Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Whatcha been watching?

Postby LiQuid » Jun 14th, 2016 @ 7:05pm

You motherfucker. What was stopping you from watching it last year when I was begging people to watch it because it's amazing?
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 16th, 2016 @ 4:14am

LiQuid wrote:You motherfucker. What was stopping you from watching it last year when I was begging people to watch it because it's amazing?

It was already too far in and I didn't have a way of watching the first few episodes.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Jun 16th, 2016 @ 6:11am

Fucking liar. Even if you've got a moral opposition to swiping that shit, they were airing for free on the USA website.
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 16th, 2016 @ 2:42pm

Oh well if i knew that i soulda watched but otherwise was not aware.
kevinep3

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 17th, 2016 @ 9:49am

You're pretty salty about it. Did it get cancelled due to low ratings or something?
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Jun 17th, 2016 @ 11:30am

No the 2nd season is about to air because it's mega awesome and super popular, no thanks to any of you dumb fucks.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 17th, 2016 @ 3:25pm

It's pretty good and all but it's no Fargo and I was the only one watching that for two seasons.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 17th, 2016 @ 5:09pm

Mr_eX wrote:It's pretty good and all but it's no Fargo and I was the only one watching that for two seasons.

The only one? I was a little behind on season 2 but not much
kevinep3

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 17th, 2016 @ 5:31pm

You were like 8 episodes behind at one point
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 18th, 2016 @ 7:38am

Yeah but i was watching season one as it aired so ha
kevinep3

Postby LiQuid » Jun 18th, 2016 @ 8:17am

ATTENTION ALL PEOPLE

I have just witnessed the single most hilarious scene in all of television history.

The setup:

Rick Grimes and his group of misfit survivors have enlisted the aid of an allied settlement to infiltrate the camp of the Big Bads of the season. In order to do this, they must produce the head of the allies' leader and since they don't want him dead they've hunted down lookalike zombies to use in its place.

I now provide the ensuing scene for your consideration, with no further comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_UgnYMXBtA
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 18th, 2016 @ 6:15pm

Finished Season 4 of Boardwalk. The production values of this show are staggering to me. I'm more impressed by the period accurate setting and wardrobe than I am with GoT. And the acting is legitimately amazing. Season 4's ending was a little weak tho. Some amazing moments but in general everyone's fall from grace just didn't really have the right oomph. There's also some logical inconsitencies as well that I don't get.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Jul 16th, 2016 @ 2:29pm

Spoiler: show
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Jul 16th, 2016 @ 3:45pm

Finished Boardwalk Empire. Last season was a mixed bag. The timeskip was great. Moving from the Roaring 20s into the Depression was amazing. The flashbacks to Nucky's childhood was amazing. The buildup to Nucky selling his soul to the devil in those flashbacks was amazing too. Seeing Nucky deal with the ideas of family and legacy was amazing. Literally every second Al Capone was on screen was amazing (like always). Most of the side stories were awful. All of the empowered black characters stories ending in tragedy was appropriate and amazing. Every second Michael K. Williams does anything in this show is a delight. Michael Shannon is a legend. The way it ended was fitting but fucking stupid. Get your poetic justice and lame story threads out of here. Just like every season, Gillian Darmody's storyline is actually the worst shit ever. Still a lot of solid stuff. But mostly, it made me wish I was watching a different show. Namely:

A Boardwalk Empire that had a much more deliberate pace a la Mad Men, so we could see a more nuanced progression of time and culture through the Prohibition Era, rather than this show that frontloaded most of the series to the beginning of the 20s, then massive timeskip to a short season in '32.

or

We would get to see a full show following the young Nucky Thompson. Stretch his backstory out into a full show. The Guilded Age was a fascinating time in American History, and is rarely discussed or explored, and the transition from then to the 20th Century would have been just as fascinating, if not more so.

or

A show just following this show's version of Al Capone. I thought it was problematic for this show that the sideshow of Al Capone managed to pretty much steal the show and be the best part of it. It puts AMC's pathetic Al Capone show to shame. The moment where Al talks to his kid and comes clean with him, and then composes himself before walking into court was probably the single most affecting thing in the entire show, right next to Michael K. William's final scenes.

On the whole, I really liked this show, even though it had a lot of problems. I think this show is the career defining moment of Steve Buscemi's career, even if his character was inherently limited and incapable of carrying the show. I think it also sets a gold standard for historical dramas too, with regards to always bringing it, day in and day out with regards to the thought and accuracy put into every little background detail in the setting, clothing, culture, etc. It's also a fascinating lens to look back at an era of American extravagance and expose the public to the truth of the Good Ole Days mouth-breathing idiots yearn for. I think the show could have been improved with a lot of tweaks, removal of B-plots, and depicting some stuff that never got much time or exposure (which probably couldn't due to funding) like prison life back then, or the back-breaking labor industry of the time required. Mostly though, this show ending makes me want more of it, or more high quality historical dramas like it, but I know there's very little out there, or at least very little that would live up to my expectations. Maybe I'll just watch a bunch of Ken Burns documentaries, or rewatch John Adams again. Man, HBO is the best.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 4th, 2016 @ 8:32pm

I watched Stranger Things after every podcast on the planet raving about it last week, and talking about how Goonies it is.

It was decent. But none of the things I actually like about Goonies is present in it. It's got kids and their older teenage siblings in a supernatural situation, but doesn't really share the same tone at all.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Aug 4th, 2016 @ 8:50pm

It's got BIKES bro, remember the BIKES in Goonies? Yeah, after like 3 episodes I was PISSED and ready to shitpost all over the internet about how I was sold a bill of goods about it being like Goonies and it was most certainly not. I ended up not liking the show very much at all in the end. All of the characters were half baked and one-note at best and it seemed like the plot to a corny Stephen King book stretched out in about 5 more episodes than it deserved. I could be convinced to watch a 2nd season, even considering if it turns out the Akira girl somehow survived the ending, but if it's just shitty kids being shitty and Winona Ryder overacting like a dumbfuck again for 8 more episodes I'm definitely out.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 4th, 2016 @ 8:57pm

LiQuid wrote:All of the characters were half baked and one-note at best and it seemed like the plot to a corny Stephen King book stretched out in about 5 more episodes than it deserved.
Completely agree. It's got more in common with the flashback portions of IT than it does with Goonies.

It's got none of the sense of adventure or wonder that Goonies does. It's just the threatening menace parts.

I will say, as others have mentioned:
I DID like that the seemingly skeptical bumbling sheriff ended up not being a skeptical bumbling sheriff. And the dumb jock boyfriend ended up not being a dumb jock boyfriend(or at least, he got better).

Though the shitty middleschool bullies could not have adhered to their tropes harder.
DarthEnder

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 4th, 2016 @ 10:09pm

Not sure why everyone is comparing it to The Goonies. It's a completely different genre.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 5th, 2016 @ 3:16am

To be fair, being a different genre doesn't mean you can't compare the two. Or should I not compare Star Wars with Space Balls?
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Aug 5th, 2016 @ 3:26am

kenzo wrote:To be fair, being a different genre doesn't mean you can't compare the two. Or should I not compare Star Wars with Space Balls?

That's a shitty comparison. One is a literal parody of the other. Parodies are rarely in the same genre as the thing they're parodying, but the comparison is the entire point.
DarthEnder

Postby Mikis_Stopwatch » Aug 30th, 2016 @ 9:40pm

DarthEnder wrote:That's a shitty comparison. One is a literal parody of the other. Parodies are rarely in the same genre as the thing they're parodying, but the comparison is the entire point.

Here's a better example: Why shouldn't I compare Star Wars with Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit(The book)? They're all coming of age tales, with the main hero joining a group of scrappy underdogs in a quest that morphs into a larger quest on an epic scale, all of them involve magic and strange races and people.

However, I think the real difference between The Goonies and Stranger things is the tone and intended audience of both works, far more than the genre. Stranger Things is obviously aimed at the adults who grew up watching the goonies and other 80s kids movies, and affords itself a darker tone and bigger stakes accordingly.
Mikis_Stopwatch

Postby Fade2Black » Aug 31st, 2016 @ 7:44pm

I've been watching mostly stuff that's been out for a while now. Daredevil season 2, Walking Dead season 6, classic Doctor Who, etc... About the only current show I'm watching on a weekly basis is Mr. Robot. As for movies, the other day I started re-watching some of the Star Trek films (skipped ST: The Motion Picture & V). It had been a while since I had seen most of them, and Star Trek's upcoming 50th anniversary seemed as good as an excuse as any to revisit them.
Fade2Black

Postby Mikis_Stopwatch » Aug 31st, 2016 @ 7:56pm

Ah I forgot to say what I was watching, last week it was Seven Samurai and The Third Man, this week I've only watched Stalker.
Mikis_Stopwatch

Postby kenzo » Sep 14th, 2016 @ 5:36am

Atlanta is a really good TV show.
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Oct 5th, 2016 @ 11:40pm

Dun watched Luke Cage.

Has the same problem as every single other one of these Netflix series. It's 10 episodes worth of story in 13 episodes.

Still liked it though.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Nov 14th, 2016 @ 1:04am

Finished Ash Vs. Evil Dead.

It really goes off the rails in the last two episodes, but in a very Evil Dead way.

I thought they were going to do the stable time loop thing where them going back in time would actually end up causing the events of the first movie. But that didn't happen. Good on them for not using that cliche!

I thought for sure the ending was a dream sequence. Because they're back in the present. How did they get back to the present when they don't have the book? There's no writing on Pablo's skin anymore and the real book was swallowed up in the ground.

Overall though, still liked the 2nd season more than the first. It has a much more Army of Darkness vibe to it. And that's my jam. He even acknowledges the fact that AoD happened this season which they suspiciously didn't mention at all in season 1.
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 3rd, 2017 @ 11:13pm

Anyone watch the premier of Powerless?

New DC series about people without powers with Danny Pudi and Alan Tudyk?
DarthEnder

Postby DarthEnder » Feb 23rd, 2017 @ 2:15am

Been watching Legion.

I WANT to like it, because it's really good. Problem is, it's kind of nonstop with it's depiction of soul crushing mental instability. And after awhile it becomes draining to watch.
DarthEnder

Postby StefAnders » Feb 24th, 2017 @ 8:57am

I haven't been watching many series recently, but couple of weeks ago I've found out tv series called "Stranger Things" and I think it's awesome! You should definitely check it out if you haven't already! '80 in America! :twisted:
“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”
StefAnders

Previous
Forum Statistics