Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

What is the point of pandering to the internet?

Postby SynysterBear » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 4:40pm

With some of the newer, bigger titles (the Batumblr books, THOR etc) being treated like some sort of crusade against 'traditional' comic book readers, I just have to ask what is the fucking point?

Surely there know that it won't sell and no one will give 2 shits in 4 issues time....?
Kenzo is a tumblrina.

http://i.imgur.com/Hc86Cdi.jpg
SynysterBear

Re: What is the point of pandering to the internet?

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 4:56pm

People have been overestimating the internet for a long time. Anybody else remember Snakes on a Plane? Sure *I* was there day 1 but my theater was far from packed.

I think it's great if comics want to branch out into girl and/or kid friendly fare but as Higgins points out time and again, comics are the realm of the fat, old, male losers. Comics needing a specialty retailer to reach readers is a problem IMO and it should probably stop. I know there's a long load of shit behind comic distribution but the fact that you can only get them in some tens of thousands of outlets in the entire country is problematic, especially because they are so unfriendly to chicks and kids. Maybe once comics go full digital and begin to price accordingly, The Internet will finally be able to jump on board like they did with music on iTunes instead of just getting all their shit directly off of Pirate Bay.

Let's face it just like with video games' retailers, comic book retailers and a handful of vocal, worthless nerds that prize their physical media are holding the entire medium back from reaching its full potential in the digital space.
LiQuid

Postby SynysterBear » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 6:01pm

LiQuid wrote:People have been overestimating the internet for a long time. Anybody else remember Snakes on a Plane? Sure *I* was there day 1 but my theater was far from packed.

I think it's great if comics want to branch out into girl and/or kid friendly fare but as Higgins points out time and again, comics are the realm of the fat, old, male losers. Comics needing a specialty retailer to reach readers is a problem IMO and it should probably stop. I know there's a long load of shit behind comic distribution but the fact that you can only get them in some tens of thousands of outlets in the entire country is problematic, especially because they are so unfriendly to chicks and kids. Maybe once comics go full digital and begin to price accordingly, The Internet will finally be able to jump on board like they did with music on iTunes instead of just getting all their shit directly off of Pirate Bay.

Let's face it just like with video games' retailers, comic book retailers and a handful of vocal, worthless nerds that prize their physical media are holding the entire medium back from reaching its full potential in the digital space.

Thank you for the well written and thought out answer.
Kenzo is a tumblrina.

http://i.imgur.com/Hc86Cdi.jpg
SynysterBear

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 6:41pm

Every comic DC makes attempts to pander to some demographic. This is just DC groping in the dark trying to become more relevant by slightly shifting priority to who it panders to. It's not the worst thing in the world, and it really affects nobody.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 6:44pm

They make books that I don't care about into books that I actually might hear of at least. So there's that going for them.
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 7:39pm

That's true, it's not like they're fucking with the sanctity of a book or anything, it's fucking Gail Shitmone's Batgirl. Who was even reading that trash to begin with?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 15th, 2014 @ 7:56pm

LiQuid wrote:That's true, it's not like they're fucking with the sanctity of a book or anything, it's fucking Gail Shitmone's Batgirl. Who was even reading that trash to begin with?
It's not even a Gail Simone issue. It's a N52 issue. None of this shit is sacred. Honestly, this is what they should have done with her to begin with, but they were too cowardly to change up the Bat-Family too much.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 4:27am

This whole uproar over Sam Wilson being the new Captain America is very weird to me. In my eyes, it isn't important that the new Captain in black, but the fact that it is Sam Wilson. Hasn't there already been a black Captain America?
CrossXhunteR

Postby jw_6179 » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 5:01am

Seems like a good a place to ask as any... After the "big reveal" on the comic book show the View, does this mean Thor is an official Disney princess?

The thing I don't get about the internet pander is people on Tumblr don't buy shit. At best, they just torrent it. But generally, they just share something they think is "so awesome" and that's it. Yeah, this is not gonna be painfully dated in like, 4 months.

