Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The "WTF, DC?!" thread!

Postby LiQuid » May 18th, 2013 @ 1:43am

Really pissed about Demon Knights.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 6th, 2013 @ 12:39pm

GL#20 was like a triumph of comics. GL#21 is everything that's wrong with comics. I wish I'd never read it.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 6th, 2013 @ 9:17pm

Did you catch the total misunderstanding of how the Green Lantern power batteries work? How about transforming Larfleeze into a generic villain? What in gods name is DC thinking.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Jun 6th, 2013 @ 10:02pm

Oh my goodness, do I need to keep reading!? That sounds amazebad!!!!
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 6th, 2013 @ 10:32pm

Master Higgins wrote:Did you catch the total misunderstanding of how the Green Lantern power batteries work? How about transforming Larfleeze into a generic villain? What in gods name is DC thinking.
So, how do power batteries work? Sometimes they make it sound like they tap directly into the central power battery, sometimes they make it seem like they're a finite resource that need recharging as well; they just hold a bajillion times what a ring holds. And the GLC arc at the beginning of the N52 about how power batteries are farmed on some weird alien planet? Whatevs. If it's the direct tapping thing, it's not really a big issue if they're dead - since the central power battery is dead too. But it's a grey area to me at least.

Larfleeze is kind of a generic villain, but him bum-rushing Oa out of nowhere, for no reason was poorly executed. It's painfully obvious that all this issue was, was setup for each offshoot GL book to shake hands and go their separate ways. It was just dumb. Nothing made sense and everything was just an aimless retread of old ground. How many times in the last 9 years have we seen Hal Jordan on Oa with the central battery under assault? And out of the triumph of the First Lantern, Carol is mad at Hal... why? They didn't even attempt to show a honeymoon period or time of transition, it was directly back to the status quo in a jolt that was awkward and stupefying.

The only thing different is Carol refusing to give up her ring... what? She spent the last nine years (probably more for all I know; never read anything pre-Johns with GL) wanting nothing to do with the Star Sapphires, and only reluctantly (usually for Hal's sake) putting on the pink bikinis. This just doesn't jive at all.

Honestly, I wish I never read GL21. I wish they'd let Hal chill out for a couple of years and had the core GL title go on hiatus for a while so that the end of Johns's run would have had more impact. Now it just feels cheapened.

And even if they didn't want to do the right thing, which was to give readers some breathing room, let the Johns ending feel like it had a little finality to it, and not force a writer to have to follow up that epic finale - they could have gone in so many more interesting directions. One of Hal's defining features has always been his busted love life - what if we got to see something different? Him teaming up with Carol and them trying to make it work and have a stable relationship while commanding their lantern corps? There's a billion different and interesting angles you could come from, like the rest of the GLC not trusting a Star Sapphire or having her be so close to their leader, or Hal having to deal with not wanting to protect Carol all the time while in battle. But nope, we're right back at dumbsville for no reason whatsoever.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jun 6th, 2013 @ 10:35pm

LiQuid wrote:Oh my goodness, do I need to keep reading!? That sounds amazebad!!!!
It honestly isn't anything even getting that upset about. It's not like some kind of epic Rob Liefeld catastrophe where it's so fucking bad that it becomes entertaining just to laugh at how bad it is. It's just a blown opportunity, and distressing/sad to see what was one of DC's best books turn into something thoroughly mediocre and skip-worthy.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 7th, 2013 @ 12:50pm

kenzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Did you catch the total misunderstanding of how the Green Lantern power batteries work? How about transforming Larfleeze into a generic villain? What in gods name is DC thinking.
So, how do power batteries work? Sometimes they make it sound like they tap directly into the central power battery, sometimes they make it seem like they're a finite resource that need recharging as well; they just hold a bajillion times what a ring holds. And the GLC arc at the beginning of the N52 about how power batteries are farmed on some weird alien planet? Whatevs. If it's the direct tapping thing, it's not really a big issue if they're dead - since the central power battery is dead too. But it's a grey area to me at least.

The batteries never need to recharge. They're connected to the main power battery on Oa through some sort of dimensional energy rift. If the main battery is dead, the personal lanterns won't work, but they never need to be recharged.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Walzo » Jun 9th, 2013 @ 3:05pm

> DC mocks Marvel for the whole Point One thing, and then does it a year later.
> DC puts out 16 Bat Titles, replacing some other comics during Villains month.
> We need more darkness in the DC Universe. Let's make villains month.
> Let's lose more writers off of great books.
> Makes every comic during Villains month $3.99 and adds a 3D gimmick to it.
> Decides that we need more Batman and Superman titles.

Damn it DC.
Walzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 9th, 2013 @ 5:33pm

How much more will it take for some of these DC nutjobs to start admitting that they're no better than Marvel?

If Marvel cancelled every single one of my comics for a month and replaced them with one shots centered on villains, that would be the last month I read Marvel comics.
LiQuid

Postby Walzo » Jun 9th, 2013 @ 5:50pm

LiQuid wrote:How much more will it take for some of these DC nutjobs to start admitting that they're no better than Marvel?

If Marvel cancelled every single one of my comics for a month and replaced them with one shots centered on villains, that would be the last month I read Marvel comics.

Not even that, what if instead of having a villain related to the comic you were reading, it was instead a Spider-Man villain?
Walzo

Postby Walzo » Jun 19th, 2013 @ 12:23pm

Good fucking job DC.

BECAUSE WE NEEDED MORE BATMAN CROSSOVERS

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/18/ ... -and-more/
Walzo

Postby kenzo » Jun 19th, 2013 @ 1:41pm

Not really a big deal, IMO. Also, does this mean it'll be an event crossover? Or just those characters showing up in Year Zero? Because if it's just the latter, that's fine.

On different news, they're getting the guy who wrote out Injustice to take over for Earth 2. That's a pretty good fit, IMO.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 11th, 2013 @ 3:44pm

Does anyone want to talk about how Trinity War and JL#22 sucks? Because they suck. When Madame Xanadu monologues and asks in a very meta way for the reader "WHAT IS THE TRINITY WAR!?" I just about threw my computer across the room.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 18th, 2013 @ 4:51am

New issue of JLA did a lot to rectify the stupidity of JL#22. But the latest issue of New Guardians? Please don't have Carol Ferris hook up with Kyle Rayner.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 18th, 2013 @ 5:29am

kenzo wrote:New issue of JLA did a lot to rectify the stupidity of JL#22. But the latest issue of New Guardians? Please don't have Carol Ferris hook up with Kyle Rayner.

What is going on @ DC. :o
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 18th, 2013 @ 5:40am

I don't know. But just months after the end of Geoff Johns incredible run to GL, with an epic epilogue showing Hal finally settling down with Carol, we get this stupid bullshit. The GL part of DC went from being AAA to grade F in an astonishingly short amount of time.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 31st, 2013 @ 3:57pm

I don't understand Batman Inc. Or why Higgins likes it.

Spoiler: show
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Aug 23rd, 2013 @ 11:18am

LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Aug 23rd, 2013 @ 11:56am

LiQuid wrote:DC really outdoing themselves.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/23/ ... ff-lemire/
I'm not surprised to see JLA rebranded, since halfway into trinity war, all the JL-teams have basically dissolved and the books are still retain their titles in name only. But the choice of a Canadian team is pretty weird, but not unprecedented (Alpha Flight says hi).
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Aug 28th, 2013 @ 5:08pm

This isn't really a "WTF, DC!?" as it is a "WTF, Comics!?" thing, but man. I'm getting really really tired of big events being leaked, hyped, and spoiled months in advance. It looks a lot like Forever Evil will be an event with Earth 3, but I know about this way too early. I shouldn't even see the name "Forever Evil". When you know what's going to happen weeks in advance, it spoils all the fun. American comics are the worst.
kenzo

Postby DukeTogo » Aug 28th, 2013 @ 7:44pm

I haven't read this week's Justice League yet, but I'm feeling like this might be the end of my DC readership, at least for the time being. The entire Trinity War event has done nothing for me, and I'm not liking the prospects for Forever Evil or Villains' Month. I may continue to read Batman and Green Arrow, but I think I'm done with the rest of the line for now, but I feel like I'm just going through the motions on the other DC stuff I'm reading at this point.
DukeTogo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Sep 5th, 2013 @ 6:11am

God damn it DC, I understated you want a pretty high level of control in the goings on of your books, but let the creators have do some of what they want. It seems like you let Brian Azzarelo do what he wants on Wonder Woman with little interference, why not let others.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/05/ ... ie-sawyer/
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Sep 5th, 2013 @ 7:30am

A great comic that is fucked now.
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Sep 5th, 2013 @ 8:40am

This is just completely unbelievably stupid. I'm so glad I'm off all but one DC book (except some Vertigo, but they don't seem to have these issues anyway). I'll continue to read Animal Man, because Lemire writes it so perfectly, but only until it becomes part of some big stupid event or they alienate Lemire as well.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby LiQuid » Sep 5th, 2013 @ 9:13am

You know what, in thinking about it, Batwoman was never really great for its writing, so maybe now that JHW is walking off of this that will get him involved in something else that I will enjoy reading more. I do like the Batwoman character tho, so hopefully she gets used somewhere by a better writer. What's Rucka been up to lately?
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 5th, 2013 @ 9:30am

Not working for Marvel or DC.

I think this broke me.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Sep 5th, 2013 @ 10:30am

I'm sure DC could wave a couple dollars under Rucka's nose to get him to come write some Batwomanz again but they won't. Too bad. I'm sure there will be a new Batman or Justice League of Djibouti comic out in a few months to compensate for this tragic loss.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 5th, 2013 @ 11:14am

This is something that they'll rectify pretty fast just like what happened with Batgirl. Seems like it's the only way to get to do what you want at DC - make a big shitstorm of it publically and ride a wave of public outrage to your destination. It's totally ass-backwards and a fucking stupid way to run your company, but whatever.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Sep 5th, 2013 @ 12:26pm

Nah, JHW3 doesn't have a vagina and nobody gives a fuck about gay rights outside of gay people so DC is pretty safe on this play.
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Sep 7th, 2013 @ 12:00am

LiQuid wrote:You know what, in thinking about it, Batwoman was never really great for its writing, so maybe now that JHW is walking off of this that will get him involved in something else that I will enjoy reading more. I do like the Batwoman character tho, so hopefully she gets used somewhere by a better writer. What's Rucka been up to lately?

You're right. Hopefully Williams lands a nice book at Image, where he can really go all out. As to Rucka: I don't think so. Batwoman isn't a top tier title, even if it is selling relatively well. Plus, after this fiasco, why would Rucka want to work for DC, unless the offer him ungodly amounts of money (which they probably can't, not for Batwoman)? And he's up to Lazarus, for example, which has been nothing but pure excellence and if you're not reading it, you are seriously missing out. No joke, Lazarus is absolutely perfect.

LiQuid wrote:Nah, JHW3 doesn't have a vagina and nobody gives a fuck about gay rights outside of gay people so DC is pretty safe on this play.

While I would vehemently disagree, that's not what it's about anyway. It's about working conditions and respect for the creators. I bet even if they offered JHW to come back, he'd at least be reluctant to do it, DC has a clear track record now, at least with the DCU titles. What would stop him from doing some creator-owned stuff and making some real, long-term money? His name is big enough and his style is unique. It'd simply make sense.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics