Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: What's the WORST movie you've ever watched?

Postby kenzo » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 6:39am

Mr_eX wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Seriously. What an awesomely awful film.

Are you sure thats not a parody of bad acting?

100% sure. That film was so awful that if someone was trying to be that bad on purpose, they probably deserve an Oscar. You need to scroll up and read the Wikipedia entry on this film - it's so ridiculous.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 6:54am

I managed to find a cheap copy, and plan to try watch it.
flufflogic

Postby LiQuid » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 7:39am

kenzo wrote:
dabeast0976 wrote:It was called "The Citizen Kane of bad movies". Now that shit is funny. :lol:
I'm willing to bet real money that if LiQuid were to watch this film, he would shit his pants laughing.

I don't think you have a real firm grasp on the type of bad movies I enjoy. Sorry.
LiQuid

Postby flufflogic » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 10:14am

So, tonight I'm gonna watch Clash of the Titans, and on Thursday I'm going to watch The Room.

Might have to reward myself with Inglourious Basterds on Friday as brain bleach.
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 1:24pm

I love me some Jet Li, but this nearly killed my fandom...

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rIl0HM6XQo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rIl0HM6XQo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

"I AM YULAW!!! I'M NOBODY'S BITCH!!!"
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 1:41pm

jinpei05 wrote:I love me some Jet Li, but this nearly killed my fandom...

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rIl0HM6XQo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rIl0HM6XQo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

"I AM YULAW!!! I'M NOBODY'S BITCH!!!"

Woah, are you kidding me? This was awesome! I think you're forgetting how hokey the good ole HK action flicks used to be.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 1:50pm

kenzo wrote:Woah, are you kidding me? This was awesome! I think you're forgetting how hokey the good ole HK action flicks used to be.

First off, no, it's wasn't.
Second, no it wasn't.
Third, this movie wasn't HK production, it was Columbia Pictures.
Fourth, no it wasn't.
Fifth, good ol' Hong Kong flicks, as you call them, include Once Upon a Time in China and Fong Sai Yuk, and they were from the 80's. I know what good martial arts films are, and this ain't one of 'em.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Bobloblaw » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 1:57pm

jinpei05 wrote:First off, no, it's wasn't.
Second, no it wasn't.
Fourth, no it wasn't.
Fifth, good ol' Hong Kong flicks, as you call them, include Once Upon a Time in China and Fong Sai Yuk, and they were from the 80's. I know what good martial arts films are, and this ain't one of 'em.

Dumb movie. Great scene.
Bobloblaw

Postby flufflogic » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 2:10pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:Woah, are you kidding me? This was awesome! I think you're forgetting how hokey the good ole HK action flicks used to be.

Second, no it wasn't.
Fourth, no it wasn't.

Sorry, I'm with Kenzo on this; loved The One.
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 2:21pm

flufflogic wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

Second, no it wasn't.
Fourth, no it wasn't.

That's fine, just don't lump his US crap in with his awesome films, like Once Upon a Time in China, Fong Sai Yuk, Fist of Legend, and Fearless.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 2:37pm

jinpei05 wrote:
flufflogic wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

Second, no it wasn't.
Fourth, no it wasn't.

That's fine, just don't lump his US crap in with his awesome films, like Once Upon a Time in China, Fong Sai Yuk, Fist of Legend, and Fearless.
Is it as good as an 80's HK Kung Fu Flick? Of course not. It's America trying to do the same thing, Hollywood-style. But they're still reaching for that tradition. Some of those old films are melodramatic, but a lot of them are hokey and ridiculous, it's part of why we love them:

Come on, need I say more?
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 3:04pm

kenzo wrote:Is it as good as an 80's HK Kung Fu Flick? Of course not. It's America trying to do the same thing, Hollywood-style. But they're still reaching for that tradition. Some of those old films are melodramatic, but a lot of them are hokey and ridiculous, it's part of why we love them:

Come on, need I say more?

First off, thank you for admitting that US martial arts films are not as good as the ones produced in HK. Not even close. :)

Second, you're mixing your actors and films. Jackie Chan films commonly were written to be entertaining because of comedic elements/writing as well as awesome fight choreography. No other film exemplifies this more than "City Hunter," the clip you chose to include. It was based of the anime and has, among other things, giant mallets, a dance number, and a ridiculous plot.

In contrast, Jet Li films have much more focus on action and story. That's not to say some of his films don't contain light-hearted, comedic elements. I mean, the whole reason the Fong Sai Yuk films exist is because he couldn't do Wong Fei Hung films due to a contract dispute and there are tons of in jokes alluding to that fact.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby flufflogic » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 3:14pm

Man, I have so many of those Hong Kong Legends discs. Iron Monkey, man, fucking Iron Monkey.
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 3:28pm

flufflogic wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

Second, no it wasn't.
Fourth, no it wasn't.

I'm with kenzo too, The One is awesome.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 3:31pm

For those of you praising The One, fair enough. But go watch a really good Jet Li film, like Fearless, Once Upon a Time in China, or Fong Sai Yuk, and see if that shit holds up...or if you cry because you just saw one of wu shu's greatest practitioners declare he's nobody's bitch.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 3:39pm

jinpei05 wrote:Second, you're mixing your actors and films... Jet Li films have much more focus on action and story. That's not to say some of his films don't contain light-hearted, comedic elements. I mean, the whole reason the Fong Sai Yuk films exist is because he couldn't do Wong Fei Hung films due to a contract dispute and there are tons of in jokes alluding to that fact.
I'm not gonna get upset if The One violates Jet Li-canon and is uncommonly ridiculous for a film starring him. It was still entertaining, had some good martial arts, and a highlander-esque concept that was pretty interesting. And to be honest, Jet Li has always been kind of a downer to me. His films are all way too serious. I need some comedy thrown in there. I've always thought Jackie Chan > Jet Li for exactly that reason.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 3rd, 2010 @ 3:44pm

kenzo wrote:I'm not gonna get upset if The One violates Jet Li-canon and is uncommonly ridiculous for a film starring him. It was still entertaining, had some good martial arts, and a highlander-esque concept that was pretty interesting. And to be honest, Jet Li has always been kind of a downer to me. His films are all way too serious. I need some comedy thrown in there. I've always thought Jackie Chan > Jet Li for exactly that reason.

Fair enough. :)
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Creep » Aug 8th, 2010 @ 9:38am

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988). Growing up I watched every horror movie I could get my hands on. Better yet, anything with 80's "Scream Queen" Linnea Quigley was on my to-watch list. Pre alcohol and drugs, I do not know how I even finished it.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kfDtNeSGYw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kfDtNeSGYw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

However, one scene in particular left an impression on my pre-adolescent mind.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QW3SWml10ik&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QW3SWml10ik&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

And the Pièce de résistance, Flesh Eating Mothers (1988). Horrible. Horrible. This one almost completely cured me of my horror movie addiction.
[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Ze0EG1yqdk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Ze0EG1yqdk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I do not recommend either of these to anyone.
Creep

Postby mclazyj » Aug 9th, 2010 @ 11:52am

For those that mentioned the 2010 version of Clash of the Titans, you have nominated well. This movie is complete crap. The special effects are bad, the acting is stilted and bad, and even the Kraken is complete crap. The only thing that lives up to the hype is Liam Nielson "RELEASING THE KRAKEN".

Last edited by mclazyj on Aug 9th, 2010 @ 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
mclazyj

Postby Creep » Aug 9th, 2010 @ 12:56pm

Gemma Arterton was pretty hot though. Unfortunately a little eye candy could not make up for it's shortcomings. Yet again and example of a remake not living up to the source material.
Creep

Postby mclazyj » Aug 9th, 2010 @ 2:35pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:I'm not gonna get upset if The One violates Jet Li-canon and is uncommonly ridiculous for a film starring him. It was still entertaining, had some good martial arts, and a highlander-esque concept that was pretty interesting. And to be honest, Jet Li has always been kind of a downer to me. His films are all way too serious. I need some comedy thrown in there. I've always thought Jackie Chan > Jet Li for exactly that reason.

Fair enough. :)

I could never understand why they picked 122 universes. What was significant about 122.
mclazyj

Postby Master Higgins » Aug 9th, 2010 @ 2:59pm

kenzo wrote:100% sure. That film was so awful that if someone was trying to be that bad on purpose, they probably deserve an Oscar. You need to scroll up and read the Wikipedia entry on this film - it's so ridiculous.

My friend Mark (from God of Shamisen, had him on the podcast last year) met him at SDCC...

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Aug 9th, 2010 @ 5:23pm

Master Higgins wrote:My friend Mark (from God of Shamisen, had him on the podcast last year) met him at SDCC...

Dude, how awesome is your friend Mark???

I can't tell from that picture because Tommy Wiseau's hand is partially covering it - what's Mark's rank? He's clearly in command (white). Is he a captain? Does he fancy himself a rear-admiral? Is he humble and is merely a commander? Just curious.
kenzo

Postby arkmay » Aug 9th, 2010 @ 5:59pm

Hi there,
thanks Ryan for posting that picture of me.

I think my rank is secret.

As for Wisseau and his epic The Room, I am convinced his is a IRL troll and the film is an ingenious work of art. Sort of like sitting down and watching "Red White and Blaine" as if it's a real work. Wisseau has captured camp in a way a lot of others have tried and failed. The guy is also completely ridiculous when it comes to interviews and Q&A panels -- a character unto himself. I'm not convinced the accent is real. Look for some interviews on YouTube. Also any aspiring screenwriters really should see The Room to see anything and everything you should avoid in your own screenplays.

WISSEAU FOREVER!
arkmay

Postby Bobloblaw » Aug 9th, 2010 @ 6:16pm

arkmay wrote:WISSEAU FOREVER!

Word.
Bobloblaw

Postby kenzo » Aug 9th, 2010 @ 10:14pm

arkmay wrote:I think my rank is secret.

You're no fun.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Aug 21st, 2010 @ 9:09am

Hey, has anyone here dared to watch Piranha 3D this weekend? That looks like a piece of shit.

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Creep » Aug 21st, 2010 @ 10:19am

jinpei05 wrote:Hey, has anyone here dared to watch Piranha 3D this weekend? That looks like a piece of shit.

Oh yeah, an awesome piece of shit. Take the guy that directed Haute Tension and The Hills Have Eyes, give him a b-movie premise, a handful of actors past their prime, boobs, blood, and over the top gore, and you have the best movie of the summer.
Creep

Postby flufflogic » Aug 21st, 2010 @ 11:42am

Is it worse than Mega Piranha?
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » Aug 21st, 2010 @ 1:42pm

jinpei05 wrote:Hey, has anyone here dared to watch Piranha 3D this weekend? That looks like a piece of shit.

Movie looks awesome to me

also http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/piranha_3d/
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics