Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

STAR TREK

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 8:15pm

I'm about to watch Star Trek TNG for the first time and needed a thread to talk about it in. Coming off of Doctor Who season 5 I'm probably going to hate it. I can't wait.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Re: STAR TREK

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 10th, 2011 @ 9:48pm

First episode is boring.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 2:00am

I'm watching TAS (The Animated Series) for the first time and it's absolutely incredible. Some of the time, it's actually well written - better than the original show. At other times, it's so bad and laughable that it's good.

TNG's first season is bad. "Encounter at Farpoint" is dumb. "The Naked Now" is awful (and a blatant ripoff of a TOS episode). "Honor Code" is OK, but I don't like how condescending the crew is towards another culture - it's very un-Star Trek like. "The Last Outpost", which introduces the Ferengi, is stupid in hindsight (they set up the Ferengi to be one of the big antagonists in TNG, and it goes nowhere). "Where No One Has Gone Before," is the first of many episodes staring Wesley Crusher, who you will soon grow to loathe. I don't even remember "Lonely Among Us," but it's written by Star Trek legend DC Fontana, so it's probably okay. "Justice" is a laughably bad episode, but is most noteworthy for its costume design (or lack of). "The Battle" is probably the first decent episode in Season 1 - so you've got a good 7-8 episodes until it starts getting good.

My favorite episodes in S1:
-The Battle
-Hide and Q (it's bad, but it's Q)
-The Big Goodbye (1st holodeck episode! Nominated for a number of awards)
-Datalore (Lore!!!)
-Angel One (Attack of the hawt lady aliens)
-11001001 (Fuckin' binary code)
-Symbiosis (David Marcus!!!)
-Skin of Evil (It's an interesting episode)
-We'll Always Have Paris (Great Picard/Data episode)
-The Neutral Zone (Ominous return of the Romulans and foreshadowing of the Borg)
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 3:04am

TNG doesn't get good until Riker gets a beard. Even then, at it's best it's only about half as good as the worst episodes of DS9. None of the seminal favorite episodes of TNG stand up to The Visitor in my mind.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 3:14am

"The Visitor" was a pretty fuckin' great episode. I'd still say that "The Inner Light" from TNG S5 was just as good.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:34am

All I know is I fell a sleep during the first episode of TNG, woke up 10 minutes later and something important happened and I didn't care enough to rewind it.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby IMLabman » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 8:11am

Any episode with Q in it is awesome!
IMLabman

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 10:33am

Q is in the first episode and it is not awesome.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 10:50am

The first two seasons are a little rough, but I still like them. By season 3, the show is pretty much awesome. TNG is on my short list of favorite tv shows of all time.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby dabeast0976 » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 11:53am

DS9 wins just for having Chief Miles O'Brien as a lead.
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
dabeast0976

Postby IMLabman » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 12:35pm

Mr_eX wrote:Q is in the first episode and it is not awesome.

It was awesome when I first saw it as a kid, and it remains awesome in my memory today. :lol:
IMLabman

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 4:01pm

dabeast0976 wrote:DS9 wins just for having Chief Miles O'Brien as a lead.

Every time I think about Chief O'Brien, I feel bad. They seriously do the most fucked up things to his character. And he's so likable because he's so flawed - it's almost cute when he gets racist.

Master Higgins wrote:The first two seasons are a little rough, but I still like them. By season 3, the show is pretty much awesome. TNG is on my short list of favorite tv shows of all time.
Short list? TNG is the list for me.

Mr_eX wrote:All I know is I fell a sleep during the first episode of TNG, woke up 10 minutes later and something important happened and I didn't care enough to rewind it.
I rewatched every awful episode of Doctor Who and Spartacus that I fell asleep during. I demand satisfaction!
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 4:32pm

I only fell asleep for 10 minutes though and I got the gist of what happened. Basically what appeared to be an alien ship came and attacked the space station, thats all I missed and when I woke up and there was still 20 minutes of the episode left.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 5:39pm

IMLabman wrote:
It was awesome when I first saw it as a kid, and it remains awesome in my memory today. :lol:
Q himself in the first episode is pretty awesome, but the rest of the episode is pretty garbage.

Also, how legit is the battle-bridge? I'm kind of disappointed that the show hardly ever uses it. The whole premise of the Enterprise D is that they can bring families along, but ditch them in the event of a battle. But they haul the saucer section along into battle all the time and it's pretty appalling/lame.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:26pm

kenzo wrote:
IMLabman wrote:
Q himself in the first episode is pretty awesome, but the rest of the episode is pretty garbage.

Also, how legit is the battle-bridge? I'm kind of disappointed that the show hardly ever uses it. The whole premise of the Enterprise D is that they can bring families along, but ditch them in the event of a battle. But they haul the saucer section along into battle all the time and it's pretty appalling/lame.

The separate the saucer at the drop of a hat in the first season, and then never talk about it again. :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:28pm

Master Higgins wrote:
kenzo wrote:
IMLabman wrote:

The separate the saucer at the drop of a hat in the first season, and then never talk about it again. :lol:

It comes off again on the two parter, "The Best of Both Worlds."
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:51pm

jinpei05 wrote:
Master Higgins wrote:The separate the saucer at the drop of a hat in the first season, and then never talk about it again. :lol:
It comes off again on the two parter, "The Best of Both Worlds."
They actually talk about doing it all the time, but there's always some bullshit reason why they can't actually do it. Like the episode where Data hijacks the Enterprise to go visit Dr. Soong, the command crew from Engineering try to force a saucer separation in order cut-off/trap Data, but he locks them out of the computers at the last second.

They also disengage the Saucer Section in the episode "Arsenal of Freedom."

You guys are also forgetting the titular crash scene in Generations which was the best part of that film.
Last edited by kenzo on Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 6:56pm

Also apparently, most Enterprises can jettison their saucer sections in times of emergency, but it's not meant to be a routine thing that you can easily reattach later:
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 7:43pm

2nd episode was better than the first.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 7:49pm

kenzo wrote:You guys are also forgetting the titular crash scene in Generations which was the best part of that film.

And YOU are forgetting that that movie is a piece of shit.
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 7:51pm

jinpei05 wrote:
kenzo wrote:You guys are also forgetting the titular crash scene in Generations which was the best part of that film.

Generations was fine, Internet.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 7:56pm

Master Higgins wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:

Keep telling yourself that. I'll be watching First Contact over her and laughing at your foolishness. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 7:59pm

Other than the JJ Abrams Star Trek movie I'd say First Contact is my favorite.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby jinpei05 » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 8:11pm

About time you said something smart and insightful after all that Ghostbusters theme bullshit. :lol:
jinpei05
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 8:33pm

Master Higgins wrote:
jinpei05 wrote:
As a movie, it was an awful movie. But if you viewed it like a two hour episode, it was pretty good. If you just look at the checklist of the shit that happens in the film, it's pretty epic:
Spoiler: show
-The Enterprise-D blows up in an extraordinary fashion.
-Picard has his moment where he confronts his mortality for the first real time.
-Data finally gets his emotion chip.
-WHOOPI!
-There is minimal Councilor Troi to ruin things.
-The Duras Sister are the primary antagonists.
-The debut of the Enterprise-B.
-Ensemble cast of both TNG and TOS.
-The death of the infamous Captain Kirk.
It just isn't done very well. I love the film, but I have to admit it has lots of problems. Also, have you seen the Red Letter Media bit on this movie?

Mr_eX wrote:Other than the JJ Abrams Star Trek movie I'd say First Contact is my favorite.
God damnit. Fail fail fail. The Wrath of Kahn, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country were all better films than those two. God damnit eX. We've got to reprogram you.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 8:52pm

Wrath of Kahn was boring

3rd episode of TNG was stupid.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 9:02pm

Mr_eX wrote:Wrath of Kahn was boring
No. The Motion Picture was boring. The Wrath of Kahn was easily one of the top 3 sci fi films of all time.

Mr_eX wrote:3rd episode of TNG was stupid.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 10:07pm

So far I'd say SG-1 > TNG
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby Master Higgins » Mar 11th, 2011 @ 10:59pm

Mr_eX wrote:So far I'd say SG-1 > TNG

I'm really, really surprised how much I'm liking SG-1, but it can't hold a candle to TNG. Just keep watching.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby kenzo » Mar 12th, 2011 @ 12:17am

Master Higgins wrote:
Mr_eX wrote:So far I'd say SG-1 > TNG

I'm really, really surprised how much I'm liking SG-1, but it can't hold a candle to TNG. Just keep watching.

SG1 is a pretender to the throne TNG and DS9 occupy.
kenzo

Next
Forum Statistics