Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Started watching The Wire

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 22nd, 2010 @ 1:59pm

A lot of people say The Wire is "the best TV show ever" so I figured I'd watch it. I'm about 7 episodes in and it's good but it's not THAT good. I've heard that you have to stick with it for a few seasons before it really pays off but so far I'm kind of disappointed.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Re: Started watching The Wire

Postby LiQuid » Feb 22nd, 2010 @ 5:46pm

I watched the entire first season and didn't like it at all. There were some cringe worthily, poorly written scenes in that show. I don't understand the love at all. One of HBO's poorest recent offerings.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 22nd, 2010 @ 6:49pm

I've heard that you have to watch at least the first 2 seasons before it gets good. Apparently the 2nd season isn't even about the same characters as the first season, I don't know if thats true or not.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby indieinsd » Feb 22nd, 2010 @ 9:07pm

Yeah THE WIRE is on the list of shows I'm going to be catching up on now that they are over. I'm Juggling SIX FEET UNDER and NIP/TUCK right now see it's going to have to wait.

On another note I'm super surprised how much I'm liking NIP/TUCK. I heard a lot of great things about it but the combination of the two characters and their extremely fucked up but quasi normal lives is enthralling. Some of baby drama melodrama is a little soapy but it's still good.
indieinsd

Postby Fallen_Angel » Feb 22nd, 2010 @ 10:15pm

I am patiently waiting until my summer hols in 2 months to get the boxsets. Until then I will avoid this thread
Afro
Fallen_Angel

Postby LiQuid » Feb 23rd, 2010 @ 7:34am

indieinsd wrote:Yeah THE WIRE is on the list of shows I'm going to be catching up on now that they are over. I'm Juggling SIX FEET UNDER and NIP/TUCK right now see it's going to have to wait.

On another note I'm super surprised how much I'm liking NIP/TUCK. I heard a lot of great things about it but the combination of the two characters and their extremely fucked up but quasi normal lives is enthralling. Some of baby drama melodrama is a little soapy but it's still good.

Both of those shows are fucking miracles. I'm not kidding. 6FU was amazing through its whole run and has the single most affecting series finale I've ever seen. N/T is seriously fucked up in the best way, but it gets a bit soap operatic in the fourth+ seasons. Still entertaining as shit and worth watching, but the writers kind of go on autopilot after while.

Man, I almost want to watch 6FU in its entirety again it's such an amazing program.
LiQuid

Postby kiwi » Feb 23rd, 2010 @ 7:43am

I was actually going to go back and re-watch/finish 6 feet under in the next few weeks. As for Nip/Tuck, I loved it until the fourth season. I actually just stopped watching it halfway through that season, I was so disappointed.
kiwi

Postby Jon Cole » Feb 23rd, 2010 @ 6:41pm

I'd try to make the argument that you're somehow not getting The Wire and it is in fact the best television show ever produced, but the argument has been made so many times that I defer to Google on this one. That, and I'll throw in an obligatory "different strokes for different folks" and call it a day.
Jon Cole

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 25th, 2010 @ 7:23am

I finished season 1 last night and I liked it but I really don't see why people say this show is the best ever. As far as first seasons of TV shows go, Veronica Mars, Lost, Firefly, Twin Peaks are better.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Feb 26th, 2010 @ 5:15am

I've avoided watching this show, mostly because I've been incessantly annoyed by a bunch of relatively privileged (mostly) white people who claim this is the best show ever because of how legit and real it is; people who have never stepped foot in a real ghetto, and wouldn't know the first thing about whether or not this show even begins to resemble real life. :roll:

Also, I watched a few random episodes out of order. Nothing made sense, nothing interesting or remotely exciting happened, and nothing grabbed out at me and made me curious to learn more about this show. I've been told that I need to watch from the beginning to understand what's going on and get wrapped up, but I should be able to step in on a random episode and find what's going on interesting enough to want to learn more (that's how it was with me for Lost & Mad Men, why not this too?).

I will admit though that I probably have not given this show a fair shake.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 26th, 2010 @ 1:26pm

kenzo wrote:I've avoided watching this show, mostly because I've been incessantly annoyed by a bunch of relatively privileged (mostly) white people who claim this is the best show ever because of how legit and real it is; people who have never stepped foot in a real ghetto, and wouldn't know the first thing about whether or not this show even begins to resemble real life. :roll:

Seriously? Thats why you wont watch it? That's pretty pretentious of you.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2010 @ 1:38pm

Plus I find it hard to believe Kenzo has more street cred than his white bread buddies.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 26th, 2010 @ 2:01pm

He's from the streets man, the streets.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Feb 26th, 2010 @ 2:32pm

LiQuid wrote:Plus I find it hard to believe Kenzo has more street cred than his white bread buddies.

I don't, but I don't pretend to have more cred either. It's less pretentious and more annoyance bundled with a lack interest.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Feb 26th, 2010 @ 2:40pm

Word up, G.
LiQuid

Postby DerBonk » Feb 26th, 2010 @ 4:32pm

I'm only in the second season so far, but I like it a lot. It'll never be my favorite TV show, that spot's reserved for Science Fiction shows, but it is definitely the best crime fiction I have ever seen (so far).

kenzo wrote:I've avoided watching this show, mostly because I've been incessantly annoyed by a bunch of relatively privileged (mostly) white people who claim this is the best show ever because of how legit and real it is; people who have never stepped foot in a real ghetto, and wouldn't know the first thing about whether or not this show even begins to resemble real life. :roll:

About the "being real" thing: I think the main point here is that the characters are fantastic. They all have depth, they all have their own story and their own voice and most of all the developments are believable. That's what makes it feel "real" to me. Furthermore, especially now on the second season, one of the criminals is the most likable guy ever. What The Wire shows isn't black and white, which makes it even more "real."
And, in the end, it is the exact opposite of the "all perfect, all shiny" bs of CSI (lately). They have to use typewriters and even the best cops are corrupt to a certain extent. That's what "real" about it for me, it's not about the ghetto or whatever.

Plus, this really is more like a 5 part book series with ca. 12 chapters each. You wouldn't start a book somewhere in the middle ;) Honestly, check it out. It is a bit dated by now, technology-wise the first season would not fit in today at all, but that doesn't diminish its quality, imho.
I like Sauerkraut and Wurst!
DerBonk

Postby kenzo » Feb 26th, 2010 @ 4:58pm

DerBonk wrote:About the "being real" thing: I think the main point here is that the characters are fantastic. They all have depth, they all have their own story and their own voice and most of all the developments are believable. That's what makes it feel "real" to me. Furthermore, especially now on the second season, one of the criminals is the most likable guy ever. What The Wire shows isn't black and white, which makes it even more "real."
And, in the end, it is the exact opposite of the "all perfect, all shiny" bs of CSI (lately). They have to use typewriters and even the best cops are corrupt to a certain extent. That's what "real" about it for me, it's not about the ghetto or whatever.

See, had things been described like this to me initially, I might have been able to give this show a fair shake. But what I got instead was, "Damn, this shit is legit, yo. So hardcore! It's REAL life on the streets, dawg!"
kenzo

Postby DerBonk » Feb 27th, 2010 @ 10:39am

kenzo wrote:See, had things been described like this to me initially, I might have been able to give this show a fair shake. But what I got instead was, "Damn, this shit is legit, yo. So hardcore! It's REAL life on the streets, dawg!"

Understandable. They even make fun of white boys being all "the streets, mofo!" in season two. While watching some white drug dealers (talking, dressing and behaving like fake-gangstas are supposed to ;) ) one of the detectives comments: "Thieving motherfuckers, they really steal everything."

Anyway, there are some scenes that aren't "real" at all, but still feel real. Just watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM (no spoilers, works on its own) and tell me you don't love it while looking me in the eye. It's just plain awesome.
DerBonk

Postby kenzo » Feb 27th, 2010 @ 2:49pm

DerBonk wrote:Anyway, there are some scenes that aren't "real" at all, but still feel real. Just watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM (no spoilers, works on its own) and tell me you don't love it while looking me in the eye. It's just plain awesome.

That's probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Definitely not real in the slightest since what really would have happened was some detective in a cubicle would have done some simple arithmetic and realized the original bullet trajectories didn't add up.
kenzo

Postby Dargonaut » Feb 28th, 2010 @ 2:33pm

kenzo wrote:That's probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Definitely not real in the slightest since what really would have happened was some detective in a cubicle would have done some simple arithmetic and realized the original bullet trajectories didn't add up.

Bullet trajectories are simple arithmetic? Seems to me a city detective without advanced education would probably just go to the scene and visualize the crime instead of crunching numbers. Both of us are unqualified to say.

I just finished the last season. I don't watch a lot of TV, so saying it's my favorite show is irrelevant. Add me to the list of people who espouse its reality, though.

The show does something unique because it isn't focused on encapsulating excitement and cliffhangers into the space of a single episode, and it makes no effort coddle viewers who haven't followed the plot. Therefore, no, you shouldn't expect any random episode to "grab" you. That's not the goal of the narrative.

It makes these decisions to portray a setting and characters with a measured, encompassing perspective that is rare, if not unique. Real life doesn't have cliffhangers or recaps; things happen for no reason or for reasons that those affected can't perceive. That's what The Wire captures. It captures the drama of people dealing with life in their respective institutions. Whether or not it is an accurate depiction of reality, I can't say, but I know it feels more like reality than any other fiction I've watched.
Dargonaut

Postby DerBonk » Feb 28th, 2010 @ 3:21pm

What Dargonaut said ;)

kenzo wrote:That's probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Definitely not real in the slightest since what really would have happened was some detective in a cubicle would have done some simple arithmetic and realized the original bullet trajectories didn't add up.

I would actually dispute that as well. Although (unfortunately) for that you'd need the backstory of the murder. Let's just say, sometimes, the police just doesn't really care enough. Anyway, I'd say the point is how those two detectives communicate with each other ;)
DerBonk

Postby kenzo » Feb 28th, 2010 @ 5:34pm

Dargonaut wrote:Bullet trajectories are simple arithmetic? Seems to me a city detective without advanced education would probably just go to the scene and visualize the crime instead of crunching numbers. Both of us are unqualified to say.

But see, those detectives well after the fact did some very basic visualizations of the crime-scene and pieced everything together in a matter of seconds. And yet the detectives who handled the initial investigation didn't put any of those pieces together?
DerBonk wrote:Anyway, I'd say the point is how those two detectives communicate with each other ;)
Yea, that was entertaining, but watching them say only that for two minutes, while hilarious and entertaining, is hard for me to take seriously.

I'm sure that the show is interesting and entertaining; maybe I'll give it a looksee in the future, but I'm still skeptical of how 'real' this show is.
kenzo

Postby Dargonaut » Feb 28th, 2010 @ 7:18pm

kenzo wrote:And yet the detectives who handled the initial investigation didn't put any of those pieces together?

That is kind of the point of the show.
Dargonaut

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 28th, 2010 @ 8:16pm

I'm up to the 3rd episode in the 3rd season. Season 2 was OK, not as good as the first season but still pretty good. Season 3 is much better so far.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby DerBonk » Mar 1st, 2010 @ 3:20am

kenzo wrote:Yea, that was entertaining, but watching them say only that for two minutes, while hilarious and entertaining, is hard for me to take seriously.

I'm sure that the show is interesting and entertaining; maybe I'll give it a looksee in the future, but I'm still skeptical of how 'real' this show is.

I wouldn't worry that much about how "real" it is. It's still a TV show and it is still very entertaining, if it wasn't that it could be 100% real, I think most of us wouldn't care. Anyway, I was skeptical too...I'd be interested to hear what you think after you've watched a couple of episodes though. My skepticism faded pretty quickly.

Mr_eX wrote:I'm up to the 3rd episode in the 3rd season. Season 2 was OK, not as good as the first season but still pretty good. Season 3 is much better so far.

I just started season 3 last night, so I'm about where you are. However, I loved Season 2! Frank was a fantastic character, if you ask me. In general the whole union thing worked really well for me, all the melancholy, the slow death that creeps up on the harbor and what it does to good people. Anyway, season 3 certainly starts out great as well, I get the feeling that more and more loose ends are being tied together.
DerBonk

Postby kiwi » Mar 1st, 2010 @ 9:36am

Amy Ryan was so great in Season 2, also. It's funny, I've seen up to about the first third of season 3 also, I should finish it up. I do like it a lot.
kiwi

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 1st, 2010 @ 12:14pm

DerBonk wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:I'm up to the 3rd episode in the 3rd season. Season 2 was OK, not as good as the first season but still pretty good. Season 3 is much better so far.

I just started season 3 last night, so I'm about where you are. However, I loved Season 2! Frank was a fantastic character, if you ask me. In general the whole union thing worked really well for me, all the melancholy, the slow death that creeps up on the harbor and what it does to good people. Anyway, season 3 certainly starts out great as well, I get the feeling that more and more loose ends are being tied together.

The first half of season 2 was slow but the last half was fantastic. I really felt bad for what happened so some of the characters by the end of it.

I think I see where the series is heading but I'm wondering if what I think is going to happen happens this season or if they'll keep building it up to the final season.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby DerBonk » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 12:59am

I just finished season 3. Was really good. What I love the most about finishing a season is the closure. You could just stop watching the show and it wold work fine as an ending. I'm really glad however, that there are still two more seasons to go ;)

On a side note, a minor spoiler. You might not have caught this even, because it's in the background, kinda. It's in an episode in the later half of the season, around 8 or 9 or so and it blew my fracking mind.
Spoiler: show
Rawls in the gay bar! OMFG! That was so unexpected, I had to rewind and look again to be certain! Will that be a story line later on? I don't know, but that's just so unexpected of him. Wow.
DerBonk

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 7:30am

DerBonk wrote:I just finished season 3. Was really good. What I love the most about finishing a season is the closure. You could just stop watching the show and it wold work fine as an ending. I'm really glad however, that there are still two more seasons to go ;)

On a side note, a minor spoiler. You might not have caught this even, because it's in the background, kinda. It's in an episode in the later half of the season, around 8 or 9 or so and it blew my fracking mind.
Spoiler: show
Rawls in the gay bar! OMFG! That was so unexpected, I had to rewind and look again to be certain! Will that be a story line later on? I don't know, but that's just so unexpected of him. Wow.

I noticed the spoiler last night, I laughed pretty hard.

I have one episode left of season 3, the last one I saw was awesome.

Did you download the series or did you buy it? I bought the complete series box set and its brand new but the packaging was so poorly designed that it scratched most of the discs and the only thing that will play them is my 360's HD-DVD drive
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 3rd, 2010 @ 7:37am

Mr_eX wrote:my 360's HD-DVD drive

lawl
LiQuid

Next
Forum Statistics