Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: STAR TREK

Postby darfox8 » Sep 10th, 2013 @ 12:53pm

I feel like there definitely was an episode like that but I've been wracking my brain since yesterdy and can't remember it. There's that really good TNG episode called "The Outsider" where they meet a genderless species who occasionally exzibit attraction to male or females when they shouldn't. And Riker is like "So what if she's like chick let her be a chick" but the government was like "Nope! Brain wipe!". Or that DS9 episode where Odo tries to raise a baby warrior alien but he rejects it and still wants to be a crazy warrior alien. Neither of these things are what your asking but I can't think of any.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby seamus2389 » Sep 11th, 2013 @ 5:05pm

darfox8 wrote:I feel like there definitely was an episode like that but I've been wracking my brain since yesterdy and can't remember it. There's that really good TNG episode called "The Outsider" where they meet a genderless species who occasionally exzibit attraction to male or females when they shouldn't. And Riker is like "So what if she's like chick let her be a chick" but the government was like "Nope! Brain wipe!". Or that DS9 episode where Odo tries to raise a baby warrior alien but he rejects it and still wants to be a crazy warrior alien. Neither of these things are what your asking but I can't think of any.

I just watched that episode about the genderless species and it kinda has me wanting to watch TNG just to see how many episodes I can spot based on well known sci-fi novels cause this one is definitely based on Le Guin's Left hand of Darkness. On the other hand if this is a very good of TNG I might not enjoy the experience cause this episode was only ok for my possible cause I have read the Left hand of Darkness although this episode was more of pro-LGBTQI than an exploration of the meaning of gender
seamus2389

Postby darfox8 » Sep 11th, 2013 @ 10:09pm

Well I really like it. I definitely liked the sci-fiy things in the ep like the other species with no gender and how the society views gender but I also loved Riker putting the moves on this chick and it totally hit me in the feelings when she was Brain derped. And I was like nooooo RikerXGenderlesschick 4EVER!

I think your too well read for out petty shit. You have to much expectations for this mostly mainstream serialized TV show.
I stream games some times. Come and watch www.twitch.tv/darfox8 These are my Highlights.
darfox8

Postby seamus2389 » Sep 15th, 2013 @ 6:59pm

I have finished watching the first season of deep space nine (6 episodes of it anyway, the good ones from what I have been told). So far it reminds me of the first season of Babylon 5 - rough in parts but the world and the characters they show sketches means I will keep watching. The humour in parts is woeful and the staging of the show is very static - just 2 people talking while either standing or sitting but that alot with the CGI is what comes with early 90's tv I guess. Also male leader with female second in command is another parallel with B5

I know Rondald D Moore was on the show for years but there is already plot points that could reappear in Battlestar Galactica. A prophetised leader, a strong interest in religion and a character saying that it's a bad idea to look at one gods (which in BSG became an important plot point) . Odo, Kira and their identity problems reappear in BSG as well.

Darfox mentioned that the guy who plays Sisko has a memorable voice/performance and while I found it a bit odd at first I have grown to like it. That said the character I find the most interesting is Kira (the advice I was given is any episode that has a lot of her is a good episode, so far it's true)

The Ferengi as space jews I find racist and offputting. The show so far is better than most science fiction in depicting non-human races as more than a single trait/sterotype but with them it's fucking terrible - scheming and money is all Quark seems to be about, that and them being the most inhuman/ugliest race.Also was there someone whose sole purpose was to write technobabble and is there less of it as the show goes on cause that shit is annoying

Finally it's really weird seeing a person as Irish as O'Brien in space. On to season 2.
seamus2389

Postby darfox8 » Sep 16th, 2013 @ 1:04pm

I feel like DS9 had the least amount of technobabble compared to other Star Treks. It's always there but it's never really necessary or important. I assume you saw an episode with Garak. The lone Cardassian left on the station who's a tailor but there's more than meets the eye. I liked him from the moment they introduced him but his role gets better and better.
darfox8

Postby seamus2389 » Sep 16th, 2013 @ 1:32pm

darfox8 wrote:I feel like DS9 had the least amount of technobabble compared to other Star Treks. It's always there but it's never really necessary or important. I assume you saw an episode with Garak. The lone Cardassian left on the station who's a tailor but there's more than meets the eye. I liked him from the moment they introduced him but his role gets better and better.

He was very insistent on the doctor getting a new suit.
seamus2389

Postby kenzo » Sep 16th, 2013 @ 1:47pm

If you are a reasonable Hu-man worth your weight in latinum, then very quickly you'll realize that the Ferengi (and specifically Quark) are the best things in all of Star Trek.
kenzo

Postby seamus2389 » Sep 24th, 2013 @ 4:47pm

kenzo wrote:If you are a reasonable Hu-man worth your weight in latinum, then very quickly you'll realize that the Ferengi (and specifically Quark) are the best things in all of Star Trek.

From what I heard Quark centred episodes are good but more Ferengi centred ones not so much. Watched the season 2 three parter which was good and should have the second season finished off this week since most the episodes look to be skippable.

If matter replicators exist why is gold pressed latinum a thing. Shouldn't everything come down to mass (asteroids or planets even) and energy (the sun) which replaces capitalism/markets cause there is no such thing as scarcity or is there some handing waving where replicators can't make everything

PS - Kira really reminds me of Lena Dunham and I am using http://wrongquestions.blogspot.ie/2008/02/back-through-wormhole-table-of-contents.html to figure out what to watch
seamus2389

Postby darfox8 » Sep 24th, 2013 @ 6:27pm

I only read the introduction of that series of blog post but holy cow is that [girl] good at writing about an old TV show. I was at first going to protest that you skip any episode of the second season but I don't think that guy would steer you too wrong. Even when I disagree with some of the things he was saying he was articulating way better then I could of so respect. Just make sure you don't skip "Whispers", I'm pretty sure it was the first honest to god O'Brien must suffer episode.

Edit: I assumed it was a dood but it was a deeda.
darfox8

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 8:06am

Started on Voyager. Man, those graphics are rougher than I remember.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby LiQuid » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 8:38am

You need to tighten up the graphics on level 3!!!!!!!

LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 10:59am

Master Higgins wrote:Started on Voyager. Man, those graphics are rougher than I remember.
Voyager's CG holds up a lot better than some shows. Voyager was actually the first Trek show to go all-CGI for the starships. So if you don't notice a difference between the miniature ships from TNG and Voyager, that's a victory for Voyager. IMO the only cringe-worthy graphics are when they use CGI to do the aliens like species 8472.
kenzo

Postby seamus2389 » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 2:02pm

So a star trek themed rap battle got started on the Av club deep space nine rewatch and even though I don't get all the references it reminds me that comments for reviews can be occasionally amazing. I assume the below quote means something cause some of the commenters lost their shit. Also the last scene of ending Necessary Evil was awesome and this is possible the best episode I have seen so far

Do your worst, but you gonna catch Hell
like a city named Shaka when the walls fell

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rules-of ... vil,72456/
seamus2389

Postby darfox8 » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 2:10pm

It's a reference to an episode of TNG called Darmok. It's one of my personal favorites where Captain Picard has to learn to communicate with as species which is not compatible with the universal translator. It translates their worlds just fine but it sounds like gibberish because they're language is fundamentally different. It was built upon references and metaphors in their culture. So when they said "Shaka when the walls fell" it generally meant as something like failure or something wasn't working.
darfox8

Postby Master Higgins » Sep 25th, 2013 @ 4:48pm

"Why you think your holographic girlfriend is two-timin' with Barclay?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby seamus2389 » Sep 26th, 2013 @ 4:09pm

Master Higgins wrote:"Why you think your holographic girlfriend is two-timin' with Barclay?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Round two of the battle is in the 2nd page of the episode's following recap in which a victor is crowned and gives a rap ode to his defeated enemy
seamus2389

Postby Mr_eX » Oct 11th, 2013 @ 9:49am

Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Oct 11th, 2013 @ 12:24pm

Wow.
LiQuid

Postby Master Higgins » Oct 14th, 2013 @ 11:54am

Fan films should be illegal, just so I never have to see one again.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby meDotJS » Oct 14th, 2013 @ 1:15pm

I'll be honest, I have mixed feelings about that. They happen to be an actual production company that obviously has skilled actors, and they care about what they're doing, but it would've been better if they'd followed a new crew with their skills instead of trying to finish off TOS. Having an entirely different cast trying to play the exact same crew takes you out of the experience. They felt like actors doing bad impressions for a parody film. JJ Abrams got away with it by setting it before the events of TOS in an alternate timeline while masking it up with lens flare, a movie soundtrack, and a shitload of special effects. These guys are trying to emulate TOS exactly and they'll never succeed at it. It's impossible to do, and it's a shame that what looks like such a talented group of people is wasting their time trying to do so.
Liquid wrote:"meDotJS - Today at 8:20 PM
I just googled it
and I'm wrong"
its official
even google says medot is wrong
meDotJS

Postby kenzo » Feb 17th, 2014 @ 8:19pm

Man, I remember when Higgins was acting like an idiot over the TNG Remasters. Worried they'd change shit. Man. I need a better job or something in order to afford these because they look AMAZING.

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Feb 17th, 2014 @ 8:29pm

Looks like it's time to finally watch TNG from start to finish.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Feb 17th, 2014 @ 8:56pm

I think they're only up to S4. They've released at a pace of about 2 seasons/year.
kenzo

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 23rd, 2014 @ 9:53am

LiQuid wrote:Looks like it's time to finally watch TNG from start to finish.

75% of it is super boring.
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby LiQuid » Feb 23rd, 2014 @ 12:13pm

It's Star Trek. I don't know why you think that's news to anyone. I've seen a lot of TNG. It's fine. It's no DS9, but it's fine. Just never made the effort to go thru the whole series from start to finish.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Feb 23rd, 2014 @ 3:20pm

Mr_eX is a retard.
kenzo

Postby Master Higgins » Feb 24th, 2014 @ 10:04am

Mr_eX wrote:
LiQuid wrote:Looks like it's time to finally watch TNG from start to finish.

75% of it is super boring.

You're fired.
--
Ryan Higgins
Comics Conspiracy
115-A E. Fremont Ave
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
Master Higgins
They go up

Postby Mr_eX » Feb 24th, 2014 @ 10:27am

I can't wait to start rewatching Enterprise
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby darfox8 » Feb 24th, 2014 @ 11:50am

I got a big fat thing I want to wright up on Voyager but I want to wait until I finish. I near the end of Season 6 so hopefully I can poop sock it soon. Spoiler alert for the wright up: it's not very positive.
darfox8

Postby seamus2389 » Mar 5th, 2014 @ 7:00pm

I now up to season 4 of DS9 (I skipped all of 3 cause I read it was pretty shit bar a few episodes I might come back to later). The second episode of season 4 the visitor about Jake Sisko talking about how he lost/ never lost his father has to be one of the best episodes of tv/sci-fi short story I have ever read/seen - start to finish fucking brilliant and heartbreaking. The next few episodes with Bashir helping the Jem'H guys and Kira/Dukat are also quite good which from what I have read should be expected for this season which is meant to have the most consistent run of episodes worth watching.

Also I am going to plug Farscape cause I am half way through the third season (of four) and that show another really good sci-fi and it's willingness to do weird ass episodes like Scratch n Sniff which I would describe as Farscape meets Springbreakers is a constant delight. That combined with the visitor really has me wanting someone to bring back the Twilight Zone cause all there is at the moment is a few episodes of Charlie Booker's brilliant black mirror to scratch my sci-fi anthology itch. Also watch the Twilight Zone.
seamus2389

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics