Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

DC Comics now in other digital stores

Postby Quillon » Nov 8th, 2012 @ 12:13pm

DC Comics now in Kindle, Nook, iPad stores.

The beginning of the end for Comixology?
Quillon

Re: DC Comics now in other digital stores

Postby LiQuid » Nov 8th, 2012 @ 12:14pm

Hahaha, no.
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Nov 8th, 2012 @ 1:15pm

For once, I agree with LiQuid. The only way to significantly cut into ComiXology's dominance would be a) cheaper prices (those are dictated by the publishers, however) or b) DRM-free offerings (which won't happen anytime soon). Other than that, I don't see how any other store could catch up with that early lead.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby LiQuid » Nov 8th, 2012 @ 1:28pm

Imagine cheap AND DRM free comics. What a fucking world that would be. Digital comics right now are super fucked but it's all we got.
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Nov 8th, 2012 @ 11:23pm

I would probably actually stop buying most of my stuff in print. I just cannot accept that if I'd lose all my books if Comixology ever breaks for whatever reason. Sure, it's not going to happen in the next 5 years (probably), but what about the next 20 years? You can still read your books from the 90s, just imagine you'd have to buy all that over again because your LCS went out of business. You probably couldn't even get all the stuff you have now.
DerBonk

Postby kenzo » Nov 9th, 2012 @ 3:55am

DerBonk wrote:I would probably actually stop buying most of my stuff in print. I just cannot accept that if I'd lose all my books if Comixology ever breaks for whatever reason.
That's why god created the concept of "backups." Also, "piracy." Buying digital is honestly, a lot safer way of securing your collection versus physical copies. If your physical copy eats it for whatever reason (fire, dog, etc.), your one and only issue is gone and you've gotta buy it again. If your HDD crashes, that DVD-R you made should still work just fine.
kenzo

Postby DerBonk » Nov 9th, 2012 @ 4:37am

See, that's why DRM-free digital is awesome and digital stuff (doesn't matter what it is) with DRM sucks. You can backup all your Comixology books, if their DRM servers go down, you will not only never be able to download them again, but probably also unable to read them. There have been several cases where Wal-Mart or Microsoft wanted to shut-down their DRM servers, which would have left a lot of people with unplayable music files. Sure, they didn't or at least postponed it, but they are also giant companies and did not go broke. On top of that, what if comixology never develops an app for the iPad 25? Are you going to keep legacy hardware for your books? What if that breaks down? As long a they use proprietary DRM formats, you will always have to deal with these issues somewhere down the road.
DerBonk

Postby Quillon » Nov 9th, 2012 @ 11:43am

kenzo wrote:That's why god created the concept of "backups." Also, "piracy." Buying digital is honestly, a lot safer way of securing your collection versus physical copies. If your physical copy eats it for whatever reason (fire, dog, etc.), your one and only issue is gone and you've gotta buy it again. If your HDD crashes, that DVD-R you made should still work just fine.

That's true until that file format is no longer supported. Then you (at best) get to spend time upgrading all your digital content to a newer format.

I have zero confidence that digital formats supported today will still be supported 20 years from now (even things like MP3 and PDF), beyond plain ASCII text.

Oh, and DVD-Rs (1) don't last forever (writable digital media decays over time, though I'm not sure what their lifespans are), and (2) are pretty clearly on their way out, just like floppy drives disappeared a decade ago. 10 years from now I bet the only way you'll be able to read a DVD-R on your computer (unless it's a computer with such a drive that you've carefully kept working since today) will be to buy an external drive from a specialty manufacturer.
Quillon

Postby kenzo » Nov 9th, 2012 @ 11:18pm

Quillon wrote:That's true until that file format is no longer supported. Then you (at best) get to spend time upgrading all your digital content to a newer format.

I have zero confidence that digital formats supported today will still be supported 20 years from now (even things like MP3 and PDF), beyond plain ASCII text.

Oh, and DVD-Rs (1) don't last forever (writable digital media decays over time, though I'm not sure what their lifespans are), and (2) are pretty clearly on their way out, just like floppy drives disappeared a decade ago. 10 years from now I bet the only way you'll be able to read a DVD-R on your computer (unless it's a computer with such a drive that you've carefully kept working since today) will be to buy an external drive from a specialty manufacturer.
1.) So, when exactly are .jpgs going out of style?
B.) Without being sealed and/or kept in places that are temperature and humidity controlled, comics will degrade too. Hell, some modern comics degrade (smudge, wrinkle) by just touching them for the first time. Saying that data will degrade is a B.S. argument - especially when you can simply migrate your data if you're worried, or invest in archival quality writable disks that will last for 50+ years.
Q.) That's also why I said:
kenzo wrote:Also, "piracy."
I have no qualms pirating something I've already bought, and either should anyone else. It's easier/more convenient than making your own backups, and they already have your money so it's not stealing.
kenzo

Postby DerBonk » Nov 11th, 2012 @ 4:55am

kenzo wrote:1.) So, when exactly are .jpgs going out of style?
B.) Without being sealed and/or kept in places that are temperature and humidity controlled, comics will degrade too. Hell, some modern comics degrade (smudge, wrinkle) by just touching them for the first time. Saying that data will degrade is a B.S. argument - especially when you can simply migrate your data if you're worried, or invest in archival quality writable disks that will last for 50+ years.

1.) Probably at the point where we do not care about compression because bandwidth and storage space have become non-issues. Or maybe once a way better file format comes along. I'm not saying you won't have some program to open these, but there are lots of file formats today that you have to get specialty software to open. Still, you didn't say anything about DRM and so far, yes, most legally acquired digital comics have DRM and you can't even really access the basic files. So, when is Comixology's proprietary DRM-infested file format going out of style? The second Comixology decides that it does, goes broke or DRM-free comics by another seller come along. And then you are stuck with worthless heaps of encrypted nothing.

B.) DVDs/CDs degrade MUCH faster than paper does. You exaggerate hugely, yes, storing paper for all eternity is impossible, but just in a simple bag with a plain backing board, it will hold up much better than a DVD-R. My early self-burned DVDs and CDs have been giving in for years already, but I can still read all my childhood comics, even though I just threw them in a box somewhere and never treated them well (which I did with the DVDs, store them, in a case, in a box, dry, dark and warm). Sure, buy some archival quality blanks (or some tape if that's what your into), but that's just a ridiculous argument, you could also buy some archival quality sleeves and boards. And even still, this is just a side argument, Quillon is absolutely right, how are you going to play that DVD disc, plug-in that USB drive in the future? Can you play Betamax tape? VHS even? What about Super-8? Or Schellack? How about a SCSI drive? Your ZIP floppies? You at least have to buy new hardware for that and even then it might be difficult. Yes, transferring the data to newer and newer storage devices prevents this issue, but then you are back at square one with the file format as well.

kenzo wrote:Q.) That's also why I said:
kenzo wrote:Also, "piracy."
I have no qualms pirating something I've already bought, and either should anyone else. It's easier/more convenient than making your own backups, and they already have your money so it's not stealing.

I do have qualms. It is still illegal. End of story. If you have to resort to illegal deeds to really own what you've bought already, I am not going to buy into that. Paper has no DRM and I don't have to do anything illegal to put it into a storage box.
DerBonk

Forum Statistics