Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

Postby Govir » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 1:52pm

EDIT: Disregard my post. I thought you said in the UK, but clearly you said BBC America.

This is good to know.
Govir

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 3:08pm

So maybe a week or two earlier accross the pond?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 3:09pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:Mark your calenders: Doctor Who returns (on BBC America, at least) on April 23 at 9 pm ET.

:shock:
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 3:15pm

Kenzo this will be the first time you've watched it as it airs right? You started watching after the last season was done?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 4:13pm

I watched the last X-Mas episode on X-Mas Eve.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:42pm

That's not the same because Christmas specials don't have cliffhangers.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Coctopus » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:45pm

Mr_eX wrote:So maybe a week or two earlier accross the pond?

I believe, for the first time ever, BBC and BBC America are starting on the same day. Hurray for not having to torrent the episodes.
Coctopus

Postby kenzo » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 7:54pm

Mr_eX wrote:That's not the same because Christmas specials don't have cliffhangers.

I dunno, how is The Doctor going to handle that call from Marilyn Monroe?
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 9th, 2011 @ 9:08pm

Coctopus wrote:I believe, for the first time ever, BBC and BBC America are starting on the same day. Hurray for not having to torrent the episodes.

And hurray for doing it anyways.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 1:08am

LiQuid wrote:
Coctopus wrote:I believe, for the first time ever, BBC and BBC America are starting on the same day. Hurray for not having to torrent the episodes.

And hurray for doing it anyways.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 7:07am

Coctopus wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:So maybe a week or two earlier accross the pond?

I believe, for the first time ever, BBC and BBC America are starting on the same day. Hurray for not having to torrent the episodes.

I don't get BBC America HD.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 8:13pm

Just finished season 5. I forgot that its better than every other season combined. Going to watch Star Trek TNG now.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 1:47am

Mr_eX wrote:Just finished season 5. I forgot that its better than every other season combined. Going to watch Star Trek TNG now.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 7:05am

Do you think young River Song becomes the companion at some point or does The Doctor just keep randomly running into her?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby IMLabman » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 8:06am

Mr_eX wrote:Just finished season 5. I forgot that its better than every other season combined. Going to watch Star Trek TNG now.

Good to know...I'm half way through Season 4.
IMLabman

Postby LiQuid » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 1:16pm

IMLabman wrote:

It's really not, don't listen to those guys.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 1:32pm

LiQuid wrote:
IMLabman wrote:

It has better writing, directing, production values, lighting, and it's HD. The only thing it doesn't have is David Tennant but Matt Smith's Doctor is better anyway.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby IMLabman » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 3:51pm

Mr_eX wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
IMLabman wrote:

It has better writing, directing, production values, lighting, and it's HD. The only thing it doesn't have is David Tennant but Matt Smith's Doctor is better anyway.

That's the one thing that worries me. The transition from Eccleston to Tennant took me quite a few episodes to get used too. Now that Tennant has been THE Doctor for so many seasons now, getting over the fact that there's a new Doctor will be harder than ever. Ah, whatevs, I can sit down and watch two or three episodes at a time anyway...that's the beauty of watching Seasons after the fact. It's going to be odd when I finally do catch up though.
IMLabman

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 4:02pm

Mr_eX wrote:Do you think young River Song becomes the companion at some point or does The Doctor just keep randomly running into her?
No. At least, I hope not. We've technically seen her at her oldest. Continuing to see the aging actress year after year would be weird.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 4:15pm

Mr_eX wrote:It has better writing, directing, production values, lighting, and it's HD. The only thing it doesn't have is David Tennant but Matt Smith's Doctor is better anyway.

There isn't a single great episode in season 5. I could come up with a list of a dozen episodes from the first four seasons better than the best episode of season 5, which I think might be the first one. 5th season was really, really weak. And Matt Smith was an incredibly awkward Doctor for the first 3/4 of it. Production value and HD filming don't change that. Moffat wrote the best overarching story of the five seasons, but on an episode to episode basis, season five had no peaks.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 4:30pm

kenzo wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:Do you think young River Song becomes the companion at some point or does The Doctor just keep randomly running into her?
No. At least, I hope not. We've technically seen her at her oldest. Continuing to see the aging actress year after year would be weird.

When I said young River Song I meant they'd have a young actress to play her.
LiQuid wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:It has better writing, directing, production values, lighting, and it's HD. The only thing it doesn't have is David Tennant but Matt Smith's Doctor is better anyway.

There isn't a single great episode in season 5. I could come up with a list of a dozen episodes from the first four seasons better than the best episode of season 5, which I think might be the first one. 5th season was really, really weak. And Matt Smith was an incredibly awkward Doctor for the first 3/4 of it. Production value and HD filming don't change that. Moffat wrote the best overarching story of the five seasons, but on an episode to episode basis, season five had no peaks.

I think you need to rewatch it. Sure some episodes from the earlier seasons are better than anything in 5 but I'd say the average quality of season 5 is better than the past seasons. The worst episode was the vampire episode and even that was miles better than the farting aliens and killer plastic.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 4:34pm

I didn't say there weren't bad earlier episodes. I also acknowledged the the overarching plot of season 5. I'm just saying that nothing from season 5 was better than what we've seen before. Also I'm not rewatching something I've seen within a year. Is your memory really that bad?
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 4:53pm

Mr_eX wrote:
LiQuid wrote:
I think you need to rewatch it. Sure some episodes from the earlier seasons are better than anything in 5 but I'd say the average quality of season 5 is better than the past seasons. The worst episode was the vampire episode and even that was miles better than the farting aliens and killer plastic.
"A Christmas Carol" is better than anything from Season 1-4.

I like Season 5 over all the previous ones, and a lot of that has to do with the tone. Season 5 is just more fun. The Doctor isn't too busy dealing with awkward sexual tension with his companion, or being emo over a previous companion. I feel like after a certain point, the entire purpose of the RTD-led show was to make the viewer cry. Moffat's show and Moffat's Doctor don't care about that. From the very beginning of the first episode, the tone is set for the rest of the season:

Season 5 is all about having fun and going on an adventure. It's going to be a little dangerous and scary, but it's also going to be weird, and exhilarating, and fun. And I really like that.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 5:17pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 5:46pm

ADVENTURE!!!

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:34pm

Was that the episode with the space whale? God that episode was stupid.
LiQuid

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:38pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:45pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 7:00pm

LiQuid wrote:Was that the episode with the space whale? God that episode was stupid.

I'm sorry that it's no Bad Wolf. :lol:
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 7:18pm

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics