Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby kenzo » Feb 26th, 2011 @ 4:02pm

What I did with Season 5 was showed newbies the first two episodes, explained a few things on the way ("That's The Doctor, that police box is his TARDIS, he's a time traveler. He's acting funny because he's regenerating - his body does that when he's close to death. Etc.). I also spliced older episodes into the season to explain certain things. So, I showed the newbies Blink and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead before showing them The Time of Angels. And maybe Dalek (from S1) before "Victory of the Dalek".
kenzo

Postby kiwi » Mar 2nd, 2011 @ 11:05am

I'm slowly (read: getting 2-episode-at-a-time-discs from netflix) making my way through s.5 now. So I've seen up to episode 4. It definitely feels like the most accessible season. The picture is nicer, the set design is less wacky, the companion is a fox, and it still has great writing. I'm glad that I decided to start from the Eccelston season, though.
kiwi

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 2nd, 2011 @ 11:48am

kiwi wrote:I'm slowly (read: getting 2-episode-at-a-time-discs from netflix) making my way through s.5 now. So I've seen up to episode 4. It definitely feels like the most accessible season. The picture is nicer, the set design is less wacky, the companion is a fox, and it still has great writing. I'm glad that I decided to start from the Eccelston season, though.

You know Doctor Who is on netflix streaming right(all but season 5)?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 2nd, 2011 @ 2:56pm

Isn't the Doctor Who on streaming have wonky aspect ratios?
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 2nd, 2011 @ 3:09pm

I think the first two seasons are full screen instead of widescreen and I used to think the image quality was horrible on netflix but the DVDs are just as bad.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 2nd, 2011 @ 8:24pm

I wonder how long it will be before they bring The Master back.

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 2nd, 2011 @ 8:47pm

Well, they've solved the reason why The Master is crazy and stopped it. I don't see the purpose of bringing back a competitor timelord would accomplish. I'd rather them bring back The Doctor's daughter/clone.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 2nd, 2011 @ 9:42pm

The Master has been around since the 1971 and they never showed him die. You really think they wont bring him back?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 2nd, 2011 @ 10:32pm

Mr_eX wrote:The Master has been around since the 1971 and they never showed him die. You really think they wont bring him back?
Never said that. I just don't want them to.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:47am

I think they should, you can't kill off a character that's been around for 40 years off screen. The character deserves a proper end.

I still think River Song could be Jenny.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kiwi » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 7:59am

Mr_eX wrote:
kiwi wrote:I'm slowly (read: getting 2-episode-at-a-time-discs from netflix) making my way through s.5 now. So I've seen up to episode 4. It definitely feels like the most accessible season. The picture is nicer, the set design is less wacky, the companion is a fox, and it still has great writing. I'm glad that I decided to start from the Eccelston season, though.

You know Doctor Who is on netflix streaming right(all but season 5)?

Yes. That is how I watched seasons 1-4. I'm just watching 5 the old fashioned way.
kiwi

Postby kenzo » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 3:16pm

Mr_eX wrote:I still think River Song could be Jenny.
The Doctor scanned her body back when they first met. You'd think Timelord physiology would have jumped off the page at him.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 3:32pm

kenzo wrote:
The Doctor scanned her body back when they first met. You'd think Timelord physiology would have jumped off the page at him.

He said his memory/mind would be enough to let out all the people in the computer but River Song took his place and died. How would a human be able to do that?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 4:50pm

Mr_eX wrote:He said his memory/mind would be enough to let out all the people in the computer but River Song took his place and died. How would a human be able to do that?
It wasn't a given that the Doctor would die, but it was a risk River wasn't willing to take. River however had her brain fried. That's not really conclusive to me. Also, if River was a timelord, wouldn't she just regenerate right then and there?

Don't get me wrong, it would be a neat idea, but it would also be creepy and incestuous and I just don't believe it.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 3rd, 2011 @ 5:48pm

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:He said his memory/mind would be enough to let out all the people in the computer but River Song took his place and died. How would a human be able to do that?
It wasn't a given that the Doctor would die, but it was a risk River wasn't willing to take. River however had her brain fried. That's not really conclusive to me. Also, if River was a timelord, wouldn't she just regenerate right then and there?

Don't get me wrong, it would be a neat idea, but it would also be creepy and incestuous and I just don't believe it.

They said that it would kill The Doctor and he wouldn't be able to regenerate from it, thats why River did it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 6:12am

Nope. She is in some way linked to the Silence, and is something completely new. So sayeth Moffat, at the opening of the Doctor Who Experience in London.
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 7:15am

Matt Smith isn't as good at acting angry as David Tennant.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Govir » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 8:13am

Mr_eX wrote:Matt Smith isn't as good at acting angry as David Tennant.

I thought he did a good job raging at the Ironside.
Govir

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 11:11am

I have to disagree. Vehemently. When he gets angry, it's just as affective, if not more so than when Tennant does it. And I think the reason is that unlike Tennant's Doctor, Matt Smith doesn't flip out all the time for any reason. When he gets really emotional, it's for a purpose and reserved for special occasions. He also seems less inclined to loose his cool at the drop of a hat like Tennant if he can see that there's still some hope that shit can get better, which I appreciate. Tennant would waste our time and his going on some tirade, when he could have been using that time to figure out a plan/way out.

I can remember all the times Matt Smith lost his shit in anger: When he resigned himself to murdering the star whale, when trying to provoke a reaction from the daleks, when being provoked by the weeping angels, and when the humans showed up with the dead lizard in "Cold Blood." That's it. And all those scenes were done pretty damned well. Matt Smith's character instead has a much more methodical approach to his emotions. He's much more apt to simmer with hatred on the inside and glare at an opponent rather than start foaming at the mouth like Tennant (like at the end of A Christmas Carol when he has old Sardin meet the young one). And I like that - it shows that The Doctor is a cool cat.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 12:36pm

kenzo wrote:
I have to disagree. Vehemently. When he gets angry, it's just as affective, if not more so than when Tennant does it. And I think the reason is that unlike Tennant's Doctor, Matt Smith doesn't flip out all the time for any reason. When he gets really emotional, it's for a purpose and reserved for special occasions. He also seems less inclined to loose his cool at the drop of a hat like Tennant if he can see that there's still some hope that shit can get better, which I appreciate. Tennant would waste our time and his going on some tirade, when he could have been using that time to figure out a plan/way out.

I can remember all the times Matt Smith lost his shit in anger: When he resigned himself to murdering the star whale, when trying to provoke a reaction from the daleks, when being provoked by the weeping angels, and when the humans showed up with the dead lizard in "Cold Blood." That's it. And all those scenes were done pretty damned well. Matt Smith's character instead has a much more methodical approach to his emotions. He's much more apt to simmer with hatred on the inside and glare at an opponent rather than start foaming at the mouth like Tennant (like at the end of A Christmas Carol when he has old Sardin meet the young one). And I like that - it shows that The Doctor is a cool cat.

When he flipped out when he was going to kill the star whale he yelled "NO HUMANS CAN SAY ANYTHING TO ME" and it fell flat. Tennant would have delivered that line better. Watching them back to back the way I am I've noticed that Tennant is a far better actor but I like Matt Smith's doctor more.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 3:56pm

See, I watched them back to back, and I disagree. In fact, there are so many times where I just don't believe Tennant and what he does because he's always at some kind of emotional extreme. When Matt Smith has his emotional extremes, they're far more believable to me. Like when he opens the door to his new Tardis for the first time, or when he's panicing and being dragged into the Pandorica, or when he has to bare the brunt of losing Rory by himself and there's this forelorned look on his face. I think he has way more of a dynamic acting range and that it's used far more effectively by Moffat and crew.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 5:53pm

If Matt Smith was given the same material to work with that Tennant was do you think you'd like him as much as you do?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 6:07pm

Probably not. But I think the same could be said in reverse. Matt Smith's Doctor and how he's written requires much more subtlety - something that I just don't think Tennant is capable of doing.

As much as I like Moffat and hate RTD, I think RTD and his writers were good enough to know how to write scripts and play to their actors strengths. Eccleston's Doctor was much more nuanced and subdued versus Tennant's as well.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 6:09pm

I'm thinking about downloading this
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 4th, 2011 @ 6:45pm

Too bad I hate Hamlet.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Mar 5th, 2011 @ 11:43am

I can't wait until we make a "Series" 6 thread.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Mar 5th, 2011 @ 1:42pm

If that's the one where he played opposite Patrick Stewart, it was brilliant.
flufflogic

Postby kenzo » Mar 6th, 2011 @ 3:19am

flufflogic wrote:If that's the one where he played opposite Patrick Stewart, it was brilliant.
:shock: I may have to reconsider my stance on whatever it was that I trash-talked earlier.

Also, I've made this my default ringtone:

Every time I go to pick up my phone now, it's like I'm beginning an adventure.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Mar 6th, 2011 @ 4:38am

kenzo wrote:
flufflogic wrote:If that's the one where he played opposite Patrick Stewart, it was brilliant.
:shock: I may have to reconsider my stance on whatever it was that I trash-talked earlier.

The BBC got together with the RSC to film a version of Hamlet to be shown at Christmas, with Tennant as the titular, and Sir Patrick Stewart as Claudius. More details here. For the less scrupulous, torrents exist...
flufflogic

Postby GiantAsianMan » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 1:15pm

Mark your calenders: Doctor Who returns (on BBC America, at least) on April 23 at 9 pm ET.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics