Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

X-Thread

Postby LiQuid » Dec 4th, 2011 @ 6:05am

So there are a ton of god damned X-Men and X-Related books out there. I swiped this handy cheat sheet from GAF.

X-Men Blue aka "Team Scott":
+Uncanny X-Men (main series)
+New Mutants
+Generation Hope
+X-Men

X-Men Yellow aka "Team Logan":
+Wolverine and the X-Men (main series)
+X-Men Legacy
+X-Factor
+Uncanny X-Force

Clan Sniktbub:
+Wolverine
+X-23
+Daken: Dark Wolverine

And so I'm getting balls deep into this shit. I checked out at least 1 post-Schism issue from most of these books (I'm not reading fucking Daken - you can't trick me with a Runaways cameo, Marvel!) and for the most part I liked all of them. They aren't all 5-star comics by any stretch, but as a guy who grew up a major X-Men fan I'm willing to give and take a little.

So my jumping on point for getting up to date is currently Second Coming. I've read Messiah Complex, which was ok, and War, which was pretty much garbage, and those are finally starting to pay dividends in Second Coming which has been exceptional and I'm not even that far into it yet. SC seems to have been the launch point for a lot of these current ongoings, which makes it seem ironically like Hope was the savior of X-Men comics in general which allowed Marvel to branch it off into a dozen different titles...

Anyways, not sure how much between Second Coming and Schism I'm gonna read or how many of these current ongoings I'm going to keep up with, but since I don't have a blog and none of my friends could give two shits about comics books, I'm gonna come in here and wank about X-men every now and then until I get bored.

Quick question that I can't find clarification on. Is Astonishing X-Men completely separate, non-canon from the rest of these books? I know the lineage of it, where it was originally started by Whedon who was in turn continuing on from Morrison's New X-Men run, which was a rebranding of the old 90s Adjectiveless X-Men book, which is now X-Men Legacy. I'm just wondering where during all of that was it split off from from the main line series' canon, if at all?
LiQuid

Re: X-Thread

Postby SerpentineZERO » Dec 4th, 2011 @ 12:59pm

Astonishing is still canon, i think they're just side stories and stuff.

I read Messiah Complex, which was alright. Do i even have to read War to move on to Second Coming?

And it seems Clan Sniktbub is now down to just Wolverine, what with the other two about to be cancelled.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Dec 4th, 2011 @ 1:24pm

Damn X-23 is cancelled? I just read the Adventures in Babysitting issue and it was hilarious and well done.

As for Messiah War SKIP THAT SHIT! It's poorly written and the art is even worse and the story is completely unnecessary. Read a Wiki synopsis and save yourself a half hour.

I guess I'll check out Astonishing and see what kind of team kicks around there. Strikes me as weird that it seems to completely ignore most of the big crossover events. Was it even effected by Schism and ReGenesis? Guess I'll go find out.

Oh, I didn't mention it in the OP but I'm reading Ultimate X-Men too. All of the Ultimate stuff since Peter Parker blew himself up has been pretty amazing but so ridiculous and far removed from 616 (really, what the Ultimate line should have been all along) that it's hard to even consider it the same characters.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Dec 5th, 2011 @ 4:16pm

LiQuid wrote:Oh, I didn't mention it in the OP but I'm reading Ultimate X-Men too. All of the Ultimate stuff since Peter Parker blew himself up has been pretty amazing but so ridiculous and far removed from 616 (really, what the Ultimate line should have been all along) that it's hard to even consider it the same characters.

Uh, yeah, that's kinda the whole point of the Ultimate Universe.

Just wait until you find out who Cable is... :?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby SerpentineZERO » Dec 8th, 2011 @ 12:32am

I read that on Wikipedia and it seemed kinda interesting, but I also heard Kirkman's run was just bad.

Some of the Ultimate versions seem way cooler than the 616 counterparts, like Toad and Dazzler. But then Ultimatum happened.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Dec 8th, 2011 @ 12:46am

616 Janitor Toad is great in WatX #1
LiQuid

Postby SerpentineZERO » Dec 8th, 2011 @ 1:36am

That is true, i almost forgot about that.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Dec 10th, 2011 @ 2:01pm

Holy fucking shit Fantomex is awesome. I usually don't get all fangirly over characters that are designed to be "cool" but holy god damn reading through X-Force is making me a fan.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 11th, 2011 @ 4:32pm

Just read the Quarantine arc from Uncanny. Holy shit, who do I need to fellate for a Pixie/Dazzler spin off?
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 12th, 2011 @ 2:55pm

Marjorie Liu the chick that was writing X-23 is moving over to Astonishing. I haven't read any Astonishing yet but the Adventures in Babysitting issues of X-23 were kinda fun. I dunno if it's because of the character that she's writing, or the look of the book, but those X-23 issues reek of young, teen girl pandering. Not sure if that will come across when she does a team book but we'll see.
LiQuid

Postby SerpentineZERO » Dec 12th, 2011 @ 5:02pm

I thought Pak was going to do Astonishing.
SerpentineZERO

Postby LiQuid » Dec 12th, 2011 @ 5:08pm

He is currently. Lui coming on next arc I guess. In March apparently.
LiQuid

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Dec 12th, 2011 @ 11:15pm

I got around to reading Uncanny #2, and it was really good. I love Sinister's pompousness ("It's time for me to be shot now.") and the fact that they put Cyclops into a place where he's not worried about trying to fit in with humanity and is willing to meet deadly force equally.

That said, I still think it's absurd that Wolverine somehow disagrees with this approach and ran off to Westchester. The guy kept X-Force going, for crissakes. I really think they only did Schism because fans wanted set rosters for the books, and they knew no one would buy a book with Kitty Pryde, Iceman and Beast. I'm only surprised they haven't cancelled Adjectiveless X-Men, unless Vampire Jubilee is a draw.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby LiQuid » Dec 12th, 2011 @ 11:42pm

Adjectiveless and Legacy seem to be massive sloppy seconds books. Even just reading the plot synopses from Legacy it seem like a total mess. Adjectiveless seems to be the de facto Storm book. The couple issues I read were alright. If you wanted to go bare bones you could easily get away with just reading Uncanny X-men, WatX and X-Force. X-Force is so fucking good. I need to catch up on this Dark Angel saga before it wraps this week. Everybody is talking about it.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2011 @ 4:10am

Finally got caught up with Uncanny X-Force. I figured everybody was exaggerating how good the Dark Angel conclusion was. I was dead fucking wrong. 18 issues of comic book perfection wrapped up with a huge, emotional megaton that should have massive ramifications for the rest of the X-books as well. Amazing god damned work from Remender and all the artists involved. Man...
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 16th, 2011 @ 4:41pm

The undecipherable art in W&TXM is countered by QQ and Krakoa.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2011 @ 5:19pm

Master Higgins wrote:The undecipherable art in W&TXM

Who are you? Begone, troll!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 16th, 2011 @ 5:30pm

I bet you've been avoiding UXF too, Higgins, you filthy, stinky fanboy. Get out of my thread!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 21st, 2011 @ 4:20pm

Haha, wow, WatX 3 was amazing. Jason Aaron managed to take a story primarily focused on the grumpiest, bitchiest kid at the school and turn it into such a funny story. Krakoa is a great addition to the team (kind of the Jean Grey School's own personal Mogo!) and Matt Murdock showing up at the Hellfire office with a fat lawsuit for that little shit made me :lol: This is far and away the co-best X-book running right now along with UXF. I love how they are starting to acknowledge each other new (with Genesis heading to the JGS, which should happen next issue) and I love that they have such complimentary tones while still both managing to have a ton of great character moments along with all the action.

Bachalo's art is starting to grow on me a bit. I don't like the way he seems to shift between two art styles, the close-up, super detailed work and the farther away, slapdash style where everyone's faces are just circles and squiggly lines. When he really tries on a page you can tell. Like the big, 2-page, full team spread this issue, or the final page where Sabretooth shows up. Though more than almost any artist I can think of, it's really apparent when he's just rushing through a page or simply doesn't care because it's not a huge action moment. It's like having two separate artists on the book and it's kind of weird. The actual style of his work is what's actually been doing the most growing on me. Also I think something about the colors in this book make his stuff much more appealing to me than it was in Messiah Complex, which I think is the last thing I remember seeing him in. He's a really good fit for this book.

UXF was good for an epilogue issue. Not a huge fan of the Angel reboot yet, but it gives Remender a blank slate to rebuild him from scratch, so I'll wait and see how he develops. I was kind of excited about the prospect of AOA Nightcrawler joining the team, but I'm not sure why he was such a dick when Kitty came up and gave him a hugsie. Maybe he has some history with AOA Kitty I'm not aware of. At any rate his 'tude needs adjusting.

The biggest issue is what's in store for the future of Genesis. He seems alright for now and a good spokesman for nurture vs. nature, but it seems like he has the potential to snap at the flip of a switch (read: Fantomex revealing the truth about his upbringing) which seems like easy fodder for a betrayalaton villain story somewhere down the line.

Ed: I just realized there were literally 3 different pencilers on the book, so forget everything I said about Bachalo feeling like different artists. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 12:24pm

Went into Age of X totally expecting that I'd hate it since it sounded like it was going to be "yet another alternate dimension story." Lo and behold it turned out great! That's two X-Men related, alternate dimension-centric storylines from 2011 that turned out great (the other being Dark Angel, natch).
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 6:41pm

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 6:46pm

OMG I want Liquid to read this so badly. I'm dying here, waiting for his reply.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 6:55pm

Master Higgins wrote:Liquid's new favorite X-book.

http://comicbastards.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -that.html
Are we certain that LiQuid didn't write and draw this???
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 7:02pm

It's possible!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 7:30pm

Huh?
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 10:40pm

LiQuid wrote:Huh?

http://mikemorrisons.blogspot.com/2012/ ... nd_04.html is your new favorite X-Men comic!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jan 9th, 2012 @ 10:47pm

Nope, not really.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jan 11th, 2012 @ 9:19pm

I'm currently losing my mind over WatXM 4. I've got a stack of comics I couldn't wait to read 15 minutes ago and now they might as well be kindling. There's no way this is going to be topped. So hilarious, so charming, just downright damn interesting, and good god the art is superhuman. Nick Bradshaw has just spoiled me for all other X-Men artists. All the continuity between UXF and this book has made reading them all such a damn joy.

Also, holy shit at that brief glimpse of a potential new Days of Future Past. Idie, Broo, Kid Gladiator and Quentin... Holy shit how amazing would that series be to read. Fuck the new AOA ongoing, just do that, please, please, please.

I love how now that all the dust has settled from the stupid Hellfire Brat's sabotage, they just get down to fucking school business. Wolverine balancing his X-Force and school duties (including faculty meetings!)

Ugh, blah blah, rant & rave. Amazing book. Perfect. Can't recommend highly enough.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jan 18th, 2012 @ 8:50pm

WatXM getting a lot of well deserved hype but I never hear anybody talking about how Dani Moonstar's New X-Men team just took on a cosmically possessed heavy metal band. I've been reading since Schism and NXM is a really damn fun book. I initially had no attachment to the characters, and I'm still mostly unfamiliar with the entire team, but it's good to see a more lighthearted book on the Team Cyclops side of the Schism.

Speaking of Cyke, UXM 5 was great. Love the way it tied back in to X-Force. Also some great characterizations in this one. Good conversations with Cyclops and Storm and a really hilarious panel with Namor and Hope. Really loving almost everything about all these X-books. I'm starting to almost dread the inevitable hijacking of them by the AvX stuff later.

Oh and on a bitchier front, after waiting for what has seemed like forever for a new issue of UXF, #20 was fucking terrible. The writing itself was great but man FUCK this art! Everybody has stretchy, bendy, rubbernecks. It's totally fucking distracting and awful. I heard Greg Tocchini is normally a pretty good artist, but what the fuck happened to this book? Seriously everyone looks like roided out gorillas. Literally the first bad issue of UXF and painful because it was totally avoidable.
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics