Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby RicanSoldier » Mar 22nd, 2011 @ 7:50pm

My favorite comic book series of all time is The Preacher. When I began reading it I was just like 12 and it blew my mind that they were getting away with what was in the comic. Funny thing other kids where hiding playboys at my age, I was hiding Preacher issues cause my mom was super religious lol.
RicanSoldier

Postby UberGeek » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 3:38am

Anyone know any good apocalypse/post apocalypse comics that is not The Walking Dead, Y: The Last Man, and Just a Pilgrim?
UberGeek

Postby BagODicks » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 2:52pm

RicanSoldier wrote:My favorite comic book series of all time is The Preacher. When I began reading it I was just like 12 and it blew my mind that they were getting away with what was in the comic. Funny thing other kids where hiding playboys at my age, I was hiding Preacher issues cause my mom was super religious lol.

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon do good work. Unfortunately, all of Steve Dillon's characters have the same face. :lol:
BagODicks

Postby RicanSoldier » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:01pm

BagODicks wrote:
RicanSoldier wrote:My favorite comic book series of all time is The Preacher. When I began reading it I was just like 12 and it blew my mind that they were getting away with what was in the comic. Funny thing other kids where hiding playboys at my age, I was hiding Preacher issues cause my mom was super religious lol.

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon do good work. Unfortunately, all of Steve Dillon's characters have the same face. :lol:

Lol true. There punisher run was fucking good to.
RicanSoldier

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:14pm

RicanSoldier wrote:
BagODicks wrote:

Ha ha, yeah, I remember this was a huge comeback for the Punisher. The best was when he kicked Ma Gnuchi into a burning house and she had no arms or legs. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby RicanSoldier » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:24pm

jinpei05 wrote:
RicanSoldier wrote:
BagODicks wrote:

Ha ha, yeah, I remember this was a huge comeback for the Punisher. The best was when he kicked Ma Gnuchi into a burning house and she had no arms or legs. :lol:

I don't know that issue where he kills her gang in the Zoo wad my favorite. "Ooh what a cute bear" WHACK!!! Head comes right off. Then he throws her to the bears and they eat her limbs, that was gangsta!
RicanSoldier

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 23rd, 2011 @ 4:35pm

That whole storyarc was ridiculously awesome. The best was when people would puke.

BOOOAAAKKK!!!
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Fade2Black » Apr 6th, 2011 @ 12:55am

myth wrote:For alternative comics, I recommend Transmetropolitan, Fell, and Strangers In Paradise.

For those seeking a diversion from the super-hero genre, I second myth's Strangers in Paradise recommendation (full-disclosure I'm an admin. on the StrangersinParadise.org fan forum). Another book I highly recommend, is Craig Thompson's Blankets.

For those in need of an intermediate (i.e. one that bridges the gap between traditional super-hero comics and what many refer to as alternative comics), I recommend Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.

Getting a title distributed by Diamond is all-too-often a hurdle small press publishers can't seem to overcome. Many upstart publishers, and some seasoned veterans, are turning to online publication as a means of cutting overhead costs, and reaching a wide audience. While I'm all for advancing the digital medium, I'll be the first to admit, I'm partial to reading printed material. Fortunately, some of these online titles are also available as trade paperbacks. Tracy Butler's Lackadaisy Cats is one such collection. Tracy's artwork is absolutely stunning. A couple other traded webcomics worth checking out include Girl Genius and The Devil's Panties.

I have many more recommendations to make, but Mr. Sandman is knocking at my door.
Until next time. . . .
Fade2Black

Postby flufflogic » Apr 6th, 2011 @ 3:11am

Also, check out Freakangels online. Free comics! Still updated!
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 6th, 2011 @ 10:52am

Fade2Black wrote:For those in need of an intermediate (i.e. one that bridges the gap between traditional super-hero comics and what many refer to as alternative comics), I recommend Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.

Correction: for those of you in need of talking animals and hot women, I recommend Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Jaebird » Apr 8th, 2011 @ 5:17pm

I've been wanting to check out Birds of Prey for a while, but I don't know where to start. And I missed out on the re-launch of the series when Brightest Day started. If anyone knows what trade I could start on, that would be helpful. Same thing goes for Secret Six, too.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 9th, 2011 @ 9:54am

Jaebird wrote:I've been wanting to check out Birds of Prey for a while, but I don't know where to start. And I missed out on the re-launch of the series when Brightest Day started. If anyone knows what trade I could start on, that would be helpful. Same thing goes for Secret Six, too.

Start with Gail's first BoP trade, or wait for the Brightest Day arc to be collected. They're both really good.

Stolen from wikipedia:

* Birds of Prey #56-90, 92-108 (DC Comics, August 2003 - July 2007) collected as:
o Of Like Minds (with Ed Benes, collects Birds of Prey #56-61, 144 pages, March 2004, ISBN 1-4012-0192-X)[16]
o Sensei & Student (with Ed Benes, collects Birds of Prey #62-68, 168 pages, February 2005, ISBN 1-4012-0434-1)[17]
o Between Dark & Dawn (with Ed Benes, collects Birds of Prey #69-75, 176 pages, March 2006, ISBN 1-4012-0940-8)[18]
o The Battle Within (with Joe Bennett and Ed Benes, collects Birds of Prey #76-85, 240 pages, October 2006, ISBN 1-4012-1096-1)[19]
o Perfect Pitch (with Joe Bennett and Paulo Siqueira, collects Birds of Prey #86-90 and #92-95, 224 pages, February 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1191-7)[20]
o Blood and Circuits (with Nicola Scott, Paulo Siqueira and James Raiz, collects Birds of Prey #96-103, 208 pages, August 2007, ISBN 1-4012-1371-5)[21]
o Dead of Winter (with Nicola Scott, collects Birds of Prey #104-108, 128 pages, February 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1641-2)[22]

Secret Six, I believe, are also all collected and still in print.

* Secret Six #1-14, 16-present, DC Comics, November 2008 - ongoing) collected as:
o Unhinged (with Nicola Scott and Doug Hazlewood, collects Secret Six #1-7, 144 pages, August 2009, ISBN 1-4012-2327-3)
o Depths (with Nicola Scott and Carlos Rodriguez, collects Secret Six #8-14, 168 pages, April 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2599-5)
o Danse Macabre (with Jim Calafiore, Peter Nguyen and Doug Hazlewood, collects Secret Six #15-18 and Suicide Squad #67, written by John Ostrander, 128 pages, October 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2904-7)
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby flufflogic » Apr 9th, 2011 @ 11:05am

After playing the game, I'm tempted to seek out Arkham Asylum: Living Hell (referenced in quite a few of the bios). Any good?

EDIT: found Arkham Asylum: A Serious Place on Serious Earth. Same thing or different? Lots of references by people to the game.
flufflogic

Postby Jaebird » Apr 9th, 2011 @ 1:22pm

Master Higgins wrote:Wiki-snip

Thanks for copy 'n pasting Wikipedia. A simple name of a trade could have suffice. Like, the name of the Gail Simone's first trade, Of Like Minds. Which my local comic store manager helped to locate after simply asking what I should start reading.

/internet highfive.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby LiQuid » Apr 9th, 2011 @ 3:19pm

Don't listen to Higgins anyways. That guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. BoP starts and stops here.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 9th, 2011 @ 4:49pm

flufflogic wrote:After playing the game, I'm tempted to seek out Arkham Asylum: Living Hell (referenced in quite a few of the bios). Any good?

EDIT: found Arkham Asylum: A Serious Place on Serious Earth. Same thing or different? Lots of references by people to the game.

You want this: http://dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=4353

Living Hell is good, but you want the original Arkham Asylum. More Grant Morrison goodness!
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 9th, 2011 @ 4:50pm

Jaebird wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:Wiki-snip

Thanks for copy 'n pasting Wikipedia. A simple name of a trade could have suffice. Like, the name of the Gail Simone's first trade, Of Like Minds. Which my local comic store manager helped to locate after simply asking what I should start reading.

/internet highfive.

But see, I pasted them all because you should read all of them. Don't listen to Liquid. BoP, next to Catwoman, is I believe the only DC movie/tv show I've never seen.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby flufflogic » Apr 10th, 2011 @ 1:26pm

Master Higgins wrote:
flufflogic wrote:After playing the game, I'm tempted to seek out Arkham Asylum: Living Hell (referenced in quite a few of the bios). Any good?

You want this: http://dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=4353

Living Hell is good, but you want the original Arkham Asylum. More Grant Morrison goodness!

Yeah, I found that as part of an "Arkham essentials" recommended list on Amazon, along with The Man Who Laughs and The Killing Joke. Have now promptly borrowed and read :D Forgot how good Killing Joke is, and Arkham Asylum: ASPOSE is amazing. Also read Long Halloween, and found copies of Prey, Year One and Dark Knight Returns to borrow next.
flufflogic

Postby Fade2Black » Apr 19th, 2011 @ 5:31pm

UberGeek wrote:Anyone know any good apocalypse/post apocalypse comics that is not The Walking Dead, Y: The Last Man, and Just a Pilgrim?

Wasteland

The first issue is available as a free download. -> link <-
Fade2Black

Postby kevinep3 » May 2nd, 2011 @ 3:52pm

So I've been thinking about maybe getting some comics off amazon after the 20$ I got from portal 2, any suggestions?
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby kevinep3 » May 3rd, 2011 @ 11:09am

also so you know what ones i own, I have year one, red son, a few star wars ones, a transformers one, some walking dead, and knightfall so anything thats kinda like those and are good is fine.
edit: I'm also a fan of dark horse art styles so any good books by them would be nice.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby DarthChris4 » May 7th, 2011 @ 11:09pm

what's the deal with fear itself? i've seen the ads for it in the recent comics but i'm not sure what the premise is.

here's my current reading list: deadpool, future foundation, batman inc., walking dead, invincible (catching up), and i'm going to start the recent run of green lantern
DarthChris4

Postby LiQuid » May 7th, 2011 @ 11:21pm

Oh man, I'm behind on Batman Inc. Is it still exceptionally retarded?

I really, really want to read Millar's Nemesis. I hear it's impossibly bad. Kick Ass was fairly unimpressive but it wasn't offensive. I hear Nemesis is like among the worst comics of all time. I know most of the dudes here have a longstanding loathing of the guy, but has anybody checked it out? If I could get a positive "Do not read under any circumstances" from Jinpei or Higgins I would go out and pick it up instantaneously.
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » May 8th, 2011 @ 2:40am

LiQuid wrote:Oh man, I'm behind on Batman Inc. Is it still exceptionally retarded?

I really, really want to read Millar's Nemesis. I hear it's impossibly bad. Kick Ass was fairly unimpressive but it wasn't offensive. I hear Nemesis is like among the worst comics of all time. I know most of the dudes here have a longstanding loathing of the guy, but has anybody checked it out? If I could get a positive "Do not read under any circumstances" from Jinpei or Higgins I would go out and pick it up instantaneously.

I liked it. Unfortunately this book had a blah ending much like Millar's other work. He can give you an interesting concept, and even dazzle and surprise you, but he can't write endings that match the caliber of the stories he weaves. Nemesis is okay; a good build up to a bad ending. Trademark Mark Millar.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby mars92 » May 9th, 2011 @ 1:16am

I'm a bit of an outsider when it comes to comics, I've read and loved The Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim and Y The Last Man, and I've read a few issues of Fables, Sandman and Powers which I also enjoyed but never ended up continuing with. Batman is about the only superhero that has piqued my interest, but I'm not really interested in reading all the way back to early Detective Comics.

I just got an iPad and with comics so hard to find where I live (rural New Zealand) that the nearest comic store I know if would have had to import each issue of Walking Dead at $30 each (although I now own 4 of the collected volumes) so online is really my only option.

Can anyone help me out with a few more recommendations?
mars92

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2011 @ 1:27am

mars92 wrote:I'm a bit of an outsider when it comes to comics, I've read and loved The Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim and Y The Last Man, and I've read a few issues of Fables, Sandman and Powers which I also enjoyed but never ended up continuing with. Batman is about the only superhero that has piqued my interest, but I'm not really interested in reading all the way back to early Detective Comics.

I just got an iPad and with comics so hard to find where I live (rural New Zealand) that the nearest comic store I know if would have had to import each issue of Walking Dead at $30 each (although I now own 4 of the collected volumes) so online is really my only option.

If you liked YTLM enough to finish it, I highly recommend Runaways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaways_(comics)

I still haven't gotten around to finishing it, but I read most of BKV's run on it and I think his writing there is just as strong as it is in Y. He created some characters that I really fell in love with and I feel like a bonehead for recommending it having not finished it.
LiQuid

Postby mars92 » May 9th, 2011 @ 2:20am

I'm always good for something with a bit of comic relief spliced in to it. Scott Pilgrim obviously had that in spades, but I think that's what made YTLM so easy for me to read.

I will definitely look into Runaways though, plot sounds very interesting.
mars92

Postby jinpei05 » May 9th, 2011 @ 9:03am

LiQuid wrote:Oh man, I'm behind on Batman Inc. Is it still exceptionally retarded?

And you wonder why your taste is always in question...

Batman Inc. is still fully stocked up on crazy, but now Morrison's writing is regressing. I might jump off after this arc.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » May 9th, 2011 @ 9:52am

jinpei05 wrote:And you wonder why your taste is always in question...

Batman Inc. is still fully stocked up on crazy, but now Morrison's writing is regressing. I might jump off after this arc.
Oh I know fully why my taste is always in question, I just know enough about you jokers to know there's a thick, divisive line between us when it comes to our required daily intake of nonsense!

Also, anything on par with fighting a giant octopus in a flooded apartment crazy? Man Grant Morrison makes me all tingly sometimes. The last story arc I read in JLA (Rock of Ages) was incredibly bad and confusing, but also completely batshit insane in some really great ways.
LiQuid

Postby Roadie Brock » May 9th, 2011 @ 11:30am

mars92 wrote:I'm a bit of an outsider when it comes to comics, I've read and loved The Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim and Y The Last Man, and I've read a few issues of Fables, Sandman and Powers which I also enjoyed but never ended up continuing with. Batman is about the only superhero that has piqued my interest, but I'm not really interested in reading all the way back to early Detective Comics.

Batman Reads:

Dark Victory
Return of the Dark Knight
Long Halloween
Bruce Wayne: Murderer?
Bruce Wayne: Fugitive (Three trades)
Hush

Talk to Higgins about ordering from the shop.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics