Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby jinpei05 » May 24th, 2011 @ 12:33pm

BagODicks wrote:I picked up the new Mega Man comic from Archie comics today. I like the art a lot.

I just picked this up. I like it, but nothing really happens in this issue. I hope it really picks up next issue.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Roadie Brock » May 24th, 2011 @ 8:16pm

kevinep3 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
kevinep3 wrote:Now I'm sure this has already been asked but im too tired to actually look, but I want to start some green lantern to get all geeky for the movie, so what would a good place to start be? also shorter series i could by in graphic novel from would be better. thanks :D

Brock has a reading list on his blog.

http://conspiratorbrock.blogspot.com/20 ... -list.html

I've read Rebirth. It was pretty good. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to get into more. I keep saying if I ever get into a DC character it'll be Green Lantern, but so far I haven't had a ton of motivation, and gearing up for a movie I probably won't see isn't enough.

Liquid thanks for the link and brock thank you for putting this together. this really helps quite a bit.

Good to know and I will keep it up with other titles so check back for updates to the Green Lantern list and new ones. ;)
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby MidoriFox » May 25th, 2011 @ 12:08am

Roadie Brock wrote:MidoriFox where you looking for Planetary Vol. 4 in soft or hard cover? I think we have both at the shop. Y: Last Man is available in both soft and hard. Walking Dead should be read in trade. You can always call the shop or email Ryan at the shop about titles we have or that we can get. And if you start Fables you'll have a lot to read there are 15 trades out right now. Good Luck.

I found Planetary 1-4 hardcover on ebay for $110 + free shipping :mrgreen: HELL YEAH!

Roadie Brock thank you for taking my comics to the post office! I ordered something today before you made your run. :D Its kinda crazy to pick up my phone and call Master Higgins its almost like calling a celebrity :lol:
"Its milk and egg, bitch"
MidoriFox

Postby Roadie Brock » May 25th, 2011 @ 9:27am

MidoriFox wrote:I found Planetary 1-4 hardcover on ebay for $110 + free shipping :mrgreen: HELL YEAH!

Roadie Brock thank you for taking my comics to the post office! I ordered something today before you made your run. :D Its kinda crazy to pick up my phone and call Master Higgins its almost like calling a celebrity :lol:

Nice find on those Planetary trades.

And when I did get to the shop your order was there for me to pack up and send out. Enjoy!

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby dabeast0976 » May 25th, 2011 @ 10:03am

Hey Brock, thanks for getting my Planetary trades out. I accidentally had them sent to my home, now i have to go to the PO on Saturday to get them. Oh well, i already brought my daughter to the DMV, now she can experience the awful cruelty of the Post Office. :lol:
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby Roadie Brock » May 25th, 2011 @ 10:13am

dabeast0976 wrote:Hey Brock, thanks for getting my Planetary trades out. I accidentally had them sent to my home, now i have to go to the PO on Saturday to get them. Oh well, i already brought my daughter to the DMV, now she can experience the awful cruelty of the Post Office. :lol:

Ah the simple joys of exposing young ones to the stuff in life that truly sucks.

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby dabeast0976 » May 25th, 2011 @ 11:05am

Roadie Brock wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:Hey Brock, thanks for getting my Planetary trades out. I accidentally had them sent to my home, now i have to go to the PO on Saturday to get them. Oh well, i already brought my daughter to the DMV, now she can experience the awful cruelty of the Post Office. :lol:

Ah the simple joys of exposing young ones to the stuff in life that truly sucks.

After 10 minutes in line at the DMV she broke for the door! I had to grab her and haul her back and say, "I feel the same way, but we have to do this." :D
dabeast0976

Postby Roadie Brock » May 26th, 2011 @ 8:03am

dabeast0976 wrote:
Roadie Brock wrote:

After 10 minutes in line at the DMV she broke for the door! I had to grab her and haul her back and say, "I feel the same way, but we have to do this." :D

Nice! :D

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby grammarrodeo » May 27th, 2011 @ 12:04am

hi guys, I want start reading some comics day and date. I want to read some batman and x men. is there a main story of batman or a better one currently running. I am into the darker batman stuff and i really don't care much for robin. With the x men i am familiar with the 90's cartoons and i like characters like cable and deadpool. thank you.
grammarrodeo

Postby LiQuid » May 27th, 2011 @ 12:21am

grammarrodeo wrote:With the x men i am familiar with the 90's cartoons and i like characters like cable and deadpool. thank you.

Do like I am doing! Go back and read Messiah Compelex/Messiah War/Second Coming. There's an extended Bishop/Cable storyline (Messiah War). I'm using it as a jump on point to start reading Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny X-Men. Deadpool is in X-Force. Lots of rad art and cool action from the sound of it.

I'd at least check out a wikipedia entry on House of M if you don't feel like reading through it. Basically a bunch of mutants lost their powers. It was a cleansing the X-Books desperately needed. It might help you out if you just go look at the list of de-powered mutants. Good luck! Loving what I've read of Messiah Complex so far!

Someone else is going to have to give you a hand with Batman.
LiQuid

Postby Jamo6995 » May 27th, 2011 @ 1:59pm

LiQuid wrote:
grammarrodeo wrote:With the x men i am familiar with the 90's cartoons and i like characters like cable and deadpool. thank you.

Do like I am doing! Go back and read Messiah Compelex/Messiah War/Second Coming. There's an extended Bishop/Cable storyline (Messiah War). I'm using it as a jump on point to start reading Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny X-Men. Deadpool is in X-Force. Lots of rad art and cool action from the sound of it.

I'd at least check out a wikipedia entry on House of M if you don't feel like reading through it. Basically a bunch of mutants lost their powers. It was a cleansing the X-Books desperately needed. It might help you out if you just go look at the list of de-powered mutants. Good luck! Loving what I've read of Messiah Complex so far!

As far as House of M I would highly recommend reading. I am currently re-reading it an it is awesome. Also for batman I believe Roadie Brock posted a nice reading order for it or him and master Higgins mentioned it on their podcast the comic conspiracy.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
Jamo6995

Postby LiQuid » May 27th, 2011 @ 2:57pm

Jamo6995 wrote:As far as House of M I would highly recommend reading. I am currently re-reading it an it is awesome. Also for batman I believe Roadie Brock posted a nice reading order for it or him and master Higgins mentioned it on their podcast the comic conspiracy.

Having not read it, I don't have an opinion either way, but the guy who made the request said he wanted to get into day and date (new) comics, and I figured Messiah was a good jumping on point to hit his favorite characters (Cable and later Deadpool) and then get him caught up to current runs (Uncanny X-Force looks incredible and it only started late last year).
LiQuid

Postby Jamo6995 » May 28th, 2011 @ 8:31am

LiQuid wrote:
Jamo6995 wrote:As far as House of M I would highly recommend reading. I am currently re-reading it an it is awesome. Also for batman I believe Roadie Brock posted a nice reading order for it or him and master Higgins mentioned it on their podcast the comic conspiracy.

Having not read it, I don't have an opinion either way, but the guy who made the request said he wanted to get into day and date (new) comics, and I figured Messiah was a good jumping on point to hit his favorite characters (Cable and later Deadpool) and then get him caught up to current runs (Uncanny X-Force looks incredible and it only started late last year).

Yea I haven't read Messiah yet but seen you recommend it a couple of times. So I think I might pick it up if its that good. I do recommend actually reading House of M especially if you like seeing wolverine go berserk, which he does in like every issue he's in, and so does spider-man.
Jamo6995

Postby dabeast0976 » May 28th, 2011 @ 3:48pm

Roadie Brock wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:
Roadie Brock wrote:

thanks, Brock! Picked up the books with Catie this morning. She handed the postal manager the slip and everything.
dabeast0976

Postby grammarrodeo » May 30th, 2011 @ 9:55am

LiQuid wrote:

I am gonna jump into uncanny x-men and uncanny x-force. wiki is a great way to catch up. Thanks for the help.
grammarrodeo

Postby Roadie Brock » May 30th, 2011 @ 11:53am

dabeast0976 wrote:
Roadie Brock wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:
Roadie Brock wrote:

thanks, Brock! Picked up the books with Catie this morning. She handed the postal manager the slip and everything.

Training a little assistant I see...Good job skills for the future. Hope the books arrived in the condition I packed them and as always enjoy. :)

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Darkpancakes » May 30th, 2011 @ 8:14pm

I am currently collecting all the books from IGN's ultimate bookshelf http://comics.ign.com/articles/646/646012p1.html.

However my problem is that this list was created in 2005 and IGN only has updates for particular superheroes. Now my question is what are the books worth getting that came out from september 1, 2005 till now? Any help would be great.
Darkpancakes

Postby LiQuid » May 30th, 2011 @ 9:07pm

I can't help you but I would like to say that I find it absolutely ridiculous for any sane person to undertake what you are undertaking.
LiQuid

Postby grammarrodeo » May 30th, 2011 @ 9:45pm

I followed Brock's advice and just jumped in to some batman comics. Gates of gotham cover was cool so i picked that up. I am looking forward to the gotham city game so i got that too, and i am gonna jump into batman ongoing. thanks brock.
grammarrodeo

Postby Roadie Brock » May 31st, 2011 @ 8:13am

grammarrodeo wrote:I followed Brock's advice and just jumped in to some batman comics. Gates of gotham cover was cool so i picked that up. I am looking forward to the gotham city game so i got that too, and i am gonna jump into batman ongoing. thanks brock.

You are welcome and I must say your single issue picks to jump into Batman are good ones. I enjoyed both Gates of Gotham #1 and Arkham City #1. With regards to the main Batman book I would try to get in at the beginning of a story arch. Other than that...enjoy! :D

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Darkpancakes » May 31st, 2011 @ 10:07am

LiQuid wrote:I can't help you but I would like to say that I find it absolutely ridiculous for any sane person to undertake what you are undertaking.

What do you mean? its only like a few thousand trades.
Darkpancakes

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2011 @ 11:22am

:lol:

Ridiculous, I say again, though commendable. Post pics!
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 1st, 2011 @ 11:14am

Roadie Brock wrote:
kevinep3 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
kevinep3 wrote:Now I'm sure this has already been asked but im too tired to actually look, but I want to start some green lantern to get all geeky for the movie, so what would a good place to start be? also shorter series i could by in graphic novel from would be better. thanks :D

Brock has a reading list on his blog.

http://conspiratorbrock.blogspot.com/20 ... -list.html

I've read Rebirth. It was pretty good. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to get into more. I keep saying if I ever get into a DC character it'll be Green Lantern, but so far I haven't had a ton of motivation, and gearing up for a movie I probably won't see isn't enough.

Liquid thanks for the link and brock thank you for putting this together. this really helps quite a bit.

Good to know and I will keep it up with other titles so check back for updates to the Green Lantern list and new ones. ;)

So after some buying, and borrowing most of these (and obtaining the last few through other means) ive read pretty much all of the list and damn was it good. I was planning on getting into some more dc stuff, i have some superman and batman stuff so are there some good starting points for them or just any other really good dc lines.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby DarthChris4 » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 11:15pm

My GF and I want to start reading X-Men. I think we're going to check out Whedon's Astonishing run but I want to check out something from the original series. Two questions: 1. Is the original series still being written? 2. Are there any trades that we should pick up?

We're familiar with the 90s cartoon and we've seen all the movies, so we're not new to the major characters, but beyond that we are ignorant of the rest of X-Men stories/history. Thanks. :D
DarthChris4

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 5th, 2011 @ 3:32pm

DarthChris4 wrote:My GF and I want to start reading X-Men. I think we're going to check out Whedon's Astonishing run but I want to check out something from the original series. Two questions: 1. Is the original series still being written? 2. Are there any trades that we should pick up?

We're familiar with the 90s cartoon and we've seen all the movies, so we're not new to the major characters, but beyond that we are ignorant of the rest of X-Men stories/history. Thanks. :D

You're good to read the 4 volumes that he wrote.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Fade2Black » Jun 5th, 2011 @ 3:59pm

Since I mentioned this book in the Episode 10 discussion thread, I'll promote it here as well.

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't too many stories out there featuring cigarette vendors competing for territory à la a series of over-the-top shoot-em-ups, but that's exactly what Smoke and Guns, Kristen Baldock's 2005 original graphic novel is all about. Baldock, a former cigarette vendor herself and current employee at San Francisco's Isotope Comic Lounge, delivers a story that should appeal to Sin City fans. It's a one-shot, so there's not much of a commitment (though a follow-up book is in the works). The book may be a tad difficult to track down. It's available through Amazon, but be sure to check your local comic shop, Comics Conspiracy, or Isotope. Smoke and Guns which contains adult language and the aforementioned over-the-top violence is recommended for mature readers only.
Fade2Black

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 2:13pm

Seems interesting, who's the publisher?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Fade2Black » Jun 7th, 2011 @ 5:11pm

It's put out by a relatively small publisher.
I believe the name is AlT-Planet (?), though I don't have the book in front of me to confirm this.

Edit:
According to a Google search the publisher is AiT/Planet Lar.
Fade2Black

Postby sigh_its » Jun 11th, 2011 @ 8:54pm

Really enjoyed the graphic novel Paying for it by Chester brown. Not a super hero book more of an autobiography in comic form.
sigh_its

Postby Jamo6995 » Jun 14th, 2011 @ 9:20am

So my recommendation, which I just recently picked up and read, for those mega green lantern fans like myself is green lantern: rebirth. Basically the premise is about how Hal Jordan, the first human green lantern, coming back to life from years of being the spectre. Great book I recommend picking it up bc it's awesome and you see batman get knocked the fuck out and it's so magical it makes me all warm inside.
Jamo6995

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics