Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby Jaebird » May 9th, 2011 @ 2:48pm

Roadie Brock wrote:
mars92 wrote:I'm a bit of an outsider when it comes to comics, I've read and loved The Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim and Y The Last Man, and I've read a few issues of Fables, Sandman and Powers which I also enjoyed but never ended up continuing with. Batman is about the only superhero that has piqued my interest, but I'm not really interested in reading all the way back to early Detective Comics.

I just got an iPad and with comics so hard to find where I live (rural New Zealand) that the nearest comic store I know if would have had to import each issue of Walking Dead at $30 each (although I now own 4 of the collected volumes) so online is really my only option.

Can anyone help me out with a few more recommendations?

Batman Reads:

Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Return of the Dark Knight
Bruce Wayne: Murderer?
Bruce Wayne: Fugitive (Three trades)
Hush

Talk to Higgins about ordering from the shop.

Fixed the reading order :)
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby jinpei05 » May 9th, 2011 @ 2:50pm

I would argue how good Hush is. It's a C- story with A+ art, so the whole thing averages out to a B.

I will add The Killing Joke, The Man Who Laughs, and Knightfall to that list.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby mars92 » May 9th, 2011 @ 8:29pm

jinpei05 wrote:I would argue how good Hush is. It's a C- story with A+ art, so the whole thing averages out to a B.

I have read The Killing Joke and really enjoyed it. Also heard good things about Year One, would y'all agree?
mars92

Postby InuiTakumi23 » May 9th, 2011 @ 9:00pm

Hey guys, was just wondering if there were any suggestions on good jump on points for The Flash. I saw Flash: Rebirth at the store but didnt know if that was a good place to start. Thanks. :D
"I'm just a passing-through Kamen Rider. Remember that!"
~Tsukasa/Kamen Rider Decade
InuiTakumi23

Postby Master Higgins » May 10th, 2011 @ 6:29am

InuiTakumi23 wrote:Hey guys, was just wondering if there were any suggestions on good jump on points for The Flash. I saw Flash: Rebirth at the store but didnt know if that was a good place to start. Thanks. :D

It's as good a place as any. I'd check out the Johns run on Flash, starting with the omnibus that collects all the out of print tpbs. You can skip the Bart-as-Flash stuff, as well as Mark Waid's return to Wally run, but jump back on with Final Crisis, where Barry returns, then Rebirth, followed by the Dastardly Death of the Rogues collection.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Roadie Brock » May 10th, 2011 @ 8:04am

Jaebird wrote:Fixed the reading order :)

I had forgotten that those where in a certain order. Thank you. :)

Master Higgins wrote:It's as good a place as any. I'd check out the Johns run on Flash, starting with the omnibus that collects all the out of print tpbs. You can skip the Bart-as-Flash stuff, as well as Mark Waid's return to Wally run, but jump back on with Final Crisis, where Barry returns, then Rebirth, followed by the Dastardly Death of the Rogues collection.

I know, I know...I need to get that Flash reading list posted.
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby jinpei05 » May 10th, 2011 @ 10:40am

mars92 wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:I would argue how good Hush is. It's a C- story with A+ art, so the whole thing averages out to a B.

I have read The Killing Joke and really enjoyed it. Also heard good things about Year One, would y'all agree?

o_O

Go out and buy it now. Then read it. Then read it again.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby mars92 » May 10th, 2011 @ 12:57pm

jinpei05 wrote:
mars92 wrote:

o_O

Go out and buy it now. Then read it. Then read it again.

Sounds like solid advice.
mars92

Postby The_Thames » May 11th, 2011 @ 3:30pm

I am fairly new to comics and was wanting to get into Captain America any suggestions where to start.
The_Thames

Postby Jaebird » May 11th, 2011 @ 3:58pm

The_Thames wrote:I am fairly new to comics and was wanting to get into Captain America any suggestions where to start.

Start from Ed Brubaker's run, since it's the most recent and consistent. It begins with Winter Soldier.

There's also the omnibus, if you have the extra cash.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Postby InuiTakumi23 » May 11th, 2011 @ 6:22pm

Master Higgins wrote:It's as good a place as any. I'd check out the Johns run on Flash, starting with the omnibus that collects all the out of print tpbs. You can skip the Bart-as-Flash stuff, as well as Mark Waid's return to Wally run, but jump back on with Final Crisis, where Barry returns, then Rebirth, followed by the Dastardly Death of the Rogues collection.

Thanks a lot, Ryan! That definitely helps sort out a gameplan for this.

Roadie Brock wrote:I know, I know...I need to get that Flash reading list posted.

Can't wait to see it. If its anything like your GL list, it will be a great tool in catching up on the series.
"I'm just a passing-through Kamen Rider. Remember that!"
~Tsukasa/Kamen Rider Decade
InuiTakumi23

Postby BagODicks » May 12th, 2011 @ 2:37pm

I picked up the new Mega Man comic from Archie comics today. I like the art a lot.

BagODicks

Postby Jamo6995 » May 14th, 2011 @ 7:42am

I would like to recommend, and really sorry if anyone posted this, but invincible by kirkman. I believe Volume 1 and 2 of the omnibus is available and collects like issues 1-40 or something like that. Sorry if I butchered that I have the TPB. Anyway the premise is kinda cool and a fresh take on superheroes. Not going to spoil anything but basically to me its like spiderman and super joined in to one body bc Mark Grayson who's the main character has the geeky charm of spiderman but the brute strength of superman.

I would like to get the reading for marvel zombies please. Started readin them and kinda lost touch when all the DC main events came out and would like to get back into it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
Jamo6995

Postby Fade2Black » May 16th, 2011 @ 1:19pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Fade2Black wrote:For those in need of an intermediate (i.e. one that bridges the gap between traditional super-hero comics and what many refer to as alternative comics), I recommend Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.

Correction: for those of you in need of talking animals and hot women, I recommend Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.

Whatever your reason for reading this fantastic series, there's good news out of Beltsville. Today Frank Cho announced Sony no longer holds the rights to Liberty Meadows. He says we can expect the series to resume when issue 38 is released later this year. Apparently Frank and Sony were in cahoots to develop an animated series. Frank's first script was deemed too risqué, so he toned it down, only to be informed they wanted the series to be more adult in nature - idiots. He reverted back to a more risqué script. Around this time, Sony fired the execs in charge of the production. The new execs wanted no part of what the predecessors were working on, and consequently the series was shelved. Fast forward two years later. Due to an inactivity clause, the rights to Liberty Meadows reverted back to Frank.
Last edited by Fade2Black on May 18th, 2011 @ 3:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fade2Black

Postby jinpei05 » May 17th, 2011 @ 10:01am

Fade2Black wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
Fade2Black wrote:For those in need of an intermediate (i.e. one that bridges the gap between traditional super-hero comics and what many refer to as alternative comics), I recommend Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.

Correction: for those of you in need of talking animals and hot women, I recommend Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.

Whatever your reason for reading this fantastic series, there's good news out of Beltsville. Today Frank Cho announced Sony no longer holds the rights to Liberty Meadows. He says we can expect the series to resume when issue 38 is released later this year. Apparently Frank and Sony were in cahoots to develop an animated series. Frank's first script was deemed too risqué, so he toned it down, only to be informed they wanted the series to be more adult in nature - idiots. He reverted back to a more risqué script. Around this time, Sony fired the execs in charge of the production. The new execs wanted no part of what the predecessors were working on and consequently, the series was shelved. Fast forward two years later. Due to an inactivity clause, the rights to Liberty Meadows reverted back to Frank.

Awesome! I had no idea they were trying to make a Liberty Meadows animated series. Sorry it won't ever come to pass.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby SerpentineZERO » May 21st, 2011 @ 6:12pm

I don't know if this has been asked before (probably has), but where should i start if i wanna get into Batman?
SerpentineZERO

Postby kenzo » May 21st, 2011 @ 6:18pm

SerpentineZERO wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before (probably has), but where should i start if i wanna get into Batman?

kenzo

Postby Roadie Brock » May 21st, 2011 @ 6:21pm

SerpentineZERO wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before (probably has), but where should i start if i wanna get into Batman?

Anywhere. There are so many Batman stories that you can just jump on at almost any of them. Here are a few you should check out:

Dark Knight Returns
Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Haunted Knight
Hush

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby SerpentineZERO » May 21st, 2011 @ 6:42pm

Thanks, i'll give some of those a shot. I thought i'd be lost if i did that, given that there are so many.
SerpentineZERO

Postby Jamo6995 » May 23rd, 2011 @ 10:54am

I have to agree with Brock. Batman is one of those story arcs where you can just dive in head first and be ok. One I can recommend to stay away from is all star batman, just an opinion of course, maybe check it out in your local library just to at least say you read it. I thought it was a little too extreme for my taste. I know that's Millar's style and I love most of his work but not this one.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
Jamo6995

Postby jinpei05 » May 23rd, 2011 @ 10:59am

Jamo6995 wrote:I have to agree with Brock. Batman is one of those story arcs where you can just dive in head first and be ok. One I can recommend to stay away from is all star batman, just an opinion of course, maybe check it out in your local library just to at least say you read it. I thought it was a little too extreme for my taste. I know that's Millar's style and I love most of his work but not this one.

No, you're absolutely right. All-Star Batman and Robin is a very beautiful piece of shit. Miller is a mere parody of himself now.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Retro Clone » May 23rd, 2011 @ 1:59pm

Always take a banana to a party.

"@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"
Retro Clone

Postby kevinep3 » May 23rd, 2011 @ 6:57pm

Now I'm sure this has already been asked but im too tired to actually look, but I want to start some green lantern to get all geeky for the movie, so what would a good place to start be? also shorter series i could by in graphic novel from would be better. thanks :D
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » May 23rd, 2011 @ 8:25pm

kevinep3 wrote:Now I'm sure this has already been asked but im too tired to actually look, but I want to start some green lantern to get all geeky for the movie, so what would a good place to start be? also shorter series i could by in graphic novel from would be better. thanks :D

Brock has a reading list on his blog.

http://conspiratorbrock.blogspot.com/20 ... -list.html

I've read Rebirth. It was pretty good. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to get into more. I keep saying if I ever get into a DC character it'll be Green Lantern, but so far I haven't had a ton of motivation, and gearing up for a movie I probably won't see isn't enough.
LiQuid

Postby MidoriFox » May 24th, 2011 @ 1:33am

I would love some recomendations. I just started reading comics
two months ago.

I'm currently reading / read
Invincible - On volume 5 of the Ultimate Collection
The Walking Dead - Current Issue
Scott Pilgrim - Complete

Here is some stuff I like that could pertain to comics.
Sci-Fi - Such as, Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Firefly, Fringe, Lost...
Fantasy - Just about any like Lord Of The Rings and D&D
Noir
Art
Zombies
Super heros
Video Games
Mythology
Japanese
Western
comedy

I almost bought Planetary I heard it mentioned on the podcast so after talking with my
comic guy I thought I would pick it up. But my comic store only has volumes 1-3 in paperback
and volume 4 in hardcover. I checked the Comics Conspiracy ebay store and didn't see it on there, is it possible you have it? Im looking for the hardbacks. Im catching up on the old podcasts while listening to the new ones as they come out.

Thanks
"Its milk and egg, bitch"
MidoriFox

Postby LiQuid » May 24th, 2011 @ 1:57am

You would probably really dig Fables. Good mix of fantasy characters and settings with noir/detective plot lines. I stopped after 5 or 6 trades but I'm going to go back and read more eventually cause it's pretty dope.

Also check out Echo by Terry Moore. It's a sci-fi book about a woman who stumbles upon some future/military tech that grants her powers and a place on a few most wanted lists. Really good, clean black and white art and great writing. Only read the first two of these trades so far. Because I couldn't handle waiting for more issues to come out, I decided to wait for it to finish. I believe there's only 1 or 2 more issues left to come out but as soon as it's done being collected I'm going to snatch it up ASAP cause I was really enjoying what I read of it.

Also, I recommend everybody who hasn't read either/and/or/both Y: The Last Man and Runaways to do so at all costs. Brian K. Vaughan is probably my favorite active writer. Y was pretty flawless from start to finish (with a few iffy diversions) and Runaways is probably my favorite comic of all time for the 30-some issues he was on it. Y is about the last man on Earth and Runaways is about a group of teenagers that find out their parents are super villains. Nothing from your list of interests dictates that you'll like either of those more or less than anybody else, but you should read them to make me happy.

Have fun.
LiQuid

Postby MidoriFox » May 24th, 2011 @ 3:15am

Do you think any of those will come out in paperback or hardcover? Im not into having twenty thousand single issues I cant put on a book shelf. Thats one of my main detractions from comics.

I know what you mean about Echo. I have that problem with The Walking Dead. I read issues 1- to current a few months ago in only 2 days. Since then I wait month to month and cry. I might take a break and let them build up.

Thanks for the suggestions.
"Its milk and egg, bitch"
MidoriFox

Postby AJR » May 24th, 2011 @ 3:27am

They're all available in trades form.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby Roadie Brock » May 24th, 2011 @ 7:59am

MidoriFox where you looking for Planetary Vol. 4 in soft or hard cover? I think we have both at the shop. Y: Last Man is available in both soft and hard. Walking Dead should be read in trade. You can always call the shop or email Ryan at the shop about titles we have or that we can get. And if you start Fables you'll have a lot to read there are 15 trades out right now. Good Luck.

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby kevinep3 » May 24th, 2011 @ 9:05am

LiQuid wrote:
kevinep3 wrote:Now I'm sure this has already been asked but im too tired to actually look, but I want to start some green lantern to get all geeky for the movie, so what would a good place to start be? also shorter series i could by in graphic novel from would be better. thanks :D

Brock has a reading list on his blog.

http://conspiratorbrock.blogspot.com/20 ... -list.html

I've read Rebirth. It was pretty good. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to get into more. I keep saying if I ever get into a DC character it'll be Green Lantern, but so far I haven't had a ton of motivation, and gearing up for a movie I probably won't see isn't enough.

Liquid thanks for the link and brock thank you for putting this together. this really helps quite a bit.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics