Wherein we discuss sequential drawings, linked together by word balloons to form meaningful narratives.

Who's your winning team?

Justice League of America
33%
Justice Society of America
67%

Total votes : 3

JLA or JSA?

Postby Jaebird » Jun 29th, 2009 @ 2:55pm

What's the difference between the two teams? As far as I know, one has the modern, A-team heroes and the other has the old-timers and the B-team heroes. And which would be a better read? I've only had the Justice League animated series to get by on.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Offering $5 sketches.)
Jaebird

Re: JLA or JSA?

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 29th, 2009 @ 4:47pm

Jaebird wrote:What's the difference between the two teams? As far as I know, one has the modern, A-team heroes and the other has the old-timers and the B-team heroes. And which would be a better read? I've only had the Justice League animated series to get by on.

The Justice Society of America was the first super-hero team. They started during WWII, and featured characters like The Flash, Green Lantern, Hourman, Hawkman, Sandman, and Spectre. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman were honorary members who sometimes appeared in the book. Once DC reinvented all their major heroes in the 60s, they brought the "Trinity" into the Justice League of America, making it impossible for them to have also fought along their namesakes 20 years earlier. This brought about the concept of Earth-1 and Earth-2 (JLA from 1, JSA from 2), different Earths with similar histories. In the modern day comics timeline, post Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Trinity were never part of the JSA, with Superman only having becoming a public figure "10-15 years ago" (the ever-drifting modern time line puts Superman's appearance as the first rebirth of the super hero after the JSA was disbanded during the Red Scare of the McCarthy Era).

The current JSA book is about this group of older heroes trying to teach the young generation. The JLA is the World's Mightiest Heroes in grand adventures to save the world. In theory. In reality, they're both groups of super heroes who fight people :lol:

I'd *highly* suggest reading any of the Grant Morrison JLA books from the late 90s/early 00s, and the recent Geoff Johns' penned JSA series. They're what I'd consider the quintessential stories of each book. If you get into them, there are tons of other books worth checking out.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Jaebird » Jun 29th, 2009 @ 5:07pm

Master Higgins wrote:I'd *highly* suggest reading any of the Grant Morrison JLA books from the late 90s/early 00s, and the recent Geoff Johns' penned JSA series. They're what I'd consider the quintessential stories of each book. If you get into them, there are tons of other books worth checking out.

I'll see what I can find in the shop. But with Morrison, I haven't really found myself wanting more from him. Though, I'll try to read his JLA when I can.

Thanks for the tip =)
Jaebird

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 12:35am

Option #3: The Avengers. Sorry, I'm a Marvel Zombie, always have been.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby Sokkratez » Jun 30th, 2009 @ 1:16am

JSA is the most consistently good team book that DC has ever had. Including Classified. All the stuff by Geoff Johns is golden, but I like everything else, too.
Sokkratez

Postby exwingzero » Jul 1st, 2009 @ 12:53pm

Jaebird wrote:What's the difference between the two teams? As far as I know, one has the modern, A-team heroes and the other has the old-timers and the B-team heroes. And which would be a better read? I've only had the Justice League animated series to get by on.

I'm going to preface this with "this is only my opinion but..."
Honestly the difference I find between the two is what fuels the books. JLA is more about about the situations the team at the moment gets into and how they get out of those sticky situations, there is a bit of character development but most development is done in the solo books if they have them. JSA is more character driven, it's more based on the family aspect and teamwork behind the umm...team. I like JSA more than JLA but that's just me. I hope this helpped.

~Joe
If someone ask if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!
exwingzero

Postby Jaebird » Jul 6th, 2009 @ 7:23am

I picked up JSA: Next Age last week, and I read it last night. My God, I love this book. I especially love Cyclone and her little quirks (aside from being a redhead ;)) :D

Can't wait to read more when I go pick up another trade this week.
Jaebird

Postby exwingzero » Jul 6th, 2009 @ 10:24am

Jaebird wrote:I picked up JSA: Next Age last week, and I read it last night. My God, I love this book. I especially love Cyclone and her little quirks (aside from being a redhead ;)) :D

Can't wait to read more when I go pick up another trade this week.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
If someone ask if you're a god, YOU SAY YES!
exwingzero

More info

Postby CaseySpige » Sep 8th, 2017 @ 9:59pm

CaseySpige

JLA or JSA

Postby Sonomyxg » Oct 4th, 2017 @ 11:49am

JSA is fantastic, nothing better than the kingdom Superman.
JLA lost me when they started splitting the book into two stories.
I'm using this superior trading system for profitable business
Sonomyxg

Forum Statistics