Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: STAR TREK

Postby darfox8 » Apr 25th, 2013 @ 6:53pm

I just came back from the cinema theater showing of The Best of Both Worlds movie edition. I was a little disappointed with the movie edition because I thought they were really gonna re-edit it to be film, but the only thing they did(that I noticed) was to take out the cliff hanger in the middle which sucks because that's the best part of the cliff hanger. But it still has the commercial fade outs and everything.

It was a good experience though because they also showed a making of feature and the Season 3 bloopers and that played really well with the crowd. The auditorium was probably a little less than half full which was more than I expected.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 26th, 2013 @ 9:10am

darfox8 wrote:I just came back from the cinema theater showing of The Best of Both Worlds movie edition. I was a little disappointed with the movie edition because I thought they were really gonna re-edit it to be film, but the only thing they did(that I noticed) was to take out the cliff hanger in the middle which sucks because that's the best part of the cliff hanger. But it still has the commercial fade outs and everything.

It was a good experience though because they also showed a making of feature and the Season 3 bloopers and that played really well with the crowd. The auditorium was probably a little less than half full which was more than I expected.

Our theater was packed, easily 75-80% full. Lots of geeks around here.

I was hoping they'd edit in the Wolf 359 battle from the DS9 opening, but alas.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 26th, 2013 @ 12:34pm

Higgins, have you changed your mind yet about the blurays?
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 26th, 2013 @ 1:15pm

kenzo wrote:Higgins, have you changed your mind yet about the blurays?

About getting them? Amazon had them at 65% off, and it was still like $55 per season. It's just way too expensive. When I see the whole set for about $200, I'll get them.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 26th, 2013 @ 2:41pm

Master Higgins wrote:

About getting them? Amazon had them at 65% off, and it was still like $55 per season. It's just way too expensive. When I see the whole set for about $200, I'll get them.
Says the man who will buy shit like the Man of Steel limited edition box set for $200 when all you're getting is a 2hr movie.

But at least this stance is progress over your previous one of, "no, fuck their horrible edits never in a million years."
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Apr 26th, 2013 @ 2:47pm

kenzo wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:

Says the man who will buy shit like the Man of Steel limited edition box set for $200 when all you're getting is a 2hr movie.

But at least this stance is progress over your previous one of, "no, fuck their horrible edits never in a million years."

Did I bitch about the blurays? I don't even remember. I bought the TOS ones because they have both versions. I'm fine with fixing the graphics to accommodate the higher resolution, but not if they're outright changing the effects, like on TOS.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Apr 29th, 2013 @ 2:31pm

Master Higgins wrote:Did I bitch about the blurays? I don't even remember. I bought the TOS ones because they have both versions. I'm fine with fixing the graphics to accommodate the higher resolution, but not if they're outright changing the effects, like on TOS.
You cried like a baby with zero context of what you were talking about. If you watched Best of Both Worlds and weren't annoyed by the how they handled the FX, then you have no problem with how they're handling the Bluray releases.
kenzo

Postby Fade2Black » May 7th, 2013 @ 10:17am

Go Bilbo! (best ad I've seen in ages)

Fade2Black

Postby kenzo » May 8th, 2013 @ 4:23pm

like a boss
kenzo

Postby kenzo » May 8th, 2013 @ 4:56pm

I disagree with a placements (I would have put the Undiscovered Country a bit higher, Generations a bit lower), but this is a pretty good list for Star Trek movies.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 20th, 2013 @ 8:23am

LiQuid

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » May 21st, 2013 @ 7:36pm

nm, moved this to the into darkness thread
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby Rodney » May 29th, 2013 @ 5:05pm

Season 6 of TNG is pretty great.

The Enterprise crew follow Data to San Francisco of the 1890s. The crew deals with Samuel Clemens and runs into Jack London while trying to find a way to prevent aliens from interfering with 19th century Earth.
(I always thought this was a joke episode, didn't realize it was a two-parter and season 5's cliffhanger. LOL @ Mark Twain & Data's 500 year old head)

Barclay must overcome his fear of the transporter to solve a mystery.
(Broccoli is afraid of everything but the BEST)

A psychic ambassador uses Deanna's mind to influence the outcome of his mission.
(LOL what were they thinking, Troi gets trampy and ages a hundred years DUMB)

The Enterprise investigates a vessel that crashed on the surface of a Dyson sphere 75 years ago. A pattern is found in the transporter buffer which turns out to be Mr. Scott. He is released from the buffer and later agrees to return to the vessel with Geordi to help restore the logs. They become the only hope when the Enterprise is accidentally pulled inside the sphere.
(Scotty drinks "It's... Green" and is generally useless but ultimately saves the Enterprise and passes the torch to Geordi and Scotty is awesome)

Several members of the crew are abducted and experimented on while they sleep.
(I swear this episode played more than any other in syndication, I remember being super scared of this as a kid when they go on the holodeck and remake the nightmare table and it was on TV ALL THE TIME)

Q reveals a secret about a young woman from Kansas who is visiting the Enterprise.
(I was wondering what happened to Q and then this happened. LOL at the girl using her Q powers to seduce Riker LOLOLOL)

A transporter malfunction turns Picard, Keiko, Ro, and Guinan into children who become the ship's only hope when they are left aboard while the adult crew are forced to perform dangerous labor by Ferengi pirates.
(Ferengi take over the Enterprise=not possible but adorable kids save the day and Picard throws a tantrum LOL @ Miles and his kid wife Keiko even Molly thinks WEIRD)

Data's mind is connected to the ship's computer which creates unforeseen effects on the holodeck.
(Wild Wild Worf & Data is twirling his mustache LOLOL 3 joke episodes in a row)

Data observes that mining tools have become sentient beings and fights for their preservation. To save Capt Picard, the tools must be put in harms way. Data refuses to allow this since it is unacceptable to kill one sentient being to save another. One of these tools decide to give his own life to save the others.
(Serious business episode but why do the robots have FEET?)

Wow, I don't know what I'm going to do when I finish this series, I'll have finally watched every episode of all the modern Treks.. should I watch all of TOS/TAS/pre-TNG movies ???
Rodney

Postby Master Higgins » May 30th, 2013 @ 9:09am

Oh, I would. TOS is great, but you just have to be accepting of a show from that long ago. But hell, TNG is almost 30 years old now, so what's the difference.

If you haven't seen Star Trek 1-6, then yes, you should absolutely watch TOS and then the movies. The movies are (mostly) fantastic.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Mr_eX » May 30th, 2013 @ 10:53am

Watch Enterprise again, it's the best
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 30th, 2013 @ 1:16pm

Oh man, the Rodney-rundown is the greatest thing ever. It's too bad you left season 6, because it's all downhill from there. Season 7 has some moments, but is nowhere near as good as the four seasons preceding it. Brain-drain at its finest.

The exocomps have feet because they need to be able to stand while they're not doing shit. Otherwise they'd just... roll on the ground or something.

Most people lose their shit for Best of Both Worlds, but the Season 5 cliffhanger is easily my favorite 2-parter in the whole franchise. It's so much more fun, plus DATA'S FUCKIN' HEAD. I love that Futurama did the same thing with Bender.

Rodney, you've seen Enterprise? Since when? Have we talked about this and I simply forgot?

And yeah, dive head first into TOS/TAS/the movies. If you've come this far, you've clearly been indoctrinated to the point where you'll be forgiving of the old shit. The one thing I recommend is to make sure you watch the HD remasters of TOS - it makes watching the old stuff a lot more manageable, so you can be less distracted by awful shit like watching the Enterprise hang by visible strings, or by how old and cruddy and blurry everything looks. TOS has some surprisingly good episodes and action, although if you're like me, you'll be left in stitches quite often by how hilaribad things get from time to time.

Also, make sure to watch TAS. It's fucking hilarious, and undeservedly gets a bum rep.

Also also, when watching the original films, go out of your way to find the Director's Cut of The Motion Picture. It's a way better version of that film. It turns an almost unwatchable mess into something a lot easier to digest and almost interesting.

If you're gonna re-watch Enterprise, I suggest doing so after watching TOS, simply so that a lot of references make more sense to you and it's the most optimal experience. But if you're going to watch it for the first time, whenever is fine (Mr_eX clearly enjoyed the show even though he doesn't know anything about Star Trek).
kenzo

Postby Rodney » May 30th, 2013 @ 7:49pm

Mr_eX wrote:Watch Enterprise again, it's the best

kenzo wrote:Rodney, you've seen Enterprise? Since when? Have we talked about this and I simply forgot?

How do you not remember this, I seriously tell you this fact literally every time we talk about Star Trek. It's the only Star Trek series I watched through twice. Everytime eX says "Enterprise is the best Star Trek" I always chime in that I think it's probably the best place for non-Trek fans to start watching.

Master Higgins wrote:But hell, TNG is almost 30 years old now, so what's the difference.

Between that statement and watching the 20th(!) anniversary showing of Jurassic Park last month I officially feel old.
Rodney

Postby kenzo » Jun 7th, 2013 @ 12:01am

kenzo

Postby dakazu » Jun 11th, 2013 @ 2:59am

Started SLOWLY making my way through DS9. Watched S1E2 and was kinda unimpressed. Unlike Voyager, I haven't immediately found a likable character yet. I kinda like Quark but I don't know enough about him yet.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 11th, 2013 @ 6:12am

Eventually you'll end up liking most of the characters
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Jun 11th, 2013 @ 7:35am

I think the bromanship between Bashir and Obrien was my favorite part of DS9's cast.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 11th, 2013 @ 11:27am

dakazu wrote:Started SLOWLY making my way through DS9. Watched S1E2 and was kinda unimpressed. Unlike Voyager, I haven't immediately found a likable character yet. I kinda like Quark but I don't know enough about him yet.
Every character in DS9 is pretty much the best in Star Trek. They're so much more interesting than the Voyager cast it's not funny.
kenzo

Postby darfox8 » Jun 11th, 2013 @ 8:05pm

My least favorite character is probably Dax but even her i like quite a bit. Granted this opinion is formed after I saw the whole series and some of the characters don't get defined until the 2nd or 3rd season. So if your meh on some don't worry they get better/more interesting.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby dakazu » Jun 12th, 2013 @ 3:33am

Saw S1E3. Seeing some parallels to a western in this series, with Sisko being the new sheriff in town. This episode ended kinda abruptly with no real epilogue though.
dakazu

Postby darfox8 » Jun 12th, 2013 @ 3:25pm

Yep. That's exactly what it's suppose to be.
darfox8

Postby kenzo » Jun 13th, 2013 @ 1:23pm

Star Trek bluray sets on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 54CRMJJWE0

Today only.
kenzo

Postby dakazu » Jun 17th, 2013 @ 8:50pm

Finished S1E4. Thought is was alright and I liked the episode title. I'm still not really like any of the characters. I liked the back and forth between Odo and Quark but that's still about it.

Also Odo transformed into a cart.
dakazu

Postby Mr_eX » Jun 17th, 2013 @ 8:54pm

You're only 4 episodes in...
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby dakazu » Jun 17th, 2013 @ 11:28pm

S1E5 was probably the first episode of DS9 that I really liked. I liked O'Brian's relationship with Tosk and how the episode plays out. The battles scene reminded me how old this TV show was.

I have to say I was disappointed I didn't see Odo turn into anything this episode.
dakazu

Postby kenzo » Jun 18th, 2013 @ 1:18am

dakazu wrote:I have to say I was disappointed I didn't see Odo turn into anything this episode.
For being a shapeshifter, Odo does hardly any shapeshifting throughout the series. So... yeah, be ready for him to not transform much.
kenzo

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics