Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Comics for 9 year old step-daughter.

Postby WestsideEddie » May 6th, 2015 @ 6:49pm

She's into the Avengers movies, The Flash TV show, and Teen Titans Go. Thought about letting her try the flash comic but then I remembered that the first couple of arcs were all about being trapped in the speed force and time travel. Thought that would but a little too much. Never read any of the Teen Titans books but from what I've seen they aren't really like the show. Is there anything you all can recommend? Thanks in advance.

Wes
In a picture perfect scenery. I've become a stick figure illustration.
WestsideEddie

Re: Comics for 9 year old step-daughter.

Postby LiQuid » May 6th, 2015 @ 7:30pm

Modern Avengers runs are probably too convoluted for little kids. How about like Busiek and Perez's Avengers Assembled? I remember that having much more simple storylines and Perez's art is very clean and good. Did she like GotG? Skottie Young's Rocket Raccoon might be up her alley, but I haven't read it so I'd check it out first and make sure it's PG. Uhm.. Spider Man Loves Mary Jane. Some of the art team that did Runaways. It's younger skewing Spidey stories focused on high school romance.

I dunno shit about Flash comics. The first few arcs of the New 52 one were not the best for a little kid to jump into but it got a little easier once the Rogues and Grodd showed up. It's probably a good run to look at, even if you skip the first trade or two.
LiQuid

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 7th, 2015 @ 4:31am

A few primer questions. Does it have to be superheroes? Do you trust your kid with the internet enough to read webcomics? Are you very protective when it comes to "age-relevant" media?
CrossXhunteR

Postby LiQuid » May 7th, 2015 @ 4:45am

Don't read Cross' web comic suggestions. Web comics aren't real comics.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 7th, 2015 @ 10:39am

Just give your kid a fat stack of Calvin and Hobbes and call it a day. I bought the whole complete collection in hardcover for like $40 a while back.
kenzo

Postby CrossXhunteR » May 18th, 2015 @ 11:40am

The complete Calvin and Hobbes is currently a lightning deal on Amazon. I ordered one just to have it, even though I have never read Calvin and Hobbes before.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1449433251/ref ... 2072380842
CrossXhunteR

Postby kenzo » May 18th, 2015 @ 12:38pm

Calvin & Hobbes is easily the greatest newspaper comic strip to have ever existed, with The Far Side coming in a distant second.
kenzo

Forum Statistics