Page 26 of 26

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 21st, 2011 @ 11:52am
by IMLabman
kenzo wrote:IMLabman - did you watch the 2010 X-Mas special?


Sure did, as well as the shorts that GiantAsianMan posted, which were fantastic. I've now gone back to working my way through Coupling: Season 2, which is friggen hilarious. I can't get enough of Steven Moffat!

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 21st, 2011 @ 12:07pm
by kenzo
I liked Coupling, but by the final season the premise was wearing thin and the same insane/inane/immature banter about sex stated to wear thin. But Moffat does have a knack for great and witty dialog. I don't think Coupling's issues will be present with Doctor Who.

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 21st, 2011 @ 12:47pm
by Mr_eX
I have an idea for the Season 6 thread OP but I might get lazy and not do it. #its-almost-time

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 21st, 2011 @ 12:52pm
by IMLabman
kenzo wrote:I liked Coupling, but by the final season the premise was wearing thin and the same insane/inane/immature banter about sex stated to wear thin. But Moffat does have a knack for great and witty dialog. I don't think Coupling's issues will be present with Doctor Who.


If River Song keeps making guest appearances, you never know. :lol:

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 25th, 2011 @ 4:15am
by kenzo
I've been showing my parents Doctor Who slowly when I go back and visit them. They love it. But while rewatching a lot of this stuff, I think I've come to be able to articulate how I can't like it as much as Star Trek. The show (at least during RTD's reign) switches between goofy and super cereal so fast and frequently that it's just way too bipolar. I think I need my shows to have more consistent tones to them - at least on a single episode basis. Also, you really have to suspend your disbelief to epic levels to take the show's more serious moments seriously, given that The Doctor is basically a god and can do anything. There's not a lot of hard continuity or consistency given between episodes. It's so easy to pick apart the show.

It's a lot easier to take Star Trek serious because (at least from the movies and TNG on) it becomes much more consistent with itself and its themes/messages. And the universe that's built up in Star Trek is just so much more inherently interesting than Doctor Who's because it's persistent, better defined, and less likely to have some radical change happen to canon at the drop of a whim. Doctor Who is a better show to go have a fun adventure on. Star Trek is better Sci-Fi and a better space opera.

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 25th, 2011 @ 7:25am
by Mr_eX
kenzo wrote:The show (at least during RTD's reign) switches between goofy and super cereal so fast and frequently that it's just way too bipolar.


That's why I like it more than Star Trek. You can think you're getting a funny episode but then out of nowhere things get dark. It makes it less predictable.

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 25th, 2011 @ 2:29pm
by kenzo
Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:The show (at least during RTD's reign) switches between goofy and super cereal so fast and frequently that it's just way too bipolar.
That's why I like it more than Star Trek. You can think you're getting a funny episode but then out of nowhere things get dark. It makes it less predictable.
That's not actually being unpredictable - that's just being cheap and lazy. If they're constantly bipolar, then you begin expecting things to go sour at the drop of the hat all the time. It just comes across as bad to me, like it's trying to have its cake and eat it too. Pick a mood, and stick with it. There's nothing worse than ending things on a sour note (goodbye Rose, goodbye Tennant) and then immediately trying to cheer up the audience - with something happy and exciting - it's manipulative.

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 25th, 2011 @ 6:19pm
by Mr_eX

Re: Doctor Who Series 5

PostPosted: Mar 25th, 2011 @ 6:31pm
by kenzo
Mr_eX wrote:

That looks awful.

Also, how hard is it to do a Richard Nixon impersonation?

Also also, that should be part of a Series 6 thread at this point.

Ed Meds Overnight Delivery JustKa

PostPosted: Dec 25th, 2017 @ 1:49am
by Justtect
Cialis Quick Deliverycanada cheap cialis Keflex 500 Mg Tabs Cialis Generika Auf Rezept Priligy Dapoxetina Generico 60 Mg <a href=http://costofcial.com>cialis</a> Levitra Cuanto Tomar Viagra Pillole http://costofcial.com - cialis Viagra For Sale Canada Pharmacy