Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Community is the best show ever.

Postby kenzo » Oct 29th, 2009 @ 11:26pm

I know I have a reputation around here for exaggerating, but Jesus Christ. I haven't seen a TV show this awesome since... ever really. If you don't think so, you're absolutely wrong, perspective and relativism be damned. I'm kind of disturbed at how nobody has mentioned this show anywhere on these boards or on the podcast.
kenzo

Re: Community is the best show ever.

Postby Hellsfire » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 3:44am

I agree. I tried to mention it on another board but got ripped for it. I think those 33-35 and up won't like it because they don't understand sarcasm. Watching that show, reminds me of my friends--a lot of sarcasm, a lot of racial jokes, and we're all jackasses. It's a shame it'll probably be canceled since it's on NBC.
Hellsfire

Postby kenzo » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 4:39am

Hellsfire wrote:It's a shame it'll probably be canceled since it's on NBC.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!

Yea, I relate to the show a lot as well. I know people in real life just like those guys, I'm relatively fresh out of college, and I was at once point the guy who was too cool/smart/smug to be in community college but learned to love it. That said, it doesn't use the setting as a crutch and I feel the show smart and interesting on it's own, developing great characters without relying on any gimmicks. I firmly believe anyone can enjoy this show.
kenzo

Postby GiantAsianMan » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 5:23am

Hellsfire wrote:It's a shame it'll probably be canceled since it's on NBC.

FYI, its already gotten a full season pickup by NBC.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby mtcantor » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 10:02am

I like Joel McHale, I like The Breakfast Club... I like the show.

But, I do wish it wasn't quite as sentimental. Feels forced at times.

Could be great though. We will see how it goes next season (if and when).

Not the best show ever btw. But good.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby Info » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 12:44pm

I love this show. Joel McHale is great, but I've really come to love Abed. The episode where he "laid low" I thought was the weakest. Also, John Oliver is awesome, and if you enjoy his humor you should definitely check out the Bugle Podcast, one of my favorites.

I think this has slightly edged out Bored to Death as my favorite new show.
Info

Postby mtcantor » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 1:32pm

Oliver was on Marc Maron's podcast a while back "WTF" and said that he only taped 3 or 4 episodes of Community. We may not see him back for a while.
Currently Playing: Heavy Rain, Dragon Age: Origins, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Saints Row 2
Recently finished: Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2,No More Heroes 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders
mtcantor

Postby kenzo » Oct 30th, 2009 @ 4:07pm

Abed is the best. His Halloween costume? I nearly died of laughter. No seriously, I had a hard time breathing - we had to pause the show to let the laughter subside. They could probably make a spin-off show with just Abed and Troy, have it be a complete rip-off of Harold & Kumar, and it would be awesome.

"Am I Batman? Maybe. Yes. Only on Halloween."
kenzo

Postby Hellsfire » Oct 31st, 2009 @ 2:48am

GiantAsianMan wrote:FYI, its already gotten a full season pickup by NBC.

Where'd you find this at? Does this mean that they picked it up for next season or that they're just going to finish this season?

And that teacher was hot. She looked familiar but I couldn't remember where I might have seen her before.
Hellsfire

Postby GiantAsianMan » Oct 31st, 2009 @ 6:05am

Hellsfire wrote:Where'd you find this at?

Here: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Community-M ... 11212.aspx

Hellsfire wrote:Does this mean that they picked it up for next season or that they're just going to finish this season?

Neither, really, but the latter for the most part. A full season pick up (ie- getting the additional 9 episodes on top of the original 13 to make a full season of 22) doesn't necessarily mean it'll get a second season, but its a pretty good sign. Not getting a full season pick up means a show is dead (see: Trauma), so its kinda like step 1 for renewal next season.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby sopachuco13 » Nov 3rd, 2009 @ 1:42am

As soon as I heard that Chevy Chase was on this show I knew that I wanted to see it. My mom works at a community college and I took a few pre-reqs at a CC, and the stereotypical characters are pretty spot on.

The pilot episode was really slow and was by far the worst of all of the episodes. The rest of the series has been pretty good. Troy and Abed are a pretty funny duo.
sopachuco13

Postby kenzo » Nov 4th, 2009 @ 3:51pm

Chevy Chase's character is pretty entertaining, but I'm glad he's only in a supporting role. It just wouldn't be as funny if the camera followed him all the time (plus, his character is probably the most one dimensional out of them all).
kenzo

Postby Lopsidedown » Nov 5th, 2009 @ 4:44am

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best show ever. But it's a welcome new addition to my viewing schedule. Right up there next to Modern Family.
Lopsidedown

Postby d0ug18 » Nov 18th, 2009 @ 8:08pm

The best part of this best show ever is the ending bits where it seems like the characters just get to play around and do whatever they think is funny.
d0ug18

Postby LiQuid » Dec 22nd, 2009 @ 1:33am

Couple friends recommended this to me yesterday so I watched a couple episodes on Hulu and it's not making me laugh. When does it get funny?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 22nd, 2009 @ 3:27am

LiQuid wrote:Couple friends recommended this to me yesterday so I watched a couple episodes on Hulu and it's not making me laugh. When does it get funny?

Whenever you save up enough money for that funny-bone transplant.
kenzo

Postby MrBiggs » Dec 22nd, 2009 @ 7:10am

I'll admit that the later episodes are funnier than the early episodes, but the early episodes are still funny.
MrBiggs

Postby LiQuid » Dec 22nd, 2009 @ 11:10am

Hmmm, maybe I'm just not getting it. Weird, I'm usually pretty good at picking up subtle, dry humor (Flight of the Conchords is one of my favorite shows of recent memory). Just seems like Community is trying to be too clever for its own good. I've only watched two episodes so far (I'll give it a few more), but so far I've enjoyed them much less than the first handful of eps of Modern Family, which was pretty damn funny regardless of being poorly constructed and aping everything that made The Office funny before the whole Jim/Pam bullshit took over.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Dec 22nd, 2009 @ 12:40pm

LiQuid, it took me until the Halloween episode until I really laughed. I dunno, I love Joel McHale, but the show didn't really do it for me. I'm still watching, but you're not the only one that doesn't really like it.

But I don't like The Office or any other show like this, outside of Arrested Development, so what do I know.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Dec 22nd, 2009 @ 4:17pm

I dunno, episode three was pretty perfect. The Dead Poet's Society teacher and Abed's Citizen Kane had me laughing pretty hard. :lol:
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 24th, 2009 @ 2:53am

Good gracious. Ken Jeong is hysterical.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Dec 24th, 2009 @ 5:00am

El Tigre!
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Dec 24th, 2009 @ 3:00pm

Holy fucking shit. I just watched the Halloween episode. That might have been one of the funniest episodes of anything ever.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Dec 24th, 2009 @ 5:45pm

Ok, consider me on the "best show ever" boat. This scene solidified it.
LiQuid

Postby Bondo3408 » Jan 1st, 2010 @ 11:46am

I watched episode one and two and both were pretty funny. I'm gonna catch up so I can watch this show when its actually on TV.... hopefully it doesn't get dropped.
Bondo3408

Postby Lopsidedown » Jan 14th, 2010 @ 11:55pm

Man, so uh, what happened this week?
The christmas episode was probably the best of the series, but then to follow it up with possibly the worst?
I get that they were trying to make Jack Black's character obnoxious, and have him throw off the entire group, but I think it worked too well.

It's like Community was trying to bring attention to how great its cast is by shutting them down and focusing elsewhere. Why waste an entire episode with pointing out what we already know?
Lopsidedown

Postby kenzo » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 1:17am

Lopsidedown wrote:Man, so uh, what happened this week?
The christmas episode was probably the best of the series, but then to follow it up with possibly the worst?
I get that they were trying to make Jack Black's character obnoxious, and have him throw off the entire group, but I think it worked too well.

It's like Community was trying to bring attention to how great its cast is by shutting them down and focusing elsewhere. Why waste an entire episode with pointing out what we already know?

Are you high? J/k, but seriously, that was a great episode. I liked Jack Black on there, it was only for one episode and I can appreciate irony in my humor. Besides, you're seriously gonna try to convince me that the El Tigre rap was anything but inspired? That shit is getting turned into a ringtone, pronto!
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jan 15th, 2010 @ 8:10am

Haven't watched it yet, but I'm generally alright with JB.

I waited until after the Xmas episode to burn through the entire first half of the season in like two sittings, so I don't want to play the week-by-week with it. I'll wait until it wraps up and marathon the rest.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 2nd, 2010 @ 12:37pm

Master Higgins wrote:LiQuid, it took me until the Halloween episode until I really laughed. I dunno, I love Joel McHale, but the show didn't really do it for me. I'm still watching, but you're not the only one that doesn't really like it.

But I don't like The Office or any other show like this, outside of Arrested Development, so what do I know.

This man is an idiot.

Community is hilarious.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Mar 2nd, 2010 @ 12:56pm

Yeah it got really good. Did the second half of the season finish yet? I need moar.
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics