Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Re: The Official "Recommend me some comics!" Thread!

Postby satanrocksmysocksoff » Sep 1st, 2011 @ 7:38pm

LiQuid wrote:Swearing is not only permitted, but I actively encourage it.

Fuck yeah! I really hate the cunts at my local comic book store, they're a bunch of snooty bastards. I can't really go in there anymore because I told the guy he could eat a dick. So, hopefully this works out.
satanrocksmysocksoff

Postby Roadie Brock » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 7:59am

...and are a major cause of it. :P
"Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem"

http://www.conspiratorbrock.com/
Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Roadie Brock » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 8:34am

satanrocksmysocksoff wrote:I just started reading comics, and by doing so have filled a hole in my life, and created another one in my pocket. What I have finished reading and really liked was the sinestro corps war, blackest night, superman red son, batman dark knight returns, long halloween, and knightfall, and watchmen, and I just started reading flash rebirth. I really am enjoying the books, but I really have no kind of skill when it comes to picking books, i just kind of grab stuff and take suggestions from people i don't like. I'm hoping that you can recommend some stuff to keep me from having to make contact with people I find to be incredibly upsetting. Also, can I swear on the boards? I don't want to start and upset anyone. Thanks in advance.

satanrocksmysocksoff,

We have a random recommendation every episode of the Comic Conspiracy podcast from Ryan and myself, and we talk about a lot of other books too. I can understand your dislike of the guys over at your local shop. I stopped going to some shops around where I live because of just that reason. You could also check out my blog http://conspiratorbrock.blogspot.com/ for other reading. This thread is a great place to get recommendations as well.

Diusgh wrote:This is going to be a pretty vague posting, but as I was saying in the DC reboot thread, I feel that Green Lantern Rebirth really allowed me to step into the DC world a little late in the game with an understanding of some of the stuff that has gone down prior. I'm new to comic reading and thought it was all very daunting to step into. I was looking for a sort of mellow way to enter into the Marvel realm that I would t have to start from 1, but would also fill me in on the core backstory any suggestions?

There is no good jumping on point. You just have to find a spot to get in and go from there. Try Civil War.

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby LiQuid » Sep 2nd, 2011 @ 11:22am

Roadie Brock wrote:

...and are a major cause of it. :P

ICE BURN! My little Brockie Wockie's all grows up. :D
LiQuid

Postby JEKKI » Sep 5th, 2011 @ 9:02pm

I started reading my first graphic novels like a month ago with Dark Knight Returns.

then I read Batman Year One, Superman Red Son,

and now Im reading JLA Tower of Babel.

all good stuff!! Im late to the comic party lol
JEKKI

Postby Roadie Brock » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 11:26am

JEKKI wrote:I started reading my first graphic novels like a month ago with Dark Knight Returns.

then I read Batman Year One, Superman Red Son,

and now Im reading JLA Tower of Babel.

all good stuff!! Im late to the comic party lol

You're can never be too late to the comic party! :P

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Fade2Black » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 7:36pm

Box Office Poison and the newly released edition of Tricked

Image Image

For the benefit of those of you who have the attention span of gnats, or for those that favor parsimony over long-winded reviews, feel free to skip the next segment and check out Alex Robinson's Box Office Poison and Tricked for yourselves.

Alex Robinson's Box Office Poison is one of many unread books that's been idly collecting dust on my shelf for ages. I'm not sure why I waited so long to read it. I've read Tricked, Robinson's follow-up to B.O.P., and enjoyed it immensely. As far as I know, both are stand-alone stories. I'm half-way through B.O.P., and from what I've read so far, it's definitely in the same vein as Tricked. I hate to use the phrase "slice-of-life" stories to describe these books, for I don't know anyone whose lives are as convoluted as the characters portrayed in either book. Both books contain a fair amount of cussing, some nudity and candid sex scenes, though graphic at times, I wouldn't classify the nudity as gratuitous (if that makes sense). Box Office Poison was originally released as monthly series, whereas Tricked was released as one big graphic novel. Despite having been marketed differently, the books are very similar in scope and in content. I can't imagine reading B.O.P. as a monthly, for even at 602 pages the book is a relatively quick read. Odds are, if you pick up either of the two books and enjoy it, you'll like the other one as well. Alex's brand of humor is quirky and irreverent at times, but it's cohesive and for the most part is never overbearing. Interwoven throughout B.O.P. are a series of one page interludes whereby a random question is asked and various characters give their responses. At first, the questions seem to detract from what's transpiring story-wise, but they're not entirely without purpose. In a roundabout way, these seemingly random interludes serve to give the reader a better understanding of what makes each character tick - so to speak. Considering B.O.P. is a very character-driven story, these tiny bits of insight manage to propel the story, just as much as they interrupt it. Given that B.O.P. was originally released as a monthly title, I suspect these "random" filler pages were inserted at either the beginning or end of each monthly issue. Since these "random" asides probably won't give too much away, I've opted to include one here as an example of Alex Robinson's art and writing style.

click to embiggen

Box Office Poison was originally published as a monthly series by Antarctic Press.
Both Box Office Poison and Tricked are currently published by Top Shelf Productions.
Box Office Poison is 602 pages and retails for $29.95 U.S.
Tricked is 350 pages and retails for $19.99 U.S. (a newly released edition of Tricked is currently on sale at Top Shelf for $10.00)
Fade2Black

Postby LiQuid » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 8:10pm

What the fuck is that awful shit? "Corporate Comics Suck" T-shirt? :lol:
LiQuid

Postby AJR » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 8:40pm

I bought Tricked because I thought the cover was really cool, and I generally like slice of life stories.

I didn't like it. The art is bland, the dialogue doesn't feel natural and I don't have any interest in any of the characters. I think my biggest gripe is that it just feels like it was written by someone who just doesn't "get" people.
I do a podcast with some guy. Feel free to listen.
http://earth-2.net/podcasts/extralives/extralives
AJR

Postby Fade2Black » Sep 6th, 2011 @ 9:36pm

LiQuid wrote:What the fuck is that awful shit? "Corporate Comics Suck" T-shirt? :lol:

Much of Box Office Poison is centers around people who have either been or are trying to break into the comic book business. In the case of the gal in the shirt, she's been rejected by the big publishers on account of her style and subject matter not being up to their standards. The elderly guy in the bottom right panel of that page is an artist who created a very popular character. The character he created is a hit at the box office, but the early on in his career he was swindled out the rights to the character.

AJR wrote:I bought Tricked because I thought the cover was really cool, and I generally like slice of life stories.

I didn't like it. The art is bland, the dialogue doesn't feel natural and I don't have any interest in any of the characters. I think my biggest gripe is that it just feels like it was written by someone who just doesn't "get" people.

As much as I enjoyed Tricked, Box Office Poison (at least what I've read so far) has resonated with me more. The characters in Tricked do seem somewhat detached from reality, hence my hesitance to classify it as a "slice-of-life" book. I liked it for what it was. Box Office Poison is a little bit more rooted in reality, especially in its presentation of the darker side of the book industry. Taking that into consideration, I may have been overly presumptuous in my claim that if you enjoy one book you'll probably like the other. The art style is fairly consistent between the two books, and admittedly such a style might not be everyone's cup-of-tea.

Based upon what I've read so far, the book industry seems to be a common thread that connects B.O.P.'s characters. Sherman, the character in the upper left panel of the page I posted, works at a book store. Anyone who has ever worked retail, will likely appreciate the thought balloons that appear over his head whenever obnoxious customers pester him.

I make no apologies for liking these books, nor will I be so pretentious as to admonish someone for not liking them. People's tastes are bound to vary. Many of the books already recommended in this thread are readily available at your local library. Check them out for yourself. If ya find something you decided is worth owning then show your support by purchasing it from your local comic shop (or from Conspiracy if you don't have a LCS). (God, that sounded canned.)
Fade2Black

Postby JEKKI » Sep 13th, 2011 @ 10:05pm

I finished reading Tower of Babel.

went to the store today and picked up Green Lantern Rebirth!

the guy at the store also recommended me sum good Marvel graphic novels!!

Daredevil Yellow, Deadpool Secret Invasion, and House of M.
JEKKI

Postby Roadie Brock » Sep 14th, 2011 @ 12:56am

JEKKI wrote:I finished reading Tower of Babel.

went to the store today and picked up Green Lantern Rebirth!

the guy at the store also recommended me sum good Marvel graphic novels!!

Daredevil Yellow, Deadpool Secret Invasion, and House of M.

Green Lantern: Rebirth, Daredevil: Yellow and House of M are all very good choices. I'm not a Deadpool fan so I don't know about Deadpool: Secret Invasion. Sounds like you got some reading ahead of you.

Roadie Brock
Official Geekbox Roadie

Postby Royce » Sep 19th, 2011 @ 11:20am

Okay, please don't judge me because I'm not a big comics person and haven't read anything in a long time...

Back in the day I was a big fan of the Joe Madureira style and I absolutely loved Battle Chasers (and to some extent his X-Men work)... if this makes me a tool oh well. I also have enjoyed the Transformers comics a lot (similar cool art style, and I've been a fan of the cartoon since childhood). Occasionally I will dabble in the traditional super hero comics, but primarily when it's an interesting storyline - I can't stand the regurgitation of plots that always happens. For example, I read and enjoyed the more 'stand on their own' stories back in the day like Kingdom Come and Age of Apocalypse.

That being said, what visually interesting trades would you recommend with more or less standalone stories?

I've considered Living Dead but I kind of want to just watch the show as it happens... I was at a comic store the other day flipping through Wasteland... that one any good? What else?
Royce

Postby LiQuid » Sep 19th, 2011 @ 12:20pm

Skip Walking (not Living) Dead. It's not interesting, visually or otherwise. Other people are going to tell you it is, but it's not. The show, for as bad as it is, is probably better.

I can't recommended Batwoman Elegy highly enough. Higgins steered me to it a couple weeks ago. It has quite possibly the best artwork I've ever seen in a comic. It also has a nice, self contained story, which even acts as an origin story, since it's the first major arc for the character. I can't think of a better $15 you can spend on a single comic. Check out these god damned pages!!

http://i.imgur.com/hckAX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GpYhx.jpg
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/under ... 0x1014.jpg
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/under ... 0x1014.jpg
LiQuid

Postby Royce » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 11:58am

Those art links have sold me, I will probably check that one.

You're the first real contrarian I've heard about the Walking Dead, have you elaborated on why you don't like it elsewhere in the forums? If so I can look up those old discussions.

Anyway I'll be waiting for the show regardless.
Royce

Postby LiQuid » Sep 20th, 2011 @ 12:19pm

I probably overreacted to the comic's badness cause I read the first trade after watching the first couple episodes of the show and the show was better. It probably isn't terrible, but it's certainly not as good people paint it to be. I constantly hear Higgins saying that after he sells the first trade he never has someone not come back and buy more, and I think that's bullshit. The first trade relies on a "shock" moment at the end of the 6th issue that someone was telling me was going to change how I felt about the book. It was just a kid shooting a guy. Like a human guy. Oh, I'm so shocked! The actual storytelling/writing/whatever just didn't feel interesting compared to the more complex nuance of the show. In the end, however, the last couple episodes of the first season of the show ended up sucking out loud, so I was overreacting to that as well.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Sep 27th, 2011 @ 3:11pm

Anybody got a link to a website that lists which new comics come out every Wednesday? I've been using the ad page in Justice League to keep up with the first month of New 52 titles, but I'd kinda like to start planning on picking up a couple other things every week if I can.
LiQuid

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 5:09am

LiQuid wrote:Anybody got a link to a website that lists which new comics come out every Wednesday?

For DC Comics.
I use Comixology and it lets you create pull lists and it emails you the list every Wednesday morning.
Lombaszko

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 10:54am

Wanted one for all comics, but thanks. Doesn't Diamond have some global weekly shipping list or something?
LiQuid

Postby Lombaszko » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 11:34am

Lombaszko

Postby LiQuid » Sep 28th, 2011 @ 11:49am

Success. Thanks.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 1:16pm

I've got Punisher fever. Punisher was one of the few Marvel books I read growing up. He was like Batman only good. Punisher War Zone has me all excited about him again.

So someone do me a huge solid and just recommend one (maaaaaybe 2) Punisher trades to pick up. I don't want to hear about so-and-so's run or read some rehash Punisher Year One or Secret Origins nonsense or whatever. Just give me the title of a good trade or two I can pick up and see Punisher murder the fuck out of some assholes. Cheers!
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 1:22pm

Welcome Back, Frank by Ennis and Dillon. You'll thank me.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 1:45pm

Much obliged my bro. Your knowledge of comics is borderline encyclopedic!
LiQuid

Postby Fade2Black » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 2:32pm

And now for something completely different:

Project X: Nissin Cup Noodle is a rare example of U.S. published documentary manga.
The book traces the history of Cup Noodle soup; I shit you not. In addition to the manga portion, the book is chop-full of photos documenting the evolution of the product. As far as reads go, it's sort of a novelty and a captivating one at that. The book was even nominated for an Eisner Award. Originally published in 2006 by Digital Manga Publishing, the book is long-since out of print, and has become sort of a collector's item. It lists for $59.99 new on Amazon, but used copies for far less are readily available.
Fade2Black

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 2:46pm

F2B, you're misusing this thread again. This thread is for asking for comic recommendations. Not giving recommendations that nobody wants or plugging obscure indie comics.
LiQuid

Postby Fade2Black » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 3:40pm

LiQuid wrote:F2B, you're misusing this thread again. This thread is for asking for comic recommendations. Not giving recommendations that nobody wants or plugging obscure indie comics.

This thread is for making recommendations. If by "nobody", you are making a self-reference then I can understand the source of your confusion. I recommended a comic that I felt deserved some recognition. It seems to me, the only "plugging" you do around here is backing up the forum with all your snide commentary. I have a recommendation for that as well.

Fade2Black

Postby LiQuid » Oct 4th, 2011 @ 3:44pm

How many copies of your noodle book do you think you just sold?
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 8:30am

LiQuid wrote:Much obliged my bro. Your knowledge of comics is borderline encyclopedic!

No big. Tell me what you thought of it after you get through.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Oct 5th, 2011 @ 9:23pm

jinpei05 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Much obliged my bro. Your knowledge of comics is borderline encyclopedic!

No big. Tell me what you thought of it after you get through.

OMG. Within the first few pages when Punisher made a man's head backwards, I knew this was the book I was looking for. Thanks!
LiQuid

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics