Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby kenzo » Nov 18th, 2012 @ 3:20am

Having just read that shit not very long ago, and with pretty much zero pre-N52 DC comics under my belt, I can say pretty definitively you that you don't need to go back and read that shit. It's totally pointless. If there's a namedrop or reference you don't get, there's something called "the internet" that will help. I did some basic google/wiki searches when I didn't understand who a character was, or what was going on directly before this. That's the most you should need to do.
kenzo

Postby Fade2Black » Jan 5th, 2013 @ 8:08pm

With Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic's Thor: God of Thunder being one of the few bright spots in the Marvel Now lineup (or so I've been told, for I've yet to read it), I thought it might be a good time to recommend a book I have read: Robert Rodi and Esad Ribic's 4-issue mini-series Loki circa 2004.

If you like Ribic's current work on Thor, consider giving his earlier work a shot.
Fade2Black

Postby RahRahRobot » Jan 20th, 2013 @ 3:33am

Hello all. New to the forums but I've been listening to the show for a few months now. It has reignited my interest in comics which had previously dwindled down to only the occasional manga or graphic novel. Now I've been picking up more and more trades whenever I can. I really only pick up single issues when I'm curious about a story arc that I haven't heard much about. That being said, yesterday I picked up the January issues of the New 52 Catwoman and Nightwing. I thought both were ok, but I wanted to get your opinion on whether it would be worth going back for the volume 1 trades. If you hadn't already guessed, I'm a big Batman fan. I loved Hush, even more so than The Long Halloween--although I liked that too-- and just recently purchased Dark Victory. Although these are not part of the New 52, are they similar enough to warrant a recommendation for Catwoman or Nightwing? Thanks!
RahRahRobot

Postby grimretributi0n » May 3rd, 2013 @ 1:36am

Hey so I have listened to the comic conspiracy podcast for a while now and I figured this would be the best place to get my answer. Very similar to Rah Rah Robot.

First is it worthwhile for me to get Absolute Batman Hush? It is $131.21US ($154.99NZ as I live in NZ) is that a good price?

Also I really like the character Deathstroke, I thought the latest series started really good but as it has gone on I felt it got worse, this may be why it got cancelled, but I was wondering if there were any really good Deathstroke arcs? Do any of you have a character you really like but think there comic, story etc. isn’t quite what you want??
grimretributi0n

Postby Master Higgins » May 6th, 2013 @ 9:21am

grimretributi0n wrote:Hey so I have listened to the comic conspiracy podcast for a while now and I figured this would be the best place to get my answer. Very similar to Rah Rah Robot.

First is it worthwhile for me to get Absolute Batman Hush? It is $131.21US ($154.99NZ as I live in NZ) is that a good price?

US retail is $99.99, but shipping from the US would probably be about the same, so yeah, that's about right.

grimretributi0n wrote:Also I really like the character Deathstroke, I thought the latest series started really good but as it has gone on I felt it got worse, this may be why it got cancelled, but I was wondering if there were any really good Deathstroke arcs? Do any of you have a character you really like but think there comic, story etc. isn’t quite what you want??

None of the ongoing Deathstroke book has been collected, but two of the best Deathstroke stories are Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, and while not specifically a Deathstroke book, he has an incredible part in Identity Crisis.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kevinep3 » May 11th, 2013 @ 2:58pm

Does anyone know if any of the new digital bat/other beyond titles are any good?
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby manta173 » Aug 7th, 2013 @ 8:28am

Is this the place to get a recommendation on where to jump into the Hellboy universe?

Maybe a place to start and list of required story arcs or ones I should avoid?
manta173

Postby CrossXhunteR » Aug 7th, 2013 @ 5:42pm

I started with the first 5 or so Hellboy trades and then read through a few B.P.R.D. trades. As far as I know, the whole universe isn't so blown out that a reading order or required arcs are a thing.
CrossXhunteR

Postby DerBonk » Aug 8th, 2013 @ 7:08am

manta173 wrote:Is this the place to get a recommendation on where to jump into the Hellboy universe?

Maybe a place to start and list of required story arcs or ones I should avoid?

I think the Library editions are pretty good value and beautiful books, I'd just get the first one and begin from there. I feel like Hellboy has such a variety of different stuff (length-wise, mood-wise etc.), that there's no easy answer and just starting with the first one and seeing what you enjoy most might be the best idea. I, personally, enjoy the art and visual storytelling the most when reading Hellboy.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby JEKKI » Oct 30th, 2013 @ 11:37pm

whooo~!!! Sandman sale on comixology!!!

I heard the series was supposed to be good lol,

gonna pick up the first 28 issues,

anybody got recommendations on the mini series issues?
JEKKI

Postby LiQuid » Oct 31st, 2013 @ 12:36am

My recommendation is see if it's not too late for a refund. If not, invest in a new pillow cause they call it Sandman because it will put you to sleep.
LiQuid

Postby seamus2389 » Nov 8th, 2013 @ 8:27pm

JEKKI wrote:whooo~!!! Sandman sale on comixology!!!

I heard the series was supposed to be good lol,

gonna pick up the first 28 issues,

anybody got recommendations on the mini series issues?

The two death mini series are decent. Haven't read the rest of them. Gaiman really excels at the stand alone issues. Gaiman also puts alot of his thoughts on writing/creating stories in the series which as someone who enjoys stories that play with what stories are I really liked.
seamus2389

Postby JEKKI » Nov 11th, 2013 @ 5:21pm

LiQuid wrote:My recommendation is see if it's not too late for a refund. If not, invest in a new pillow cause they call it Sandman because it will put you to sleep.
lol well I definitely think it's a good idea for me to invest in a new pillow, but just for general reasons, not necessarily for Sandman.

finished the first 8 issues... loved it!! super lookin forward to the next 20 I picked up!

seamus2389 wrote:The two death mini series are decent. Haven't read the rest of them. Gaiman really excels at the stand alone issues. Gaiman also puts alot of his thoughts on writing/creating stories in the series which as someone who enjoys stories that play with what stories are I really liked.
well the sale's over so I wont be picking those up now, but definitely keep it on my radar for when I'm ready!!

Death's character does seem kinda cool when they introduced her at the beginning so it'll be cool to see her pop up again later.
JEKKI

Postby ShadowSot » Jul 9th, 2014 @ 5:51pm

One of my favorite comics is a 80's series called Blackjack.
I really love the setting and the tone of the story.
Is there something similar that I might enjoy?
ShadowSot

Postby Master Higgins » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 12:29pm

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby ShadowSot » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 1:14pm

Yes. Yes I did. My phone apparently autocorrected Grimjack to Blackjack. Though I did enjoy the Manga as well. Need to proofread before posting...
ShadowSot

Postby LiQuid » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 2:05pm

Remember when people used the internet from actual computers?
LiQuid

Postby ShadowSot » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 3:26pm

Yes. But it meant that at work I had to focus on... work.
This is my first smartphone and I'm learning the ways of autocorrect.
ShadowSot

Postby LiQuid » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 4:43pm

I'm not giving you shit, man. I am just old.
LiQuid

Postby ShadowSot » Jul 16th, 2014 @ 6:31pm

Heh, I didn't take it that way. I had to explain the card catalog in a library to my niece the other day.
In high school I was the only kid who didn't have a home computer.
ShadowSot

Postby Harmonica » May 10th, 2015 @ 10:09am

Hey, if you got a slow Day give Death Vigil by new Rat Queens, and seasoned Witchblade Artist Stjepan Sejic a read. Its the best comic noone is reading imo. also due to lack of sales He is throwing an Hail Mary and releasing the whole run on his deviantart piece by piece in hopes it will help his sales down the road with a 280 page TPB coming in Juli.
http://nebezial.deviantart.com/

his other comics Ravine and Sunstone(NSFW) are also worth a read even though the first volume of Ravine is a bit hard to get through because its his first work as a writer and it has a lot of world building.
Vol 1 of Ravine is also on his deviantart for free, and sunstone is a webcomic you cna read here , but very NSFW http://shiniez.deviantart.com/
Harmonica

Postby RoShamPoe » Jun 9th, 2015 @ 9:08pm

Greeting! I was wondering if someone could help me out with a Marvel intro. After Bryce's rant on the latest podcast, I thought I'd check some stuff out. I've read Civil War and a smathering here and there, but he suggested and 84 issue run of Hickman's that I couldn't quite grasp. Is this all of New Avengers? Should I start there? What else is connected to that book or required reading? I'd like to try the Spiderman stuff with Doc Ock taking over, but I also wouldn't know where to start. I've been mostly a lifelong DC guy, except for the Darkhawk and Sleepwalker years. Any recommendations would be welcome. Also, I just joined, but have been listening to CC and The Geekbox since its inception and GFW before that. I feel like I know most of these guys. I wasn't able to make a separate topic on the main page, I'm not sure if it's restricted or not.
RoShamPoe

Postby Harmonica » Jun 9th, 2015 @ 9:13pm

if you want to read New Avengers you have to read the regular Avengers book two because they are heavily intertwined, for doc ock just start with Superior Spider-Man #1 or Amazing Spider-Man 698 for Peter's last moments.
Harmonica

Postby LiQuid » Jun 9th, 2015 @ 11:44pm

I'd skip Hickman's Avengers. I didn't read the majority of it, but I can tell you right now just from the premise alone (and Bryce's recap) it's far too dense for a Marvel novice. Dan Slott's Spidey run is perfect for a newbie tho. I personally started at Spider Island, but Slott did a couple years on the book before that you can probably go back and get it all in trades. There is some filler between Spider Island and Doc Ock taking over in Superior Spider Man, but it's worth it to read the build up.

Finally, everyone who is even remotely interested in Marvel should read Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force. It borrows some backstory from Morrison's New X-Men and the classic Age of Apocalypse storylines, so it can be a LIIIIITTLE confusing to start if you haven't read those, but honestly it's nothing a little wiki perusal won't fix. It's around 30 issues and it's one of the most amazing, self-contained, epic storylines modern comics has produced.
LiQuid

Postby CeramicDragon » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 10:39pm

I am jumping back into comics after a 20 year hiatus. I just picked up Extraordinary Xmen #1, All new wolverine #1, Tokyo ghost #1, DK III master race #1, Darth Vader. Is this a good start? What is the best xmen book to read right now? Why is everything a #1 now?
CeramicDragon

Postby LiQuid » Dec 1st, 2015 @ 11:12pm

CeramicDragon wrote:Why is everything a #1 now?

I can't help with the rest of your questions, but for this one, the answer is: Marvel.
LiQuid

Postby zomgf » Feb 4th, 2016 @ 12:26pm

I'm finally considering getting some "american comics", i have always been a manga/european comic guy ... since that what i had growing up and we only got the 90s tv series for marvel/dc, which i generally liked.
I have dabbled in some "recent" (last 10 year marvel/dc) stuff a bit but the general art direction is REALLY not for me and i guess , so far i have gotten some older stuff digital and looked in some "newer" events.

lets just go over likes/dislikes so far and general taste
-i generally like(d) black/white or ligne claire type stuff like mangas, tintin, asterix,donald duck pocket books etc
-i liked infinity gauntlet, batman year one/tdk and silver age(?) era stuff like the late 60s ironman/xmen stuff thats collected in "masterworks", watchmen and so on
-i really likes batman beyond/the animated series style wise
-hush seems the breaking point for me where everything after that looks like something of devian art or created completely in photoshop.
-its not that i'm against details, i'm a big fan of everything satoshi kon, hidetaka miyazaki as far as movies go
-i looked in infinite crisis,blackest night, civil war, secret wars,flash points and really didn't like the art
-i looked up armor wars,extremis after the iron man movies and holy shit do they look awful

is there stuff i have overlooked just looking into events,stuff that got recycled into movies, or 20+ year old batman arcs
zomgf

Postby LiQuid » Feb 4th, 2016 @ 1:25pm

Are you limiting your exposure to American comics to just superhero shit? I imagine you'd get more bang for your buck from indies. If you haven't read it yet, I imagine you would really like Bone. Also check out a comic from Terry Moore called Echo. Black and white, clean art. Sci-fi story about a regular girl that accidentally inherits a top secret, weaponized, military suit.

As for superhero comics, if art is as big a factor for you as it seems, check out stuff drawn by Joe Mad and his disciples, like Chris Bachalo and Humberto Ramos. Those guys all draw super stylized art that is kind of influenced by manga. You'll find a lot of X-men and Spider Man runs with art from those 3 guys from the last 10-15 years. The problem with recommending runs with those guys on art is they are all notorious for not being able to draw comics as fast as Marvel publishes them, so any run with those 3 guys on it is going to have alternate arcs drawn by artists that differ hugely in style. This is kind of an issue with all Marvel/DC's monthly books tho.

Can't help too much with DC since a lot of it follows their house style, so it all kind of looks like grimdark Batman slop. Cliff Chiang (and an alternating artist whose name I can't recall, but who did an excellent job mimicking Chiang's style) drew an amazing run of Wonder Woman that started with the beginning of the New 52 and lasted like 30-something issues. That was great from start to finish.

I dunno man, it sounds like you just really dislike western comic art. If you actually go to a shop you can leaf thru every book on the shelf and just buy whatever you think has good interior art. It's ultimately going to be way too subjective
LiQuid

Postby zomgf » Feb 4th, 2016 @ 2:37pm

no im not limiting my self to super hero stuff, thats just what marvel/dc tends to be and after hearing the ryans going on about it and the marvel movies generally being some of the better summer blockbusters i have been considering that as an entry point. especially when the especially the bad licensed movies made me thing it should be much better not being limited to pg13 2,5 hours lowest commen denominator hollywood writing and going back to the "source" for nolans batman movies for exampel was great, same with alan moore stuff.

i also definetly dont dislike detailed art/color in animated movies even tought the western comics i read as a kid(tintin,asterix,disney etc) are super minimalistic compared to current western stuff. might just read the few "super popular" 80s/90s marvel/dc arcs that are out there and then watch the big movies when they are out.

i dunno, just thought it might be worth at least asking for some recommendations once or being reinforced that the current comisc are not for me even after liking recent movies and shows as a kid. especially since checking the art/synopsis on comixology is so easy these days. i should probably also take into account that higgins is a mad man that even likes michael bays transformers/flash and ryan scott generally brings up comics he liked as a kid and nostalgia is a big factor for liking stuff.
zomgf

Postby LiQuid » Feb 4th, 2016 @ 3:38pm

Yeah, going back to older comics is not a bad idea. They read a little more meaty than modern comics which you can finish a single issue of in 5 minutes. It was nice back in the day how you would have one writer and one artist on a book for years and years. That's just unheard of now. We have cases where a writer will remain on a book for a long time (Slott has been on Spidey for years) but the demands of modern comic artists are such that almost nobody can maintain a monthly book anymore. Older artists have much cleaner, simpler styles that I guess were easy to bang out 25 pages a month of. I kind of miss it.

Musical chairs artists are one of the major reasons why I just haven't been able to get into marvel and DC books lately. It's so tiring being into a story and loving the art on a book for 3 issues and then some no-name artist comes onto the book and shits it up. It was starting to happen to me on too many of my favorite books. This is another reason why indies are probably a good way to go. Read something like Saga and Fiona Staples is going to be doing art on every damn issue of that. They also take a few months off every half dozen issues or so, so it's possible for her to maintain the level of output. That's a luxury that no one on a Marvel or DC book will ever get.

Another random recommendation I just thought of. Check out Francavilla's Black Beetle from a couple years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DD65FTE

Consistently amazing art on every page of that thing. Pretty simplistic story, but well paced and well told if you like old pulp style comics.
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics