Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby InuiTakumi23 » Jun 3rd, 2011 @ 9:58pm

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was handled very even if they took some liberties with the background story at points. The actors who played Erik and Charles were really good. And the cameos were awesome, one being more subtle than the other (to the point that my brother didnt catch it).

I definitely would say tht this makes up for X3 and slightly for Xmen: Wolverine, even though i still kinda like the wolverine movie.
"I'm just a passing-through Kamen Rider. Remember that!"
~Tsukasa/Kamen Rider Decade
InuiTakumi23
User avatar
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 16th, 2009 @ 7:18pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby LiQuid » Jun 3rd, 2011 @ 10:08pm

I'm gonna boycott this fucking movie if I hear another person say it makes up for X-3.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby InuiTakumi23 » Jun 3rd, 2011 @ 10:41pm

LiQuid wrote:I'm gonna boycott this fucking movie if I hear another person say it makes up for X-3.


Boycott it all you want. You're the one missing out. X3 is the least favorite for me, so i thought this made up for it. Whats wrong with sayin that?
"I'm just a passing-through Kamen Rider. Remember that!"
~Tsukasa/Kamen Rider Decade
InuiTakumi23
User avatar
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 16th, 2009 @ 7:18pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby kenzo » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 2:52am

LiQuid wrote:I'm gonna boycott this fucking movie if I hear another person say it makes up for X-3.
This was teh bes tfilm i ever slept and purked through.\
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 7:59am

Magneto is so great in this movie. It should have been called Magneto and a bunch of freaks you don't care about.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 10:10am

yeah magnetos dark parts in the movie are probably my fav parts
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3
User avatar
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 6:19am
Location: Northwest Ct

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby kenzo » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 12:26pm

Was there anything that played at the end of the credits? I couldn't stick around long enough to see...
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 2:11pm

InuiTakumi23 wrote:
LiQuid wrote:I'm gonna boycott this fucking movie if I hear another person say it makes up for X-3.


Boycott it all you want. You're the one missing out. X3 is the least favorite for me, so i thought this made up for it. Whats wrong with sayin that?


X3 was a piece of shit. Thanks for nothing, Brett Ratner.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby DarthChris4 » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 6:30pm

kenzo wrote:Was there anything that played at the end of the credits? I couldn't stick around long enough to see...


Sadly nothing after the credits.

I enjoyed it. Fassbender was insanely good as Erik/Magneto. There were a couple parts that didn't make sense.
Spoiler: show
Why did they need to make Angel a stripper chick with insect wings? And the consequences, or lack thereof, when Magneto kills Shaw?
But overall I thought it was a great movie. I need to re-watch Thor with some friends and they'll want to see First Class as well. I thought both were really good
DarthChris4
User avatar
 
Posts: 175
Joined: May 4th, 2011 @ 9:16am
Location: san jose, ca

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby LiQuid » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 6:50pm

DarthChris4 wrote:Why did they need to make Angel a stripper chick with insect wings?

That wasn't Angel as in Warren Worthington, the Angel in First Class was based on Angel Salvadore, who was way more gross in the comics. Actual Angel still exists in the movies' stupid continuity as Warren in X-men 3.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 7:17pm

Magneto stole the movie but Professor X was pretty great too.
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby indieinsd » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 8:43pm

Mr_eX wrote:Magneto stole the movie but Professor X was pretty great too.
Fassbender was great, and I thought Jennifer Lawrence as Raven was pretty good. But I was pretty disappointed in everything else. M. Vaughn just didn't go the distance with recreating the period believably. It's like he watched a bunch of MAD MEN episodes and all he took away from it was that the costumes are cool. I dont think half the cast knew what time period they were supposed to be in. Fassbender/January Jones/McAvoy didn't have to do much because they were used to it but everyone else was just fucking lost.

Spoiler: show
Also Prof X doing yard beers, who thought that was a good idea? And killing Darwin right after you introduce him is not fucking smart. There was zero emotional impact of that scene because we had no connection to the character at all. Shit killing Angel would have been a lot better just because it's a women and there was more time spent on her origin.


I guess I was hoping for too much.

It was better than Thor though. I'm guessing it will probably be the best superhero/comic film this summer.
indieinsd
User avatar
 
Posts: 1522
Joined: Mar 8th, 2009 @ 9:28pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 8:56pm

indieinsd wrote:
It was better than Thor though. I'm guessing it will probably be the best superhero/comic film this summer.

well you mean 2nd best after green lantern
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3
User avatar
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Mar 10th, 2009 @ 6:19am
Location: Northwest Ct

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 4th, 2011 @ 9:01pm

indieinsd wrote:
Spoiler: show
Also Prof X doing yard beers, who thought that was a good idea? And killing Darwin right after you introduce him is not fucking smart. There was zero emotional impact of that scene because we had no connection to the character at all. Shit killing Angel would have been a lot better just because it's a women and there was more time spent on her origin.



Spoiler: show
So you really think Darwin is dead? Wouldn't he have just adapted himself into energy to survive?


How could they have adapted that time period better in the context of a x-men movie?
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby DarthChris4 » Jun 5th, 2011 @ 9:35am

LiQuid wrote:
DarthChris4 wrote:Why did they need to make Angel a stripper chick with insect wings?

That wasn't Angel as in Warren Worthington, the Angel in First Class was based on Angel Salvadore, who was way more gross in the comics. Actual Angel still exists in the movies' stupid continuity as Warren in X-men 3.


Thanks LiQuid. While I thought Warren was a tad gay in X3, I like the character and would be happy to see the real Angel in another movie.
DarthChris4
User avatar
 
Posts: 175
Joined: May 4th, 2011 @ 9:16am
Location: san jose, ca

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jun 5th, 2011 @ 3:07pm

indieinsd wrote:I dont think half the cast knew what time period they were supposed to be in. Fassbender/January Jones/McAvoy didn't have to do much because they were used to it but everyone else was just fucking lost.

The time period had nothing to do with January Jones not doing much; she didn't do much because that's all her range is as an actress. She was terrible in this movie (and look, Damon Lindelof agrees!). Looked great in her costumes, no doubt, but couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this movie. I liked how they decided to simply ditch the previous movie trilogy continuity (plus Origins: Wolverine) and just start over. I think it led to a better final product. Had they been tied down to existing (movie) continuity, I think the film would've gotten bogged down in trying to service those stories instead of focusing on the at hand.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 9:20pm
Location: West Chester, Ohio

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby Retro Clone » Jun 5th, 2011 @ 4:37pm

uh wow, this movie was great better than the past 3 X-men films lets hope we can get part 2.....

my one grip about that film is really well nothing.

Spoiler: show
the wolverine cameo was awesome, the greatest use of Fuck in a pg13 movie ever.

and the way Magneto took out Shaw was fucking bad ass.
Always take a banana to a party.


"@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"
Retro Clone
User avatar
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Apr 1st, 2011 @ 10:30pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby kenzo » Jun 5th, 2011 @ 10:01pm

GiantAsianMan wrote:The time period had nothing to do with January Jones not doing much; she didn't do much because that's all her range is as an actress. She was terrible in this movie (and look, Damon Lindelof agrees!). Looked great in her costumes, no doubt, but couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.
THIS.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby LiQuid » Jun 5th, 2011 @ 10:22pm

Wow Damon Lindelof is mean.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 5th, 2011 @ 10:35pm

He's not wrong though
Mr_eX
User avatar
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 15654
Joined: Apr 8th, 2009 @ 3:01pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby totoro » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 5:08am

I really, really enjoyed the movie. However it continued the trend of...

Spoiler: show
Killing off fairly major villains. I think there's nothing more disappointing than when they do this.

On a positive note - Mystique going with Magneto at the end was exactly as it should be and give us a chance to see Nightcrawler in the future.


Magneto really does steal the whole movie and Fassbender brought a great range to the character that's impossible to see in McKellen's previous performances (since he's obviously already gone all the way bad by that point). I thought it was great to see most of the mutants before they were confident in the abilities and in the end it made them more believable as characters. Just my 2 cents.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0559-6917-7116
totoro
User avatar
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: Dec 28th, 2010 @ 10:32am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby kenzo » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 1:33pm

I'm fine with killing of huge villains. Movies much more than TV shows or comics need to be concise and self-contained experiences. And it's hard to have a satisfying resolution to a film without having a triumphant and conclusive victory over the villain. Also, X-Men more than any other franchise has probably the largest pantheon of villains to draw from. We've got five films and zero appearances of core baddies like Apocalypse - they'll be fine for a while, and when they finally do run out of villains there's always reboots.

What I don't understand though is how they defeated Kevin Bacon in the end. I know Professor X was impairing Kevin Bacon from moving. Was he also suppressing his super powers as well? Because for a villain like him, absorbing either the kinetic energy of the coin or the electromagnetic energy used to move it shouldn't have been an issue.
kenzo
User avatar
 
Posts: 26706
Joined: Apr 21st, 2009 @ 6:01pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby LiQuid » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 1:54pm

kenzo wrote:Also, X-Men more than any other franchise has probably the largest pantheon of villains to draw from. We've got five films and zero appearances of core baddies like Apocalypse - they'll be fine for a while, and when they finally do run out of villains there's always reboots.

This is the bane of the modern comic book movie. They're too afraid to be like comic books. I've been bitching about Batman and Superman using shitty villains when they have THE best rogues galleries in comic books. X-men has a seriously retarded villain roster too and so far it has just been Magneto this and Sabertooth that. I dunno if it's the adherence to realism or lack of budget for big silly bad guys, but where are my Sentinels? Where's Apoc or Sinister? How fucking amazing would Mojo be as an X-Men villain?
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 2:07pm

LiQuid wrote:
kenzo wrote:Also, X-Men more than any other franchise has probably the largest pantheon of villains to draw from. We've got five films and zero appearances of core baddies like Apocalypse - they'll be fine for a while, and when they finally do run out of villains there's always reboots.

This is the bane of the modern comic book movie. They're too afraid to be like comic books. I've been bitching about Batman and Superman using shitty villains when they have THE best rogues galleries in comic books. X-men has a seriously retarded villain roster too and so far it has just been Magneto this and Sabertooth that. I dunno if it's the adherence to realism or lack of budget for big silly bad guys, but where are my Sentinels? Where's Apoc or Sinister? How fucking amazing would Mojo be as an X-Men villain?


Batman, yes. Superman, not so much. Outside of Luthor, Darkseid, and Brainiac, you have a bunch of B and C-listers

It's about not wanting to ailienate mainstream audiences with lengthy explanations of back stories.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby LiQuid » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 2:21pm

jinpei05 wrote:Darkseid, and Brainiac

It's a shame that there have been 5 (soon 6) Superman movies and neither of those guys has been featured yet.
LiQuid
User avatar
 
Posts: 28315
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 8:57pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 2:22pm

LiQuid wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Darkseid, and Brainiac

It's a shame that there have been 5 (soon 6) Superman movies and neither of those guys has been featured yet.

Agreed.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby Master Higgins » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 2:32pm

Fantastic movie, but it has two things I can't get over.

1. January Jones is the worst actor that's ever lived. Ever. She's terrible, terrible, terrible. She's like a brick that got stoned.

2. Chuck Austen must have been paid for Azazal. Seriously. Read the reviews for each issue in the story line, might need to just change the number in the url, since the site seems to be gone. The reviews are glorious.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up
 
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mar 9th, 2009 @ 9:46pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby jinpei05 » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 2:38pm

Master Higgins wrote:Fantastic movie, but it has two things I can't get over.

1. January Jones is the worst actor that's ever lived. Ever. She's terrible, terrible, terrible. She's like a brick that got stoned.

2. Chuck Austen must have been paid for Azazal. Seriously. Read the reviews for each issue in the story line, might need to just change the number in the url, since the site seems to be gone. The reviews are glorious.


1. If you're watching January Jones for her acting skills, you're stupid and quite possibly gay.

2. Don't you know the currency for good reviews in Hollywood is sexual favors???
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP
 
Posts: 8224
Joined: Mar 7th, 2009 @ 11:55pm

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby DarthChris4 » Jun 6th, 2011 @ 2:52pm

kenzo wrote:What I don't understand though is how they defeated Kevin Bacon in the end. I know Professor X was impairing Kevin Bacon from moving. Was he also suppressing his super powers as well? Because for a villain like him, absorbing either the kinetic energy of the coin or the electromagnetic energy used to move it shouldn't have been an issue.


That's what I was wondering too. He's contained all the nuclear/kinetic energy from the sub's reactor, so he's got that energy primed to go. We saw earlier in the movie how he would suck up energy then use it to kill or destroy something. So when he bites it, where does that energy go? One of the Laws of Thermodynamics explicitly states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, and since the newer Marvel movies are supposed to be more "realistic," it seems they would have thought about this when writing that final battle scene.
DarthChris4
User avatar
 
Posts: 175
Joined: May 4th, 2011 @ 9:16am
Location: san jose, ca

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby Govir » Jun 7th, 2011 @ 5:25am

kenzo wrote:What I don't understand though is how they defeated Kevin Bacon in the end.


I don't know much about the character, but it was my understanding that he had to be able to move to absorb the power. This is only going off of the special effects when it was happening though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Govir
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 24th, 2010 @ 1:43pm

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Options

Return to TV and Movies

cron