I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter all that much to me cause I never really read either white Cap, so I won't read black Cap, Batgirl is one of those books I keep saying "You know, I should read that someday", and I'm so far behind on Thor it isn't even funny, but urg. Definitely makes me worry they'll try to make something I do read "fresh and hip".
jw_6179

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 5:14am

Cap is a boring and shitty character that's super generic and a poor man's Superman. Nobody should be upset with him getting a change. Black Cap should just whip his big black dick out onto the table in his first issue and be like "suck on this, haters."

You guys talk about these comics selling, and honestly, this isn't what it's about. Marvel is Disney now. And comics are just an idea farm for movies and merch - where the real money is at. Its just like how nobody in Japan cares about anime TV ratings, is all just about merch, DVD, and comic sales. Tumblr kids don't need to buy gender-bent Thor comics. But if this raises the characters profile and gets people to buy more Thor merch then it's a win for Disney. And tbh, I'm actually interested in this change and it might be the first time in decades that I pick up a filthy marvel title.
kenzo

Postby jw_6179 » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 5:53am

I guess I just don't see how this will help their marketing/merch all that much either. Does anyone really believe that, say, the next Thor video game they put out will be anybody but "classic" Thor? Or that any merch at all will be made for Batgirl -- old version or revamped hipster Nancy Drew?
jw_6179

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 8:48am

jw_6179 wrote:I guess I just don't see how this will help their marketing/merch all that much either. Does anyone really believe that, say, the next Thor video game they put out will be anybody but "classic" Thor? Or that any merch at all will be made for Batgirl -- old version or revamped hipster Nancy Drew?
If you don't think that the potential for merch from girl-Thor or hipster-Batgirl is nonexistent, I don't really know what to say. Merch isn't just lampshades, expensive pvc dolls, and shit Higgins hates. It's stuff like little kid clothes, plushies, and dolls you buy at Wal-Mart. That kind of stuff makes stupid-levels of profits for those companies. It's been Disney's bread & butter for a long, long time. New Batgirl seems infinitely more marketable for that kind of shit versus Simone's brother-murdering, PTSD-riddled batgirl, and there's a big demand for that kind of stuff. And Girl-Thor? This movie would obliterate the box-office:
Spoiler: show

I mean like, Titanic/Avatar levels of destruction.

Also, besides that, Lady-Thor seems like a pretty clear response to DC bringing Wonder Woman into the movie-fold, and Marvel's lack of high-profile ass-kicking heroines.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 8:55am

Neither of these things seem marketable for merch purposes. Marvel and DC make most of their merch bucks off their traditional heroes like Spider Man, Batman, etc. I don't think you're going to see underoos with Ladythor on them any time soon. This is the epitome of internet pandering.
LiQuid

Postby jw_6179 » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 10:04am

kenzo wrote:Also, besides that, Lady-Thor seems like a pretty clear response to DC bringing Wonder Woman into the movie-fold, and Marvel's lack of high-profile ass-kicking heroines.

[Marvel's got waaaaay better options than mucking about with Thor to do that.](http://www.moviecricket.com/wp-content/ ... 4vtkw0.jpg) They're already laying down the framework for the Cosmic stuff this summer, I can't imagine there will be a Guardians of the Galaxy film without the Kree in it, and once that's established you can do Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel. Alien crashes on Earth, Air Force pilot Carol Danvers is there when he dies, somehow this passes his powers/Kree-genetics to her, bam. Origin story, make a movie from there. Sure sure, it's basically Green Lantern, but fuck it.
jw_6179

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 10:17am

1) This isn't Reddit (fixed your link formatting).

2) Who the fuck is that? Everyone knows who Wonder Woman is. I've never even heard of whoever the fuck this is. No Marvel heroine outside of the X-Men has any kind of cachet with the general public. But thanks to the recent movies, everyone knows Thor, so why not gender-bend him? It solves your gender visibility issues and gives you a Wonder Woman clone in one fell swoop. It's also one of those big stories like the Death of Superman that you can splash all over the media.
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:14pm

kenzo wrote:
1) This isn't Reddit (fixed your link formatting).

2) Who the fuck is that?

Yeah who is that?
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:29pm

I don't read any Marvel and I have known who Carol Danvers is for years. You guys are just bad nerds.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:34pm

kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:45pm

I'm not saying she would approach anywhere near Wonder Woman levels of popularity, just that you two should have heard of her. You both listen to a podcast that has actively discussed this character on multiple episodes.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:46pm

Oh man you just got learned some facts.
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:51pm

I dunno, if you're a nerd and you don't know who Ms Marvel is you're pretty bad at it. She's hardly a household name the way Wonder Woman is, but she has never been the star of a hit primetime TV show either. It's kind of too bad that Marvel doesn't have any super mainstream female characters because there's no real way to create one nowadays. Making Thor a chick isn't the way. Wonder Woman has put in work to be as popular as she is now, and I wouldn't even say she's THAT popular, compared to a lot of other comic properties.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:56pm

LiQuid, I thought you would have been all behind this gender-bending, since you would totally fuck a girl-LiQuid.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:58pm

I've never heard of "Carol Danvers" but if someone said Ms. Marvel to me before, I probably thought they were talking about one of Billy Batson's friends. Because everyone knows DC's Captain Marvel > Marvel's.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 12:59pm

Oh, you mean Shazam?
CrossXhunteR

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 1:00pm

kenzo wrote:I've never heard of "Carol Danvers" but if someone said Ms. Marvel to me before, I probably thought they were talking about one of Billy Batson's friends. Because everyone knows DC's Captain Marvel > Marvel's.

This, I've heard of ms marvel but not carol Danvers, if someone said Arthur curry it would take me a minute where if someone said aquaman I would know instantly.
kevinep3

Postby CrossXhunteR » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 1:02pm

kevinep3 wrote:
kenzo wrote:I've never heard of "Carol Danvers" but if someone said Ms. Marvel to me before, I probably thought they were talking about one of Billy Batson's friends. Because everyone knows DC's Captain Marvel > Marvel's.

This, I've heard of ms marvel but not carol Danvers, if someone said Arthur curry it would take me a minute where if someone said aquaman I would know instantly.

Because you are bad nerds. I bet you only learned the name Oliver Queen after watching Arrow like some sort of pleb.
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 1:02pm

Did you know that if you search "Captain Marvel" in Google, you still get DC at the top of the search results versus Marvel?
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 1:03pm

I am an awesome nerd, my expertise just lies in other areas of nerddom than yours.
kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 1:05pm

No I learned that shit from justice league cartoon.
kevinep3

Postby jw_6179 » Jul 17th, 2014 @ 3:03pm

And regular people didn't know who Iron Man was in 2007. He was a B-tier hero until they did a movie about him. Thor? Maybe they heard of the guy in a class in high school, but they didn't know he was a long-running character in comic books. Nick Fury? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. But they do know.

People know characters who've been on TV or in a movie in the past.

The Incredible Hulk was always David Banner, the guy who turned in to a painted Lou Ferrigno and walked down a road to sad music.

Batman was only "known" in the 1970s and 1980s because of the Adam West show, with his bat-belt and shark repellent.

If I ask my dad to tell me something about Spider-Man, odds are he'll sing an off-tune rendition of the cartoon from when he was a kid.

And Wonder Woman? People don't know shit about Wonder Woman. What they can tell you is that Lynda Carter was a pretty foxy chick for the 1970s in that itty bitty costume. MAYBE her invisible jet, if they are around 35-45.

And here's one for you: How the hell do most people know who the fuck Blade is? Talk about a Q-list character, but he's recognizable ("Oh shit! Didn't he get in trouble with the IRS?!") because he had a successful film almost 20 years ago. Holy shit we're old.

If they do it right, Captain Marvel / Carol Danvers would be boosted from "obscure niche" to well known in no time. I'd put a lot more money on her catching on in popularity than Peter "Star Lord" Quill ever will, and he's got a movie come out in 2 weeks. She's a good character with a set of "powers" that people would want to see on the big screen, and is properly "inspirational", if Marvel wants to expand their female demographic. And a damned bit less of an abrupt change to their film series than Lady Thor.
jw_6179

Next
Forum Statistics