Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: X-Men: First Class

Postby kenzo » Feb 11th, 2011 @ 3:39am

So many things about this is obviously breaking with the continuity set by the previous films, but the visuals are almost all in line with the previous film's design choices meant to imply continuity with the previous films. Go one way or the other, you can't have it both ways - either put it out there as a full reboot or get your canon in line. The ambiguity of things like this is awful.

Although I do have to say that the premise - A Silver Age X-Men set... well, in the Silver Age - is very interesting and compelling to me. It's unfortunate then that they have to ruin it with general Hollywood shenanigans.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 11th, 2011 @ 7:11am

So you guys are saying its a 100% guaranteed train wreck?
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Creep » Feb 11th, 2011 @ 9:34am

Looks good to me.
Creep

Postby flufflogic » Feb 11th, 2011 @ 11:34am

The trailer didn't seem too bad - until it started linking to the previous film trilogy. Then I remembered how I utterly fucking hated all 3, and stopped caring.
flufflogic

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 11th, 2011 @ 11:44am

First one was ok and X2 I thought was great.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby MrDrifter » Feb 11th, 2011 @ 1:32pm

Mr_eX wrote:First one was ok and X2 I thought was great.

Agreed. It was actually The first two Spider-man films and X2 that got me into comic books.
Around the time those came out, the Ultimate versions of them were just starting up and from there I got into 616 and so on... So I remember them fondly...

It was X3 that lost me completely... randomly killing off Cyclops and Xavier? Was there no other way to write them out of the already ridiculous story? It suffered just like Spider-man 3 where they tried to cram to much shit into one movie.

Does anyone remember the teaser for the first Spiderman film? It was out for about a month before it was removed from theaters because of 9/11. I worked at a movie theater at the time and stole the original teaser poster with the twin towers before it got recalled.

Now THATS how you do a teaser!
Prepare for trouble...
MrDrifter

Postby jinpei05 » Feb 11th, 2011 @ 2:08pm

The second X-Men/Spider-Man films were the best of their respective series.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 27th, 2011 @ 3:15pm

I just realized that Angel is played by Lenny Kravitz's little girl, Zoe. :o

jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Apr 27th, 2011 @ 3:47pm

Embedding disabled.

Does anyone actually have expectations for this film? Other than "I expect it to suck"?
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 27th, 2011 @ 3:58pm

I am actually going to see it. That's a step up from when I started this thread.

Gonna go in open-minded.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Raine » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 10:12am

Where's all this love for X-Men 2 come from? That movie sucked. It sucked hard, in many different ways.
Raine

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 10:44am

Raine wrote:Where's all this love for X-Men 2 come from? That movie sucked. It sucked hard, in many different ways.

Better than the first one.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 1:27pm

I didn't think any of the X-men movies sucked, really but I rank them 3-1-Wolverine-2. X2 was really dry and boring to me and just an overall not very entertaining movie. Also what was up with Magneto camping in the woods at just the right place where the X-jet happened to be crashing?
LiQuid

Postby Raine » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 8:32pm

jinpei05 wrote:Better than the first one.

I dunno about that. It had better ideas than the first one, I'll give it that, but it wasn't executed as well as the first one. . . which doesn't say much, because the first one was obviously and sloppily taking cues from The Matrix.

At least we all can agree that the third movie sucked, and the Wolverine movie was dumber than a sack of hammers.
Raine

Postby LiQuid » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 8:34pm

Raine wrote:At least we all can agree that the third movie sucked

No we can't.
LiQuid

Postby Raine » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 9:18pm

LiQuid wrote:
Raine wrote:At least we all can agree that the third movie sucked

No we can't.

Yes we can.

Or did you like it because of it's great editing, fantastic acting, and tight script?

I'm saying, if you like something in a "so bad it's good" kind of way, saying "it sucks" is still true.
Raine

Postby LiQuid » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 9:26pm

I legitimately and without irony think that the third X-men movie is the best adaptation of the X-men comic book team that exists currently.
LiQuid

Postby Raine » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 10:37pm

That. . . may actually be a reasonable point of view to have. I think it was you that said you thought Batman and Robin was better than the Dark Knight because Dark Knight was "GRRR, I'm dark and serious!" and Batman and Robin was crazy, comicy-booky slapstick action, and I'm guessing there's a similar train of thought there.
Raine

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Apr 28th, 2011 @ 11:54pm

Arguments about which one of the previous movies is the best aside, I'd like to present my view;

If we really want to see a good movie involving the X-Men again, let's not see First Class.

Let's face it, Fox is just cranking these out because they want to keep the rights to X-Men movies, because they don't want to risk Marvel getting them back and Disney getting money they might've had. I personally checked out by the time the credits were finished in X-Men Origins Wolverine, and lost all hope in the sequel when Darren Aronofsky quit.

Again, arguments aside, the series went on Rotten Tomatoes from 82% on the first to 37% with Wolverine. That is a BIG damn drop. I say Fox had their shot, let's all just admit their X-movies are probably going to get worse before they get better (unless Matthew Vaughn pulls a miracle out of where he sits), and NOT see First Class. Worst case scenario, the movie bombs, Fox cancels all these spin-offs of spin-offs, Ryan Reynolds just plays Green Lantern and we see a reboot called Uncanny X-Men in like three years.

BEST case scenario, the movie bombs, Fox gives up altogether, and the rights go back to Disney/Marvel just in time for Hugh Jackman to join the cast of Avengers 2. And if THAT doesn't tickle your nerd boner, just think of this; if Fox gives up on X-Men, the rights get back to Marvel, and that makes a Wolverine VS. Hulk movie possible. You want X-Men 4...or Wolverine Vs. Hulk?

Just think about it.
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby LiQuid » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 12:16am

Raine wrote:That. . . may actually be a reasonable point of view to have. I think it was you that said you thought Batman and Robin was better than the Dark Knight because Dark Knight was "GRRR, I'm dark and serious!" and Batman and Robin was crazy, comicy-booky slapstick action, and I'm guessing there's a similar train of thought there.

Yeah, I love my comic book movies to be comic booky. My top 3 of all time are Punisher Warzone, the first Fantastic Four and then probably a toss up between Batman Forever and X-men 3.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 12:18am

ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:BEST case scenario, the movie bombs, blah blah blah

Jesus Christ dude. Try having some fun at the movies once.
LiQuid

Postby ReturnOfTheOgre » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 1:08am

LiQuid wrote:
ReturnOfTheOgre wrote:BEST case scenario, the movie bombs, blah blah blah

Jesus Christ dude. Try having some fun at the movies once.

The last time I had fun at the movies was Yogi Bear. Now THAT was an erotic thriller!
ReturnOfTheOgre

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 12:01pm

Raine wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:Better than the first one.

I dunno about that. It had better ideas than the first one, I'll give it that, but it wasn't executed as well as the first one. . . which doesn't say much, because the first one was obviously and sloppily taking cues from The Matrix.

At least we all can agree that the third movie sucked, and the Wolverine movie was dumber than a sack of hammers.

The first one spent way too much time on set-up and explanation. The second one wasn't hindered by that, and any movie with Kelly Hu instantly gets a boost in my book.

Third movie was pretty bad. I'm the Juggernaut, bitch? Really?

Wolverine was awful, I can get with that.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 1:17pm

X-Men 2 isn't just the best X-Men movie, it's one of the best superhero movies, period.

X-Men 3 and Wolverine are easily among the worst.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 1:34pm

Master Higgins wrote:X-Men 2 isn't just the best X-Men movie, it's one of the best superhero movies, period.

X-Men 3 and Wolverine are easily among the worst.

Wow, for once we agree, Higgins.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 1:47pm

I didn't like X-Men 3: Last Stand for the same reasons why Superboy Prime doesn't like modern DC comics. "How do you kill off Professor X, Jean Grey, and Cyclops like that!? That's not how it happens!" But as a movie without preconceptions, it was pretty decent.

Wolverine however was just a sloppy production with a bad script.

It's been a while since I've seen X2, but I remember it being awesome/fun but somehow not as impressive as the first one.
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 1:57pm

X-Men 3 suffered because Brian Singer jumped off it to direct Superman Returns, leaving Brett Ratner in charge. I'm fine with characters getting killed, it's just how it was done.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 3:08pm

Master Higgins wrote:X-Men 3 and Wolverine are easily among the worst.

You guys are so full of shit. Really X-men 3 among the worst superhero movies of all time? Have you guys never seen the shit heaps that are Daredevil, Electra, or Ghostrider? And those were just recent, mainstream attempts at major Marvel characters. If I really wanted to dive into the gold mine I could pull out shit like Baby Geniuses 2... Or fuck, what about Superman 3 and 4? Superman 4 is FAR worse than any superhero movie that has come out in years.

I guess I really wouldn't trust a comic book fan's opinion on what makes an enjoyable film anyways. You guys are all probably too busy nerdraging over whichever one of the fifteen kajillion canons are getting toyed with.

I'm gonna go rewatch X-men 3 now. You guys can stay here and hate everything fun.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 3:15pm

LiQuid wrote:You guys are so full of shit. Really X-men 3 among the worst superhero movies of all time? Have you guys never seen the shit heaps that are Daredevil, Electra, or Ghostrider?
Hyperbole is par for the course here, you should know this. :lol:
kenzo

Postby jinpei05 » Apr 29th, 2011 @ 3:16pm

I should clarify that I agree with Higgins on that X2 was the best of the X-Men films and X3 and Wolverine were the worst among the X-Men films, not the worst superhero movies.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics