Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

About those Star Wars movies....

Postby Wobag » Oct 30th, 2010 @ 4:27am

Im surprised a thread hasnt sprung up already after the discussion of the rumoured new trilogy, apologies if I missed it.

The guys on the podcast mentioned the 'upcoming' TV show, so Im guessing they missed what Lucas said a couple of months ago. Something that might lend credence to these recent rumours.

Lucas said that the show was basically dead in the water, that despite a lot of planning they couldnt do a 'true' star wars experience with less than something ridiculous like $50M an episode.

Now these rumours. I cant be the only person to thing that Lucas had a financial future planned out for SW which has now pretty much vaporised. Consequently Im wondering if he has decided to reshape plans for the TV show into a third trilogy.

Remember, the TV show would have had none of the characters from the movie, and take place between trilogies, freeing them from a lot of continuity. Both things would make it relatively easy to repurpose a lot of that planning and design work to movies that took place well after ROTJ.

The upside is that Lucas was not going to write or direct the TV Show, so if hes looking to transition his TV plans into movie plans theres a decent chance he wont feel motivated to step up and do either this time.
Wobag

Re: About those Star Wars movies....

Postby flufflogic » Oct 30th, 2010 @ 5:28am

I can't see it. I mean, if he's going to do it post re-releasing all 6 in 3D, that's a long time in the future. Plus, if it's seriously set after the books, that is dumb. Dumb dumb dumb. Doing the Timothy Zahn Jedi Academy trilogy would be the smart choice, as it's actually well written, and not set in a universe so far removed from the films as to be unrecognisable.

If he is doing it, for real... Bah. Silly silly Lucas.
flufflogic

Postby jinpei05 » Oct 30th, 2010 @ 11:36am

Each time that man messes with Star Wars, I lose a little more affection for their legacy.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Oct 30th, 2010 @ 11:59am

jinpei05 wrote:Each time that man messes with Star Wars, I lose a little more affection for their legacy.
Pretty much. Every new thing that man creates, makes me think he's a hack and that he just got *really* lucky with the original Star Wars.
kenzo

Postby flufflogic » Oct 30th, 2010 @ 12:06pm

I get the feeling that, like Donnie Darko, the studio stepping in was the best thing that could've happened.
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » Nov 2nd, 2010 @ 12:14pm

I'd watch a Howard the Duck TV show.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Raine » Nov 2nd, 2010 @ 6:59pm

Raine

Postby BEARinaMANSUIT » Nov 5th, 2010 @ 9:42pm

kenzo wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Each time that man messes with Star Wars, I lose a little more affection for their legacy.
Pretty much. Every new thing that man creates, makes me think he's a hack and that he just got *really* lucky with the original Star Wars.

Obviously Hurley wrote them for him.
BEARinaMANSUIT

Postby KindGalaxy » Jan 1st, 2011 @ 11:10pm

Plinkett finally reviews Episode 3.

http://www.redlettermedia.com/
Never start a beef with a butcher
KindGalaxy

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 3rd, 2011 @ 1:28pm

YES!!!!!
lemon-fresh

Postby Creep » Jan 3rd, 2011 @ 2:10pm

With every new Star Wars related project, I like the franchise less and less. I'll probably never watch another Star Wars movie, or play a Star Wars game again so that I can keep the memory of the original three as a sci-fi masterpiece. Admitting to be a Star Wars fan is almost like admitting to being a Tobe Hooper fan. Sure his early stuff was good, but his recent stuff is garbage. I suppose that more accurately applies to Lucas. It's just so disappointing.
Creep

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 3rd, 2011 @ 2:17pm

Star Wars is becoming a two-bit whore with every passing year...
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby KindGalaxy » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 4:31am

jinpei05 wrote:Star Wars is becoming a two-bit whore with every passing year...

We call her, she who has wide canyon. Her entrance is a double door. Flowing river which with you can not see the other side.

She's a whore.
KindGalaxy

Postby KindGalaxy » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 4:36am

I never felt any attachment to any Star Wars things. I was just not a sci-fi person until I read... honestly, Jurassic Park. (I said READ.). I liked the movies, they were fun. But at this point.

Plinkett is Star Wars for me.

Now go watch his review of Episode 3!

http://www.redlettermedia.com/

I have no idea what the final twist of his review means... what movies shall he review now, what is this opening night theater... and was that child seen throughout the nightmare clips her child? Or was it another child and he truly did kill the Assassin's baby? I hope he does Inception. But I'm guessing he'll do Episode 4, 5 and 6 of Star Wars. We will dip further into Plinkett's madness as he begins to realise how BAD the original trilogy was, how rose-tinted his glasses were... and then... murder.
KindGalaxy

Postby MrBiggs » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 7:19am

The Clone Wars is quite possibly better Star Wars than the prequels. Granted it's aimed at young children and thus often has a moral that isn't very subtle, but it seems to hit more than it misses.
MrBiggs

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 10:15am

There's only one Clone Wars worth mentioning to me, and that's the animated series from Samurai Jack creator Genndy Tartakovsky.

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 11:51am

I only watched about a dozen episodes of the CG Clone Wars but honestly it was pretty good. I should go back and check out more of that.

Genddy's Clone Wars is great but the pacing is all fucked up due to Lucas' stupid restrictions on the first season and most of the storylines are throwaway. The only thing it really has going for it is the sweet action. And Shaak Ti. Anybody know if Shaak Ti made an appearance in the CG show at all?
LiQuid

Postby Creep » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 2:30pm

I went to Williams-Sonoma today and saw Star Wars themed cupcake toppers, cookie cutters, etc. Lucas is as bad as Gene Simmons when it comes to selling out.
Creep

Postby kenzo » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 3:19pm

Samurai Jack was overrated and wreaked of "what white people think Asian culture is all about." It was good, mindless fun, but nothing more. That first clone wars cartoon was the same - mindless fun and nothing more.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 3:58pm

kenzo wrote:Samurai Jack was overrated and wreaked of "what white people think Asian culture is all about." It was good, mindless fun, but nothing more. That first clone wars cartoon was the same - mindless fun and nothing more.

Um, actually, if you watched the commentary on the box set DVDs, you'd see they went to great lengths to preserve the authenticity of the martial arts and cultural backgrounds associated with them.

The vocal performances by Phil LaMarr and Mako gave the characters both depth and personality, and I couldn't imagine the series being nearly as awesome without their participation.

There are episodes that are quite cinematic in scope, with long dramatic pauses of no dialogue or music, that when the action starts, it's quite jarring.

And if it's so over-rated, why was it nominated and won multiple Emmy awards? Why is JJ Abrams' Bad Robot Productions in pre-production for a feature film that's highly anticipated?
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 4:06pm

I bet you thought The Last Samurai was pretty authentic as well.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 4:07pm

Never watched it.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Creep » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 4:39pm

The Last Samurai. More like, The Last Movie I Will Pay To See That Stars Tom Cruise. Scientology is a cult, and he is a recruiter. Thank you, good night.
Creep

Postby Raine » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 10:18pm

Eh, Tom Cruise and his scientology is no worse than all those movie stars who ignorantly spew left wing rhetoric. No one takes scientology seriously anyway, and War of the Worlds was a pretty good movie, excepting some plot holes and the fact they didn't have the balls to kill the son.
Raine

Postby Creep » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 10:47pm

I live within a stone's throw from Clearwater, their Mecca. So in my neck of the woods, people actually buy into this nonsense. So naturally, I can't help but to talk shit whenever I have the chance. Though, to be honest, I liked Magnolia in part because of Tom Cruise's performance.

Anyway, Star Wars movies right? Freakin Lucas.
Creep

Postby kenzo » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 11:04pm

jinpei05 wrote:Never watched it.
Keep it that way. You're better off for it. It's actually a somewhat entertaining film if it wasn't for the fact that everything about it is bullshit.
kenzo

Postby KindGalaxy » Jan 4th, 2011 @ 11:16pm

KindGalaxy

Postby flufflogic » Jan 5th, 2011 @ 8:18am

If you know NOTHING of Japan, Last Samurai isn't bad. Just utterly fucking ignorant of reality.
flufflogic

Postby Raine » Jan 5th, 2011 @ 8:23am

kenzo wrote:It's actually a somewhat entertaining film if it wasn't for the fact that everything about it is bullshit.

It's kind of funny when a movie puts itself in that situation. I mean, Braveheart was loaded with artistic license, inaccuracies, and total made up bullshit, but it was a fantastic movie.

Star Wars. . . here's what I think about Star Wars: There are three movies, 1 1/2 are really, really good sci-fi movies, the other 1 1/2 are decent childrens adventure movies and contribute well to the overall trilogy. Prequels, books, animated series, games, meh, don't give a shit about those.
Raine

Postby lemon-fresh » Jan 5th, 2011 @ 9:41am

Agreed, the animated clone wars was amazing (as well as samurai jack).

Created unrealistic expectations for the third movie...

lemon-fresh

Next
Forum Statistics