Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Doctor Who Series 5

Postby lakeshow » Mar 22nd, 2010 @ 12:16am

So excited for new series of Doctor Who with the best writer Steven Moffat taking the reigns of the show. Show starts April 3rd in the UK and they released a new trailer.
lakeshow
User avatar
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mar 2nd, 2010 @ 1:00pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Mar 22nd, 2010 @ 2:39am

I don't like how young he is. They made him and his new companion teenagers, I'm assuming, to appeal to a broader audience, I liked the mature feel it had and I don't really see it having that anymore, so I'm a little apprehensive towards it.
BEARinaMANSUIT
User avatar
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mar 14th, 2010 @ 12:06am
Location: Lakeside, California

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 22nd, 2010 @ 9:26am

I hope they put the episodes on netflix streaming right after they air like they do with most NBC shows and legend of the seeker.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby kiwi » Mar 22nd, 2010 @ 11:22pm

I've never watched any of Dr. Who before, be it from the original 20+ seasons or the recent ones. I saw the other day that the recent stuff is all on watch it now, so I've added it to the queue but still haven't watched any. I added Torchwood as well, since that was available for instant streaming.

How accessible would you say they are? I like a lot of sci-fi, and I don't mind british television. What could you compare it to in style and/or tone?
kiwi
User avatar
 
Posts: 428
Joined: May 13th, 2009 @ 10:33pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Lopsidedown » Mar 23rd, 2010 @ 12:17am

Well, Steve Moffat wrote Coupling (which is genius on it's own) and his work on Doctor Who has been nothing short of brilliant, so I have faith in him to successfully establish this new Doctor.

As for standalone episodes to get you into the show, "Blink" was my first David Tennant episode, and I was not disappointed. No prerequisite viewing required for that one.
"Midnight" is another standalone, and a personal favorite.

Personally though, I haven't seen much of the New Who. I used to watch Dr Who reruns (with Jon Pertwee's Doctor) on PBS when I was much much younger. It scared the ever-living crap out of my kid self. Something about old quality special effects and costumes is really creepy to me.

It's kind of tough to compare the show to anything else. The format sort of allows each episode to really be anything it wants. In one episode they might be in the past, protecting The Queen from werewolves, and in the next they may be in the future trying to stop a space ship from flying into the sun.
Lopsidedown
User avatar
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 10:14am
Location: Vermont

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby flufflogic » Mar 28th, 2010 @ 9:39am

kiwi wrote:I've never watched any of Dr. Who before, be it from the original 20+ seasons or the recent ones. I saw the other day that the recent stuff is all on watch it now, so I've added it to the queue but still haven't watched any. I added Torchwood as well, since that was available for instant streaming.

How accessible would you say they are? I like a lot of sci-fi, and I don't mind british television. What could you compare it to in style and/or tone?


Avoid Torchwood - it's a cheesy show, and utterly missable. The main show's perfectly accessible from 9th Doctor as a whole new thing, as everything's explained pretty much.
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 4th, 2010 @ 6:37pm

The new doctor is pretty awesome.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Klendathu » Apr 5th, 2010 @ 3:36am

This was one crazy episode. It's hard to imagine anyone not liking it. Also if somebody never watched the show, this is the perfect episode to jump on the train, because it is a big red reset button. If you doubt me watching the first two minutes wondering what the hell is going on, then that is exactly where you should be and will be for the rest of the ride.

This show has action, adventure, excitement, and a relentless drive forward. It is about as far away from the "space-whiners" of SG:U as humanly possible and a far better show for it. Think of the mouth of Ash-Housewares combined with the uber-pawnage of the A-Team/MacGuyver/Batman and silliness of Peter Pan all rolled into one character. There you go, Matt Smith's Doctor.

Remember to clear your browser history. :lol:
Klendathu
User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 11:25am

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 5th, 2010 @ 6:24am

I don't know if I like him more than Tennant, but I like him more than I liked Tennant in Tennant's first episode.

Some gifs I'm stealing from gaf
Image
Image
Image


Klendathu wrote:It is about as far away from the "space-whiners" of SG:U as humanly possible and a far better show for it.


I think you can say the same thing about Stargate SG-1.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby uppi17 » Apr 5th, 2010 @ 2:17pm

flufflogic wrote:Avoid Torchwood - it's a cheesy show, and utterly missable. The main show's perfectly accessible from 9th Doctor as a whole new thing, as everything's explained pretty much.


Except!! The last series (series three - which was a five part mini series) was probably the most serious and affecting sci-fi series in a very long time.
uppi17
User avatar
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mar 30th, 2009 @ 11:14am
Location: Old York

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Natto » Apr 5th, 2010 @ 11:56pm

I'm in love with Karen Gillan.
I like to draw stuff.
Natto
User avatar
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2009 @ 3:36pm
Location: 415

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 6th, 2010 @ 6:22am

Trailer for the next episode
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Natto » Apr 6th, 2010 @ 10:26am

I prefer the previous iteration of the theme song, but I really dig the new logo.
I like to draw stuff.
Natto
User avatar
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2009 @ 3:36pm
Location: 415

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 6th, 2010 @ 10:50am

I liked the run down of what's to come at the end of the episode. The Rocketeer looking guy was cool. I'm not liking the new Doctor, he doesn't seem comfortable, and seems like he is trying to be wacky at points, maybe he needs to come into his own. I like the new companion okay though. The one thing I don't get is in the episode the nurse guy was saying he was her boyfriend, and she was saying he wasn't really her boyfriend, but at the end she was supposed to be getting married? Anyway, meh.
BEARinaMANSUIT
User avatar
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mar 14th, 2010 @ 12:06am
Location: Lakeside, California

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 6th, 2010 @ 11:18am

BEARinaMANSUIT wrote:I liked the run down of what's to come at the end of the episode. The Rocketeer looking guy was cool. I'm not liking the new Doctor, he doesn't seem comfortable, and seems like he is trying to be wacky at points, maybe he needs to come into his own. I like the new companion okay though. The one thing I don't get is in the episode the nurse guy was saying he was her boyfriend, and she was saying he wasn't really her boyfriend, but at the end she was supposed to be getting married? Anyway, meh.


The end of the episode was 2 years after they saved the planet...
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Apr 6th, 2010 @ 11:35am

It was forgettable.
BEARinaMANSUIT
User avatar
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Mar 14th, 2010 @ 12:06am
Location: Lakeside, California

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby LiQuid » Apr 8th, 2010 @ 11:31am

Never watched this show before, but I was bored and that redheaded chick was foxy so I checked it out. Cool show! Way more exciting and fun than all the bullshit space soaps that get serialized over here! I might go back and watch some of the older stuff now. Where's a good place to jump in?
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby LiQuid » Apr 8th, 2010 @ 11:45am

Ok, I just did a little research. Seems like they relaunched in 2005 with Dr. 9, but he only ran a season before Tennant took over, who is the guy I constantly hear about as being the fan favorite. Is it worth it to watch that first season with Dr. 9, or should I skip right to the Tennant stuff?
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 8th, 2010 @ 12:07pm

I say start with the 2005 season, there are some really good episodes and important characters are introduced. Plus the seasons are only 13 episodes so theres no real point in skipping any. They're all on netflix, but the first episode of season 4 isn't available for streaming so you'll have to download that, then there are 4 "specials" after season 4 that you need to watch.

I believe this is the order for the specials but I'm not sure.
Doctor Who: The Next Doctor
Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars
Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead
Doctor Who: The End of Time: Parts 1 & 2 which goes right into the episode you watched.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby LiQuid » Apr 8th, 2010 @ 12:14pm

K thanks.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Natto » Apr 8th, 2010 @ 3:34pm

Mr_eX wrote:I say start with the 2005 season, there are some really good episodes and important characters are introduced. Plus the seasons are only 13 episodes so theres no real point in skipping any. They're all on netflix, but the first episode of season 4 isn't available for streaming so you'll have to download that, then there are 4 "specials" after season 4 that you need to watch.

I believe this is the order for the specials but I'm not sure.
Doctor Who: The Next Doctor
Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars
Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead
Doctor Who: The End of Time: Parts 1 & 2 which goes right into the episode you watched.


Switch Planet of the Dead and Waters of Mars (Just watched PotD last night). Otherwise you've got it.
I like to draw stuff.
Natto
User avatar
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2009 @ 3:36pm
Location: 415

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby LiQuid » Apr 9th, 2010 @ 5:15am

Waited too long to watch this. It's really awesome. Just started the first season, and while the doctor isn't as charismatic and the side kick isn't as boner inducingly hot as the new girl, it's still really great.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 9th, 2010 @ 6:18am

Christopher Eccleston isn't a bad doctor, he's just not as good as Tennant or the new guy(based on the one episode). As for Rose, you'll either really like her or hope she dies in every episode, I liked her.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby LiQuid » Apr 9th, 2010 @ 10:43am

Seem like people in Dr. Who, i.e. civilians and the companions, have an uncanny knack for seeing things that would cause any rational person to shit themselves and then die, and just kinda being like, whatever and then going back to their paper/tea/errands. Does the public at large have any idea the kinda shit that's going down? I mean during the first episode of season one mannequins start murdering people and then when it's over there's no mention of anybody being effected by it. Is this just a case of the show not taking itself too seriously? I'm not complaining about this, just curious.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 9th, 2010 @ 12:01pm

LiQuid wrote:Seem like people in Dr. Who, i.e. civilians and the companions, have an uncanny knack for seeing things that would cause any rational person to shit themselves and then die, and just kinda being like, whatever and then going back to their paper/tea/errands. Does the public at large have any idea the kinda shit that's going down? I mean during the first episode of season one mannequins start murdering people and then when it's over there's no mention of anybody being effected by it. Is this just a case of the show not taking itself too seriously? I'm not complaining about this, just curious.


When I started watching the show I was wondering the same thing. Only thing I can think of is that a bunch of crazy stuff happened in public in the previous 30 seasons of the show so now everyone is jaded.

If you thought the mannequins would cause mass hysteria, just wait till the really crazy stuff starts happening.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby flufflogic » Apr 10th, 2010 @ 12:52pm

It's because of the rule of Doctor Who: chances are, they can't see it. A lot of these aliens cloak themselves, or kill the witnesses. Plus, abject terror affects people differently...
flufflogic
User avatar
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Jan 29th, 2010 @ 6:26am
Location: The Northern Wastes of England

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby LiQuid » Apr 10th, 2010 @ 1:53pm

I don't buy that. In World War 3, a bunch of people (including the future prime minister) see the undisguised aliens, and apparently the space ship they used in their plot was still parked somewhere in London after they were all killed. Sure there was a newspaper article at the end that suggested people were considering it a hoax, but I still don't buy it. I contend that everybody does see the shit that goes on, but the show is too busy being fun to care about things like plausibility. I'm ok with that.

In the last episode I watched, a temporary male companion (Adam) got booted out of the adventure for being a dipshit, and at the end of the episode his mother sees the brain implant he got. They don't explain how that conversation went or the repercussions of Adam living the rest of his life with far-future technology all up in his dome, and really it just doesn't matter. I appreciated the sight gag that closed out the episode and that's good enough for me.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Mr_eX » Apr 10th, 2010 @ 2:37pm

LiQuid wrote:I don't buy that. In World War 3, a bunch of people (including the future prime minister) see the undisguised aliens, and apparently the space ship they used in their plot was still parked somewhere in London after they were all killed. Sure there was a newspaper article at the end that suggested people were considering it a hoax, but I still don't buy it. I contend that everybody does see the shit that goes on, but the show is too busy being fun to care about things like plausibility. I'm ok with that.

In the last episode I watched, a temporary male companion (Adam) got booted out of the adventure for being a dipshit, and at the end of the episode his mother sees the brain implant he got. They don't explain how that conversation went or the repercussions of Adam living the rest of his life with far-future technology all up in his dome, and really it just doesn't matter. I appreciated the sight gag that closed out the episode and that's good enough for me.


You still haven't seen any of the crazy stuff yet.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby LiQuid » Apr 10th, 2010 @ 3:26pm

Just watched "The Empty Child." God this show just keeps getting better and better! That was easily the best episode so far. I'm so excited I've got so much more to watch! If this is the calibre of shit we're gonna see with Moffat penning the new Doctor, sign me the fuck up!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby LiQuid » Apr 10th, 2010 @ 4:25pm

Oh man, part two was fucking amazing! Everyone lives, old lady gets her leg back, and the fate of Capt. Jack Harkness! I just read he's a major player in Torchwood!? Is that really not that great a show, cause I'm seriously thinking about checking it out now, armed with that info!
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Next
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Options

Return to TV and Movies

cron