Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 12:37am

Oh boy. I just watched the first X-Men again and holy shit is that movie way worse than I remember. The part where Magneto is holding all the cops at gunpoint with their own guns, out of nowhere they focus on a single cop and he lets out his best "BLEEEAAAARGHHHHH!!!" and I literally laughed so loud I scared the fuck out of my cat.

Just started X2 and got about a half hour in before I was so bored I had to come see what the internet was up to. The Nightcrawler teleport scene was pretty much better than the entire first movie, which is extra funny cause it's just a gimmicky special effects scene. Literally nothing else has happened in the first half hour. I might as well be watching a black screen. I've got 3 and Wolverine at the ready and I'll put those on tomorrow morning so I can start my day off well.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 1:01am

The only real failure of X3 is the failure to get Nightcrawler back into the mix.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 3:06am

I did manage to finish X2. Man what a boring fucking movie. All you people that think it is great are insane. The overall story is pretty good. Kind of a loose adaptation of God Loves, Man Kills. The execution is just piss poor though. The movie gains a half an hour's worth of run time from the first one and the extra time is completely unjustified. The extended gay allegory at Iceman's house is painful to sit through. Mutants hanging out in church and camping out in the woods is just an egregious waste of viewer's time.

Barely any of the action setpieces are even halfway as close as entertaining as the first or third's. Oh shit! Pyro lit some cars on fire! Let's have a Trekian X-Jet sequence with everyone bouncing around in their seats! Oh wait, one wasn't enough? Let's have another, only during this one Wolverine and Shitclops are gonna have a good cry! Literally the only entertaining action scenes in the whole movie are the Nightcrawler intro and Stryker fucking up the school. Shit is so front loaded. The rest of the movie just drags.

Also a thing I noticed about the first two movies that I'll have to pay attention to in the third, but I'm pretty sure Ratner fixes: All of the "henchmen" villains in these flicks, aside from Mystique is practically a damn mute. Toad has like 2 lines, and thank christ for Ray Park who actually was able to give the villain some personality via body language. Sabretooth did nothing but fucking growl twice and look like a hairy retard. Don't even get me fucking started with Lady Deathstrike. "Hey, I'm just gonna stand around in a suit for 2 hours and then show up at the end for some bullshit wire-fu. Now I'm crying metal. Peace out!" Whine all you want about "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" (and yes, I know where the reference is from), but that's the kind of god damned silly, comic book-ass line I want my villains yelling!
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 6:19am

God damn it. X-men 3 was actually better than the last time I saw it (opening night at the theater). Non-stop, awesome god damned action with a ton of gratuitous use of mutant powers everywhere. There's an all-out mutant fight in the first ten minutes! Magento turning cars into tin cans! Dude, Magneto's gang of mutant punks! ( :lol: ) Also what the hell is up with Magneto constantly camping out in the woods in these god damned movies? Can't he like rent out a warehouse or something at least like the fucking Foot Clan? Best parts though were by far the most memorable scene of the whole trilogy at Jean's house where Phoenix fucks up X (with it's sick ass score!) and the final showdown, which is now firmly in my mind the single most perfect adaptation of "comic book" as a genre into a film. Magneto moving the GG bridge, Juggernaut plowing through a group of soldiers to the sound of bowling pins and every single god damned mutant on screen using their powers... It's almost too much awesome to take in.

I honestly don't understand a single complaint about the movie. It made watching the first two snoozers completely worth while. I was just checking Wikipedia and I found this:
Matthew Vaughn, who was attached as director for the film before dropping out (LiQuid's note, this is now the director of First Class), criticized Ratner's direction. "I could have made something a hundred times better than the film that was eventually made. It sounds arrogant," he continued, "but I could have done something with far more emotion and heart. I'm probably going to be told off for saying that, but I genuinely believe it."

Well, sir, the gauntlet has been fucking thrown down. Bring it, don't sing it, my man. Show me what you've got. Also, I dunno if this fuckface got the memo, but I don't want my god damned superhero movies to have "far more emotion and heart" I want them to have shit blowing up and people dying and I want crazy ass fucking mutant powers to be the cause. If this asshole follows up Ratner's opus with Fried Green God Damned Tomatoes I'm gonna be pissed.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 9:47am

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:You guys are so full of shit. Really X-men 3 among the worst superhero movies of all time? Have you guys never seen the shit heaps that are Daredevil, Electra, or Ghostrider?
Hyperbole is par for the course here, you should know this. :lol:

I think Daredevil and Ghost Rider are better than X-3. No hyperbole. Maybe it's just because I thought the second one was so good, than I hate the third one so much. The video game boss fights in Wolverine killed that movie for me, but X-3 was just such a let down after the (gasp) seriousness of the first two movies. I want my action, don't get me wrong, but the overall feel of the first two were so much better than the third.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 11:33am

Master Higgins wrote:I think Daredevil and Ghost Rider are better than X-3. No hyperbole. Maybe it's just because I thought the second one was so good, than I hate the third one so much. The video game boss fights in Wolverine killed that movie for me, but X-3 was just such a let down after the (gasp) seriousness of the first two movies. I want my action, don't get me wrong, but the overall feel of the first two were so much better than the third.
I'm giving you an out, and you're seriously going to keep arguing that X3 is worse than this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 11:40am

Higgins is full of shit. I have yet to even hear a worthwhile argument about what exactly is bad about X3. I'm thinking about bumping Fantastic Four off my top 3 comic movies and throwing X3 on there instead. I need to rewatch FF though, cause I remember that movie being Baller. As. Fuck.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 12:40pm

LiQuid wrote:Higgins is full of shit. I have yet to even hear a worthwhile argument about what exactly is bad about X3. I'm thinking about bumping Fantastic Four off my top 3 comic movies and throwing X3 on there instead. I need to rewatch FF though, cause I remember that movie being Baller. As. Fuck.

Fantastic Four is another one of the worst super hero movies ever made. The only good parts are Johnny and Ben. Reed, Sue, and Doom are just awful. And I don't know how much clearer I can be: bad acting, bad plot, a billion useless characters, terrible effects (seriously, the "young" Prof X and Magneto looked terrible,) just bad...

And Kenzo, outside of Catwoman, none of those movies count.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 1:53pm

How do they not count?
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 2:12pm

kenzo wrote:How do they not count?

They were made for over $500?
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 6:54pm

TL:DR: Nerds are stupid and X-Men 3 was great.

You're still not exempt from reading this Higgins, so get crack-a-lacking.
bad acting, bad plot, a billion useless characters, terrible effects (seriously, the "young" Prof X and Magneto looked terrible,) just bad...

Acting: So you think the dip in acting quality between the first two movies and 3 was that drastic? Well I beg to differ. Halle Berry's Storm was unwatchable in the first two movies. The interplay between Cyclops and Wolverine was forced and the "emotion" on display at the end of X2 where Jean bites it was legitimately painful to watch (I'm not kidding, I had to clutch my chest. It might had been the Baconator I had for dinner last night. I didn't really eat a Baconator. Yuck). I felt the acting, if not improved, was at least completely par for what was offered in the first two films. There were just as many silly line deliveries as the Toad/lightning line, or Mystique flipping off Strykers goons while sliding into the control base.

Plot: I don't even know what shit like "bad plot" means. The Dark Phoenix arc is one of the most memorable from the entire series and I thought it was handled really well. They got rid of Cyclops early and made the relationship between Jean and Wolvie look far more believable than anything her and Scott had going on in the previous movies. Also the cure stuff was great too. It drew political and personal lines for so many characters in the movie and there were sympathetic cases on both sides of the battle. I actually felt worse for Magneto losing his powers than I did for Chuck eating it trying to save his friend.

The plot of the first movie is Magneto trying to kidnap Rogue so he can use her to amplify his powers to turn the "world's leaders" into mutants with a big ass fucking mutant field generator thing. You're telling me that's better than the cure/Dark Phoenix storylines? The second movie, as far as I can tell didn't even fucking have a plot until like the last five minutes. Stryker wanted to kill all mutants using Prof. X and Cerebro.. Ok I guess that works alright, but the plan still hinged on recreating one of the (supposedly) most advanced piece of technology on the planet (how the fuck did Charles and Erik even make that in the first place? Tali-Ho, First Class! Let's hear it!). And at it's base, it's still just a shitty fucking Bond plot. Evil Man wants to rule the world/rid it of mutants. Same old shit. It's far less interesting to me than a cure for mutation being found and the ramifications of that...

Characters: Have you never read an X-men comic? There are so many characters in that series it's insane they've managed to scale it down for the movies. Sure I would have loved to see Colossus at least get a single character development scene, a la, Kitty, but whatever. He's a big Russian dude that can turn into metal. As for the Brotherhood's useless characters, I'm glad they wasted henchmen status on shitty characters like Spine Face Asian Man, Spike Throwing Large Man, and Arclight, instead of introducing more important villains in background roles. Juggernaut was amazing and I won't hear otherwise.

Effects: I'm don't even want to glorify your dislike of a three minute sequence in the movie's opening with a response. As for the rest of the effects in the movie, I thought the they were absolutely fine and at the very least comparable to those from the first two movies. Special effects aren't even fucking special anymore. Any dipshit with a Macintosh can throw special effects in a movie. This was hardly that. To think this wasn't effected at the same caliber as other Hollywood movies, especially the first two is insane. Jean shredding Xavier and especially Wolverine was completely memorable and well done.

Nerds LOVE to cry cause Singer went off to take his shitty emogoth superhero bullshit over to the Superman franchise and left the X-men in the hands of someone far more capable of making it into the entertaining action romp it should have been from the get go. Those first movies wowed even me upon first viewing because I was seeing a legitimate, big-screen adaptation of one of my favorite comics growing up, and believe me, I'm still really glad they exist. Despite being awkward as shit in parts, but upon scrutiny they are just drab, bland, uneventful movies. Neither of the first two movies contains as affecting a piece of X-men storytelling and as much balls out action as the third.
LiQuid

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 8:49pm

ITT: LiQuid nerd-raging the fuck out. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Apr 30th, 2011 @ 10:11pm

jinpei05 wrote:ITT: LiQuid nerd-raging the fuck out. :lol:

About nerds too, which is even more :lol: !
LiQuid

Postby indieinsd » May 19th, 2011 @ 8:47pm

I've seen the new Xmen First Class trailer 3 times and it fucking gives me chills everytime. I dont know if trailers are just getting better (Transformers 3 trailer also looks good but I have zero desire to see it) but First Class looks fucking dope.
indieinsd

Postby Raine » May 20th, 2011 @ 5:51am

You should check out the trailer they've been running on kids programming. It makes the movie look like a ridiculous piece of shit.
Raine

Postby DarthChris4 » May 20th, 2011 @ 10:44am

i've yet to meet any nerds/geeks who won't go see these kind of movies. for nothing else than to bash them online after they're done watching. so while we might debate how good these movies are and which ones suck and blah blah blah. aren't we all just kidding ourselves by saying we won't see them? because eventually we will so that we can hate/love on them some more.

in regards to first class, it looks okay. i thought the blue and yellow uniforms were cheesy when i first saw the trailer, but it's kind of cool that they'll be taking a cue from the older comics for the uniforms. i don't think they look as good as the suits from X1 and X2, but they look okay.

i'm not too sure who emma frost is, but where is iceman? he was one of the original 5 mutants on the team. i love me some bobby drake! (best part of X3 in my opinion is his transformation)
DarthChris4

Postby DarthChris4 » May 24th, 2011 @ 4:28pm

What do Farmer's Insurance and Xavier's School for the Gifted have in common you may ask?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOEApFa_7-4[/youtube]
DarthChris4

Postby kenzo » May 24th, 2011 @ 4:44pm

DarthChris4 wrote:What do Farmer's Insurance and Xavier's School for the Gifted have in common you may ask?

Dear DarthChris4,
You're doing youtube videos wrong. Look at my post and see how I did it. Thanks.

<3,
Kenzo
kenzo

Postby DarthChris4 » May 24th, 2011 @ 4:56pm

kenzo wrote:You're doing youtube videos wrong. Look at my post and see how I did it.

Are you saying the content is wrong? Or how I put the video in the post. Because if it's the latter, it didn't look like the video was working on my screen but I couldn't fix it. If it's the former, I'm sorry my videos aren't up to snuff.
DarthChris4

Postby kenzo » May 24th, 2011 @ 5:09pm

DarthChris4 wrote:
kenzo wrote:You're doing youtube videos wrong. Look at my post and see how I did it.

Are you saying the content is wrong? Or how I put the video in the post. Because if it's the latter, it didn't look like the video was working on my screen but I couldn't fix it. If it's the former, I'm sorry my videos aren't up to snuff.

You're using the forum's youtube tags wrong. Look at my previous post and see how I re-wrote it so that your video works.

It's an obtuse system, but it is what it is.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » May 25th, 2011 @ 8:07am

--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Govir » May 25th, 2011 @ 8:16am

kenzo wrote:
DarthChris4 wrote:

You're using the forum's youtube tags wrong. Look at my previous post and see how I re-wrote it so that your video works.

It's an obtuse system, but it is what it is.

Or you could just say you only have to use the video id in the youtube tag, not the whole url so that he doesn't have to quote your post in order to figure out what's different.

DarthChris4 wrote:
Code: Select all
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOEApFa_7-4[/youtube]

kenzo wrote:
Code: Select all
[youtube]LOEApFa_7-4[/youtube]
Govir

Postby LiQuid » May 25th, 2011 @ 9:33am

1. That's not major. 2. Comic book character cameos in comic book movies aren't spoilers. 3. Especially not Wolverine.

I really want to see this movie and think it's probably going to be pretty dope, but how come the mutant roster seems to thin? Of all the OG X-men I only see Beast listed in the credits.
LiQuid

Postby GiantAsianMan » May 25th, 2011 @ 10:00am

LiQuid wrote:

1. That's not major. 2. Comic book character cameos in comic book movies aren't spoilers. 3. Especially not Wolverine.

Its not spoilery to say that comic book movies will have random cameos in them; everyone expects that. But I think the specific characters/actors that cameo are spoilers (you know, for people that actually want to be surprised when they go to the movies, ie- people not like me). Outside of the main featured cast, any other character that may show up, however briefly, should be considered a spoiler because the film makers clearly didn't want you to know about them beforehand; they want you to be surprised and say, "Hey, it's that guy!" even if "that guy" is the most recognizable character they have. They didn't publicize the cameo, thus they wanted to keep it a secret, thus knowing it is a spoiler.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 2nd, 2011 @ 1:39pm

from what ive heard its been getting some good reviews and just positive stuff about this in general so i figure its worth a midnight showing, anyone else goin for opening day?
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 2nd, 2011 @ 5:13pm

kevinep3 wrote:from what ive heard its been getting some good reviews and just positive stuff about this in general so i figure its worth a midnight showing, anyone else goin for opening day?

Probably the Monday after. AMC $5 movies Mon-Thurs save me a lot of money and the aggravation of opening night crowds.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 2nd, 2011 @ 6:50pm

LiQuid wrote:I really want to see this movie and think it's probably going to be pretty dope, but how come the mutant roster seems to thin? Of all the OG X-men I only see Beast listed in the credits.

Because the rest of the x-men aren't born yet in the timeline?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 2nd, 2011 @ 7:49pm

Mr_eX wrote:
LiQuid wrote:I really want to see this movie and think it's probably going to be pretty dope, but how come the mutant roster seems to thin? Of all the OG X-men I only see Beast listed in the credits.

Because the rest of the x-men aren't born yet in the timeline?

Only according to the first trilogy's stupid continuity. They should have ditched all that bullshit and started over from scratch.
LiQuid

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 2nd, 2011 @ 11:40pm

so i just got back and i can safely say this is the best xmen movie, also that cameo is pretty hilarious.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 3rd, 2011 @ 6:59pm

Best X-Men movie by far. I hope we get more young Magneto movies.

It's way better than Thor.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics