Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby sigh_its » Dec 27th, 2009 @ 8:16am

I forgot to mention the Warren Ellis web comic Freakangels (www.freakangels.com), it's a weekly comic that has been going for around 2 years and all the previous episodes are also available to read online.
sigh_its

Postby Jaebird » Dec 27th, 2009 @ 9:10am

sigh_its wrote:I forgot to mention the Warren Ellis web comic Freakangels (http://www.freakangels.com), it's a weekly comic that has been going for around 2 years and all the previous episodes are also available to read online.

Not meaning to go off-topic, but while reading some of it, I couldn't shake the feeling of deja-vu. Not that I find it's ripping off other things, but that I've seen this before from a long time ago.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby indieinsd » Dec 28th, 2009 @ 7:51am

I picked up 'Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft' based on the TRS guys rave reviews of it and I was not disappointed. Read it cover to cover in one sitting, haven't done that with anything in like 10 years, of course it aint long but it's still a great trade. I just ordered the second book via Amazon and if i go through it as quickly as I did the first I may have to start buying the comic. Or if IDW updated it with newer issues I would buy a digital version for the PSP.
indieinsd

Postby ilovehorsies » Dec 31st, 2009 @ 6:23pm

I really enjoy Powergirl and Jonah Hex. (Both by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti)
ilovehorsies

Postby obtainium » Jan 14th, 2010 @ 6:46pm

You really need to be reading, Edd Brubakers Captain America, Matt Fractions Iron Man and JMS' Brave and the Bold.

The 3 best books going around right now.

Oh and a shout out for Chew just for being awesome.
obtainium

Postby Jaebird » Jan 18th, 2010 @ 12:31pm

First off, I want to say I finally got around to picking up Kingdom Come. Suffice to say I love it from start to finish. My favorite part of the whole book is that superhero themed restaurant. I found myself not reading, but just looking at all the easter-eggs. I feel lucky to have picked up the JSA books before this, because of the additional scenes of time elapsing into the future in Thy Kingdom Come Part 3.

Anyway... Speaking of Kingdom Come, are there any good Wonder Woman books? I have Batman books, and I have Superman books; I feel like I should complete the "trinity" with any Wonder Woman book that this forum can offer. Also, my shelf is pretty much a superhero sausage party, and that really bugs me, when it shouldn't >_>
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby obtainium » Jan 19th, 2010 @ 1:39pm

The Greg Rucka stuff is cool, and the current Gail Simmone stuff is apparently pretty good, but i have yet to get around to taking a look.
obtainium

Postby IMLabman » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 8:55pm

I never really got into comics as a kid, mainly because I didn't have access to them in my area. But recently, I decided to pick up the first two comics in the Mass Effect series by Dark Horse...mainly because I love the games so much and wanted to know the whole story of what happened between the end of ME 1 and the beginning of ME 2. I'm really digging them, and I think comics are something I could really get in to. Of course, I have no clue where to start!

In books I usually like Sci-Fi, horror, crime, etc. My favourite book is a post-apocalyptic novel called The Road by Cormac McCarthy...I freakin love that book! I'm also a huge fan of zombie movies and comedies...put the two together and it's a sure win in my books (hence the Zombieland quote in my sig tag). Anyways, I know my tastes are a bit eclectic, but I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as to what comics might interest me. Thanks in advance! :)
IMLabman

Postby IMLabman » Mar 5th, 2010 @ 11:28pm

Well, I've been doing some research over the past few days, and I finally decided that The Walking Dead is the comic that interests me the most. I went ahead and ordered the Compendium Vol. 1 and the TPB Vol. 9, 10, & 11. So, what does everyone think of The Walking Dead? Did I make a good decision?

Other comics that interest me are:

- Crossed
- The Boys
- The Umbrella Academy

Anybody have any input on those?
IMLabman

Postby Norman Osborn » Mar 6th, 2010 @ 6:40am

I believe you just invested all moments of your future free time to The Walking Dead. It is simply one of the best products on the shelf right now. The art is not the best but it exudes the perfect settings and mood for the writing. Robert Kirkman knows how to twist and turn the story so you will have no idea what direction he will be going. It is one of my favorite titiles right now. To top it off there is a television series being made on AMC.
Simply Norman...
Norman Osborn

Postby IMLabman » Mar 6th, 2010 @ 8:12am

Norman Osborn wrote:I believe you just invested all moments of your future free time to The Walking Dead. It is simply one of the best products on the shelf right now. The art is not the best but it exudes the perfect settings and mood for the writing. Robert Kirkman knows how to twist and turn the story so you will have no idea what direction he will be going. It is one of my favorite titiles right now. To top it off there is a television series being made on AMC.

Sweet! I can't wait to dive in...unfortunately, living as far north as I do means everything takes at least 2 weeks to get here. I guess I'll just have to wait. :x
IMLabman

Postby LiQuid » Mar 6th, 2010 @ 8:29am

Don't ream Umbrella Academy. It was written by the toolbox from My Chemical Romance.
LiQuid

Postby Norman Osborn » Mar 6th, 2010 @ 10:25am

Umbrella Academy is an "ok" title. It seems that it is just a bunch of different titles rolled into one. Take Hellboy artwork mixed with a Dark Horse version of the X-Men / Fantastic Four. All the characters like to have the attention and all demand to be heard. Kind of an EMO book. Ha ha... My Chemical Romance...Umbrella Academy...EMO...
Simply Norman...
Norman Osborn

Postby IMLabman » Mar 6th, 2010 @ 11:52am

Avoid The Umbrella Academy...check! :D
IMLabman

Postby Norman Osborn » Mar 6th, 2010 @ 1:52pm

The Boys is a pretty flippin' cool book. I only have read the first 4 issues and it was quite "in 'yo face"! If you like flagrant violence and sick humor then Boys is the right book for you. Just wait until you see on how you get accepted on a Super Hero Team. Crazy stuff.

If you like a classic story about being a super hero with problems at home then check out Invincible! Again, this is a Robert Kirkman book, which is about a teenager becoming a superhero like his father with Superman like abilities. This is one of my favorite books on the market hands down. It gives you moments that literally make you gasp and drop your jaw.

Any X-Men fan, has got to read The Astonishing X-Men written by Joss Whedon and artwork by John Cassaday. This is my favorite X-Men story and wish it was the next X-Men movie. Whedon truly fleshes out characters to such a level it makes you wonder how they were never used in this awesome fashion before. A very cinematic display.
Simply Norman...
Norman Osborn

Postby sigh_its » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 7:12pm

The Boys is good but it's very much your standard Garth Ennis book and that guy is becoming the dictionary entry for "one trick pony"

Walking Dead is fine but I'm at that stage with the run that I would prefer it if he just wipes out all the main characters and resets the series somewhere else in the established universe as I feel that I've seen all that can be done with this cast.

The new series by Mike Carey called The Unwritten is good and his Felix Castor novels are well worth tracking down.
sigh_its

Postby IMLabman » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 8:02pm

sigh_its wrote:I forgot to mention the Warren Ellis web comic Freakangels (http://www.freakangels.com), it's a weekly comic that has been going for around 2 years and all the previous episodes are also available to read online.

I've been reading through the FreakAngels over the past few days and have finally caught up today. Man, I'm REALLY digging this series! I love stories of life after an apocalyptic type event...and the steampunk elements are a lot of fun as well. The writing is direct and to the point which I appreciate, and the characters are real people...sure they have some telepathic/Carrie-esque abilities, but are just ordinary people at heart.

Anybody know of any other series that have a similar post-apocalyptic story line, with "real" people? Keep in mind I'm also a big fan of zombies and aliens...so the "real" people phrase is pretty broad! :D
IMLabman

Postby AJR » Mar 10th, 2010 @ 9:31pm

Y: The Last Man might be up your alley.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby IMLabman » Mar 11th, 2010 @ 12:33am

AJR wrote:Y: The Last Man might be up your alley.

Sweet...I'll give it a go and see what I think.
IMLabman

Postby IMLabman » Mar 12th, 2010 @ 10:38pm

My Walking Dead books arrived today and I finished the first two volumes (Days Gone By and Miles Behind Us). I'm hooked...I can't wait find out what's going to happen! So far, it's sort of like a cross between the movies Dawn Of The Dead and Carriers, with a little bit of the novel The Road thrown in as well. The black and white artwork fits the mood of the story, and I can relate to most of the characters...although, Glenn worries me a bit.

I also read through TPB #1 of Y: The Last Man...I'm not sure what I think yet. The story is interesting and I'd like to see where this series goes, but I'm not so sure about the characters. Yorick the unemployed guy who does magic in his spare time and has a pet monkey, oh and did I mention that his mother is a big shot in the government and his girlfriend is in Australia...I don't get it! Maybe I should read through a couple more books before I cast too much judgment. What does everyone think of this series?
IMLabman

Postby LiQuid » Mar 13th, 2010 @ 9:27am

Y:TLM = A+

Don't question it, just read it. It rules. The only problem is Yorick's inexplicable defiance in fucking every woman on the planet (read: any normal man's first response to said crisis). Really satisfying conclusion to that story.
LiQuid

Postby IMLabman » Mar 13th, 2010 @ 2:10pm

LiQuid wrote:Y:TLM = A+

Don't question it, just read it. It rules. The only problem is Yorick's inexplicable defiance in fucking every woman on the planet (read: any normal man's first response to said crisis). Really satisfying conclusion to that story.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to read more and see what I think.
IMLabman

Postby Norman Osborn » Mar 14th, 2010 @ 8:46am

I thought the entire series was top notch. It is really impressive how BKV wrote almost every aspect of life that has controversy without being a D-Bag about it. He made every character have reason and sense. The first trade seems to be the set-up of who you are dealing with as the rest of the series will flesh itself out.
Simply Norman...
Norman Osborn

Postby esorgel » Mar 25th, 2010 @ 6:03pm

indieinsd wrote:I picked up 'Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft' based on the TRS guys rave reviews of it and I was not disappointed. Read it cover to cover in one sitting, haven't done that with anything in like 10 years, of course it aint long but it's still a great trade. I just ordered the second book via Amazon and if i go through it as quickly as I did the first I may have to start buying the comic. Or if IDW updated it with newer issues I would buy a digital version for the PSP.

Same thing happened to me I picked it up last Saturday and read it cover to cover Saturday it's fantastic. The writing is top notch, and the art compliments it so well, I couldn't believe that he was on crappy tie in books until this one. I can't wait to pick up the second trade this weekend. I would recommend it to anyone who reads comics. Also Stephen Kings kid writes it,if that's what you're into.
esorgel

Postby GiantBoyDetective » Apr 6th, 2010 @ 1:27pm

ok Master Higgins, so i really wanna find out everything that happened to Bruce Wayne pre Final Crisis and when he "died" plus i was also wantng to check out how dick became the new Batman. The problem is DC has so many tie-ins and TPBs that i have no idea where to start so can you help me out here?
I don't blame you for desiring me. The Monarch is...DELICIOUS!!!
GiantBoyDetective

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 7th, 2010 @ 11:28am

GiantBoyDetective wrote:ok Master Higgins, so i really wanna find out everything that happened to Bruce Wayne pre Final Crisis and when he "died" plus i was also wantng to check out how dick became the new Batman. The problem is DC has so many tie-ins and TPBs that i have no idea where to start so can you help me out here?

Here is your reading order:

Batman: Batman & Son
Batman: The Black Glove
Batman: RIP
Final Crisis
Batman: Battle For The Cowl
Batman: Batman & Robin (first volume out this week!)
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 7th, 2010 @ 12:31pm

So I used to read comics, I love DC, and I'm alright with Marvel, my favorite super heroes are Sentry, Batman, Hawkman, and the Green Lantern. I like the Avengers, they hold a special place in my heart, and JLA rocks. I'm used to reading graphic novels like Locke and Key, so Vertigo graphic novels are cool with me. I want to get back into comics after I recently picked up the New Avengers, so I ask, recommend me some comics, after all, that's what this thread is for. Help me catch up with where some of the DC-verse and Marvel-verse heroes are now, help me catch up with the Avengers, and recommend me some heroes to start getting into, also any good Vertigo or graphic novels you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks!
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby IRL_Troll » Apr 8th, 2010 @ 8:40am

The "Red Robin" run right now has been pretty damned cool. If that hasn't been recommended yet, READ IT NAO
Wildcard. Bitches
To stalk me: http://twitter.com/ElChristophe
To play with and stalk me via Steam: (ID) Jack Of All AIDS
IRL_Troll

Postby GiantBoyDetective » Apr 8th, 2010 @ 12:26pm

Master Higgins wrote:
GiantBoyDetective wrote:ok Master Higgins, so i really wanna find out everything that happened to Bruce Wayne pre Final Crisis and when he "died" plus i was also wantng to check out how dick became the new Batman. The problem is DC has so many tie-ins and TPBs that i have no idea where to start so can you help me out here?

Final Crisis

ok thank you very much thats perfect. And im coming to tha bay area soon so i'll have to stop by the store and by lots of stuff. thanks again.
I don't blame you for desiring me. The Monarch is...DELICIOUS!!!
GiantBoyDetective

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 8th, 2010 @ 12:59pm

GiantBoyDetective wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Final Crisis

ok thank you very much thats perfect. And im coming to tha bay area soon so i'll have to stop by the store and by lots of stuff. thanks again.

No problem!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics