Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby kwoktalk » Jun 26th, 2009 @ 12:34pm

Info wrote:Does anyone know if the Lovelorn TPB is the beginning of Matt Fraction's run on Uncanny X-men? Is that a good starting point for the main series?

Yeah that's the first point where Fraction was running the show. If you haven't been reading Uncanny before, you should be fine, but if you want you can try the Manifest Destiny trade to give you the set up of them moving to SF.

http://www.amazon.com/Manifest-Destiny- ... 757&sr=1-7

Not necessary at all, but if you want to, it's ok.
kwoktalk

Postby Jaebird » Jun 27th, 2009 @ 7:58am

What are some good Alan Moore recommendations?

I already have Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 1 & 2, and The Killing Joke.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby exwingzero » Jun 27th, 2009 @ 11:53am

Jaebird wrote:What are some good Alan Moore recommendations?

I already have Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 1 & 2, and The Killing Joke.

You need to read his Swamp Thing. It's amazingly good. As well as his stories of the DC universe. But Swamp Thing most of all.
If someone ask if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!
exwingzero

Postby Jaebird » Jul 18th, 2009 @ 2:09pm

Is Power Girl any good? I know it's only two issues in, but she intrigued me from JSA.
Jaebird

Postby Atomsmasher » Jul 19th, 2009 @ 3:39pm

I've been hearing about the Green Lantern and how amazing some of the comics are, can someone point me in the right direction of where to start with this hero. I'd prefer the more modern stuff, because I'm not a huge fan of old style artwork. Is there any good collection with the origin stories specifically?
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby Jaebird » Jul 19th, 2009 @ 3:51pm

Atomsmasher wrote:I've been hearing about the Green Lantern and how amazing some of the comics are, can someone point me in the right direction of where to start with this hero. I'd prefer the more modern stuff, because I'm not a huge fan of old style artwork. Is there any good collection with the origin stories specifically?

There is the new Secret Origin story that retells Hal Jordan's beginnings in a more modern setting, as opposed to it being retold in DC: The New Frontier, where it's between the 1950's and 1960's. I started to collect the issues, but stopped because of a temporary job issue. It's pretty good. It also ties in to what they're doing now with one of it's antagonists.
Jaebird

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 22nd, 2009 @ 8:37am

Atomsmasher wrote:I've been hearing about the Green Lantern and how amazing some of the comics are, can someone point me in the right direction of where to start with this hero. I'd prefer the more modern stuff, because I'm not a huge fan of old style artwork. Is there any good collection with the origin stories specifically?

I'd start with Rebirth, and go from there. Geoff Johns' entire run has been amazing.

Rebirth
No Fear
Revenge of the Green Lanterns
Wanted: Hal Jordan
Sinestro Corps Vol 1-3
Secret Origins
Rage of the Red Lanterns

...and that should bring you up to speed. The high points are Rebirth and Sinestro Corps, if you wanna just check those out first. Blackest Night is the big story arc going on now. #1 has a lot of exposition, good for first time readers.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Atomsmasher » Jul 22nd, 2009 @ 9:03pm

Awesome, I'll check that stuff out. Thanks guys!
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval cannot be adult themselves. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Atomsmasher

Postby exwingzero » Jul 23rd, 2009 @ 12:34pm

Also try out the green lanturn corp. I've only read it in conjunction with an event (ie sinestro corp. and blackest night) but it's really good.
exwingzero

Postby Ilovenerdygirls » Jul 28th, 2009 @ 5:54am

I wonder if anyone here has read Cerebus? So sad what happened to that book, which started out great, got sublimely amazingly awesome from around issue 26 through 180 or so, then completely jumped the rails and became a jumbled incomprehensible mess towards its utlimate end at issue 300. I loved that comic for so many years, and it kept me in the comics scene for a long time as I would go into the local shop every month for only that book. For those that are interested in checking it out, there are easily collectible "phonebooks" that you can still find in most stores. It's a series about a talking Aardvark, who starts out as kind of a Conan the Barbarian parody and moves quickly into very smart social and political satire, with a great group of cool characters and very funny parodies of mainstream comics thrown in the mix as well. I'd highly recommend the first half of the series for sure, and then the second half just for the experience of watching a supremely talented writer and artist (Dave Sim, the creator)completely self destruct and fall into a trap of self indulgence and perhaps even mental illness.
Ilovenerdygirls

Postby Jaebird » Jul 28th, 2009 @ 5:12pm

Does anyone know when League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 3: Century will be coming out in TPB? I completely missed out on the issues, but I would prefer to have it as a trade.
Jaebird

Postby AJR » Jul 28th, 2009 @ 10:48pm

Uh, I’m pretty sure they’ve only released the first chapter at this stage, so you haven’t actually missed out on much. It should still be fairly easy to find in stores. The third chapter won’t be released till next year (at least) so you’ve got a while to wait for the trade.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby Jaebird » Jul 31st, 2009 @ 9:52am

I have a Runaways question.

Is it any good? I'm not a fan of Joss Whedon's work, other than the few episodes of Firefly I've seen and Serenity.
Jaebird

Postby exwingzero » Aug 4th, 2009 @ 10:22am

well Joss Whedon does take over the Runaways after Brian K. Vaughn is done. It's very good (both the runs). I dropped it when it got to Terry Moore, It was a good ride. I would recommend getting it in hard cover form, it's just nice and oversized, but test it to see if you like it or not before you drop that kind of money on it. I think the Digest sizes are out of print, so if you start to get them, you may be out of luck. Can anyone verify that?
exwingzero

Postby Jaebird » Aug 4th, 2009 @ 2:03pm

exwingzero wrote:well Joss Whedon does take over the Runaways after Brian K. Vaughn is done. It's very good (both the runs). I dropped it when it got to Terry Moore, It was a good ride. I would recommend getting it in hard cover form, it's just nice and oversized, but test it to see if you like it or not before you drop that kind of money on it. I think the Digest sizes are out of print, so if you start to get them, you may be out of luck. Can anyone verify that?

The comic store I shop at has a ton of the Runaways digests. I usually ask this guy who works there about what books are good, so. I haven't had a recommendation from him turn sour, yet.
Jaebird

Postby exwingzero » Aug 5th, 2009 @ 9:51am

Cool, then you have choices. My shop didn't have all the digests and so I got the oversided. Get whatever is most comfortable to you (but check to see if they have the full run, again I don't know if they stopped making the digests and that would irk me).
exwingzero

Postby Jaebird » Aug 18th, 2009 @ 8:49pm

Are those Wednesday Comics strips worth reading? I'm listening to CGS, and they're talking about the highs and lows of it.

And I remember seeing last week's on the shelf, and what caught my eye was the Element Girl. I tend to look at opposite genders of characters more, because they're more interesting to read. And I thought Metamorpho was a cool character from the Justice League cartoon. Plus, the art was what really got my attention. And the only Neil Gaiman I read was "What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader?"
Jaebird

Postby AJR » Aug 18th, 2009 @ 9:48pm

There are a few strips that just don't do it for me, but overall I think the series has been excellent so far.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby Jaebird » Aug 20th, 2009 @ 7:34am

How was Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk? I read the first two issues back when it first started. I loved how it started (ripped-in-half Wolverine, aside). I kinda spoiled myself about who Ultimate She-Hulk was, but I didn't read further.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » Sep 26th, 2009 @ 7:10pm

I hate to do this, but /bump...
Jaebird

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 3rd, 2009 @ 8:02pm

I gave up and never finished reading it. I heard the art was nice, but the story was so-so.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 9th, 2009 @ 10:22am

Master Higgins wrote:I gave up and never finished reading it. I heard the art was nice, but the story was so-so.

Ha ha, you just described over 60% of superhero comics today, Master Higgins... :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby DerBonk » Oct 9th, 2009 @ 2:45pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:I gave up and never finished reading it. I heard the art was nice, but the story was so-so.

Ha ha, you just described over 60% of superhero comics today, Master Higgins... :lol:

I totally agree. Actually, as I didn't read all that stuff when I was a kid, it's more like 80-90% for me. Even Green Lantern: Rebirth and Sinestro Corp War, both of which I just read recently, only made me think: "Wow, I would have loved that as a kid!" But it's so predictable, so much retconning, deus ex machinas in abundance and just a small bit of interesting concepts. Yes, it was kinda fun to read and the teenage boy inside me was in awe of all the awesome happening and the art is fantastic, but I don't know if I'm willing to spend upwards of 50-60€ to get to Blackest Night, esp. as that might be just the same.

Superhero books I've really loved so far are only Astro City (all of it basically), Marvels (and the first issue of Invincible) and Watchmen. I haven't read nearly enough to offer a proper analysis of the genre, but at the moment I don't think I want to read more superhero stuff besides the rest of Astro City.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby slinkdickens » Oct 13th, 2009 @ 12:31am

I really enjoyed Chris Ware's "Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On Earth" and "The Acme Novelty Library". I'd really like to find another book along those lines, but I just kind of stumbled into that one and have no idea what else is like it.
slinkdickens

Postby Big Pick Zel » Nov 5th, 2009 @ 7:56am

I like gore movies and hyperactive art. I haven't regularly read comics since the local comic book store closed in 1995. I used to be into Spawn, but lay off, I was a kid, I didn't know any better.
Classic vampires are just zombies with more Satan in them.
http://www.cryptocartographer.com
Big Pick Zel

Postby Mikelwho » Nov 6th, 2009 @ 12:28am

http://digitalhalftone.com/wp-content/u ... -72dpi.jpg

Check out "Comfortably Dumb" by Loyd Gant. Highlighting the misadventures of a colony of cannibalistic opossums from Kentucky.

http://digitalhalftone.com/comics/comfo ... mb-page-1/
Mikelwho

Postby Big Pick Zel » Nov 6th, 2009 @ 7:26pm

Hey Mikelwho, quit spamming your webcomic link.
Classic vampires are just zombies with more Satan in them.
http://www.cryptocartographer.com
Big Pick Zel

Postby Tophar » Nov 14th, 2009 @ 6:19pm

I'm pretty much completely new to comics, but I like what I've seen of the flash (mainly based on the Wally West of the animated JLA show). Where would you guys recommend I start to get up to speed with the current flash? Is Wally West portrayed differently in the comics? Is he even the current flash?

I got volume one of the flash "showcase" collection which has a lot of Barry Allen in it and some Wally West as kid flash, I'm probably also going to start the JLA series master Higgins suggested in his first post.
Hope Rides Alone
Tophar

Postby sigh_its » Dec 7th, 2009 @ 4:24pm

I'd highly recommend the Fall of Cthulhu series from Boom, it helps if you have some background on the HP Lovecraft created world but it's been a cracking read so far.
sigh_its

Postby monova » Dec 15th, 2009 @ 1:35pm

Christmas is coming, and I suggested graphic novels as a gift for me, but I need some ideas...

I've read and enjoyed some Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Promethea -- still working on book 5, LoEG), some Miller (both DK novels and Batman: Year 1), the Doom that Came to Gotham, Marvel's 1602. I've read single issues from various lines, but I've never followed a line or lines for a good chunk of time (I end up wiki'ing a lot to get back story for characters or points I don't understand).

(I think I'm really out of the loop, comic-wise: the last series I followed in comic book form was Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet; I started Infinity War, but I don't believe I finished that one.)

Non-comics, I read a lot of sci-fi, horror, and fantasy: right now, I'm working through Sterling, Gibson, Stross, King, Lovecraft, Campbell, Powers, Bester, and Matheson.

I'm gathering the Walking Dead would be a good one to pick up; I wasn't even aware of the 1602 sequels until I wiki'd them a couple of minutes ago, and I haven't heard anyone review them either. Would Sin City be a good graphic novel to get?

(Also, I like the Bros. Hernandez-style of art; how is Love & Rockets as a comic series?)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
monova

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics