Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Simon Dark

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 8th, 2009 @ 5:32pm

Has anyone else been reading? I jumped on at issue 10 (bought all the back issues in a flurry) and have been enjoying it immensely. They seem to have given up trying to tie him into the DCU (only a very early appearance of Batman), even though he's based in Gotham. I think I like that. I don't really want to see him drawn in another art style; Scott Hampton's is brilliant.

I don't know how the health of the book is.. I generally don't keep track of sales figures or comic blogs. But it feels niche and I never see people talking about it on forums. I feel like I'm always the last to know when a favorite book gets canceled (like Blue Beetle, and Manhunter - the second time). But from the way the story's going, they seem to be going ahead with it.
Sokkratez

Re: Simon Dark

Postby Blamefulgecko » Mar 8th, 2009 @ 5:42pm

I was lucky enough to be on board day one with Simon Dark. It's something me and my girlfriend really enjoy cracking open. I agree that being set in Gotham but being left to do as he will is something I like about the comic.

I'm not sure how popular it is but I like it!
Blamefulgecko

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 10th, 2009 @ 1:18am

Just read the solicitation of #18. Apparently it's the final issue.

Crap. See? I'm always the last to know, it comes out this week :(
Sokkratez

Postby LiQuid » Mar 12th, 2009 @ 11:02pm

Just finished this. It had some neat moments, but it got a little silly and convoluted with the cultists there at the end of that first arc. Feels like it could have really gone places had they continued it, but as it is, it was pretty neat looking, fun at times, and I'm glad they gave it a decent send off in the last issue.
LiQuid

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 12th, 2009 @ 11:39pm

That stuff was definitely weird, but I felt like it was going some place. I wonder after what issue they knew they were canceled?
Sokkratez

Postby LiQuid » Mar 13th, 2009 @ 2:17am

Yeah, that last confrontation was really rushed and anticlimactic.
LiQuid

Postby Sokkratez » Mar 21st, 2009 @ 5:34pm

What a fast (and beautiful - I frakking love this art) ending. I miss Simon already :(
Sokkratez

Forum Statistics