Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby Fade2Black » Jun 1st, 2012 @ 1:02am

I just finished reading IDW's Star Trek the Next Generation/Doctor Who crossover issue #1 (Charlie's weekly pick).
J.K. Woodward does a fantastic job of capturing characters' likenesses, and the story, which for this first issue was more heavily weighted toward Who than Trek, managed to stay true to the spirit of the BBC series.

Click on the above image to view a preview of the book's first few pages.
Fade2Black

Postby Fade2Black » Jun 4th, 2012 @ 3:51pm

I've mentioned this title before. The reason I'm re-recommending it is because the publisher announced today that the collected Lackadaisy Cats will be finally be offered in a hardbound edition (and signed to boot).

Tracy Butler's exquisite artwork elevates web comics to a whole new level.
Read the series at: http://www.lackadaisycats.com/archive.php
Click on the image above to pre-order the hardbound edition.
Last edited by Fade2Black on Jun 5th, 2012 @ 11:22am, edited 1 time in total.
Fade2Black

Postby LiQuid » Jun 4th, 2012 @ 6:31pm

Hi, furries.
LiQuid

Postby SuperYuriGagarin » Jun 30th, 2012 @ 6:03pm

If I can break convention and suggest a non western comic can I say Berserk? At least the first 13 volumes. I once passed it off as "some shitty comic the internet won't shut up about" but those first 13 volumes are pretty fantastic.
SuperYuriGagarin

Postby LiQuid » Jul 1st, 2012 @ 1:46am

SuperYuriGagarin wrote:If I can break convention and suggest a non western comic

No, you can't.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jul 26th, 2012 @ 6:08am

I think I'm going to start reading comics again. Do I continue where I left off with Green Lantern(start of Brightest Day) or should I just jump to the DC reboot stuff?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jul 26th, 2012 @ 9:22am

Probably continue where you left off? Since I hear GL in the N52 isn't really a reboot.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jul 28th, 2012 @ 5:36am

Mr_eX wrote:I think I'm going to start reading comics again. Do I continue where I left off with Green Lantern(start of Brightest Day) or should I just jump to the DC reboot stuff?

You didn't really miss anything cool between Brightest Day and the reboot. Just wiki that shit and start with the first New 52 trade.

Also read Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Saga.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 28th, 2012 @ 10:11am

Yeah, GL continues right where it leaves off.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby CyniKill » Aug 3rd, 2012 @ 7:05pm

Recommend me some comics: I'm a huge fan of Scott Pilgrim and Chew, so I'm looking for something quirky and with a bit of an offbeat sense of humour. I haven't been able to find any of those myself, so I've turned here for help.

Besides that, I wouldn't mind recommendations of anything "stand alone". By that, I mean something I can jump into without the knowledge of 50 years worth of history. I've enjoyed most Batman comics, read a couple of Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate X-Men annuals and, more recently, Old Man Logan. I'd probably find anything along those lines enjoyable.

Thanks in advance!
CyniKill

Postby LiQuid » Aug 4th, 2012 @ 12:21am

CyniKill wrote:quirky and with a bit of an offbeat sense of humour.

Skullkickers
Umbrella Academy
Atomic Robo

CyniKill wrote:anything "stand alone"

Batwoman Elegy
Spider Island
Runaways Vol 1 and 2
LiQuid

Postby Lord_Xv » Aug 9th, 2012 @ 4:48pm

Master Higgins wrote:Yeah, GL continues right where it leaves off.

yeah, not real reboots in the lantern lines but there is the new guy
would zombies attack Frankenstein's monster?
Lord_Xv

Postby Fade2Black » Sep 9th, 2012 @ 4:30pm

CyniKill wrote:Recommend me some comics: I'm a huge fan of Scott Pilgrim and Chew, so I'm looking for something quirky and with a bit of an offbeat sense of humour. I haven't been able to find any of those myself, so I've turned here for help.

Besides that, I wouldn't mind recommendations of anything "stand alone". By that, I mean something I can jump into without the knowledge of 50 years worth of history. I've enjoyed most Batman comics, read a couple of Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate X-Men annuals and, more recently, Old Man Logan. I'd probably find anything along those lines enjoyable.

Thanks in advance!

My Faith is Frankie (Vertigo) might appeal to you. It was a four issue self-contained mini-series (originally published in color). I think the title has been traded in a smaller-sized b/w collection, which is a shame for the colors weren't bad.

Much of Will Eisner's works. His New York Stories collection (published by W.W. Norton and Co.) might be a good choice, as would his Contract With God Trilogy. Both of these books contain some emotionally charged stories, some of which can be downright heavy, but a few are lighthearted and might satisfy your offbeat sense of humor request.

Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise often includes offbeat humor. If you like Chew, you might consider giving this series a shot. The first pocketbook offers quite a bit of material for the price, and it's enough material to get a feel for the overall direction of the series (an additional 5 more pocketbooks should you opt to read it all).

On the darker side, is Paul Pope's Batman Year 100. I consider this to be more of a Dark Knight sequel than Miller's DK2 ever was.
The series does contain some occasional dark humor, and it doesn't rely on one knowing the entire history of Batman for one to enjoy it.
Fade2Black

Postby SerpentineZERO » Sep 18th, 2012 @ 5:40pm

Ima give Year 100 and Strangers in Paradise a shot, then
SerpentineZERO

Postby Jordan Phegley » Oct 6th, 2012 @ 6:14pm

Anyone interested in history or just some damn good comics should check out "The Hypo: The Melancholic Young Lincoln" by Noah Van Sciver. It's black and white with some nice R. Crumb inspired art and great writing.
Jordan Phegley

Postby red720 » Oct 14th, 2012 @ 3:02am

Hi, I'm still new here and looking for enablers. I'm thinking about reading Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps going back to Rebirth (which I just finished reading today). I've filled a (as yet hypothetical) shopping basket on Amazon and after the $150 in postage to get this monster box to Australia the 28 paperbacks come to $520. I picked up Rebirth and the first GL volume at my local shop, but they are missing everything else up to the Sinestro War, and when buying this many books I need to save as much as possible.

Are all these collections good? Is anything skipable?
Here is the list:
War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath (Green Lantern Corps)
Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns (Green Lantern (Graphic Novels))
Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors Vol. 1 (Green Lantern (Graphic Novels))
Green Lantern Corps: Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns
Green Lantern: Brightest Day
Brightest Day Vol. 1
Brightest Day Vol. 2
Brightest Day Vol. 3
Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War
Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
Green Lantern, Vol. 2: Revenge of the Green Lanterns
Green Lantern: Wanted - Hal Jordan
Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns
Green Lantern: Agent Orange
Green Lantern: Tales of the Sinestro Corps
Green Lantern Corps Vol. 1: To Be a Lantern
Green Lantern Corps: Ring Quest
Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse
Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps
Blackest Night: Rise of the Black Lanterns
Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol. 2
Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol. 1
Green Lantern Corps: Blackest Night
Green Lantern: Blackest Night
Blackest Night
Green Lantern Corps: The Darker Side Of Green.
Green Lantern: Secret Origin (With a dumb live action cover)

The only thing that I've seen negative reviews for was Green Lantern War Aftermath, and I figure if I'm going this far I may as well finish it.

Basically I just need someone to tell me this is a good idea before I blow half a grand on comic books, and I can't ask my girlfriend because she'll tell me the opposite.

Cheers
red720

Postby LiQuid » Oct 14th, 2012 @ 4:22am

Are the comics good? Yes, they're good. If you're interested in Green Lantern you will be glad you read them. The question you have to ask yourself, and nobody here is going to be able to answer for you, is what else can you do with $500?

If you do pull the trigger (brave man) you could always burn through them and resell them to recoup some cash money. Not sure what kind of reseller markets are available in Aussieland, but I sold a stack of comics I was done with on craigslist for more than I would have gotten from the book store.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 15th, 2012 @ 2:36pm

Literally every GL book published since Rebirth is worth reading. Amazing stuff!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby red720 » Oct 15th, 2012 @ 4:40pm

Thanks Higgins, that's what I was looking for =)
red720

Postby kenzo » Oct 15th, 2012 @ 4:45pm

Master Higgins wrote:Literally every GL book published since Rebirth is worth reading. Amazing stuff!
Does this include offshoots like the Red Lanterns and the New Guardians? Because New Guardians was very hit & miss, and Red Lanterns kind of lost its focus in the beginning of the N52 (which I guess is kinda meta). That said, I'm doing the same thing Red720 plans on doing - I'm almost at the Sinestro Wars and it's pretty awesome so far (though Rebirth is extremely dense with old-ass references that required constant wikipedia-ing).
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Oct 15th, 2012 @ 5:07pm

red720 wrote:Thanks Higgins, that's what I was looking for =)

I wouldn't take spending advice from Higgins, he doesn't know the value of a dollar.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 15th, 2012 @ 5:09pm

And before Higgins can refute that statement with some bullshit I will posit that anyone, and I mean fucking ANYONE, that has ever bought a collectors edition of an MMO has more money than sense.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 15th, 2012 @ 5:13pm

Oh, and like kenzo I took the Green Lantern plunge last year too, but instead of buying all the trades at once I got em as I read em. I made it up to Sinestro Corp War and stalled big time. It's just TOO much Green Lantern all in a row. I'll get back to it for sure, but I can't imagine sitting down and burning through $500 worth of trades in a row from a single series like that. I need to mix it up and move around to different stuff.
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » Oct 15th, 2012 @ 11:24pm

red720 I would have to agree with...

Master Higgins wrote:Literally every GL book published since Rebirth is worth reading. Amazing stuff!

And as for LiQuid's remarks...It's your money spend it on what you want.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 16th, 2012 @ 6:28am

LiQuid wrote:And before Higgins can refute that statement with some bullshit I will posit that anyone, and I mean fucking ANYONE, that has ever bought a collectors edition of an MMO has more money than sense.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So what about someone who has like 8 of them?

I guess it's true, though, that I've read them over a long period of time. Might be a bit much to go through all at once, but I dunno, Johns has been killing it for years on GL. At worse, it's just a fun superhero book. At best, it's some of the best comics published in the last decade.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby red720 » Oct 22nd, 2012 @ 8:35pm

I ended up just getting up to Blackest night, $350 was a much easier pill to swallow. Estimated delivery 5th of December. Just finished No Fear -
Spoiler: show
Although I don't know really anything about Blackest Night, It seems like they were setting up for this with Black Hand way back then - well I guess earlier in Rebirth when his hand was cut off.
Yeah I know "welcome to 8 years ago"
red720

Postby LiQuid » Oct 22nd, 2012 @ 8:47pm

You probably could have got some actual, rad pills for $350 and had a better time. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby red720 » Nov 5th, 2012 @ 11:18pm

Green Lantern Corps is awesome. Just in-case any one was wondering.
red720

Postby red720 » Nov 16th, 2012 @ 6:28pm

I'm up to he Sinestro Corps War in my Green Lantern Johnsathon. I think I might be missing something not having read Infinite Crisis and 52, the Omnibuses for these would look good on my shelf, but I fell like I'm on the edge of a recursive precipice.
Are these weighty tomes important to understand where Henk Henshaw, Superboy Prime and Ion come from? I take it the 52 parallel universes centred on 52 earths on Earth is what the 52 series is about? Should I stop where I am in Sinestro Corps war until I go back or catch up, or is that just stupid?
red720

Postby LiQuid » Nov 16th, 2012 @ 6:47pm

I don't understand the mentality of "something is mentioned in comic x, should I go back and read comic y?" Just because something from a past comic is referenced in a new one doesn't mean you need to go back and read the old one too. You could but how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? I read Sinestro Corps War and I thought there was enough implied and presented information that I wasn't missing out by not knowing the full history of the characters. Sometimes you just have to let go and jump in and not worry about minutiae so much because comics are chock FULL of minutiae and if you start pulling at strings the sweater will unravel. I have no idea how that metaphor is relevant but it sounded cool. Just don't fucking worry about it. Read the shit and use your imagination.
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics