Wherein we discuss scripted events which are broadcast over analog and digital channels.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby LiQuid » May 24th, 2015 @ 11:47pm

Glad they didn't wait too long to give Cersei hers. She was fucking insufferable this season.

That Sand Snake chicks got some nice ass titties tho, right???
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 25th, 2015 @ 1:46am

LiQuid wrote:That Sand Snake chicks got some nice ass titties tho, right???

kenzo

Postby kevinep3 » May 26th, 2015 @ 5:00am

kenzo wrote:
LiQuid wrote:That Sand Snake chicks got some nice ass titties tho, right???

When I watched that scene I was jus thinking like man ladies just love showing off their boobs in this show, also god damn.
psn:kevinep331, xbl:kevinep3, steam:kevinep3
kevinep3

Postby kevinep3 » May 31st, 2015 @ 7:07pm

Tonight's ep was fucking great
kevinep3

Postby Mr_eX » May 31st, 2015 @ 8:38pm

Best episode of the series
Mr_eX
Geekbox VIP

Postby kenzo » May 31st, 2015 @ 10:25pm

kenzo

Postby LiQuid » May 31st, 2015 @ 11:34pm

People are so easily amused. This is the first episode this season where anything happens. There was some cool stuff but it was a lot of shakycam grimdark fighty nonsense.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » May 31st, 2015 @ 11:57pm

I don't think the fights were all that amazing, but they're pretty OK. But mostly, it's the fulfillment of a several years old promise that these fucking snow-zombies and their lich overlords are actually going to be doing shit so we can see the meta-plot progress a little.
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 8th, 2015 @ 9:36pm

Everybody thought last week's episode was the episode. This week's episode was the episode.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jun 8th, 2015 @ 9:56pm

Remember when the Unsullied used to rule? I barely do. They're so shit tier lately a bunch of masked idiots with steak knives fuck them up.

LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 8th, 2015 @ 10:20pm

They're supposed to be like, this metaphor for the US in Iraq, where crack special forces trained for warfare not being very well suited to occupation and policing.

And yet, in this show it's not very fucking convincing. I get that a mob of mask-faces should take out a single soldier ambushed in an alley. But stick 'em in a chaotic situation like that where a mask-guy overpowers them one-on-one and it's just fuckin' dumb.

Also, where is the fucking security for this place? They've already had attempts on the Queen's life. How do you just let a bunch of mooks enter a closed space like that full of weapons and giant masks??
kenzo

Postby LiQuid » Jun 8th, 2015 @ 10:42pm

LiQuid

Postby BeowolfSchaefer » Jun 10th, 2015 @ 3:53pm

kenzo wrote:Also, where is the fucking security for this place? They've already had attempts on the Queen's life. How do you just let a bunch of mooks enter a closed space like that full of weapons and giant masks??

I think the number of mask dudes was what gave them the advantage. Nobody in Khaleesi's government suspected there were so many. That's my guess anyway.
BeowolfSchaefer

Postby LiQuid » Jun 11th, 2015 @ 12:13am

Me irl

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jun 11th, 2015 @ 12:16am

Jorah's fatroll makes me sad. He needs to get get under 50% load.
LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jun 14th, 2015 @ 10:55pm

LiQuid

Postby LiQuid » Jun 14th, 2015 @ 11:02pm

Seriously, half the cast died tonight. RIP.
LiQuid

Postby kenzo » Jun 15th, 2015 @ 1:29am

Yeah, pretty brutal. I'm pretty sure every named character in westeros is going to be kill before Danny shows up at the end to burn all the zombies with her dragons
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 17th, 2015 @ 9:17pm

Just finished marathoning the season like I usually do.

So, anyone have any problems with the changes from the books so far?

I don't. This season still hit what few high points books 4 and 5 had. It was a good idea to take book 3, which was awesome and split it into 2 seasons, and take books 4 and 5, which sucked, and combine them into 1.

There's kinda just one major plot thread from the books that they're either skipping altogether, or they're saving it for later, that being [book spoiler:]
Spoiler: show
Caitlin Stark's resurrection. Which is weird, because they already introduced all the characters that facilitate that plot thread.

There really was no Bran in this season at all. Also, is Ghost's CGI, like, crazy expensive or something? He was in this season for a grand total of 3 seconds! And, you know what, would have come in pretty handy at the end there. Shows up to help Sam, is nowhere to be found for Jon.
DarthEnder

Postby GiantAsianMan » Jun 18th, 2015 @ 11:31am

DarthEnder wrote:There's kinda just one major plot thread from the books that they're either skipping altogether, or they're saving it for later, that being [book spoiler:]
Caitlin Stark's resurrection. Which is weird, because they already introduced all the characters that facilitate that plot thread.

I'd wager they're skipping it altogether:
Since the prevailing theory is that Jon Snow isn't dead (or rather, is dead, but will be resurrected by Melisandre, who happened to bail on Stannis and arrive back at Castle Black at just the right moment), the storytelling reason why the showrunners would decide to cut Lady Stoneheart is that they might not have wanted to play the "main character resurrection" card too early. If they bring Caitlin back from the dead, then any major character who dies (so, literally everyone) is capable of returning, and that would ruin whatever suspense they are trying to create with Jon. Sure, we've seen Beric Dondarrion be resurrected, but that was most likely just to set up the fact that Red Priests (or Priestesses) are capable of such things so it doesn't seem completely out of left field if/when Melisandre does it to Jon. And once you do that with a major character, you really can't go back to that well again, so I doubt we'll see Zombie Caitlin at all in the series.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous
GiantAsianMan

Postby LiQuid » Jun 18th, 2015 @ 12:43pm

The Jon is a Targaryen theory is a pretty good one. It makes a lot of sense that he would be fucking Fantasy Jesus and come back and save the fucking world from bullshit AND have a rightful claim to the throne since that would prove how much of a fucking hack GRRM is, which I've always thought but have been unable to prove.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 18th, 2015 @ 8:36pm

LiQuid wrote:The Jon is a Targaryen theory is a pretty good one. It makes a lot of sense that he would be fucking Fantasy Jesus and come back and save the fucking world from bullshit AND have a rightful claim to the throne since that would prove how much of a fucking hack GRRM is, which I've always thought but have been unable to prove.
And you'll never be able to prove it, because he'll never actually get to the part of the books where that get's revealed.
DarthEnder

Postby LiQuid » Jun 18th, 2015 @ 10:57pm

Show is canon based on his broad ideas, and that's guaranteed to finish because actual human beings with actual human being time restraints are creating it.
LiQuid

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 20th, 2015 @ 11:07pm

Look, they can't both be canon. They both cover the same events, and they're not the same. That's not how canon works. You can't have two DIFFERENT canons.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Jun 20th, 2015 @ 11:44pm

DarthEnder wrote:Look, they can't both be canon. They both cover the same events, and they're not the same. That's not how canon works. You can't have two DIFFERENT canons.
And yet, we get the whole notion of 'canon' from the Bible - which does exactly just that, have different perspectives on the same person/events that conflict with each other. :lol:

Know what's got multiple things that are canon that cover the same events but are not the same? Macross. You know why? Because you can look at the shows/movies of the franchise as different (fictional) historical accounts of the same events from differing perspectives.

And, it's important to note that the Song of Ice and Fire series are all told from multiple perspectives. Who is to say all these perspectives are reliable?
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 21st, 2015 @ 5:38am

kenzo wrote:And yet, we get the whole notion of 'canon' from the Bible - which does exactly just that, have different perspectives on the same person/events that conflict with each other.
It also has nothing to do with the modern usage of the word as it relates to literature, which originated in discussions about the Sherlock Holmes universe.

kenzo wrote:And, it's important to note that the Song of Ice and Fire series are all told from multiple perspectives. Who is to say all these perspectives are reliable?
The guy who created it and gets to decide which ones are.
DarthEnder

Postby kevinep3 » Jun 21st, 2015 @ 7:20am

if comic books have taught me anything its that every single thing written by an official entity (ala HBO) is also canon. Its all canon just existing in different universes.
kevinep3

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 21st, 2015 @ 2:02pm

kevinep3 wrote:if comic books have taught me anything its that every single thing written by an official entity (ala HBO) is also canon. Its all canon just existing in different universes.
They aren't the SAME canon though. The canon of the TV series is separate form the canon of the books. You can choose which one you consider to be the canon you actually care about, but you can't say they're BOTH canon, because the two versions are not canonical to each other.

Marvel and DC universes are of course exceptions to this, because they specifically set up plot devices that allow characters to travel "between" their various continuities. And while not unique to comic books, the vast majority of media does not contain this plot device.
DarthEnder

Postby kenzo » Jun 21st, 2015 @ 2:12pm

DarthEnder wrote:
kenzo wrote:And yet, we get the whole notion of 'canon' from the Bible - which does exactly just that, have different perspectives on the same person/events that conflict with each other.
It also has nothing to do with the modern usage of the word as it relates to literature
ITT: DarthEnder doesn't understand what 'canon' means
kenzo

Postby DarthEnder » Jun 21st, 2015 @ 5:21pm

kenzo wrote:ITT: DarthEnder doesn't understand what 'canon' means
I know enough to know that, like many words, canon has more than a single meaning. And that the literary meaning is different from the religious one, and while we were clearly talking about the former, you're trying to use the latter, like a dipshit.

While we're at it, I think I'll go start a thread to discuss water fowl, and you can come in and start talking about construction equipment.
DarthEnder

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics