, even though I wasn't fond of the drawing done on the Dollotrons. I don't know why, but they seemd to have less work done on them than other elements, but that's merely my opinion.

Still, loving the series even though I've only read the first few issues, and I'm looking forward to reading the second volume when its released.

Thank you for getting us back on track, newbie.

I'm actually not a huge fan of Grant Morrison's writing, especially considering how confusing R.I.P. and Final Crisis was. However, this and Return of Bruce Wayne have been as close to impervious to criticism as comics get. Simple and fun storytelling that plays to the strengths of Batman and his long history.

As for volume two of Batman & Robin, get ready for some of the best Batman stories in a long time!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 6th, 2010 @ 12:47am

jinpei05 wrote:I thought we talked about this... :cry:
You should see what I did to this thread.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 21st, 2010 @ 4:40pm

We're at the end now. No turning back. This is the penultimate issue, the one that will either mark Grant Morrison as one of the greatest modern Batman writers or the biggest hacks in history.

With the Joker in firm control of the Dynamic Duo, he sends Damien into battle against the Black Glove and Professor Pyg. Meanwhile, Dick struggles to free himself from his captors and prevent Simon Hurt from enacting his horrible vengeance against Bruce Wayne and Gotham City.

Morrison's masterful writing has been leading all up to this moment, and you can feel the anticipation build with each page. And Frazier Irving's artwork is a perfect complement. The images of the Joker dancing with a corpse was all the more disturbing.

I won't spoil the last splash page, but believe me, issue 16 cannot come soon enough!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Oct 27th, 2010 @ 12:25pm

I just finished reading the issue... *Groan*

I think the only part of this I liked was the last page. Other than that, the pacing and flow of the book bothered me; like, the whole thing was rushed. And the endless supply of obscure references were noticeable, yet confusing as always (in my opinion).

Is anyone else thinking that the real contents of the box will create the greatest facepalm moment in the history of facepalms?
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 27th, 2010 @ 12:28pm

Really? I thought it flowed pretty well. But granted I spent some time getting all caught up with Morrison's Batman run and fully understanding all that's come through so far.

The delay in Morrison's Bat books hasn't helped, that's for sure.

If you have any blanks that are causing confusion, you might want to check out this handy resource:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/112/1124433p1.html
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Oct 27th, 2010 @ 1:08pm

Is anyone reading Batman/Superman? I really enjoyed the team up this week of Robin (Damien Wayne) and Supergirl.
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 27th, 2010 @ 1:11pm

IRL_Troll wrote:Is anyone reading Batman/Superman? I really enjoyed the team up this week of Robin (Damien Wayne) and Supergirl.

I actually did pick up that issue, but I haven't followed the series ever since it left standard DC Universe continuity.

I think it was a special Halloween-themed one shot.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Oct 27th, 2010 @ 3:30pm

It was, and it kinda followed the "untold tales of the blackest night" one shot as well. The main storyline now of Batman/Superman has finally caught up with the rest of the DC universe in that now Dick is Batman, and it kinda focused on Superman accepting the fact Dick is Batman, and I don't think there's been any new issues past that
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 27th, 2010 @ 3:33pm

IRL_Troll wrote:It was, and it kinda followed the "untold tales of the blackest night" one shot as well. The main storyline now of Batman/Superman has finally caught up with the rest of the DC universe in that now Dick is Batman, and it kinda focused on Superman accepting the fact Dick is Batman, and I don't think there's been any new issues past that

That's cool, I guess. I really liked the artist on the Supergirl/Robin story.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Nov 3rd, 2010 @ 3:16pm

Who read the last one? I think it set us up for Batman Inc. Quite well. It helps if you've read the all one shots of the Batverse for Bruce Wayne: The Return home

Oh, and apparently Bruce will be a White Lantern in the next Brightest Day issue
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 3rd, 2010 @ 7:00pm

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

I actually got goosebumps reading this issue.

Father and sons, fighting side by side and finally confronting Simon Hurt and the Black Glove once and for all. Even the Joker gets his licks in.

Grant Morrison caps off an incredible run on Batman & Robin, ties up all his storylines as neatly as you please, and segues seamlessly into Batman Inc. And all three artists (Cameron Stewart, Frazier Irving, Frank Quitely) are at the top of their game, delivering the Bat Family reunion in kick-ass fashion.

Farewell, Grant Morrison. I take back almost every nasty thing I ever said about your writing. And welcome home, Bruce. What a strange long trip it's been. :mrgreen:

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Nov 3rd, 2010 @ 9:07pm

jinpei05 wrote:Oh. My. Fucking. God.

I actually got goosebumps reading this issue.

Father and sons, fighting side by side and finally confronting Simon Hurt and the Black Glove once and for all. Even the Joker gets his licks in.

Grant Morrison caps off an incredible run on Batman & Robin, ties up all his storylines as neatly as you please, and segues seamlessly into Batman Inc. And all three artists (Cameron Stewart, Frazier Irving, Frank Quitely) are at the top of their game, delivering the Bat Family reunion in kick-ass fashion.

Farewell, Grant Morrison. I take back almost every nasty thing I ever said about your writing. And welcome home, Bruce. What a strange long trip it's been. :mrgreen:

All I have to say is he has this one last issue to make me a raving fanboy (in a good way). Like I said, I'm really skeptical about the true contents of that box. Will it be some kind of mind-blowing revelation for the Bat-mythos? Or will it be a Bat-herring? Stay tuned in! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

...Bat!! >_>
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 8:46am

Jaebird wrote:All I have to say is he has this one last issue to make me a raving fanboy (in a good way). Like I said, I'm really skeptical about the true contents of that box. Will it be some kind of mind-blowing revelation for the Bat-mythos? Or will it be a Bat-herring? Stay tuned in! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

...Bat!! >_>

Yay! Jaebird is finally won over! :mrgreen:

The only thing that sucks is that the delay in shipping puts the last issue of Return of Bruce Wayne next week, after this week's awesome #16.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Nov 4th, 2010 @ 7:16pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Jaebird wrote:All I have to say is he has this one last issue to make me a raving fanboy (in a good way). Like I said, I'm really skeptical about the true contents of that box. Will it be some kind of mind-blowing revelation for the Bat-mythos? Or will it be a Bat-herring? Stay tuned in! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

...Bat!! >_>

Yay! Jaebird is finally won over! :mrgreen:

The only thing that sucks is that the delay in shipping puts the last issue of Return of Bruce Wayne next week, after this week's awesome #16.

What? No. What I meant was he has that one last issue to turn me over. Not that he already has. I bought it today, but I haven't sat down to read it yet.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » Nov 5th, 2010 @ 11:14am

So, I just finished reading the issue... And I can't really explain how I feel about it. It certainly felt rushed, more so than the last issue. And I'm guessing we'll need to see what the last part of Return of Bruce Wayne has to tell us for all the pieces to fit together. Speaking of which, I haven't picked up #5 of that, because I want to wait until I can get both issues in my hands.
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 5th, 2010 @ 5:24pm

I don't what to say to you, Jaebird, other than the fact, that I, too, disliked Grant Morisson's writing, but taking his entire run as a whole instead of examining the minutiae of each arc is a much better way to digest it.

Tell me you at least loved the fight sequence between Bruce, Dick and Damien against the Black Hand.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Nov 12th, 2010 @ 10:54pm

jinpei05 wrote:Tell me you at least loved the fight sequence between Bruce, Dick and Damien against the Black Hand.

(I'm correcting what I said before. I forgot it was Stewart who did the fight. It's Frazer that I was think of at the time who doesn't have good flow with his fight scenes.)
Yeah; it was pretty good.

I've decided to read all of Batman and Robin again, just to see if I can get a better grasp of what Morrison was doing (aside from the drugs). I've read up to #9, and I must say the only story that I genuinely liked is the one with Batwoman. And I would attribute that to Cameron Stewart's art, which I liked more over everything else I've seen (except Quitely's, of course).

That aside, I can't help but feel that everything has been contrived in a way to force the story along. And I still find myself asking, "Okay; what was the point of that?" Like, for instance, the aforementioned inclusion of Batwoman. I can't help but think she was forced into the story.
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 15th, 2010 @ 12:03pm

Glad you liked something about the issue. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Re: Batman & Robin

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 26th, 2010 @ 9:48am

Ugh. Is there anything worse in comics than filler issues?

While it's nice to see Scott McDaniel back doing Batman, Paul Cornell's writing is far too schizophrenic to be enjoyed. Thankfully, there's only two more issue before Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason move over from Green Lantern Corps.

I'll stick around for now, but I'm not making any promises.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby IRL_Troll » Nov 26th, 2010 @ 4:13pm

Why is the villianess the dead woman? I wasn't quite ready for the gaping hole in her head
Wildcard. Bitches
IRL_Troll

Postby jinpei05 » Nov 26th, 2010 @ 4:18pm

I have no fucking idea. I'm gonna have to read this one again sometime...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Dec 8th, 2010 @ 6:54am

I just want to say that I've dropped the new run on Batman and Robin because of the art. Now, as an artist myself, I have nothing but great respect for comic artists who can successfully draw out sequentials...because I suck at it. But McDaniel's art doesn't sit right with me. I didn't even bother finishing that "Impostors" story in Detective Comics, because of the art (and the story, too).
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 8th, 2010 @ 10:43am

Jaebird wrote:I just want to say that I've dropped the new run on Batman and Robin because of the art. Now, as an artist myself, I have nothing but great respect for comic artists who can successfully draw out sequentials...because I suck at it. But McDaniel's art doesn't sit right with me. I didn't even bother finishing that "Impostors" story in Detective Comics, because of the art (and the story, too).

From a technical standpoint, I can see how Scott McDaniel's art is horrible and worthless, especially in terms of anatomy. Yet for some reason, I really like it. Maybe because he was on Nightwing with Chuck Dixon back in the day, with really good stories. I dunno.

You should know that this is a three issue filler arc until Peter Tomasi, Patrick Gleason, and Mark Irwin move over from Green Lantern Corp.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Dec 8th, 2010 @ 11:19am

Well, for me, it's just his overall style. As much as I like art that strays from DC's "default" art, there were certain aspects of McDaniel's work that felt uncomfortable to look at. Especially how he drew those Joker smiles in the "Impostors" arc. They looked a lot like those fake lips people would throw out at Mardi Gras.
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 8th, 2010 @ 5:05pm

Do you think you're gonna jump back on when the new team takes over?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Dec 8th, 2010 @ 5:14pm

Probably. For me, I enjoy the art more than the story, itself. And, there have been very few books whose art I felt indifferent toward, no matter how good or bad the story was.
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 12:24pm

Christ, the Absence has got to be the worst fucking Batman villain ever...

Hey, look at me! I got shot in the head, but I'm still alive because my brain matter is all on the periphery of my skull! And because oxygen reaches it so quickly, I'm a super geinius!

WTF :evil:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 1:06pm

Yeah; when I flipped through that issue, and, when I saw that, I initially thought it was some weird moon tattoo. That is, until I saw the floor tile through her head.
Jaebird

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2010 @ 1:15pm

Jaebird wrote:the floor tile through her head.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't even notice that at first. That's fucking hysterical. I don't understand how you guys can think that's terrible. That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics